• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Will Trump Drop Out?

I think this is Republican wishful thinking.
It comes down to whether Trump can stomach getting crushed in the General Election. Three polls released today show Republican support for Trump dropping substantially, below 70%! On poll indicates about 3 in 5 for Trump and 1 in 8 for Clinton. We've been waiting for this train wreck to derail since January 2016. Things may finally be derailing. If his national support drops below 30%, it is hard to think Trump is going to just settle in for the ass kicking of his life.

But we'd need to wait for the bottom to drop on his polling. I think then, and only then, would he quit.

Oh holy Odin I hope not.
The effect of him dropping out is completely unknown. The spectrum goes from Kasich gets nomination and wins to hapless Republican still obliterated in General Election, lose house and senate (14 armed angry white guys parade somewhere).

Clinton has a good chance of beating Trump. Any other Republican, no matter how unsavory to us, will be more appealing to more conservatives. And any other Republican, while technically being the better option than Trump, is still a fucking theocratic warmongering idiot.

If Trump drops out, we need to start a vigorous #writehimin campaign targeting his diehard supporters.

If Trump drops out, we need to start a vigorous #writehimin campaign targeting his diehard supporters.

I don't think so. They'd be more likely to vote for GOP Congressmen. It'd be better to start a #stayhomeinahuff campaign for them.

To me, in the long view, the sad thing about a Trump loss is that the Republicans in the Senate and Congress will get to continue to act toward Hillary like they did to Obama, obstructionist and uncooperative. Oh, how I would love to watch them try to keep their party together and corral Trump for four years.

To me, in the long view, the sad thing about a Trump loss is that the Republicans in the Senate and Congress will get to continue to act toward Hillary like they did to Obama, obstructionist and uncooperative. Oh, how I would love to watch them try to keep their party together and corral Trump for four years.

Corraling trump is easy. He doesn't want to use the power of the presidency. He only wants the prestige. He would likely do anything the party leaders told him to do. Of course he would continue to speak and behave like an idiot every time he managed to find a live microphone. ... But most of his off the cuff material is harmless bigotry and ego stroking.

now I am wondering if that might indeed be the case.

What, you think Bill Clinton might've orchestrated this? :laugh:

Come on, sure it's crazy, but we have no reason to resort to conspiracy theories here. It's easily explainable through other means.

@zorq

Not so sure about that. He disagrees with them on a lot of things. They might just impeach him.

now I am wondering if that might indeed be the case.

Come on, sure it's crazy, but we have no reason to resort to conspiracy theories here. It's easily explainable through other means.

I've always maintained that either Trump is the devil incarnate, the Antichrist, the embodiment of all that is wrong with America ... or else he's working for the Clintons.

I've always maintained that either Trump is the devil incarnate, the Antichrist, the embodiment of all that is wrong with America ... or else he's working for the Clintons.
Maybe. But he's certainly a narcissist.

Why We Should Pity Attention Seeking Narcissists

Consider first the consistent discovery that beneath their hubris and egomania, many narcissists actually suffer from chronic low self-esteem.

At the same time as recognising their fragility, it’s worth remembering that narcissistic people do have some redeeming qualities; in some contexts they can be unusually persistent in the face of set-backs, no doubt to prove their worth to themselves and others, and there’s evidence that creative teams can benefit from having a narcissist or two to help inspire a little healthy internal competition. There’s even some evidence that with a little encouragement – asking them to take other people’s perspective – narcissists can be nudged into showing greater empathy.

Taking all these findings together there’s good reason to try, if you can, to be a little more patient – more loving even – with the narcissists in your life.

Republican nominee Donald Trump has a 1 in 3 chance of becoming the next U.S. president, according to London-based bookmakers William Hill.

The bookmakers also said there's almost a 1 in 10 chance of Trump will withdraw from the race.

Trump's latest odds of winning stood at 21 to 10, or a 33 percent chance, according to William Hill, whose name adorns the sports book at Monmouth Park in Oceanport.
http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2016/08/what_are_the_odds_of_trump_winning_the_white_house.html

Predictit.org has teh Donald at 28%. Also has the White House going Republican at 27% - guess the thought is that if Donald does a runner, whoever they put up in his place has no chance.

Agreed. I don't think he expected to win at the start, and I do suspect that Clinton may have encouraged him to run to take down the republicans, but now he's in it and his ego won't let him quit.

It is inane to me that people are including the Clintons in this conspiracy. Trump is where he is because what he is saying is appealing to the right wing of the country. The Democrats have nothing to do with his levels of support. The GOP created the monster through years and years of hard work and effort to do just that and now they're acting all surprised that it's gotten out of its cage and is rampaging around the village.

The Clintons are included in this conspiracy because he was friends with them in the past and because Hillary stands to benefit from him running. Had anybody else run there could have been a real contest here. They needed a joke on the other side, and Trump stepped up to the plate.

I think this is Republican wishful thinking.
It comes down to whether Trump can stomach getting crushed in the General Election. Three polls released today show Republican support for Trump dropping substantially, below 70%! On poll indicates about 3 in 5 for Trump and 1 in 8 for Clinton. We've been waiting for this train wreck to derail since January 2016. Things may finally be derailing. If his national support drops below 30%, it is hard to think Trump is going to just settle in for the ass kicking of his life.

But we'd need to wait for the bottom to drop on his polling. I think then, and only then, would he quit.

If he quits it will be right at the last moment. Maybe the very day before election day. Then the Republicans will scramble in a hilarious way :)

If he quits it will be right at the last moment. Maybe the very day before election day. Then the Republicans will scramble in a hilarious way :)

I looked up narcissism and it fits Trump to a tee. From what it says here:

These individuals may be unwilling to compete or may refuse to take any risks in order to avoid appearing like a failure. In addition, their inability to tolerate setbacks, disagreements or criticism, along with lack of empathy, make it difficult for such individuals to work cooperatively with others or to maintain long-term professional relationships with superiors and colleagues.

it seems like he'll drop out before the debates.

Back
Top Bottom