• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

2022 Midterm Elections - Results and Post Mortem

Govnahs?

Whitmer wins MI governor race, where abortion was on the ballot. And it showed in the vote tallies with women +17 in her favor.

Arizona is a dead heat. Could go either way. Incredible the bags of crap the conservatives are voting for. Lake's main policy is anti-democracy.

O'Rourke is routed in TX. Doesn't even win the women's vote.

Evers (D) is looking to be a slight favorite to win in Wisconsin. He is slightly ahead exit polling wise. Not enough to give him the hat.

House in Ohio, the GOP successfully gerrymandered the House seats down to fucking 2 seats for the Dems and 13 for the Republicans. They diluted minority and liberal vote in Summit (Akron), Stark (Canton), Montgomery (Dayton), and Lucas (Toledo) counties. This will help the GOP win the House, by effectively shitting on Democracy.

Meanwhile, wait for GOP run legislatures to start making modifications for Referendums in their states, needing 60 or 66% to pass, to avoid another pesky MI, KS, or KY result on abortion.

My District might not be done yet. Cheap plastic and completely cardboard cutout GOP AOC was looking to beat Sykes, but Sykes might just have this one.

It gets better! OH-13 is trending blue (my district). OH-1 (Cincinnati) looks to be won by blue, this would be a decent upset. OH-9 (Toledo) appears to be blue too. If this holds, this would mean in an attempt to gerrymander the map and drop the Dems to 2 or 3 seats,, the GOP actually lost 2 seats (12 to 10) and the Dems gain 1 (4 to 5).

Thanks for all that Jimmy. I'm heading off to sleep.

Thanks for the play by play. Taking my EST self to bed, too.

PA appears to be safer for Fetterman. Looking at where the returns remain, the big guy should be able to hold off the Snake Oil salesman from NJ. With the PA gain, that negates the GA loss... well, runoff. Another fucking runoff in Georgia. So NV is all that remains. They decide. Long lines in Las Vegas and the fact that almost nothing fucking changed (!!!!) gives me reason to think that the incumbent will win re-election, and the Senate is still 50-50 and the liberals need to live with Manchin and Sinema. Not that any legislation is getting passed now.

SoS?

Crazy fucks in Arizona and Michigan are out.

Current GOP SoS in GA is in. So again, this shows the limits of Trump... all the while the alt-right populism spreads through the US House via gerrymandered districting.

And exit polling in Nevada implies that Laxalt won. The Urban vote was a near draw. ??? While Laxalt lost the suburbs, but crushed it in the rural areas.

If Walker wins GA, GOP gets both Houses. Fuck!

So what is first on the Democrat agenda after defeating the Republicans in this midterm?
Try to reconcile with them. Pursue some of their agenda items for them. Solemnly praise the value of "reaching across the aisle". Vote for Trump in 2024 because you heard some vague but awful rumors about Kamala Harris hating white men, then have regrets and impeach him again the following Autumn when it's too late to mean anything.

Didn't dare to look till now, but it appears there is no shellacking in sight. 😅

In fact, not bad at all for an incumbent president's party midterm, with low approval, and with high inflation.

Warnock looks like he may finish ahead, but either way will need a runoff.

Didn't dare to look till now, but it appears there is no shellacking in sight. 😅

Equal and opposite shellackings cancel each other out by principle of vector addition.
With the result that no net shellacking is apparent.

In fact, not bad at all for an incumbent president's party midterm, with low approval, and with high inflation.
Indeed. The red wave crashed against the breakwaters of Dobbs and subpar candidates like Walker and Öz and turned into a red ripple.

Warnock looks like he may finish ahead, but either way will need a runoff.
Looks like it. We will be exposed to four more weeks of advertising - especially if the Senate ends up being 50-49 and the balance of power rests on our little runoff yet again.
8a888826-87f6-4889-9c1f-b06fc9de5970_text.gif

My District might not be done yet. Cheap plastic and completely cardboard cutout GOP AOC was looking to beat Sykes, but Sykes might just have this one.
Why do you call Gilbert "cheap plastic and completely cardboard cutout"? She has similar education to Sykes - both have a law degree. Is it because she was in beauty pageants? Seems a tad sexist to demean a woman because of that.

It gets better! OH-13 is trending blue (my district). OH-1 (Cincinnati) looks to be won by blue, this would be a decent upset. OH-9 (Toledo) appears to be blue too. If this holds, this would mean in an attempt to gerrymander the map and drop the Dems to 2 or 3 seats,, the GOP actually lost 2 seats (12 to 10) and the Dems gain 1 (4 to 5).
Gerrymandering is an art, because it can be a double edged sword. The total number of voters cannot be changed, only shifted from one district to another. If the goal of your gerrymander is to maximize the number of seats your party will likely win, you have to sacrifice the safety of those seats. And vice versa. If you focus on safe margins, you leave some possible seats on the board. They flew too close to the sun (on wings of pastrami?) and it seems to have backfired.

Check that, WI went for CT Johnson.
Mandela Barnes was a horrible candidate. The rest of the primary field should not have folded.
Example: He still views Jacob Blake as victim of "racism". And praises felons Huber (domestic violence) and Rosembaum[sic] (child sexual abuse - 11 year olds, dude!).

Abrams loses, proves it is probably a woman thing. Still a hero in my book!
How does her loss "prove" it's a "woman thing"?
She ran a campaign that was not very good. And she was still running in a reddish purple state, and this time against a reasonably popular incumbent.

Back
Top Bottom