• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why would a reasonable person believe in God?

Alister McGrath, a well know theologian, started a project back in the 70's. Scientific theology. An attempt to put theology on a scientific footing using the tools of science and empiricism. He has written several books on that subject over the years. So far, that project has been a bust. Mostly it is a question of how to do that.

Alister McGrath, a well know theologian, started a project back in the 70's. Scientific theology. An attempt to put theology on a scientific footing using the tools of science and empiricism. He has written several books on that subject over the years. So far, that project has been a bust. Mostly it is a question of how to do that.
It would be a bust, at least I would think so. How would it not be? One asks for evidence and one asks for _________ , what? Maybe the behavior is quantifiable and even the activity of the brain but I don't see how supernaturalism can ever be scientifically treated. It's not definable or detectable.

Bullshit. You've used a Christian filter to interpret all religion to be like Christianity. Christians have been doing it for millenea to convince themselves that everyone really is secretly a Christian. And this has bled into the beliefs of secularist post-Christians.

I have no idea where you got that from. I never said anything about Christianity or even Abrahamic gods. My remarks were about the belief in gods in general, which are obviously grounded in anthropomorphism. It isn't hard to see that gods are modeled on human beings. Polytheistic pantheons tend to have family structures--beings that behave like mothers, fathers, siblings, and relatives. Why else would they even care what human beings think or whether they survive or prosper? It isn't a sophisticated view of reality, but most people aren't sophisticated. The less anthropomorphic gods are (of God, in the case of monotheism), the less useful they are to human beings. If deities aren't swayed by love, loyalty, flattery, and other human emotional ties, then why even bother praying to them? What good are they? It is no accident that gods were invented in our image.

"our brains are evolved in such a way that belief in divine moral authority"

Did you not say that?

Did you read the rest of what I wrote? You can't interpret the meaning of a text snippet without looking at the context you found it in. I said that people instinctively see morality to be based on parental authority. The concept of "divine authority" is simply an extension of that instinct. Do you disagree with my claim? If so, why?

The pagan gods are swayed by correct ritual and the correct sacrifices. Maybe. You can do all the right things and still be screwed over by the whims of the gods. They don't care about us.

Hindu gods care about maintaining order in the universe. Only. They aren't swayed by shit.

Buddha isn't swayed by anything. He's not even paying attention anymore. We're on our own.

Ahura Mazda needs our help to stop chaos. It's almost like it's just a metaphor for life as an atheist.

I'm not going to try to argue you out of these opinions, which I don't really share, but I still don't see how they are relevant to my point about the why humans tend to prefer authority-based moral doctrines. Are you claiming that only Christians associate their religion with a moral code and other religious traditions do not? Even Hindus believe that a god (Brahma) created the universe. Dharma is essentially divinely prescribed law.

Just stop. You see the world's religion 100% through a Christian lens. Also, the dumbest and most shallow religion ever devised. By doing this you are reducing millenea of philosophical thought to childish nonsense. The danger of doing that is that you are inflating your ego, making yourself superior to religious people. Its arrogant.

Take a breath and calm down. You know nothing of what my background is or what I know about other religions. You are jumping to conclusions on the basis of ignorance about my background and knowledge. How many countries have you even visited where Hinduism, Buddhism, or Islam are dominant religions? I've visited quite a few. Can you read the Vedas in their original Sanskrit? I can (albeit with considerable difficulty). So please don't try to lecture me on what I know of these other religions.

Christianity (and Islam) is anti-intelectual. It thinks deep philosophical thought and the questioning of religious dogma as threatening and harmful. No other world religion (including Judaism) is like that. They're all deep and reflective. Christianity is shallow and childish

Edit: just to clarify. The aims of Christianity isn't shallow and childish. Ie to check your ego and to keep us humble. Which is the same goal as Buddhism. I'm talking about theology. Christian theology is retarded. The practice of Christianity is infinitely wiser than the reasons Christian thinkers give us. Because it's a product of memetic evolution. Not the words of a prophet or saints

OK. I can see that you have some very strong opinions that I disagree with but don't want to try to argue you out of. I just wanted to express my opinion about the ubiquity of authority-based moral codes in human societies and why people tend to see atheists as lacking a basis for moral behavior.

Well, yes. That is a wee bit of a problem, isn't it? The proper way to do this is to make a list of propositions made about God (a long list) and then see if these propositions give rise to contradictions, incoherent reductio ad absurdums, and are disproven by not being consistent with the real word.

Part of being scientific is being intellectually honest. No resorting to sophistries, word games, rationalization, ignoring inconvenient facts. These things are the bread and butter of sophisticated theology.

Why would you think your particular belief is above others.

Irrespective:
those who are strong struggle. Those who are not so strong give up and turn to some other means of escape.
Atheism, paganism, even humanism, are samples of escape.

But I do have a question for all who pass by..... given that you would be of average IQ; do you believe in what you see?

Why would you think your particular belief is above others.
Everybody does; It's probably not important why.
Irrespective:
those who are strong struggle. Those who are not so strong give up and turn to some other means of escape.
Atheism, paganism, even humanism, are samples of escape.
As are christianity, islam, judaism, hinduism, shinto, sikhism, zoroastrianism, buddhism...
But I do have a question for all who pass by..... given that you would be of average IQ; do you believe in what you see?
I think people of average IQ (100 by definition) are fucking idiotic. Why would anyone care what such unintelligent people believe?

Well, yes. That is a wee bit of a problem, isn't it? The proper way to do this is to make a list of propositions made about God (a long list) and then see if these propositions give rise to contradictions, incoherent reductio ad absurdums, and are disproven by not being consistent with the real word.

Part of being scientific is being intellectually honest. No resorting to sophistries, word games, rationalization, ignoring inconvenient facts. These things are the bread and butter of sophisticated theology.
I would have to be a scientifically literate person for that to be of any use to me, a scientifically literate person in the modern sense. If I am not, if I am a person driven by feelings only and do not weigh those feelings regarding what is true against a standard, then all bets are off. The "evidence" I assemble to support my truth claims will be just more of the same bias confirming, non-factual rationalizations. And we see that a lot.

So if I don't have a counterweight to my emotions, to what I "feel" is true, I will never know what is true whether it has to do with religion, gods or anything else. In a sense I will simply continue to entertain myself, generate lots of dopamine upstairs, never change set reward pathways in my brain. And obviously some of us, perhaps most of us, are unable to do that to any large degree.

Why do so many believe in the paranormal?

The video doesn't get into the neural basis for paranormal behavior but it's still a good video on the subject, explains why paranormal belief is so popular. She does a good job of explaining why two people viewing the same thing interpret the experience differently, why one person sees a "ghost" and another person simply sees shadows.

Last edited:
Having high intelligence is useless if one does not use that intelligence
correctly.
Which is:
  1. survive
  2. reproduce
  3. repeat
"high intelligence" is in creating optimal sustainable strategies for the process.

Having high intelligence is useless if one does not use that intelligence
correctly.
Which is:
  1. survive
  2. reproduce
  3. repeat
"high intelligence" is in creating optimal sustainable strategies for the process.
Survival is not entirely due to intelligence. Luck, i.e. in right spot at right time, also plays a part.

Survival is not entirely due to intelligence. Luck, i.e. in right spot at right time, also plays a part.
  • True, but "high intelligence" is still a factor when it comes to the potential severity of an unlucky event :)

Bullshit. You've used a Christian filter to interpret all religion to be like Christianity. Christians have been doing it for millenea to convince themselves that everyone really is secretly a Christian. And this has bled into the beliefs of secularist post-Christians.

I have no idea where you got that from. I never said anything about Christianity or even Abrahamic gods. My remarks were about the belief in gods in general, which are obviously grounded in anthropomorphism. It isn't hard to see that gods are modeled on human beings. Polytheistic pantheons tend to have family structures--beings that behave like mothers, fathers, siblings, and relatives. Why else would they even care what human beings think or whether they survive or prosper? It isn't a sophisticated view of reality, but most people aren't sophisticated. The less anthropomorphic gods are (of God, in the case of monotheism), the less useful they are to human beings. If deities aren't swayed by love, loyalty, flattery, and other human emotional ties, then why even bother praying to them? What good are they? It is no accident that gods were invented in our image.

"our brains are evolved in such a way that belief in divine moral authority"

Did you not say that?

Did you read the rest of what I wrote? You can't interpret the meaning of a text snippet without looking at the context you found it in. I said that people instinctively see morality to be based on parental authority. The concept of "divine authority" is simply an extension of that instinct. Do you disagree with my claim? If so, why?

Yes. Because it only fits the Abrahamic religions. No, other religion has that theology.

You're doing the common mistake of extrapolating from the familiar. You're clearly the most familiar with Christianity. So you've taken what you are familiar with and assumed that this is the basic foundation for all religion. But it's not. Christianity is really really weird.

The (North Judean) Jewish concept of Elohim, ie an impersanal all-powerful all knowing and all good abstract diety is pretty unique in world history. That then was coupled with the South Judean Yahweh/Jehova, which was a more traditional paganism style storm god. Pagan storm gods are more embodiements of the forces of nature. If you had a storm god in your life the chances it would end well is not great. You absolutely did NOT want to have a personal relationship with a storm god. They're absolutely homicidal and psychotic. It's the kind of father figure you will try your best to cut out of your life. You want his money. But the less he's involved in your life, probaly, the better.

Storm gods are authorities in the way that they can fuck you up unless you do what they tell you to. But they're not an authority in the sense that they can give you valuable advice.

The pagan gods are swayed by correct ritual and the correct sacrifices. Maybe. You can do all the right things and still be screwed over by the whims of the gods. They don't care about us.

Hindu gods care about maintaining order in the universe. Only. They aren't swayed by shit.

Buddha isn't swayed by anything. He's not even paying attention anymore. We're on our own.

Ahura Mazda needs our help to stop chaos. It's almost like it's just a metaphor for life as an atheist.

I'm not going to try to argue you out of these opinions, which I don't really share, but I still don't see how they are relevant to my point about the why humans tend to prefer authority-based moral doctrines. Are you claiming that only Christians associate their religion with a moral code and other religious traditions do not? Even Hindus believe that a god (Brahma) created the universe. Dharma is essentially divinely prescribed law.

They're relevant because you are wrong. Just flat out wrong.

Yes, moral codes that come from the gods does exist, but it's pretty rare among world religions. Egyptian religion also had moral codes that came from the gods. But their highest value was Ma'at. Creating order and stability was more important than being a good person. They also have the rule about being good. But being good was not as important as doing your duty and maintaining order.

Dharma isn't prescriptive. It's not a set of rules for you to follow. And if you follow them you'll get a reward in the afterlife. That's only Abrahamic religions. The point of Dharma is that following the rules it makes you a better person, for you. Following Dharma is it's own reward. That's actually a very important and critical difference. If you follow Dharma because you want to be rewarded, you've already violated Dharma. Being good only has value if you don't exect a reward, and you're not doing it to be rewarded. Hinduism and Buddhism aren't life games to be played to score big in the afterlife. That's not at all how those religions work. If you think that they are you're just filtering Hinduism (and Buddhism) through the Christianity filter.

Both Buddhism and Christianity says that we should forgive our enemies. But the difference is that Buddhism says, that you should forgive your enemies because nurturing anger towards someone is spiritual poison, as well as a waste of time and energy. It's just the smart thing to do. Christianity says you should forgive your enemies because that's what God tells us to. That's a very big difference. Christianity is a paternal authority telling us to do, Buddhism argues and reasons, and wants to convince us that it's in our best interest to folllow Dharma. We can read Buddhist philosophy as if it is an authority and as if we are children to be educated. If we do that it's becuase we gained a trust in the wisdom of the teachings. Not because we're worried to displease any cosmic authority. Buddhism has no cosmic authority.

The Hindu Brahma is all knowing and all powerful, as well as wise. But Brahma doesn't care. Brahma doesn't care about anything. Or rather, Brahma acts through the universe. So all other gods, and everything, including you are facets of Brahma. You are your own father and child. That's not a paternal father figure guiding us and telling us what to do. It's a hell of a lot more sophisticated theological concept.

Just stop. You see the world's religion 100% through a Christian lens. Also, the dumbest and most shallow religion ever devised. By doing this you are reducing millenea of philosophical thought to childish nonsense. The danger of doing that is that you are inflating your ego, making yourself superior to religious people. Its arrogant.

Take a breath and calm down. You know nothing of what my background is or what I know about other religions. You are jumping to conclusions on the basis of ignorance about my background and knowledge. How many countries have you even visited where Hinduism, Buddhism, or Islam are dominant religions? I've visited quite a few. Can you read the Vedas in their original Sanskrit? I can (albeit with considerable difficulty). So please don't try to lecture me on what I know of these other religions.

I am listening to what you are saying and basing my views of you based of you on that.

Congratulations on trynig to pull the argument from authority card.

Christianity (and Islam) is anti-intelectual. It thinks deep philosophical thought and the questioning of religious dogma as threatening and harmful. No other world religion (including Judaism) is like that. They're all deep and reflective. Christianity is shallow and childish

Edit: just to clarify. The aims of Christianity isn't shallow and childish. Ie to check your ego and to keep us humble. Which is the same goal as Buddhism. I'm talking about theology. Christian theology is retarded. The practice of Christianity is infinitely wiser than the reasons Christian thinkers give us. Because it's a product of memetic evolution. Not the words of a prophet or saints

OK. I can see that you have some very strong opinions that I disagree with but don't want to try to argue you out of. I just wanted to express my opinion about the ubiquity of authority-based moral codes in human societies and why people tend to see atheists as lacking a basis for moral behavior.

And I thank you for sharing your opinion.

I just wanted to express my opinion about the ubiquity of authority-based moral codes in human societies and why people tend to see atheists as lacking a basis for moral behavior.
Per "atheists as lacking a basis for moral behavior". Rather, they may corrupt the next generation in the game of LIFE and END the program!
  • Given: Humans (on a bell curve) have a hardwired: morality engine and a language engine.
I am not sure that anything is "authentic" per se when it comes to religion and morality.  Conway's Game of Life operates from simple instructions. Human moral codes may derive from:
  1. survive
  2. reproduce
  3. repeat
It is possible that we selectively supply "input data" to the next generation's hardwired morality engine via selective "proper" literature and history; dogmatic facts; folktales; mythology; memes; etc..

As far as evolutionary psychology is concerned, all that matters is inferior and superior optimizations for survival and reproduction at different granularity levels viz. species/in-out groups/kinship groups/individual associations which are all susceptible to Nash equilibrium and other factors that alter optimizations in survival and reproduction.

An interesting fact is to note the most popular book gifted by the older "successful" generation to young western boys over time. At one point it was  Captains Courageous

Last edited:
Human moral codes may derive from:
  1. survive
  2. reproduce
  3. repeat
"Reproduce" isn't a human drive.

Humans are driven to fuck, and for millennia, that amounted to much the same thing.

But since the 1960s, we observe that (as is so often the case) evolution operates via proxy - if humans are able to fuck without that resulting in children, then their reproductive rate falls below replacement levels.

Human moral codes derive from

1. survive
  2. fuck
  3. don't let your own children die unnecessarily
  4. repeat

Which is an important difference. Particularly in the arena of ensuring that when you put effort into keeping children alive, that those are your children.

This isn't a problem for women to achieve, but is massively difficult for men to achieve.

Humans are driven to fuck, and for millennia, that amounted to much the same thing.
Good point(y)
...in the arena of ensuring that when you put effort into keeping children alive, that those are your children.

This isn't a problem for women to achieve, but is massively difficult for men to achieve.
LOL, reminds me of the case when a male parent was jailed for failure of child-support after learning the child was not reproduced by his loins. The judge said he could of checked six years prior when the child was ten, but now he is obligated for two more years. Yes the judge was a mother...

Dharma isn't prescriptive. It's not a set of rules for you to follow. And if you follow them you'll get a reward in the afterlife.
Dharma can mean different things depending on the context. In the context of human life (Samsara), dharma refers to a code of conduct, a set of ethical guidelines for people to live their lives, in harmony with the natural order of the universe. The word dharma can also literally mean religion or faith in god(s), and the rituals associated with the worship of such deities.

That's only Abrahamic religions. The point of Dharma is that following the rules it makes you a better person, for you. Following Dharma is it's own reward.
Following the way of dharma in one's life leads to moksha, emancipation from the life-death-rebirth cycle of samsara. Moksha is self-realization, and attainment of knowledge and of the universe we inhabit, which frees us from the bonds of material life. In Buddhism, this concept is taken even further, with rigid rules of conduct, with the explicit goal of seeking enlightenment - attaining the state of the Buddha, and release from the bondage of our material existence.

That's actually a very important and critical difference. If you follow Dharma because you want to be rewarded, you've already violated Dharma. Being good only has value if you don't exect a reward, and you're not doing it to be rewarded. Hinduism and Buddhism aren't life games to be played to score big in the afterlife. That's not at all how those religions work. If you think that they are you're just filtering Hinduism (and Buddhism) through the Christianity filter.
In a way they are exactly that - they promise freedom from our material existence as humans. You cease to respawn in the game of life and merge with the universal consciousness, Brahma. That is the reward.

Human moral codes may derive from:
  1. survive
  2. reproduce
  3. repeat
"Reproduce" isn't a human drive.

But since the 1960s, we observe that (as is so often the case) evolution operates via proxy - if humans are able to fuck without that resulting in children, then their reproductive rate falls below replacement levels.

Human moral codes derive from

1. survive
  2. fuck
  3. don't let your own children die unnecessarily
  4. repeat

Which is an important difference. Particularly in the arena of ensuring that when you put effort into keeping children alive, that those are your children.

Women are very much driven to reproduce, so are many men. What we aren't driven to do is reproduce beyond our material means.

Reproduction rates are falling because of contraception yes, but also because most millennials can barely afford to survive, let alone drop 2k/month on daycare for four years.

Dharma isn't prescriptive. It's not a set of rules for you to follow. And if you follow them you'll get a reward in the afterlife.
Dharma can mean different things depending on the context. In the context of human life (Samsara), dharma refers to a code of conduct, a set of ethical guidelines for people to live their lives, in harmony with the natural order of the universe. The word dharma can also literally mean religion or faith in god(s), and the rituals associated with the worship of such deities.

That's only Abrahamic religions. The point of Dharma is that following the rules it makes you a better person, for you. Following Dharma is it's own reward.
Following the way of dharma in one's life leads to moksha, emancipation from the life-death-rebirth cycle of samsara. Moksha is self-realization, and attainment of knowledge and of the universe we inhabit, which frees us from the bonds of material life. In Buddhism, this concept is taken even further, with rigid rules of conduct, with the explicit goal of seeking enlightenment - attaining the state of the Buddha, and release from the bondage of our material existence.

That's actually a very important and critical difference. If you follow Dharma because you want to be rewarded, you've already violated Dharma. Being good only has value if you don't exect a reward, and you're not doing it to be rewarded. Hinduism and Buddhism aren't life games to be played to score big in the afterlife. That's not at all how those religions work. If you think that they are you're just filtering Hinduism (and Buddhism) through the Christianity filter.
In a way they are exactly that - they promise freedom from our material existence as humans. You cease to respawn in the game of life and merge with the universal consciousness, Brahma. That is the reward.

My original critique stands. I think you are reducing Hinduism to fit into a Christian theological framework. Hinduism is smarter than that

Back
Top Bottom