• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Woke is white arrogance

Why do we need warnings?

I remember when Boston had a severe movie rating committee. They banned a couple of good films. After that, even movies that hadn't come to the attention of Bostonian prudes put "Banned in Boston" on their posters, because it was good for ticket sales.

Similarly, putting "Parental Advisory" warnings on music CDs helped boost sales.
Warning labels, like many other things, don't always have the effects intended.
Tom

"Has content your parents don't want you to see because prudery and conflicting generational understandings of propriety" is completely different from "has problematic and insulting viewpoints expressed".

It's not completely different by any stretch. It's still self righteous prudes sticking their opinions on media.

At any rate, it removes the plausible deniability as to the nature of the content and the excuse for those using it and referencing it to say they didn't know.

"Plausible deniability"? "using" a book?
I have a slightly higher opinion of humans in general. It's still pretty bleak. But people like you who want to put warnings on "To Kill a Mockingbird" and keep it out of reach of children don't give me much hope for the future.
Tom

Reactions: WAB
I've followed this ridiculous thread for awhile without saying anything. But, when I saw Zoid say, "If you have a problem with the American anthem, this planet is not for you", I was a bit stunned. Hyperbole much! I guess the planet isn't for me because I have refused to stand for that horrible war mongering pos since I was 17. A lot of us refused to stand for it as a mild protest during the Viet Nam War. To me, that song reminds me too much of America's tendency to start wars that are unnecessary. The song glorifies war and symbols like the flag.

I was disgusted at the way so many people reacted when Kaep and then later, other football players took a knee as a gentle protest. WTF does a so called anthem have to do with a violent sport? Oh wait. I get it now. Football is a macho warrior sport. Yeah. That must be it. :p ;)

But, we are supposed to have freedom of speech in this country. So, if you like the damn song, sing along. I don't condemn you for that. If you feel like I do, protest it, or sit quietly like I do. We are supposed to have the right to do either. I don't salute the flag either. I like the line in a song that I've heard Ray Charles sing. "The flag is just a rag as long as one of us' not free". Anthems, flags etc. are symbols that I dislike. They remind me too much of being forced to support things that you don't. I do love my country. I just want it to be better. So, I see it like a favorite line from an old jazz song. "Even when I hate you, it's only because I love you".

It has nothing to do with the "woke" movement. Woke is just an old term, initially part of Black urban slang that was supposed to refer to a person who had suddenly awakened to the fact that systemic racism remains a problem in the US. It's been appropriated to mean other things, and now it's over used. My friends and I have been awake for a long time. ;) We don't need to brag about it. And, sure. Sometimes people on the left can be as crazy and obnoxious as people on the right. Anything can be taken to extremes. That's what humans sometimes do. We are after all, great apes.

If Gen Z wants to start a woke movement, I'll just say, OK Zoomers.;)

I like directors like D'Urville Martin, Reginald Hudlin, Jeymes Samuel but that's just me.

I have enjoyed films by many of them on the list I posted and had no idea they were black, nor did I care.

Likewise, however here are some black film directors who aren't even listed on the Wiki Page of black directors. lol

Billy Woodberry
Charles Lane
Isaac Julien
Maïmouna Doucouré
Rick Famuyiwa
Souleymane Cisse
Wanuri Kahiu

Jimmy Higgins said:
Canada's isn't worse.
I think it's way better than ours.
Tom
"God keep our land glorious and free! O Canada, we stand on guard for thee."​

I can't really get behind governments teaching kids to say prayers. And the English version wasn't a translation of the original -- it was all new lyrics. Have you heard the French version?

"O Canada!
Land of our ancestors
Glorious deeds circle your brow
For your arm knows how to wield the sword
Your arm knows how to carry the cross;
Your history is an epic
Of brilliant deeds
And your valour steeped in faith
Will protect our homes and our rights."​

Yeah, it's not an inquisition. And yah, it's absolutely indefensible.

Granted I would see a lot of those books relegated to storage, or the high shelves ... Or some other place of shame amongst the stacks. ... It just pays to well classify it as such, too.
Yeah, the Index of Forbidden Books was never intended to prohibit Jesuits from reading them.

It's not completely different by any stretch. It's still self righteous prudes sticking their opinions on media.

At any rate, it removes the plausible deniability as to the nature of the content and the excuse for those using it and referencing it to say they didn't know.

"Plausible deniability"? "using" a book?
I have a slightly higher opinion of humans in general. It's still pretty bleak. But people like you who want to put warnings on "To Kill a Mockingbird" and keep it out of reach of children don't give me much hope for the future.
Tom

On is not in. These are very different words despite being so close of an utterance.

Everything else is just bullshit that flows from that spring of conflation.

This style of mocking and holier-than-thou antipathy towards the idea of being “woke” to the needs, concerns and pain of others is interesting to behold. It is a repeated poke-poke-poke to agitate and keep agitated to make sure that those who care about justice and the well being of others know that they are mocked and disdained by a few dominance-fetishers who think care is a weakness. It’s the equivalent of the schoolyard bully who constantly bumps and pushes those they deem “weaker” and calls them “fag” or “pussy.”

It manifests here on TFT as this constant barrage of posts by a very small number of posters repeating the same shallow insults over and over. “Wokester.” “Virtue Signaling.” It used to include “PC” as an insult. See how I disdain your care for others. See how weak I think you are. See how I can knock your schoolbooks out of your hand onto the hallway floor and you won’t do it back to me? That means I’m powerful. That means I’m alpha. In my head, anyway.

When a discussion in one of these threads directs towards why compassion is valuable, and why being aware and supportive of the lived experiences of others is not something people are ashamed of, the schoolyard-style bullies keep name-calling for a while, then drop it, and go start another thread with their current mocking words; they run to another student and knock over their books and stand around with their chest out thinking everyone admires their “strength” and dominance.

So - yeah yeah yeah. Wokester. Virtue Signalling. PC run amok.

I am **GLAD** to be awake to the realities of others. I was insulated for so long not realizing what my world was like for others.
I am **GLAD** to signal to others what virtues I find important; among them care, concern, justice
I am **GLAD** to know what language hurts, and avoid it in favor of lannguage that doesn’t hurt. Hooray for Politically Correct norms.

And I’ll keep thinking this next week, when I watch the bullies again posture and preen with their displays of mocking and disdain, their acts of dominance-seeking where they try to knock others down so they can feel strong and worthwhile. And I’ll keep thinking, “how sad is that. They have to work so hard to feel worthwhile. They never feel content and loved. Gotta shove people to the ground so they can feel tall. No one taught them how to build to feel big, they only learned how to destroy others. And they don’t even realize that no one looks at that display and thinks they are powerful. Or - maybe they do know that, but they only know one way to feel powerful and they just have to keep using it, even while they know it doesn’t work.”

I know this and other posts will continue to sprout up. Mock the caring, disdain cooperative aspirations. Try to sell dominance as the only virtue. Beat the chest. Howl the monkey howls.

The dogs bark, but the caravan goes on.

I am sure your heart is in the right place but it is not the people ridiculing wokeism that are the bullies. It is the virtue signaling, cancel culture, de-platforming wokesters that are the bullies. It is virtue signaling wokesters that have "flame purification" ceremonies, i.e. burning books deemed "problematic". It is wokesters that kick up a fuss about Dr Seuss books and bully publishers and distributors. It is the wokesters that are knocking books out people's hands "you can't read that, it's "problematic". It's the wokesters tearing down statues etc.

This style of mocking and holier-than-thou antipathy towards the idea of being “woke” to the needs, concerns and pain of others is interesting to behold. It is a repeated poke-poke-poke to agitate and keep agitated to make sure that those who care about justice and the well being of others know that they are mocked and disdained by a few dominance-fetishers who think care is a weakness. It’s the equivalent of the schoolyard bully who constantly bumps and pushes those they deem “weaker” and calls them “fag” or “pussy.”

It manifests here on TFT as this constant barrage of posts by a very small number of posters repeating the same shallow insults over and over. “Wokester.” “Virtue Signaling.” It used to include “PC” as an insult. See how I disdain your care for others. See how weak I think you are. See how I can knock your schoolbooks out of your hand onto the hallway floor and you won’t do it back to me? That means I’m powerful. That means I’m alpha. In my head, anyway.

When a discussion in one of these threads directs towards why compassion is valuable, and why being aware and supportive of the lived experiences of others is not something people are ashamed of, the schoolyard-style bullies keep name-calling for a while, then drop it, and go start another thread with their current mocking words; they run to another student and knock over their books and stand around with their chest out thinking everyone admires their “strength” and dominance.

I am **GLAD** to be awake to the realities of others. I was insulated for so long not realizing what my world was like for others.
I am **GLAD** to signal to others what virtues I find important; among them care, concern, justice
I am **GLAD** to know what language hurts, and avoid it in favor of lannguage that doesn’t hurt. Hooray for Politically Correct norms.

And I’ll keep thinking this next week, when I watch the bullies again posture and preen with their displays of mocking and disdain, their acts of dominance-seeking where they try to knock others down so they can feel strong and worthwhile. And I’ll keep thinking, “how sad is that. They have to work so hard to feel worthwhile. They never feel content and loved. Gotta shove people to the ground so they can feel tall. No one taught them how to build to feel big, they only learned how to destroy others. And they don’t even realize that no one looks at that display and thinks they are powerful. Or - maybe they do know that, but they only know one way to feel powerful and they just have to keep using it, even while they know it doesn’t work.”

I know this and other posts will continue to sprout up. Mock the caring, disdain cooperative aspirations. Try to sell dominance as the only virtue. Beat the chest. Howl the monkey howls.

I am sure your heart is in the right place but it is not the people ridiculing wokeism that are the bullies. It is the virtue signaling, cancel culture, de-platforming wokesters that are the bullies. It is virtue signaling wokesters that have "flame purification" ceremonies, i.e. burning books deemed "problematic". It is wokesters that kick up a fuss about Dr Seuss books and bully publishers and distributors. It is the wokesters that are knocking books out people's hands "you can't read that, it's "problematic". It's the wokesters tearing down statues etc.

The Woke are the church ladies of yesteryear.

Wow. Life does exist outside Television and the internet ya know. Christians and Atheists for example mingle with each other offline and off-air on a daily basis without any of this hyperbole you just mentioned. You need to go outside bruh.

Seriously?
I'm a gay non-theist from a conservative Catholic family, living in southern Indiana(practically Mike Pence's hometown).
I am very much aware of all this. But not everyone is.
Tom

I can't tell if you're trying to rebuke or make a pass at me.

Well, that was silly.

Last edited:

Great post.

Why do we need warnings?

I remember when Boston had a severe movie rating committee. They banned a couple of good films. After that, even movies that hadn't come to the attention of Bostonian prudes put "Banned in Boston" on their posters, because it was good for ticket sales.

Similarly, putting "Parental Advisory" warnings on music CDs helped boost sales.
Tom

"Has content your parents don't want you to see because prudery and conflicting generational understandings of propriety" is completely different from "has problematic and insulting viewpoints expressed".

No, it seems pretty much the exact same thing to me. What is the relevant difference in your mind?

Why do we need warnings?

Tom

No, it seems pretty much the exact same thing to me. What is the relevant difference in your mind?

One says "you're not allowed because 'reasons'" that were never actually good nor valid in the first place. Curse words. Words that mean poop and pee and "having sex" oh no! Honestly, "damn it" is pretty fucking bad, now that I think about it. Well, we have religion to thank for that disgusting idea...

Anyway, the relevant difference is that in a library, anyone is still allowed to pick it up, open it, read the words. They don't even have to look at the advisory, though ge really it's likely to happen to be seen.

The difference is that I couldn't go to the store to buy a CD with a parental advisory at one point. The clerk would walk up to my parents, say "be advised", and then they would say "no".

There are probably pieces of media at the library like that, too, mind... The difference is that I would as soon see the advice be leveled exclusively at the seeker, not at some gatekeeping third party. That's the difference

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being compassionate to others. And even though you don't agree with DrZoidberg perhaps you might go halfway and at least allow for artists like Tarantino the freedom to produce content they think others might pay to consume. You don't have to go to their movies or agree with their content but just allow them their freedom of expression and first amendment rights as you would expect them to respect yours.

And above all else, don't claim to be something you really aren't. If you are woke and want to conduct your life privately as woke... that's perfect. Just don't be a big fake "woker" and pretend to be woke just for your own personal and selfish gain. Even Jesus himself knew better when he said it was better to only put a penny in the offering plate in secret than to put a $100 dollar bill in the plate and make a big public horse show over it.

Anyway I think that is what DrZoid is saying.

Sure, but I don't think woke necessarily is a conscious choice. I think the woke most often think they are good people. I think they think them making statements on social media is, a force for good. Who doesn't want to think of themselves as good people? Their virtue signalling is ego massage.

I think Wokes are less cynical than you make it sound like I am.

Its more like, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. I mean, the people of Salem didn't feel like they were murdering innocent and defensless women. They thought they were conquering evil. Ideology can be powerful and seductive in unhelpful ways.

Bearing in mind that the people you call “wokes” do not call themsleves “wokes” and thus demonstrates that your use of the worrd as a means to disdain their efforts at whatever they want to do is just a manifestation of attempted agressive dominance.

The word started as a term to identify caring people by those receiving the caring (it actually started before that as something else, but that is a digresssion). And here you are saying that the term is now an insult - doing your level best to damage a caring relationship between groups by mocking, disdaining and insulting the relationship itself.

Which makes you the asshole who kicks over the sandcastle. The one who will destroy the structures of others so you can feel tall yourself standing in the rubble.

When you call someone “woke,” you do it to someone who never called themselves that, and you do it with a sneer and a smug insult. It’s simply destructive, not constructive. You seek to tear down relationships. And call yourself enlightned for doing it.

It’s just a schoolyard bully, though, shoving over kids in the hallway to make himself feel powerful.

Bearing in mind that the people you call “wokes” do not call themsleves “wokes” and thus demonstrates that your use of the worrd as a means to disdain their efforts at whatever they want to do is just a manifestation of attempted agressive dominance.

The word started as a term to identify caring people by those receiving the caring (it actually started before that as something else, but that is a digresssion). And here you are saying that the term is now an insult - doing your level best to damage a caring relationship between groups by mocking, disdaining and insulting the relationship itself.

Which makes you the asshole who kicks over the sandcastle. The one who will destroy the structures of others so you can feel tall yourself standing in the rubble.

When you call someone “woke,” you do it to someone who never called themselves that, and you do it with a sneer and a smug insult. It’s simply destructive, not constructive. You seek to tear down relationships. And call yourself enlightned for doing it.

It’s just a schoolyard bully, though, shoving over kids in the hallway to make himself feel powerful.

Bolding mine. Anyway, I'm done replying to this thread now, since its title is an insult to the truth.

I think you are partly correct. However;

Sure, but I don't think woke necessarily is a conscious choice. I think the woke most often think they are good people.

I think there is a difference between people who are “woke”, the unhinged type that see being white or not particularly supportive of BLM automatically makes them racist and most people who have their heart in the right place and thumbs/like some twaddle on Facebook or post a pithy quote or meme.

The “woke” (and CRT and BLM proponents) are professional agitators and it takes a conscious choice to be part of that.

Back
Top Bottom