• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

6/27/24 presidential debate

Now Biden identifies as a black woman. I think... or something. :confused:

Joe Biden's Gaffes During Post-Debate Interview Raise Eyebrows

"By the way, I'm proud to be, as I said, the first vice president, the first Black woman to serve with a Black president, proud of the first Black woman in the Supreme Court," he said. "There's just so much that we can do because together we—there's nothing. Look, this is the United States of America."

You are playing games.

It is very clear from listening to the audio that Biden did not think he is a Black woman.

He simply restarted his sentence part way through and it was probably even clearer with body language and greater context of the surrounding sentences.

No, he did not IDENTIFY as a Black woman.

On the other hand, Trump did in fact talk about Black jobs and he meant it.

"By the way, I'm proud to be, as I said, the first vice president, the first Black woman to serve with a Black president, proud of the first Black woman in the Supreme Court," he said. "There's just so much that we can do because together we—there's nothing. Look, this is the United States of America."
There are numerous examples of Trump making egregious gaffes as well. Would you like them to be demonstrated?

You are playing games.

It is very clear from listening to the audio that Biden did not think he is a Black woman.

He simply restarted his sentence part way through and it was probably even clearer with body language and greater context of the surrounding sentences.

For the record, no I don't think he really identifies as a black woman. I was joking around. It was just more of Joe's mixed up babbling.

Here's what Trump said in the debate about "black jobs":

His speech above about illegal immigrants taking "black jobs" is supported by this article (which references a Federal government study):

Supporting Illegal Immigration Means Opposing Black Workers

Back in 2008, the United States Commission on Civil Rights assembled a panel of experts whose findings were released in a report called "The Impact of Illegal Immigration on the Wages and Employment Opportunities of Black Workers." The Commission found that illegal workers comprise as much as one-third of immigrants, and that illegal immigration creates a surplus of low-skilled, low-wage labor in the U.S. labor market. Experts on the panel testified that while illegal immigration to the U.S. depresses employment and wages for low-skilled American citizens, Black men are disproportionally affected.
"About six in 10 adult black males have a high school diploma or less and Black men are disproportionately employed in the low-skilled labor market, where they are more likely to be in labor competition with immigrants," the Commission noted in its findings.

So, basically he was using the shortcut "black jobs" versus the more cumbersome "jobs that would traditionally employ black people in the absence of illegal immigration". Is that racially insensitive? Perhaps. As bad as this guy, though? I don't think so.

There are numerous examples of Trump making egregious gaffes as well. Would you like them to be demonstrated?
Go for it!

You are playing games.

Exactly. There is a distinct difference between identifying a group of people who are affected by a policy (i.e. black or hispanic people) and identifying a category of work by race.

Dredging up a statement by Biden from 16 years ago to try and show he is more racially insensitive than a man who routinely identifies brown immigrants as murderers, rapists and criminals, promulgated the birther lies about Obama, and attempted to help railroad the Central Park 5 is pretty desperate partisan weak sauce.

Comparing verbal gaffes between the two candidates can be an amusing parlor game, but it really is inconsequential in terms of relative mental fitness for office given the plethora on both sides.

Back
Top Bottom