• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Why you should vote for Trump

The young, naive who will only vote for someone who supports all that they do
In short, completely imaginary young people. Very few people under the age of 50 believes that Washington politicians will ever represent their interests at all, let alone exclusively. Certainly not those of us who survived the Recession. And the only faction in Washington that demands absolute adhrence to a discrete set of doctrines is the Freedom Caucus.

This false equivocation between objrcting to the slaughter in Palestine to "wanting Biden to be perfect" is a handwaving attempt to downplay opposotion to genocide as though it were as trivial an issue as trade policy or abortion rights. It is not.
To be fair, I ( over 50) don’t know anyone who has ever believed that elected officials actually represent my interests, or anyone’s aside from their own, either directly or indirectly.

In short, completely imaginary young people. Very few people under the age of 50 believes that Washington politicians will ever represent their interests at all, let alone exclusively. Certainly not those of us who survived the Recession. And the only faction in Washington that demands absolute adhrence to a discrete set of doctrines is the Freedom Caucus.

This false equivocation between objrcting to the slaughter in Palestine to "wanting Biden to be perfect" is a handwaving attempt to downplay opposotion to genocide as though it were as trivial an issue as trade policy or abortion rights. It is not.
To be fair, I ( over 50) don’t know anyone who has ever believed that elected officials actually represent my interests, or anyone’s aside from their own, either directly or indirectly.
True, but my fairly wealthy bro in law said he voted for Trump "because he put more money in my pocket". So, there are some people who think elected officials represent their best interests, but most of them are probably wealthy. I'm sure you all noticed that the billionaires who once criticized Trump are now supporting him and helped him raise 50 million dollars at his billionaire rally recently.

But, politicians sometimes do things that help the average person. The Dems want to keep SS and Medicare intact, two programs that most older and disabled adults depend on for their survival. And, programs like WIC and SNAP do help a lot of young poor people, so it's not all bad.

Then you've never met a Trumper. They have a list of demands that they worship more faithfully than God, and will sabotage their own party rather than make a single concession on any of it.

hey have a list of demands that they worship more faithfully than God
I think their list is more of grievances than of demands. In most part, they have no idea WTF they want. Their "Party" thrives on problems, not on solutions. Complaints are much easier than ideas.

True, but my fairly wealthy bro in law said he voted for Trump "because he put more money in my pocket". So, there are some people who think elected officials represent their best interests, but most of them are probably wealthy. I'm sure you all noticed that the billionaires who once criticized Trump are now supporting him and helped him raise 50 million dollars at his billionaire rally recently.

But, politicians sometimes do things that help the average person. The Dems want to keep SS and Medicare intact, two programs that most older and disabled adults depend on for their survival. And, programs like WIC and SNAP do help a lot of young poor people, so it's not all bad.
They did but it was in their own interests to do so since that's the type of candidate the voters who voted for them will vote for. I do believe that some politicians go into politics in order to advocate for (insert position/cause) and that they attract (or fail to) sufficient voters to win on those particular positions. Many/most find political life much more complicated and much less straight forward than stumping on the campaign trail. Compromise compromise compromise is the name of the game.

Then you've never met a Trumper. They have a list of demands that they worship more faithfully than God, and will sabotage their own party rather than make a single concession on any of it.
Depends on the Trumper. Some of the Trumpers I know are single issue voters: Theyoppose abortion and will vote for whoever they believe will do the most to eliminate abortion. Some others are merely ignorant and/or believe they are among the unfortunates who have been left behind. They believe that Trump 'gets' them more than anyone else, mostly because he uses the same loaded language that they use or use inside their heads. The N word is silent, of course. But deadly.

Sorry, but I disagree. I think it's insane to object to Biden, when Trump would probably literally help wipe out Gaza.
First of all, that is an assertion based on party loyalty. Not on anything either man has actually done or said.

Second, we have a right as citizens go abstain from a vote. And if you find yourself trying to deny that right, trying to justifying a viewpoint that "you're either for Biden or you're for Trump, there is no muddle ground", you've got no leg to stand on in accusing Arabs of being too politically rigid. They aren't the ones saying "my Party or no party,". Rather, most are feeling party-less and desperate right now, with no one to trust but each other.

Depends on the Trumper. Some of the Trumpers I know are single issue voters: The oppose abortion and will vote for whoever they believe will do the most to eliminate abortion.
Have you forgotten how we lost our last Speaker of the House, and why the current one is cutting deals with the Democrats to kerp his office?

Really, rather this.
Of course, nothing is absolute. But the number of people around here who solidly support Trump, against their own best interests, is crazy. In my experience, it's because some authorities, like their pastor and Tucker Carlson, agree upon how crucial it is to get Trump in power. Couple that with a poor understanding of the political system and the consensus of the community that they care about and listen to, and you've got hard core Trumpistas.
Tom

Depends on the Trumper. Some of the Trumpers I know are single issue voters: The oppose abortion and will vote for whoever they believe will do the most to eliminate abortion.
Have you forgotten how we lost our last Speaker of the House, and why the current one is cutting deals with the Democrats to kerp his office?
I did edit my post after you posted yours but again, please note the word 'some.' Please note that all of this was done not for any ideal higher than their own specific self interest. No matter what crappola they spout. Politicians publicly support/oppose positions that privately they believe or feel the opposite about--and often act according to their own personal beliefs rather than what they actually say out loud before voters.

Besides, I thought you were talking about the portion of the general population who support Trump.

I did edit my post after you posted yours but again, please note the word 'some.' Please note that all of this was done not for any ideal higher than their own specific self interest. No matter what crappola they spout. Politicians publicly support/oppose positions that privately they believe or feel the opposite about--and often act according to their own personal beliefs rather than what they actually say out loud before voters.

Besides, I thought you were talking about the portion of the general population who support Trump.
I was not, I meant his radical core and congressional creatures. A person is not a Trumper just because they usually vote Republican any more than usually voting Democrat makes me a Bidenista.

It isn't trivial, nor is it exactly that simple either. And finally, not voting for Biden doesn't improve Gaza. And the younger voters are completely unaware of the significance of the things the Biden Admin has said regarding Israel's response to the October massacre. There is significant political nuance... also the Biden Admin suggested Bibi be fired.

I was not, I meant his radical core and congressional creatures. A person is not a Trumper just because they usually vote Republican any more than usually voting Democrat makes me a Bidenista.
Ah, when I think of Trumpers, I think of people who support Trump, and who may/may not usually support the GOP. An example would be my late father in law, who was an Eisenhower/Rockefeller (and I know they are different) republican but who absolutely despised Trump. This absolute hatred of Trump was very common in the other seniors who lived in his senior apartment complex.

I 100% stand by my statement that politicians supporting Trump do so publicly but almost all actually despise him and in fact, only vote their support because it benefits them personally to do so.

And finally, not voting for Biden doesn't improve Gaza.
It's simple.
Trump is an ally of the hardest core Zionists, that's why he moved the US embassy to Jerusalem. He's an ally of the Christian Nationalists who hate Muslims. He gets tons of money from the military industrial complex.
The only three choices are
1)Biden
(2 Trump
(3 whoever wins

For American voters.

Anyone who thinks that cutting support for Biden is anything but a death warrant for Palestinians is painfully low information and ideological purists.

The sort that voted for overturning RvW because Clinton was not Sanders. They couldn't support or vote for her because she wasn't good enough. So they voted for Trump, often indirectly but still effectively. Trump took office and RvW is toast.
It's the reality.
Tom

I 100% stand by my statement that politicians supporting Trump do so publicly but almost all actually despise him and in fact, only vote their support because it benefits them personally to do so.
As Trump isn't a politician, this almost has to be true. The only reasons they tolerate him are money (guy milked his supporters dry!) and his grasp on a typically weren't voting part of the base (and the voting part too).

To make matters worse, these people are also railing on about CRT, transgender, and other "dragons" they know don't actually exist. One party is waging war against a strawman nation.

As Trump isn't a politician, this almost has to be true. The only reasons they tolerate him are money (guy milked his supporters dry!) and his grasp on a typically weren't voting part of the base (and the voting part too).

To make matters worse, these people are also railing on about CRT, transgender, and other "dragons" they know don't actually exist. One party is waging war against a strawman nation.
Yes, and they are doing it for $$$. Oh, a few want power as well, beyond the power to accumulate $$$, but mostly, it’s $$$.

And finally, not voting for Biden doesn't improve Gaza.
It's simple.
Trump is an ally of the hardest core Zionists,...
No, simpler, Trump doesn't give a fuck about the Israelis or Gazans. His decision will be based on whatever he thinks is good enough for himself... which will largely be determined by whomever talked to him last.
...that's why he moved the US embassy to Jerusalem.
Naw, that was just virtue signaling.
He's an ally of the Christian Nationalists who hate Muslims. He gets tons of money from the military industrial complex.
The only three choices are
1)Biden
(2 Trump
(3 whoever wins

For American voters.

Anyone who thinks that cutting support for Biden is anything but a death warrant for Palestinians is painfully low information and ideological purists.
I'm reminded of Ralph Nader. Which is also my response to anyone who says they can't vote for Biden because *insert ideological stance*. The Iraq War, Afghanistan occupation, CJ Roberts, Justice Alito, Roe v Wade, Citizens United, maybe even 9/11 itself (read Clarke's book), etc... all in part because people voted for Nader because Gore just wasn't liberal enough.

Sorry, but I disagree. I think it's insane to object to Biden, when Trump would probably literally help wipe out Gaza.
First of all, that is an assertion based on party loyalty. Not on anything either man has actually done or said.

Second, we have a right as citizens go abstain from a vote. And if you find yourself trying to deny that right, trying to justifying a viewpoint that "you're either for Biden or you're for Trump, there is no muddle ground", you've got no leg to stand on in accusing Arabs of being too politically rigid. They aren't the ones saying "my Party or no party,". Rather, most are feeling party-less and desperate right now, with no one to trust but each other.

Australia fines people who don't vote and although the fine isn't usually that large, their voting rate is something like 97 or 98%. Our rate is pitiful by comparison. Anyone who doesn't vote in the US is a fool imo. If you must look at it like voting for the lesser of two evils, fine. I usually just think that one is much better compared to the alternative and in the coming election, that is truer than any time in my life. Plus we vote for a lot more than just the president and I've even known people who only vote in the presidential elections. That is also foolish and/or ignorant.

I've voted for people who I wasn't fond of many times, but the alternative was far worse. I vote in every single election, no matter how minor the issues may be because the vote is the only tiny bit of power we have and we women didn't even get that right until a little over 100 years ago. Some Republicans would love to take away our right to vote and some states are making it harder to vote, so only a foolish person doesn't vote and sadly, I've know plenty of them, although I've also known a few who finally voted in 2020 because they didn't want another Trump term.

So, sure, people in the US aren't required to vote, but they are fools, imo, if they don't. You don't have to belong or cling to a party to vote. Just vote for the person who will do the least amount of harm. Btw, Arabs are a very diverse group, so don't make generalizations about them. My husband's late grandparents were immigrants from Syria and Lebanon and most of his current extended family members, are conservatives, who have traditionally voted for Republicans with few exceptions. I hate what's going on in Gaza, but that's not going to keep me from voting blue all the way down the line. All presidents and politicians make mistakes, but I'd rather have an imperfect president than a psychopathic narcissist who despises the rule of law and wants to be a dictator.

Why aren't the Arabic countries doing more to help the citizens of Gaza? Why aren't they taking in more of them? Why aren't they doing more to provide them with relief measures? It's not Biden who is the problem. Bibi and the surrounding Arabic countries are the problem. Shouting at Biden and calling him Genocidal Joe isn't accomplishing anything, but causing more hate and division in a country that is already too divided.

Australia fines people who don't vote and although the fine isn't usually that large, their voting rate is something like 97 or 98%. Our rate is pitiful by comparison. Anyone who doesn't vote in the US is a fool imo. If you must look at it like voting for the lesser of two evils, fine. I usually just think that one is much better compared to the alternative and in the coming election, that is truer than any time in my life. Plus we vote for a lot more than just the president and I've even known people who only vote in the presidential elections. That is also foolish and/or ignorant.
Why would refusing to cast a vote for Biden specifically necessitate not voting at all?

Back
Top Bottom