• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Yet another shooting thread

Shooter is 14! Just a freshman entering the high school presumably. Has not had time to get bullied yet....
Oh, middle school is very much a training ground for bullies…
Did he shoot some bullies? Would shooting a few bullies cause a drop or a rise in bullying?

To Loren's paranoid concern, the rending of the fabric of society cause by the terror instilled by widespread weapons of mass killing in the hands of ill intended, mentally ill or "blaze of glory" individuals, far exceeds the body count resulting from them. It also FAR exceeds any benefit coming from the ubiquity of those weapons. You don't even have an American Samoa to appeal to in this; you're just WRONG.

We do not know what this kid's motivation was or even what weapon(s) he used. All we know is that he is 14, in custody and that he will be charged as an adult.
So any speculation is a bit premature.

Btw, this happened in my neck of the woods. The school is just past Lawrenceville off 316.

Shooter is 14! Just a freshman entering the high school presumably. Has not had time to get bullied yet....
Did he shoot some bullies? Would shooting a few bullies cause a drop or a rise in bullying?

To Loren's paranoid concern, the rending of the fabric of society cause by the terror instilled by widespread weapons of mass killing in the hands of ill intended, mentally ill or "blaze of glory" individuals, far exceeds the body count resulting from them. It also FAR exceeds any benefit coming from the ubiquity of those weapons. You don't even have an American Samoa to appeal to in this; you're just WRONG.

I have t heard anything about the victims or the shooters.

I was only commenting on the prevalence of bullying behavior at middle schools. Being a victim of bullies is NEVER a justification for shooting anyone. Sometimes it is a partial explanation. Persistent bullying can lead to suicidal thoughts and feelings. It is not a stretch to notice that school shooters do not anticipate surviving their attack. They are themselves suicidal —and want to take as many down with them as possible.

I realize how unpopular it is to state that school shooters are seriously mentally ill but they are. That is not a justification for their actions but a partial underlying motivation. No matter how mentally ill someone is, they are not justified in shooting other people. If they did not have access to guns, they would not be able to shoot other people.

Yes, there are mass killings that do not involve firearms, but those are more rare because it is more difficult to kill a lot of people with a knife or with an explosion.

If we want to stop these shootings, we need to get very very serious about gun control.

If we want to stop people from feeling suicidal and acting on those feelings, we need to do a great deal more to address mental health needs, stop bullying and put an end to child abuse and neglect, wherever it happens.

It is simply a fact that ALL of this needs to be addressed. I’m fine with starting with guns but we need to do a hell of a lot more to address mental health needs in this country.

I meant at the new school he started this year.
I don't know about that particular community.

But around here new high school students are in school with their middle school compadres. Buildings change, but the student body doesn't.
Tom
The mix of students usually does change, though. But the biggest change is going from elementary to middle school, usually.

The mix of students usually does change, though. But the biggest change is going from elementary to middle school, usually.
I knew I must be wrong somehow.
Sorry.
Tom
No, I'm sorry. I'm not trying to one-up anyone. It's just the observation that I saw when I was growing up and with my kids. BIG change was mixing of students from different elementaries into a single middle school, particularly in how those schools chose to sort students. Next big change was for high school. A lot depends on how schools choose to configure their grade levels and whether they sort kids into smaller groups by ability or randomly or whatever means/method they think works best for them.

It was a big change for me when I went from elementary school to middle school. Kindergarten to eighth grade in a Lutheran school. Ninth grade in a public school where I hardly knew anyone because the vast majority of my Lutheran school classmates lived out in the suburbs and I was one of the few that lived in the city. Not that it mattered much because I wasn't liked there much. I was the fat kid from the other side of the tracks.

But otherwise I go with Tom's conjecture over Toni's.

We do not know what this kid's motivation was or even what weapon(s) he used. All we know is that he is 14, in custody and that he will be charged as an adult.
This is bullshit that a fourteen year old will be tried as an adult. A fourteen year old is nowhere near an adult.

It was a big change for me when I went from elementary school to middle school. Kindergarten to eighth grade in a Lutheran school. Ninth grade in a public school where I hardly knew anyone because the vast majority of my Lutheran school classmates lived out in the suburbs and I was one of the few that lived in the city. Not that it mattered much because I wasn't liked there much. I was the fat kid from the other side of the tracks.

But otherwise I go with Tom's conjecture over Toni's.
I think it depends on whether there are multiple middle schools feeding into a high school. And again, how kids are sorted. Fir my kids, middle school was divided into ‘houses’ or pods, with a set of teachers that taught the same 120 students or so, little to no mixing outside of the pod/house you were in. Some re-configuration each year but in the high school, students were assigned classes according to what they wanted to take but most importantly, accirdjng to their perceived academic abilities. Kids for the college prep classes came from across all pods/houses in the middle school. Same with other ‘tiered’ classes. For all of my kids, there was a bigger change in friend groups in high school than going to middle school.

For me, it was kind of the opposite. Smaller school system but we were sorted into ‘sections’ according to perceived(by teachers) academic abilities. I knew almost every kid in my high school classes because almost every one had been in my ‘section’ in middle school. Some variation was introduced depending on what foreign language you took or if you were in band or choir, but generally, almost all ‘college bound’ kids were in most of the same classes,. I was in art classes so I got to know a number of who were referred to as ‘hoods’ —under achievers who almost all had zero interest in art or school, but were placed in those classes because it was hard to get less than a C in them. A few of those were kids I knew from elementary school but I hadn’t been in class with them since.

This is bullshit that a fourteen year old will be tried as an adult. A fourteen year old is nowhere near an adult.

Charging him as an adult does nothing to address the root causes of these situations, such as the widespread availability of firearms, cultural attitudes toward guns, and other societal issues. When the police made that public announcement I was like, "SO FUCKING WHAT!!" at the screen.

The teen aroused concerns last year.
article said:
The online threats were made in May 2023 and were accompanied by photos of guns. The anonymous tips were submitted to the FBI’s National Threat Operations Center and relayed to the Atlanta Field Office and the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office for further action.

Colt Gray, who was 13 at the time, and his father were then interviewed by the sheriff’s office. The father said he had hunting guns in the house but his son did not have unsupervised access to the weapons. The teen denied making the online threats, and the sheriff’s office notified local schools to monitor the situation.
An AR-15 type weapon was used... again. One of the victims who survived allegedly suffered substantial damage to his hip.

Gov. Kemp says right now is not the time to talk about how Governments are failing children.

Charging him as an adult does nothing to address the root causes of these situations, such as the widespread availability of firearms, cultural attitudes toward guns, and other societal issues. When the police made that public announcement I was like, "SO FUCKING WHAT!!" at the screen.
Indeed. Usually there is a line regarding 'getting justice'. One can't get the appropriate amount of justice for losing a child or scarring an entire school population.

America has an absurd fetish over guns and gun violence.

Indeed. Usually there is a line regarding 'getting justice'. One can't get the appropriate amount of justice for losing a child or scarring an entire school population.

Exactly, and they don't see the dismantling of gun culture as justice, clinging to their small firearms as if they could stand against things like the F-35 Lightning II or M1 Abrams. They're also terrified that the very law enforcement they idolize and give unchecked power through qualified immunity could one day turn against them.. :rolleyes: Oh, and let's not forget the criminals! They claim criminals won't follow gun laws, yet most firearms in criminal hands were initially obtained legally. What is wrong with these people?!

Exactly, and they don't see the dismantling of gun culture as justice, clinging to their small firearms as if they could stand against things like the F-35 Lightning II or M1 Abrams. They're also terrified that the very law enforcement they idolize and give unchecked power through qualified immunity could one day turn against them.. :rolleyes: Oh, and let's not forget the criminals! They claim criminals won't follow gun laws, yet most firearms in criminal hands were initially obtained legally. What is wrong with these people?!
A: We need guns to protect ourselves from the Government.
B: Who protects us from all the guns then?
A: That is the price of freedom.
B: ???

All the networks are still completely wound up in this Atlanta school shooting. The media has no sense of perspective.
Four measly deaths don't even make a bump in the graph; according to my research about 120 Americans are shot to death every damn day.
And twice that many are shot. Let's not act all surprised when a few of them are in schools, eh? You want your guns? And more guns and more guns? You got it. Now stop complaining.

Guns are made to kill.

If the guns were locked up and this kid was not allowed near them without "supervision" Then how did he get one?

Guns are made to kill.

If the guns were locked up and this kid was not allowed near them without "supervision" Then how did he get one?
The only logical answer to your question, assuming the premises must be true, is that the kid was supervised to kill.

That’s likely not the answer so one of your premises must be false.

If the parents allowed him access to the gun, hopefully they will be charged similar to the Crumbley case.

The first parents to ever be charged, then convicted, in their child’s mass shooting at a U.S. school were both sentenced Tuesday to 10 to 15 years in prison

If the parents allowed him access to the gun, hopefully they will be charged similar to the Crumbley case.

The first parents to ever be charged, then convicted, in their child’s mass shooting at a U.S. school were both sentenced Tuesday to 10 to 15 years in prison
Those parents effectively facilitated their son in his mass shooting. The parent's actions in that case were so egregiously neglectful, that convictions happened.

How the teen gained access to the weapon is to be determined. I don't even know if we know where it came from, I mean other than ridiculously lax laws that allow these things to be everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom