• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Women and girls are harassed relentlessly from a young age, government report says - REBOOT

So do you think men should get fired over everything that a woman finds offensive?

Not everything, no. It would actually have to be harasment and not just arbitrarily whatever she decides to find offensive. Nor should it be exclusive or specific to sexual harrassment or women.

Or be sued by her?

She can sue for whatever she wants. She should only win if she was born harassed and suffered damages. A reasonable person test can be used.

Mr. Jolly

Do you defend women when inappropriate comments are made about women in your presence?

Yes. I have fired people for such behaviour. Though I suspect that my thoughts on what is inappropriate may be a bit narrower than yours.

Why would you think mine is broader? I am owner of a company and my employees already behave well. All I teach, mentor or lead is to treat people with respect no matter what gender or ethnicity. Why would that be broader than yours?

Perhaps I have unfairly linked you in my mind with with Toni, Floof, and phands. If I have, I apologize. The story you told about abuse was actual terrible abuse.

Perhaps not though. In her list of things she considers "sexual harassment" she included simply being asked out on a lunch date.

Why would you think mine is narrower?
He said yours is broader, not narrower. And he would think that probably because you believe that a man asking a woman to a lunch date is already "sexual harassment".

Sorry I will correct my answer, I typed it incorrectly. And no don't make assumptions about me. I have lunch with men at least once a week and no its not sexual harassment. But thanks for playing.

Sorry I will correct my answer, I typed it incorrectly. And no don't make assumptions about me. I have lunch with men at least once a week and no its not sexual harassment. But thanks for playing.

I am not making assumptions. I am responding to what you wrote upthread.

You have never met me, nor do you know me, but you are creating opinions about me anyway. Great job!
It's based on what you wrote upthread.

Starwater's personal story did entail some horrible harassment. I must have missed the part about her being asked out to lunch. Anyway, until I see her post like Floor and Toni do, I'll refrain from addressing her as if she's done so. I was wrong to even hint at it. Her definition may actually be narrower than mine for all I know.

Starwater's personal story did entail some horrible harassment. I must have missed the part about her being asked out to lunch.

I think that one was about a male co-worker asking her to go get him his lunch on the first day they worked together.

I suppose that may or may not be sexist, depending on the circumstances. I've had plenty of people ask me to get them food and never read anything gender related into it.

You have never met me, nor do you know me, but you are creating opinions about me anyway. Great job!
It's based on what you wrote upthread.

Starwater's personal story did entail some horrible harassment. I must have missed the part about her being asked out to lunch. Anyway, until I see her post like Floor and Toni do, I'll refrain from addressing her as if she's done so. I was wrong to even hint at it. Her definition may actually be narrower than mine for all I know.

Thank you Jolly!

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1XGPvbWn0A[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35KqGNa1FGA[/YOUTUBE]

Back to some vids I posted previously, just before my recent 'wobbler'.

I have to say that the way some men acted in that video is somewhat unusual to anything I have seen, and I asked my 22 year old daughter and she agreed. I'm not saying it doesn't happen at all here, especially late at night when people are drunk. But then, we live on the edge of a very small city in a very very small, quite conservative and reserved country. Such things probably happen more often in larger more cosmopolitan and anonymous cities.

Anyways, it highlights the issue.

As does this, from London this time:

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otrvUuPoJF8[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
This in spades. I have walked around NYC by myself, and this is typical.

Malenazi's - you condone this behavior?

Maybe women should start carrying air horns. If a persistent pest won't take "Go Away!" for an answer, let the air horn do the talking. BLAAAAAAAAAAAAT!

The worst ones I saw in those vids were the guys who walked alongside or followed. That's really scary.

But on a lesser note, the dumbest ones were where as she passed by someone just said, 'hey, smile'. Wtf. Like, what, women should go around smiling necessarily? To what? Make themselves seem even more demure and appealing to men?

I do accept that women are 'supposed', traditionally, to smile more, and the reasons behind that (outdated and often sexist gender stereotypes) but it's weird to see it in action.

Anyhows, I loved when the woman in the second video retorted 'say something funny'.

TBut on a lesser note, the dumbest ones were where as she passed by someone just said, 'hey, smile'. Wtf. Like, what, women should go around smiling necessarily? To what? Make themselves seem even more demure and appealing to men?

Why do people always rush to the conclusion that they want them to smile so they are more pleasing to men? Couldn't there be other reasons to suggest to somebody that they smile?

Are "don't worry, be happy", "When you're smiling", and "Put on a happy face" songs of misogyny?

How about "have a nice day?"

Reminds me of an old George Carlin bit where he said he hates when people tell him to "have a nice day" because it puts pressure on him to do so.

Back
Top Bottom