• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Your opinion on Christian member participation

Should Christians participate here?

• Yes, Christians are welcome to post anything in the appropriate forum area.

Votes: 27 100.0%
  • Maybe, Christians can post general faith related items but nothing regarding their personal faith.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, Christians should not post anything faith related.

• Positively NO, Christians should not be allowed to register or post at all.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ruth Harris

Token Christian,retired bad-ass level tech support
Basic Beliefs
Christian
Okay, let’s hear from you. Do you think Christians should be allowed to post anything related to their faith on this forum in the appropriate areas? Or should they only be allowed to post secular messages? Maybe you think they shouldn’t be allowed here at all.

I have given you several options to choose from, and I am really interested in seeing what the result will be.

It's just that tge purpose of the forum is My Little Pony graphic amputee-fetish fanfiction, so bringing faith into the discussions here is really jarring. None of us MLPGAFFers are reaslly interested in such topics, or equipped to deal with the subject matter.
Plus it's so hard to see a title and ubpnderstand if the underlaying subject is going to be religion.

They are welcome to do so, just like anyone else. But I think they should be obligated to pay 5% of their income to support the forum. That's a better deal than churches, yeah? I volunteer to act as treasurer...errrr, something.

They are welcome to do so, just like anyone else. But I think they should be obligated to pay 5% of their income to support the forum. That's a better deal than churches, yeah? I volunteer to act as treasurer...errrr, something.

I do support this forum monetarily. Do you, or are you full of shit?

Proselytising is boring, and prohibited by the ToU. But apart from such contentless exhortations to convert, repent, or read from a religious text, any and all participation is welcome.

It won't go unchallenged; But don't mistake such challenges for attempts to silence criticism - members pointing out the flaws in an argument ought to be an inspiration to come up with better arguments, and shouldn't be construed as an attempt to dissuade people from posting at all.

Of course, we're all here for entertainment. Being wrong is fine. Being right is fine too. Being boring, not so much. So far, I have yet to see anything from you that I would classify as boring. Although I will admit that I rarely agree with you, at least in the realm of religion :)

I do support this forum monetarily. Do you, or are you full of shit?

Chillax.
He was being funny.

Reactions: WAB
I enjoy the discussions.

Me too. And I even LIKE two of the Christian posters far more than I like some of the more FAR LEFT posters. But I love everyone. Hugs. :)

I admit, I couldn't stand some of the religious follk when I posted as full bore, militant atheist. I remember many a TAG thread, and I still to this day have a major beef with hard line Calvinists. I have a major problem with foreordination, specifically the notion that God created the majority of souls with the absolute intention of damning them to unspeakable suffering for eternity.

Christians can certainly be exasperating, with an inability to evaluate evidence or think logically. I've argued with them often on other forums, and their posts just go round and round. You can show them their logical errors, their factual errors, and their baseless premises, but six or eight posts later the same faulty reasoning or unevidenced premises surface again. Their ideas are not the product of reason, and reason seems unable to budge them.
But, in the interest of fairness and free expression, if they think they have something to contribute, I've no objection. I can always just ignore them.

They're welcome to do so. That doesn't mean we can't make fun of them too.

... should they only be allowed to post secular messages?

Yikes. How boring it'd be...

Hopefully you don't feel unwelcome because of the strong stance of some secular ideologues proclaiming that all religion is wrong and it's ruining the world. IMV the diversity of POV's and cultures/subcultures makes the world more interesting, there are more ideas on offer. The "get rid of all religion" secular activists are the secular version of fundagelicals. There are a few zealots in any gathering of humans.

Reactions: WAB
Christians can certainly be exasperating, with an inability to evaluate evidence or think logically. I've argued with them often on other forums, and their posts just go round and round. You can show them their logical errors, their factual errors, and their baseless premises, but six or eight posts later the same faulty reasoning or unevidenced premises surface again. Their ideas are not the product of reason, and reason seems unable to budge them.
But, in the interest of fairness and free expression, if they think they have something to contribute, I've no objection. I can always just ignore them.

Very well said. Generally speaking I find religious behavior fascinating.

... should they only be allowed to post secular messages?

Yikes. How boring it'd be...

Hopefully you don't feel unwelcome because of the strong stance of some secular ideologues proclaiming that all religion is wrong and it's ruining the world. IMV the diversity of POV's and cultures/subcultures makes the world more interesting, there are more ideas on offer. The "get rid of all religion" secular activists are the secular version of fundagelicals. There are a few zealots in any gathering of humans.

Agreed and +1

Very well said. Generally speaking I find religious behavior fascinating.

Should add: there is NOTHING wrong with atheists criticizing the views of religious people, or indeed of an atheist criticizing the view of another atheist's view of religious people; but there ought to be a sensible limit to how far this criticism should be carried. There does come a point when questioning becomes harassment.

I can't imagine any of the longtime writers on this site saying "Kick them off!" Or any short-timers, either. I don't think it's an issue. I like the idea of being an atheist who doesn't really care if anyone else follows my lead. It's still a ton of fun to write about religious absurdity (or any brand of absurdity.)
Having said that, the Christian that was on-site a couple of months ago who continually gave his witness and listed the requirements of salvation -- he was a bore. But I didn't see anyone demanding that he be kicked off. He was just -- dull (and that's a sin. Not heresy. Not cursing the Holy Ghost. Being crazy boring.)
Also, if there is a Rapture and a Final Dispensation, making all this bizarre Christian stuff real, let it be remembered that I promoted free speech for the Christers. I mean, Christians, members of the Beloved Community. Selah. Shazam.

Should add: there is NOTHING wrong with atheists criticizing the views of religious people, or indeed of an atheist criticizing the view of another atheist's view of religious people; but there ought to be a sensible limit to how far this criticism should be carried. There does come a point when questioning becomes harassment.

Agreed. We can have disagreements about when that point is though. We can also disagree about cases when a person repeatedly espouses bad beliefs and does so without correcting themselves, whether others should just let it go or if it should be answered accordingly because we are better off if we correct ourselves and each other than if we continuously repeat the same mistakes.

In the earliest versions of this forum (early 2000's), discussions between the Atheists and Christians was very popular (now it seems to be Politics). I remember spending most of my time back then in the various Religion forums and rarely venturing elsewhere. I burned out after a while, but I do recall a lot of entertaining and thought provoking discussions we had back then, and I think everyone learned something. Discussions did get tense at times, but people would keep coming back for more, so I guess generally bridges weren't burned in the process. I wish we had those kinds of members and discussions back. It seems we have few Christians here now, compared to the old days.

It's just that tge purpose of the forum is My Little Pony graphic amputee-fetish fanfiction, so bringing faith into the discussions here is really jarring. None of us MLPGAFFers are reaslly interested in such topics, or equipped to deal with the subject matter.
Plus it's so hard to see a title and ubpnderstand if the underlaying subject is going to be religion.
You know, I always thought I was more than a little warped - until I started reading your posts here. You make me feel like a normal person :biggrina:

I will say that you made me laugh with this one.

Ruth

You know, I always thought I was more than a little warped - until I started reading your posts here. You make me feel like a normal person :biggrina:

I will say that you made me laugh with this one.

Ruth

You make it sound like i wasn't utterly serious....

Back
Top Bottom