• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why do the Afghani's like the Taliban so much?

Stability and safety after years of chaos is preferable to the failed attempt at democracy?

I ;istened to a reporter that was alowoed access to a small town somewhere in maybe Somalia that was taken over by extreme Muslims. As he put it the town was safe and peaceful. People and businesses did not lock doors.
Happy enslavement. Not my cup of tea but if I've only ever known worse I can understand its appeal.

Stability and safety after years of chaos is preferable to the failed attempt at democracy?

I ;istened to a reporter that was alowoed access to a small town somewhere in maybe Somalia that was taken over by extreme Muslims. As he put it the town was safe and peaceful. People and businesses did not lock doors.
Crime levels were extremely low in the Third Reich, too. When the authorities are constantly watching everyone, and harshly punishing even the tiniest transgressions, it's a very bad idea to give them any excuse whatsoever to notice you or your family.

I think I would rather have someone steal my wallet at knifepoint, or break into my house and take my stuff, than live in such a climate of constant fear.

But I understand that lots of people feel the opposite way - they feel that low crime, clean streets, and a reliable railway system are far more important than wondering where the guys who kicked down the Cohen's door a few nights ago and dragged them away might have taken them.

Crime levels were extremely low in the Third Reich, too. When the authorities are constantly watching everyone, and harshly punishing even the tiniest transgressions, it's a very bad idea to give them any excuse whatsoever to notice you or your family.

I think I would rather have someone steal my wallet at knifepoint, or break into my house and take my stuff, than live in such a climate of constant fear.

But I understand that lots of people feel the opposite way - they feel that low crime, clean streets, and a reliable railway system are far more important than wondering where the guys who kicked down the Cohen's door a few nights ago and dragged them away might have taken them.

It's also worth pointing out the fascistic utopia steve is describing typically works very hard at supressing news stories about crime, which is slightly different to there actually having no crime in such regimes.

That's bullshit. First, it was not stable, otherwise USSR would not have invaded. And second, economically USSR did a lot of good, building schools, hospitals, sending afghans to study to Russia, the usual stuff. Their (really unavoidable) mistake was this religion thing, which piece of shit Raygun used. But then again, it was US provocation from the start.
An admission that Russia invaded Afghanistan? I thought the Russians still spouted the nonsense that you were invited in?

That's bullshit. First, it was not stable, otherwise USSR would not have invaded. And second, economically USSR did a lot of good, building schools, hospitals, sending afghans to study to Russia, the usual stuff. Their (really unavoidable) mistake was this religion thing, which piece of shit Raygun used. But then again, it was US provocation from the start.
An admission that Russia invaded Afghanistan? I thought the Russians still spouted the nonsense that you were invited in?

Just like Russia was invited in by the poor Donbas and Luhansk freedom fighters defending themselves against the tyranical Nazi illigitimate legitimate Ukrainian government. Russia is really the heroes here. Such sacrifice. All the time sacrificing themselves to help the oppressed people in need. If it wasn't for Russia the world would be a terrible place.

In other news, water is dry and gravity is a myth

Just like Russia was invited in by the poor Donbas and Luhansk freedom fighters defending themselves against the tyranical Nazi illigitimate legitimate Ukrainian government. Russia is really the heroes here. Such sacrifice. All the time sacrificing themselves to help the oppressed people in need. If it wasn't for Russia the world would be a terrible place.

In other news, water is dry and gravity is a myth

They're Russian Piecekeepers.

Speed of the fall was not astonishing. People knew it would fall, so why even try to save it?
What would be the point? US spent 20 years and there is literally nothing to remember them for.
At the same time people still remember soviets, and they remember them doing good.

I don't think the Afghani's have many fond memories of the Soviets. After 1926 up to the communist uprising and Soviet invasion, Afghanistan was stable, peaceful and prosperous. The Soviets did what the Soviets are famous for, wrecked the economy. Ever since that time Afghanistan has been in an endless war. Why would the Afghanis look favouribly on that time? Are you reading too much Russian propaganda again?
Stable? I was there in 1975--backwards but not a problem other than in terms of food sanitation. Russia funded insurgents, causing the "instability" and then used that as a pretext to invade.

And do you not realize those schools taught Russian propaganda? Sending people to study in Russia was to brainwash them?

Typical. The hardline governments are usually pretty good at stamping out ordinary crime. (Just don't get on the wrong side of those in power. That includes having a daughter that somebody powerful wants.)

Back
Top Bottom