• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Worst Movies for Science

When the movie got released it was reviewed by at least one scientist and that man only found a few flaws.

I really can't believe it's the least scientific movie you've ever seen...unless you've only seen 3 movies in your life.

Perhaps there have been less scientifically accurate movies out there, but what bothered me most about Gravity's egregious inaccuracies is that they were crucial to the advancement of the plot. Although I am the kind of person who would still nitpick over small inaccuracies (like the fact that Sandra's tears wouldn't float away from her face), I don't let those kind prevent me from enjoying a movie. However, when you rely on the errors to tell your story that is when I get really bothered.

Here are the major problems, and they were all critical to the plot:

MAJOR SPOILER ALERT:

1 - The Hubble Space Telescope and the International Space Station are not in the same orbit. It would have been impossible to travel from one to the other.
2 - The ISS and the Chinese Space Station are not in the same orbit. It would have been impossible to travel from one to the other.
3 - None of these are in the same orbit as the communications satellite, so the orbital debris could not have taken them out. It was a critical plot element that there be no communication with the ground.
4 - George died for no apparent reason. Sandra had stopped his motion relative to the space station. All she would have needed to do was a simple tug toward herself and he would have been saved. There is no force that would have made him float away once he was brought to rest.

There are other inaccuracies that demonstrate that the makers of the film did not understand orbital mechanics -- and the whole plot is based on orbital mechanics -- but those don't bother me as much as the above. When terrible science gets in the way of the story-telling, that's when I'm very bothered as a movie-goer.

Furthermore, in addition to the horrible science, I found the characters to be unsympathetic. I was not drawn in by their stories and developed no real concern for what would happen to them. In fact, I'm not sure the movie would have been any worse had the actors not been in it at all. It just wasn't very good story-telling.

I will, on the other hand, grant that the special effects were very good, and some of the interior weightless scenes were very well done.

OK, but several scientists did weigh in on the movie and found it mostly accurate and did say the makers did their homework.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/10/08/gravity-questions-science-experts/

The movie couldn't explain it, other than it created a sort of wormhole. The reason why Contact managed to stay reasonable is that the author bothered to talk about Physicists about the premise before finalizing the book.

For the record, the author of Contact was none other than Dr. Carl Sagan.

Beat me to it. The author of Contact was the astronomer, Dr. Carl Sagan.

Did anyone mention The Day After Tomorrow? Outrunning the cold comes to mind. They literally were running away from a cold snap, and escaped by running into a room and closing the door and throwing some flammable stuff in the fireplace. I lost 10 IQ points just watching that shit.

Did anyone mention The Day After Tomorrow? Outrunning the cold comes to mind. They literally were running away from a cold snap, and escaped by running into a room and closing the door and throwing some flammable stuff in the fireplace. I lost 10 IQ points just watching that shit.

That movie is horrible - I loved it.

The entire studio should be up on criminal charges; I don't think there was a Law of Thermodynamics they didn't break.

I mean, cold that you can run away from is the exact opposite end of the impossibility spectrum to cold so intense it can freeze a woolly mammoth to death in seconds. I mean, even if you dropped a woolly mammoth into a pool of liquid helium at 0.1K (Do NOT try this at home), it would take a while to die - all the fur, hide and blubber would insulate the vital organs. You sure as hell can't freeze one to death in less than a few hours with air that is still warm enough to be a gas at sea-level.

OK, but several scientists did weigh in on the movie and found it mostly accurate and did say the makers did their homework.

First off, I will state that I am a scientist too and have been involved with space-based astronomical missions since the mid '90s.

Secondly, I looked at that link and I don't see them saying it was mostly accurate. In fact, when questioned about the aspects that I have stated I have issues with, they said things like: "not credible", "horribly inaccurate", "The physics on that is totally wrong", "pretty far-fetched", "Isaac Newton won’t let you do that."

What they thought was good was the details of the hardware and look and feel of the space environment. I agree with that, but that doesn't make up for the fact that the plot is based on impossible physics. Just because no other movie since 2001 has even tried to be accurate does not mean that the wrong physics should just be forgiven. As I said, it was the fact that the plot hinges on these impossible things that bothered me most.

I mean, cold that you can run away...

Okay... I am obviously not a physicist or a meteorologist or climatologist or any other -ologist that might be pertinent in this context. But... I lived in Florida when I was younger, and in Colorado when I was older. In both of those states I've seen some pretty freaky weather phenomenon that included some pretty messed up temperature changes. In FL there are rain storms that you can walk away from. They dump a truly ridiculous amount of water out of the sky - it's literally liek someone turned on a kitchen faucet in the clouds, and you can see this massive wall of water approaching you. If you stand still, you can feel the temperature drop several degrees when the edge (yes, edge) of the rainstorm gets within a couple yards. Bu they often (not always) move slowly, and because the edge of the storm front is so sharp, you could walk or run out of the way if you were really motivated, and if the storm were positioned right. It's certainly feasible that you could run into a house to keep from getting wet.

In CO, it was the thunderstorms in the afternoon. Those moved a bit faster, but it was s similar phenomenon. There is a sharp edge to the storm front that you can see coming, and a dramatic temperature drop along with it.

Am I just romanticizing it, from memory?

I remember there being a literary saying that there are only 3 or 4 basic plots.

Love being one of them.

Lord Of The Rings was really a story of fraternal love between a group of men. Strider the outsider finds his way back to wholeness, and gets the girl.

Star Wars was an update of the original western serial movies.

Solo has his native sidekick. Solo isthe morally gray gunslinger part outlaw who finds redemption in the end, and gets the girl

The emperor is the evil western land baron oppressing the simple farmers. With Vader as his number one gunslinger. Luke and company mount a peasant rebellion and the universe is set right.

Yoda the mystic warrior in thewilderness who imparts esoteric 'native wisdom' to Luke. And so on.

In scifi science provides plot devices.The original Star Trek series managed to address very sensitivesocial issues and got away with it. James Doohan said he got letters for years from people who were inspired by his character to go into science and engineering. ST certainly shaped my view of science.

Ursula Le Guin's Left Hand Of Danknessdealt with sexuality using scifi and probably could not have done it in may other form in the times.

Moon Is A Harsh Mistress was a study inhuman sociology and conflict.

There is a lot more to scifi as a medium than scientific accuracy.

LOL at "Original western serial movies".

Guy with sword rescues princess - and you think 'Western' is the original form of that basic story? :eek:

Poor old Shakespeare. All those ideas in his head, and he had to wait three centuries for a setting. Still, it could be worse; the author of Beowulf had a thousand years to wait. :rolleyesa:

It is hard to think of a genre less original than the Western.

Holy crap, what do they do in American schools? 'Cos apparently 'teach' isn't high on the list.

Shakespere had a TV show???

While your sentiment is generally accurate in another context, it is misplaced in a thread about MOVIES and TV SHOWS.
Westerns were the orignal setting of the 'classic' plots when Television became popular.

What were you saying about education? Maybe you were a little over excited to squeeze a gotcha in there somewhere.

The Core, Armageddon, 2012 (fucking neutrinos?).
Understood, but what I see as "hard' science fiction will take liberties with one or a few specific things, but otherwise at least attempt to be 'realistic'. Star Trek certainly does not qualify as hard sf in my view...
In general, it doesn't qualify as science fiction at all. It is space fantasy in my opinion.
Fair enough, I already brought up defining "science fiction" as an issue.

Peez

First off, I will state that I am a scientist too and have been involved with space-based astronomical missions since the mid '90s.

And being vacuum-headed makes you credible? <G>

You can ascertain the credibility of my criticisms for yourself. You can easily verify that I am making no statements that are in conflict with mainstream science. And in fact, the "scientists" who credoconsolans said had reviewed the movie for its scientific accuracy are in complete agreement with me on the physics. I made the statement only to point out that I am at least as credible as the sources that credoconsolans seemed to believe were credible reviewers of the movie, not to make an argument from authority.

It would behoove you to respond to my comments themselves and not my person. If you dislike my comments from another thread you should respond to them there, not here.

I mean, cold that you can run away...

Okay... I am obviously not a physicist or a meteorologist or climatologist or any other -ologist that might be pertinent in this context. But... I lived in Florida when I was younger, and in Colorado when I was older. In both of those states I've seen some pretty freaky weather phenomenon that included some pretty messed up temperature changes. In FL there are rain storms that you can walk away from. They dump a truly ridiculous amount of water out of the sky - it's literally liek someone turned on a kitchen faucet in the clouds, and you can see this massive wall of water approaching you. If you stand still, you can feel the temperature drop several degrees when the edge (yes, edge) of the rainstorm gets within a couple yards. Bu they often (not always) move slowly, and because the edge of the storm front is so sharp, you could walk or run out of the way if you were really motivated, and if the storm were positioned right. It's certainly feasible that you could run into a house to keep from getting wet.

In CO, it was the thunderstorms in the afternoon. Those moved a bit faster, but it was s similar phenomenon. There is a sharp edge to the storm front that you can see coming, and a dramatic temperature drop along with it.

Am I just romanticizing it, from memory?

Keep in mind, in the day after tomorrow, we're talking about shit like helicopters crashing because the fuel in the engine froze over in like two seconds. I'm guessing that's a bit different from what you've experienced.

Keep in mind, in the day after tomorrow, we're talking about shit like helicopters crashing because the fuel in the engine froze over in like two seconds. I'm guessing that's a bit different from what you've experienced.
Well yes, of course.

I was trying to ask whether my memory seems feasible, or whether my childhood impression has been romanticized and I'm off my rocker with respect to the being able to run away from the oncoming weather aspect. I've never been as good at conveying my thoughts in text as I am in person. Inflection and body language just aren't as effective in black and white as I want them to be, and I just can't manage to be funny and entertaining no matter how hard I try.

Inflection and body language just aren't as effective in black and white as I want them to be, and I just can't manage to be funny and entertaining no matter how hard I try.

The trick is to throw concerns for whether others get it out the window, and type the shit that makes you laugh...

...because it doesn't matter that you look weird laughing to yourself so long as you're having fun. Which you are, because you're laughing...

...Unless it's a nervous laugh of despair about how you're laughing to yourself without good reason. I hate it when that happens.

Well yes, of course.

I was trying to ask whether my memory seems feasible, or whether my childhood impression has been romanticized and I'm off my rocker with respect to the being able to run away from the oncoming weather aspect. I've never been as good at conveying my thoughts in text as I am in person. Inflection and body language just aren't as effective in black and white as I want them to be, and I just can't manage to be funny and entertaining no matter how hard I try.
I don't think you are off your rocker but then I'm also not sure exactly what your image of those Florida rain cells were like. ;) I have spent a lot of time in Florida and they do often have very localized rains only a few hundred yards across and, yes, you can see them coming (if in an open area) and get out out of the way. I don't recall a dramatic temperature drop at the edge of them however. Although you can feel a several degree drop in air temperature just before those large thunderstorms with a roll cloud on the leading edge. These, you can't get out of the way of, only seek shelter.

LOL at "Original western serial movies".

Guy with sword rescues princess - and you think 'Western' is the original form of that basic story? :eek:

Poor old Shakespeare. All those ideas in his head, and he had to wait three centuries for a setting. Still, it could be worse; the author of Beowulf had a thousand years to wait. :rolleyesa:

It is hard to think of a genre less original than the Western.

Holy crap, what do they do in American schools? 'Cos apparently 'teach' isn't high on the list.

Shakespere had a TV show???

While your sentiment is generally accurate in another context, it is misplaced in a thread about MOVIES and TV SHOWS.
Westerns were the orignal setting of the 'classic' plots when Television became popular.

What were you saying about education? Maybe you were a little over excited to squeeze a gotcha in there somewhere.
I was responding to a post that starts with "I remember there being a literary saying..."

You think it was all about TV?

Maybe you were a little over excited to squeeze a gotcha in there somewhere. :rolleyesa:

Secondly, I looked at that link and I don't see them saying it was mostly accurate. In fact, when questioned about the aspects that I have stated I have issues with, they said things like: "not credible", "horribly inaccurate", "The physics on that is totally wrong", "pretty far-fetched", "Isaac Newton won’t let you do that."

What they thought was good was the details of the hardware and look and feel of the space environment. I agree with that, but that doesn't make up for the fact that the plot is based on impossible physics. Just because no other movie since 2001 has even tried to be accurate does not mean that the wrong physics should just be forgiven. As I said, it was the fact that the plot hinges on these impossible things that bothered me most.

But they never said all the science was wrong. After all, "pretty far-fetched" doesn't mean impossible and as you said, they did say the producers did their homework.

Back
Top Bottom