• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Will the Hillary Email Scandal Blow Over?

I think the electorate has moved on. Most people don't care. Everybody else has already made up their minds that either she did nothing wrong or or she is the Whore of Babylon.

IOW

Nothing to see here. Move along.

It may blow over but it's not nothing. She specifically registered the domain clintonemail.com and set up a server in her home that she used exclusively for state business. Unless she wasn't doing her job she had to have sent classified info over her private network. Anyone else with a security clearance would be in prison. Beyond the classified stuff, state officials are supposed to use state email so it will eventually become part of the national archives.

Source please. The voters I know have no opinion or believe it is just politics.

Which is the main point of this. The GOP has been crying wolf non-stop over so many "scandals" for Clinton over the past couple of decades that nobody's really caring too much, even if it ends up that this is an actually legitimate one.

At worst, some "overzealous staffer" is going to fall on their sword and do a few years in jail in exchange for a six-figure salary in a lobbying company once he gets out.

It's weird how this story no one cares about keeps getting so much press.

Which is the main point of this. The GOP has been crying wolf non-stop over so many "scandals" for Clinton over the past couple of decades that nobody's really caring too much, even if it ends up that this is an actually legitimate one.

At worst, some "overzealous staffer" is going to fall on their sword and do a few years in jail in exchange for a six-figure salary in a lobbying company once he gets out.

So did Benghazi and Travelgate and all the rest. It's sound and fury signifying nothing.

Donald Trump gets a lot of press. That doesn't make Donald Trump a relevant story in the 2016 election.

Everybody else has already made up their minds that either she did nothing wrong or or she is the Whore of Babylon.

There IS one thing that could change that...well, part of it, anyway.

If some relatively objective folks like the Inspector General's office finds that she did enough wrong for criminal charges to be brought against her - meaning her guilt would be decided in a court and not in Congress - then maybe the former could be convinced she did something wrong.

If she's exonerated by the IG's office and no charges are filed, the latter will continue believing - as they have since 1992 or so - that she's the Whore of Babylon...or worse, Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Throughout this thread there has been a curious presumption that if she is not charged with criminal conduct, then she has 'done nothing wrong'. "Right and wrong" are moral judgements, not legal ones and one can have the morals and conduct of "the Whore of Babylon" without having been charged under a provision of the criminal code.

It is beyond dispute that the Clintons, especially Hillary, have been embroiled in decades of dubious, unethical, sleazy, and immoral behavior - so much so it has become emblematic of their personal politics. No other Democratic (or Republican) White House family has come close. So much so, when the Hillary controversies broke the general reaction of many (including the formerly fawning press) was an exasperated groan "Why is it always the Clintons?".

Need we be reminded of the never-ending history of her (and Bill's) behavior ? (Methinks we do):

1. Travelgate - Hillary fired the long-time seven employees of WH travel staff, and hired an Arkansas firm with connections to her and Bill. The first lady then made false statements to investigators.

2. Medical Reform - The first lady form's a secret task force to redesign national medical care, refusing to release deliberations to Congress or the public.

3.Whitewater - HC represented the criminal and corrupt Madison Guaranty and Trust, found guilty of false and illegal accounting under her close friend McDougal. She was even funded by Guaranty for representing the firm in a fraudulent project, and her denials of knowledge and asscociation were later shown to be lies when payroll records were discovered.

4.Filegate - Hundreds of background FBI files on political opposition were improperly given to Craig Livingston.,her director of WH security and an HC favorite. He took the fall, and resigned.

5. The removal and disappearance of files from Vince Fosters WH office, prior to investigators arrival.

6. Her lost billing records, for two years, in defiance of Justice Department subpoenas. The records mysteriously turned up on WH dining table. The records showed she lied and she did meet key figures in the Whitewater scandal.

7. The selling of seats on Commerce Department international trade missions to corporate figures in return for big contributions to President Clinton's 1996 re-election campaign. Commerce Secretary Ron Brown, who was reported to have opposed the scheme, died when his plane crashed in Croatia, leading independent counsel Daniel Pearson to leave his investigation unfinished.

8. Renting Lincoln Bedroom - More than 800 people stayed overnight in the Lincoln bedroom of the White House during President Bill Clinton's tenure. At least $5.4 million in campaign contributions from many of those guests went into Clinton's re-election effort.

9. So many illegal Chinese and foreign contributions orchestrated on behalf of the Clintons ( see: John Huang, Charlie Trie, Johnny Chung as prime managers).

10. How about Lewinsky blowjobs, "I can't remember" 250 times by HC under oath, pardongate of terrorists and Rich, or the Bosnia sniper fairy tale?

Now its the Clinton Foundation and the email scandal.

Is it any wonder many are fed up with Clinton sleaze and, in particular, Hillary? The bottom line is that even the left is ready to move on, to reject the Hillary spin, dissembling, and excuses. They no longer drool when she rings the bell over " the wide-spread right wing conspiracy" and "war on women".

Sanders, Warren, or Gore (or one of the currently running) will likely win the nomination. As long as the DOJ shows some spine, and is more willing (than under Holder) to hold fellow Democrats accountable then she is toast.

So did Benghazi and Travelgate and all the rest. It's sound and fury signifying nothing.

Donald Trump gets a lot of press. That doesn't make Donald Trump a relevant story in the 2016 election.

To claim Donald Trump is not a story in this election is fantastically bizarre.

I can agree with you that Hillary apologists and Hillary are frantically pushing the claim it's nothing, but I see many of the major newspapers at least giving her some crap over it.

Some examples:

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/editorials/la-ed-clinton-email-20150813-story.html
http://www.nationaljournal.com/2016...on-deflection-deception-and-untruths-20150813
http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2015/08/13/hillary-email-claims-facts-column/31654799/
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/25/u...inspector-general-intelligence-community.html

Well then, your next President is going to be a criminal, because this isn't actually going to affect her getting into the White House.

Well then, your next President is going to be a criminal, because this isn't actually going to affect her getting into the White House.

It has certainly been affecting her poll numbers. Something else has, if not this.

If she wins the nomination, she will beat Trump (the most likely Republican nominee). However, she she is poised for a campaign collapse. Does anyone think she can beat Biden, Warren, or Gore should they run? And Bernie is now in the lead for NH.

Frankly, this Hillary fawning by non-US folks is pretty tone-deaf to current trends. Of course, a Clinton-Trump race would be a disaster (regardless of who wins) and a farce.

I have long held that there is only ONE race that would be an honest choice between ideologies: Warren and Cruz (although Bernie, Rand P. and perhaps Carley are legit ideological alternatives).

The rest of the Demo's and Republicans are weasels and establishment clones.

She's really not poised for a campaign collapse. She's poised for whatever you call the opposite of a campaign collapse where she just keeps going strong until she's President.

It's a long way until the nomination is sewn up. Two observations: 1) never under-estimate the capacity of a candidate to screw up, and 2) if the past is any guide, there is sure to be more appearance of Clintonian sleaze to ooze up to the surface.

If she wins the nomination, she will beat Trump (the most likely Republican nominee).
Trump will not be the nominee. If he is, she will beat him.

However, she she is poised for a campaign collapse.
Currently she is not poised for any collapse, she has money and a shit-ton of endorsements behind her.

Does anyone think she can beat Biden, Warren, or Gore should they run?
I think everyone believes she can beat them. She remains popular with Deomcrats and has built a large base of support.

And Bernie is now in the lead for NH.
Yes he is.

It is beyond dispute that the Clintons, especially Hillary, have been embroiled in decades of dubious, unethical, sleazy, and immoral behavior - so much so it has become emblematic of their personal politics.

Actually no. The witchhunt of the special prosecutor Ken Starr found nothing but a blowjob. But to go back to the Whore of Babylon, this is how the opposition likes to paint her.

No other Democratic (or Republican) White House family has come close.
Oh really, *raises eyebrow" continue on....

1. Travelgate - Hillary fired the long-time seven employees of WH travel staff, and hired an Arkansas firm with connections to her and Bill. The first lady then made false statements to investigators.
Yawn. What about Bush and his cronyism?

2. Medical Reform - The first lady form's a secret task force to redesign national medical care, refusing to release deliberations to Congress or the public.
You mean her secret, public task force that the Republicans shut down in 1994, something that happened over 20 years ago and nobody cares about because we have Obamacare?

3.Whitewater - HC represented the criminal and corrupt Madison Guaranty and Trust, found guilty of false and illegal accounting under her close friend McDougal. She was even funded by Guaranty for representing the firm in a fraudulent project, and her denials of knowledge and asscociation were later shown to be lies when payroll records were discovered.
And Ken Starr didn't keep demanding anal probes and found nothing, and more nothing. and more nothing until a blue dress appeared.

4.Filegate - Hundreds of background FBI files on political opposition were improperly given to Craig Livingston.,her director of WH security and an HC favorite. He took the fall, and resigned.
Never heard of it.

5. The removal and disappearance of files from Vince Fosters WH office, prior to investigators arrival.
Another case where Ken Starr attempted an anal probe and found nothing.

6. Her lost billing records, for two years, in defiance of Justice Department subpoenas. The records mysteriously turned up on WH dining table. The records showed she lied and she did meet key figures in the Whitewater scandal.
And this is different than Whitewhater. You are slipping Max.

7. The selling of seats on Commerce Department international trade missions to corporate figures in return for big contributions to President Clinton's 1996 re-election campaign. Commerce Secretary Ron Brown, who was reported to have opposed the scheme, died when his plane crashed in Croatia, leading independent counsel Daniel Pearson to leave his investigation unfinished.
Geesh, I am glad President Bush never traded favors for political appointments... oh wait he did. and correct me if I am wrong, but Hillary was not in public office in 1996.

8. Renting Lincoln Bedroom - More than 800 people stayed overnight in the Lincoln bedroom of the White House during President Bill Clinton's tenure. At least $5.4 million in campaign contributions from many of those guests went into Clinton's re-election effort.
Yawn. How many Republican donors over the years have stayed in the Lincoln Bedroom. This is a non-scandal.

9. So many illegal Chinese and foreign contributions orchestrated on behalf of the Clintons ( see: John Huang, Charlie Trie, Johnny Chung as prime managers).
Yawn.

10. How about Lewinsky blowjobs, "I can't remember" 250 times by HC under oath, pardongate of terrorists and Rich, or the Bosnia sniper fairy tale?
So Hillary was finger-banged by Lewinsky now?

If she wins the nomination, she will beat Trump (the most likely Republican nominee). However, she she is poised for a campaign collapse. Does anyone think she can beat Biden, Warren, or Gore should they run? And Bernie is now in the lead for NH.

Frankly, this Hillary fawning by non-US folks is pretty tone-deaf to current trends. Of course, a Clinton-Trump race would be a disaster (regardless of who wins) and a farce.

I have long held that there is only ONE race that would be an honest choice between ideologies: Warren and Cruz (although Bernie, Rand P. and perhaps Carley are legit ideological alternatives).

The rest of the Demo's and Republicans are weasels and establishment clones.

Yeah. There's no time for any reaction or correction with the election just 15 months away.

She remains popular with Deomcrats and has built a large base of support.

I have never seen much evidence of this. All the Bern-mentum is pretty strong evidence that many are desperate for someone, anyone else.

And they sure cast he aside quickly in 2008.

She remains popular with Deomcrats and has built a large base of support.

I have never seen much evidence of this. All the Bern-mentum is pretty strong evidence that many are desperate for someone, anyone else.

We are still a long way away and she does have a formidable machine.

Actually, her husband's the one with the formidable machine, but I don't think she lets him use it anymore because it's caused too much trouble in the past.

Didn't she have a formidable machine in 2008?

Not really. Obama was the one with the ground game and the one who didn't make stupid mistakes. Clinton has inherited all the stuff he put together to beat her.

Back in 2008, she just kind of assumed that she was going to walk into the White House and that allowed Obama to surprise her and beat her. She's very aware of that and not letting it happen again.

Didn't she have a formidable machine in 2008?

Not really. Obama was the one with the ground game and the one who didn't make stupid mistakes. Clinton has inherited all the stuff he put together to beat her.

Back in 2008, she just kind of assumed that she was going to walk into the White House and that allowed Obama to surprise her and beat her. She's very aware of that and not letting it happen again.

Bernie has more ground game far as I can tell.

But I don't want to rudely question your belief system.

Bernie has more ground game far as I can tell.

But I don't want to rudely question your belief system.

Currently he actually doesn't. I have not signed up for any politicians emails, but I get them routinely from Hillary's campaign.

Now if you excuse me, I am off to the Iowa State Fair. I'll say "hi" to Rick Perry for you if I see him.

Back
Top Bottom