• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Yet another shooting thread

Among the 10 states with highest gun deaths per capita, 7 are among the top 8 in legal gun ownership rate. The other 3 highest gun death states rank 11th, 13th, and 36th in gun ownership, with Missouri being the sole exception to the very strong positive relationship between legal gun ownership and gun deaths.

Duh! Most gun deaths are suicides.

Run that comparison again looking at murders and you get a different result.
So lots of people committing suicide with guns doesn't concern you?

You deal with that by addressing suicide, not by addressing guns. Those willing to use a gun for suicide are not likely to be deterred by not having a gun.
It's the part where they take as many people with them when they go that could be an avoidable part of the equation..

We all know that even if tomorrow some how they get banded it would take years to get rid of even a small number of the millions out there.
I kinda think this too, although it should never be considered too late.

I have this image in my head (maybe I've seen it somewhere before) of a big courtyard full of people riddled with poverty, despair, crime, greed, stress - and then some unseen hand pours in huge bucket loads of guns into the mix, like adding an important ingredient to a cake.

...and some narrator says "this will make them safer"

They had trouble identifying victims because the wounds were made by .223 bullets !!!
Their congressman for their district, a centrist ex-marine gun rights supporter, said he has changed his mind and these weapons need to be removed from the streets.
Fuck him! I'm so tired of something having to be one degree of separation from people to change their minds about something this awful.

The suspect, just as I predicted (not here), has been found dead.

So much for the death penalty being an effective deterant.

It is all about demand. I am all for control of what we can own under the Second amendment. There is a long history of SCOTUS decisions on that. As long as the demand is driven by hate and fear and tribalism bans will do little. And, the mythology of the wild west is part of it.

If only we could take reasonable and practical measures to prevent such tragedies.

Attachments

• IMG_0218.jpeg
    IMG_0218.jpeg
    15.4 KB · Views: 1
Darn these ‘gun free zones’! Don’t they know the only way to stop a shooter is with a good guy with a gun?

What safety can we expect if they don’t let us carry guns in a...*checks article*.. gun store!

The clerk obviously infringed on the guy’s 2nd amendment rights by asking him to not walk around the store with an unholstered loaded weapon.
The idea that somehow the USA can be disarmed is fantasy.

When I as living in Nashua NH in the 80s a guy in a grocery store had a holstered .45 auto on his hip. An engineer I worked with in NH said he went home, got out of his 'monkey suit', put on jeans, and his sidearm.

I remember crime but no shootings like today.

It is ingrained in culture and it can not be removed. There is a commercial running for a cannabis pain killer. It opens with a guy at a table shooting what appears to be a sniper rifle. At the end he is running around shooting a pistol. Marketing playing to the gun culture.

We have a problem in Seattle with teens robbing teens at gun point for cell phones. Rcently four masked teens with guns got into a school running around robbing students.

Darn these ‘gun free zones’! Don’t they know the only way to stop a shooter is with a good guy with a gun?

What safety can we expect if they don’t let us carry guns in a...*checks article*.. gun store!

The clerk obviously infringed on the guy’s 2nd amendment rights by asking him to not walk around the store with an unholstered loaded weapon.

When I as living in Nashua NH in the 80s a guy in a grocery store had a holstered .45 auto on his hip. An engineer I worked with in NH said he went home, got out of his 'monkey suit', put on jeans, and his sidearm.

It is ingrained in culture and it can not be removed. There is a commercial running for a cannabis pain killer. It opens with a guy at a table shooting what appears to be a sniper rifle. At the end he is running around shooting a pistol. Marketing playing to the gun culture.

We have a problem in Seattle with teens robbing teens at gun point for cell phones. Rcently four masked teens with guns got into a school running around robbing students.
What’s fantasy is thinking anyone is suggesting disarming the USA.

Culture is always evolving - lone-wolf mass shootings are a more recent cultural phenomenon in the USA. As is the general apathy toward reasonable measures to prevent lessen the frequency and severity such tragedies.

Last edited:

Except the answers from the left end up being disarming the USA.

Culture is always evolving - lone-wolf mass shootings are a more recent cultural phenomenon in the USA. As is the general apathy toward reasonable measures to prevent lessen the frequency and severity such tragedies.
Mass shootings are a product of media coverage of mass shootings. Minimize media coverage and there will be a lot fewer. Do not give the shooters notoriety because that's what they are generally after.

It's the part where they take as many people with them when they go that could be an avoidable part of the equation..
Driving a loaded U-haul into a crowd will generally kill more.
Not in a bowling alley.
True, the targets would be different. I'm just saying the death toll of driving a loaded truck into a crowd is going to be higher than a typical mass shooter.
That is wonderful. Oddly, not too many are using trucks to kill people. In fact the most infamous of truck usage was an a bomb in an attempt to topple the WTC towers.

I would note that trucks are almost never, like mile per mile, used to run people over and they provide a viable benefit to society and our economy.

If only we could take reasonable and practical measures to prevent such tragedies.
Expensive and they take a fair amount of space that usually doesn't exist. Thus they are rarely used.
I thought “reasonable and practical” would have covered that,,,

The two are not equivalent in so many other ways.

Except the answers from the left end up being disarming the USA.
I’m from the left and I don’t think that’s the answer. In fact, “answer” isn’t even the right framing here.
Mass shootings are a product of media coverage of mass shootings. Minimize media coverage and there will be a lot fewer. Do not give the shooters notoriety because that's what they are generally after.
Ya, and I guess media coverage of plane crashes caused 9/11.

You’ll need to expand a bit on what “minimize media coverage” means here, because it sounds a lot like you’re advocating censorship

You’ll need to expand a bit on what “minimize media coverage” means here, because it sounds a lot like you’re advocating censorship

Cover it up. When some trumpsucker starts killing people at random, or targets law enforcement, or goes after blacks or Jews or Mexicans, just don’t report it and it will seem like a whole lot less of a problem. Chances are, you don’t know anyone they maimed or killed anyway, right?

They had trouble identifying victims because the wounds were made by .223 bullets !!!
Their congressman for their district, a centrist ex-marine gun rights supporter, said he has changed his mind and these weapons need to be removed from the streets.
But I have it on the authority of our resident .223 authority that the killer could have done this with a .22 or a .38 revolver. Or probably a rock.
Or a sidewalk. Don't forget the lethal power of a sidewalk.

Back
Top Bottom