• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

A simple explanation of free will.

What's with these outbursts?

I thought you put a condition on my "phony" question, and then I thought we could move on.

Move on? You are leaping around like a flying goat. My outbursts actually mean something. Take it from there.

Okay, then can we can back up to the post where you gave the condition? Or what post do you want to go back to?

Save your outbursts for when they are necessary. If you are always screaming, how will anyone know when you are having a real one?

Move on? You are leaping around like a flying goat. My outbursts actually mean something. Take it from there.

Okay, then can we can back up to the post where you gave the condition? Or what post do you want to go back to?

Save your outbursts for when they are necessary. If you are always screaming, how will anyone know when you are having a real one?

It was a bloody real one! Why dont you read what I write: my outbursts mean something: that you do domething very, very stupid!

That is where you go wrong, ryan. That is your error.

Random vibrations/atomic decay, or whatever random quantum element you care to invoke is not identical with the deterministic structures and processes of sifting information in order to benefit from the selection that is made according to the evolved needs of an organism....regardless of its presence within the system as a form of random 'noise'
There you go again. We were discussing what it would mean if QM were present in the decision-making process; now you have switched the argument to whether or not QM can be present in the decision-making process. This has been happening almost this entire thread.

But I have to disagree with you here anyways. I understand that mainstream neuroscience does not need QM, but isn't it helpful for me that the math of QM apparently models the decision-making process very well in some cases? Apparently they missed some possible QM variables from the microtubules, so as far as I can tell my proposal might be possible.

Consequently, it may well be a part of the system as random noise, but noise that acts upon the deterministic structures of the brain in unpredictable and and non willed ways. More likely than not being expressed as a mental glitch....you forgot where you left your keys or someone's name, etc.

That's a memory glitch. What about how it may work in the decision-making process?

So it's not that I have failed to address your claims, but you fail to support your own claim with a reasoned argument backed by evidence. You cannot show that random elements, if present, are beneficial to decision making.

The new evidence that they are information carriers along with the possibility that they have QM vibrations must be helpful to my proposition that the decision-making process might have a random quality to it, albeit very limited randomness.

And you completely ignore the fact that random changes to decision making are not willed.

Here is another example of you refusing to acknowledge my rebuttal to this issue you have presented over and over again. I have went over this so many times, and I told you in the last post that I was telling you my rebuttal for the last time. If you want to know it, see the second paragraph in my last post to you.
I addressed this exact argument two days ago (#718), but you cut it out of my post. I will not repeat myself anymore. If you won't read what I say, then I have no interest in furthering this discussion.

Except that you did not address a single thing in that post.

You made some vague generalizations - for example - ''Normally, if I have an urge, say to eat ice cream after supper, my will may allow me to do it. But sometimes my will intervenes on my urge, and then I don't eat ice cream.'' - remarks which are not even accurate in terms of the cognitive process.

It was the paragraph immediately above this one that you quoted that addressed your issue more directly.

As if 'you' or 'your will' are separate entities and not aspects of the same process, as if the urge to eat ice cream is somehow a different agency to the urge to abstain, or that any part of this information processing has anything to do with random quantum fluctuations as a reliable and beneficial input into decision making.

First of all, I don't even think "will" is a scientific term; that is why I have been trying to define it scientifically as a decision or the decision-making process. Secondly, I have defined what "I" or "you" is; remember? I don't think it's controversial to that "you" can change one's own mind. Thirdly, a choice doesn't have to be beneficial although sometimes it might be by accident.

There you go again. We were discussing what it would mean if QM were present in the decision-making process; now you have switched the argument to whether or not QM can be present in the decision-making process. This has been happening almost this entire thread.

There is no ''switching'' - as it is your contention that random elements within the system enable 'free will' I am simply pointing out the absurdity of randomness as a foundation of any sort of organized or rational will, yet alone the vague, poorly defined notion of 'free will'

You keep keep dancing and dodging around the fact that random elements are not willed chosen or controlled, therefore are not related to will.

Yet you persist in labeling possible random interference as 'free will.'

You may as well label weather systems as 'free will' - random interference altering patterns in unpredictable ways.

The idea is absurd.

There is no ''switching'' - as it is your contention that random elements within the system enable 'free will' I am simply pointing out the absurdity of randomness as a foundation of any sort of organized or rational will, yet alone the vague, poorly defined notion of 'free will'

You keep keep dancing and dodging around the fact that random elements are not willed chosen or controlled, therefore are not related to will.
Okay, this is the issue that I have addressed more times than any other issue. I even told you that I have said it for the last time, but because you seem genuine, I will explain it again in a different way.

You think I am saying that there is will in the will, the former will being the QM and the latter being whatever the hell will is defined as physically. But I am trying to tell you that the QM would be an element/property of the "real" and only will. This element/property gives the only will the freedom/randomness of whatever its freedom can result in. It may only result in one single possible action, or it may have the freedom to result in more than one possibility.

Okay, this is the issue that I have addressed more times than any other issue. I even told you that I have said it for the last time, but because you seem genuine, I will explain it again in a different way.

I ''seem genuine?'' That comes across as patronizing. Especially when you have not addressed a thing, simply repeating your claims whenever you are questioned. Ignoring all difficulties, difficulties that have been pointed out by several posters, Bilby, Kharakov, FDI, Juma, etc, and myself over the course of this thread and others.

You think I am saying that there is will in the will, the former will being the QM and the latter being whatever the hell will is defined as physically. But I am trying to tell you that the QM would be an element/property of the "real" and only will. This element/property gives the only will the freedom/randomness of whatever its freedom can result in. It may only result in one single possible action, or it may have the freedom to result in more than one possibility.

I know what you have said and what you are claiming, you have repeated your claims often enough. But, as all the above mentioned posters have repeatedly pointed out to you: your claims are not supported by logic, reason or evidence. You do not have an argument. You do not have evidence. You do not have a case.

I ''seem genuine?'' That comes across as patronizing. Especially when you have not addressed a thing, simply repeating your claims whenever you are questioned. Ignoring all difficulties, difficulties that have been pointed out by several posters, Bilby, Kharakov, FDI, Juma, etc, and myself over the course of this thread and others.

I know what you have said and what you are claiming, you have repeated your claims often enough. But, as all the above mentioned posters have repeatedly pointed out to you: your claims are not supported by logic, reason or evidence. You do not have an argument. You do not have evidence. You do not have a case.

Well, if it comes down to popular vote, you win. But I strongly disagree with those votes.

It's not a vote. You can't present a single argument that describes your position in such a way that you do not contradict either reality or what you are saying.

You can't say "random factors affect the will, which free it", because random inputs into the decision making process do not make the decision making process free. Adding additional causal factors to will does the opposite of freeing it- it means it has more causal inputs, rather than less.

Now maybe you can say you can bamboozle yourself into believing you are free by adding more causal factors (alcohol would accomplish this), but this, once again, is not going to "free" your will from causation.

You can't divorce your will from the fact that your brain, every morning, generates your will, which means that in the very least, you have no free will. Perhaps that which causes everything in the universe has free will, but your will is generated by what still exists, even when you are asleep.

It's not a vote. You can't present a single argument that describes your position in such a way that you do not contradict either reality or what you are saying.

You can't say "random factors affect the will, which free it", because random inputs into the decision making process do not make the decision making process free. Adding additional causal factors to will does the opposite of freeing it- it means it has more causal inputs, rather than less.

Now maybe you can say you can bamboozle yourself into believing you are free by adding more causal factors (alcohol would accomplish this), but this, once again, is not going to "free" your will from causation.

You can't divorce your will from the fact that your brain, every morning, generates your will, which means that in the very least, you have no free will. Perhaps that which causes everything in the universe has free will, but your will is generated by what still exists, even when you are asleep.

I have already dealt with all of this in this thread.

Except that you haven't. Not at all. You just reiterate your position and beliefs.

Except that you haven't. Not at all. You just reiterate your position and beliefs.

I would be willing to try it one more time except that we both need to come into it agreeing on definitions and making certain assumptions.

My argument for free will needs to assume QM microtubules or some other inherent QM effect existing as a component of the decision-making process. I also need the terms "free will" and "will" to be defined as something scientific/biological. To keep consistent with the usual definitions of free will, having much to do with decisions and making them, it would seem appropriate to define both terms as the decision-making process.

I sort of doubt he believes anything he says.

Then again, the correct syllogisms he has posted (at times) may simply be flukes. Perhaps they were mistakes on his part, in other words maybe he was always trying to make incorrect statements, and messed up occasionally by making correct statements.

Human will is never free. It is always caused and molded by stuff. The hopes are that the will will be molded into something beautiful, instead of something malignant, by the molding process. Moldy will....

I would be willing to try it one more time except that we both need to come into it agreeing on definitions and making certain assumptions.

My argument for free will needs to assume QM microtubules or some other inherent QM effect existing as a component of the decision-making process. I also need the terms "free will" and "will" to be defined as something scientific/biological. To keep consistent with the usual definitions of free will, having much to do with decisions and making them, it would seem appropriate to define both terms as the decision-making process.

But this is what you have been trying to do over the course of 78 pages in this thread, including several other threads.

What can you do now that you have not already tried to do? So far you have only been able to invoke quantum randomness and microtubules without being able to link anything to willed changes or regulative control of the process, so what can you achieve now?

What do you hope to achieve?

But this is what you have been trying to do over the course of 78 pages in this thread, including several other threads.

What can you do now that you have not already tried to do? So far you have only been able to invoke quantum randomness and microtubules without being able to link anything to willed changes or regulative control of the process, so what can you achieve now?

You're right (seriously). I gave the argument I needed to give, and I have no reason to believe it isn't enough. It's time to move on.

You're right (seriously). I gave the argument I needed to give, and I have no reason to believe it isn't enough.
You mean, apart from its having failed to convince a single person of anything? If that failing is excusable in an argument, then you might as well save your arguments for your own purely private consumption.

The purpose of an argument is to persuade those who do not agree with you to change their position. If your argument has not done that, then it wasn't the argument you needed to give; Or it is powerful evidence that you are in error, and should change your position; Or both.
It's time to move on.

For this thread, I believe that that time passed long ago.

Claiming that the positions you think are silly are just silly, isn't an arguement either.
No. Looking at the world and understanding whats going on sort of makes LFW a silly concept- ...

...In fact, it's quite silly to argue against LFW, because it is so obviously untrue.

Again, still not an argument. Are you sure you understand how philosophy works?

I woke up this morning, my will formed by my brain/body/whatever. I wasn't willing anything while I was asleep.
So?

Follow the causal chain. At what point does your will magically separate from your brain and become an autonomous entity, instead of something more akin to the magnetic field caused by an arrangement of atoms that (the magnetic field) influences the atoms?

Why would LFW require any of that? Please be specific.

Again it's not enough that you feel it ought to, this is something you need to demonstrate.

so I have no reason to beleive you,
Come on Togo, you're the one who makes up stuff about physicists consulting with philosophers, and then won't admit you made it up for 100s of posts.
Telling lies isn't an argument either.
So physicists consult with philosophers on anything other than philosophy of science courses?

Telling lies still isn't an argument.

Nope. You want to argue that causation is only possible under determinism, you need to argue that point.
No. The only thing I'm arguing is that what exists affects what exists, and non-existent stuff does not.

Untrue. That would be materialism. You're arguing for determinism. You're arguing that the entire history of the universe is a single unbroken chain of determined events, and that all events that appear not to fall into this pattern secretly do, we just haven't worked out how yet. It is an extremely bold and dramatic claim, it has some screwy side effects (see cause and effect), and there's no evidence to back it up.

LFW requires non-existent stuff to have an impact on what exists (in other words, it requires a non-existent cause to push things one way or another), which is why it is illogical to the core.

LFW has no requirement for non-existent stuff. If you want to make this claim, you need to back it up with something.

We can see that our brains generate our will. There isn't any room for human LFW.

If you believe that 'brains generating our will' is incompatible with LFW, you need to say why.

Please state why these can't be 'reconciled'.
The current formulations can't (look it up).
Not seeing the contradiction in reconciling QM and a strawberry sundae.
The qualia of strawberry sundae (in a consciousness) cannot be broken down into individual momentum, position, charge, etc. portions and maintain an adequate description of the whole. In other words, you can't look at something as simply momentum, position, charge, etc. and capture the essence of the whole. The wavefunction of a strawberry sundae definitely does not capture the qualia, or describe it in a very meaningful way.

This is a discussion of qualia and the question of whether descriptions of qualities can scale. I'm not seeing the connection between this and QM. Unless you're claiming that classic mechanics somehow do reduce successfully, in a way that QM does not?

and you still havent' demonstrated anything about determinism being true or false.
Reality demonstrates that determinism is true.
Please state how. Without assuming determinism a priori.
Test reality for determinism, then test for non determinism.

How are you preserving the concept of local cause and effect here?
Why would I?

Maybe you don't need to - I'll find out when you answer the question of how you're testing the universe for determinism. However, much of what you're talking about in terms of forces acting on each other, science, and more arguably some aspects of a rational universe, rely on local cause and effect. The determinism you're proposing, in which there are no events other than determined events, is fairly hostile to local cause and effect, because all events are pre-determined in any case.

Are you saying that he needs an argument for his position? Do you?

So, these factors have to be either random, in which case they can't be will at all, or determined, in which case they can be will but can't be free.

Why is it that all factors must either be random or determined?

I think the principle that we're falling afoul of here is that anything that could possibly make up free will must be either determined or random. I notice it in the arguments of DBT and yourself, but not in Ryan's replies, which appear to figure microtubule systems that are neither. Ryan can you confirm?

You can't divorce your will from the fact that your brain, every morning, generates your will, which means that in the very least, you have no free will.

Why can't you share identity with your brain? That is, why can't the physical processes of the brain be part of you. I certainly don't agree with ryan on everything he says, but on this particular point, he has explicitly stated that he sees the physical brain as being part of the decision making process, and thus by extension part of you

You're right (seriously). I gave the argument I needed to give, and I have no reason to believe it isn't enough.
You mean, apart from its having failed to convince a single person of anything? If that failing is excusable in an argument, then you might as well save your arguments for your own purely private consumption.

I understand his argument. Or at least most of it. I don't share his position, but it seems perfectly comprehensible.

I understand his argument. Or at least most of it. I don't share his position, but it seems perfectly comprehensible.

Yeah. Someone is talking to a dollie outside the doll house daddy made. The position seems to be sitting down.

Done.

I woke up this morning, my will formed by my brain/body/whatever. I wasn't willing anything while I was asleep.
So?
Follow the causal chain. At what point does your will magically separate from your brain and become an autonomous entity, instead of something more akin to the magnetic field caused by an arrangement of atoms that (the magnetic field) influences the atoms?
LFW requires that the brain does not cause decisions to be made. In other words, the will caused by the brain must become autonomous in order to have LFW.

Anyway, LFW is not supported by neuroscience. No room for LFWoo.

http://www.cell.com/cell/abstract/S0092-8674(15)00505-X

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/05/150528124403.htm

http://graybiel-lab.mit.edu/members.php

You need to break your habit of defending LFW. There are plenty of morons who believe in it, but you are sharp enough to know better.

So physicists consult with philosophers on anything other than philosophy of science courses?
So you weren't presenting an argument. It still seems disingenuous, as the subject of that thread revolved around the use of philosophy, and then you made that claim and never backed it up. At the very least, it was reckless to claim that physicists regularly consult with philosophers, especially since they apparently don't (although the physicist I asked said a physicist might consult a philosopher in some circumstance after first scoffing and saying "why would a physicist consult a philosopher?").

You're arguing that the entire history of the universe is a single unbroken chain of determined events
A 4+ dimensional web of events is not a single chain by any means.
LFW has no requirement for non-existent stuff.
For something that doesn't exist to exist, it requires non-existent stuff to exist. LFW doesn't exist. I know, it's a tautology, but I'm not going to explain the whole non-existence of LFW in every single comment about its non existence. Maybe some neuroscientists need to consult with you on how established structures in the brain do not cause decisions to be made, or how genetics and environmental factors that operate at the classical level cause the neural structures to be formed?

If you believe that 'brains generating our will' is incompatible with LFW, you need to say why.
The brain causes the will's existence, the will is not free from the characteristics the brain and its own existence* cause it to have. *In other words, after the will is caused to exist, its influence on the brain influences itself.
The qualia of strawberry sundae (in a consciousness) cannot be broken down into individual momentum, position, charge, etc. portions and maintain an adequate description of the whole. In other words, you can't look at something as simply momentum, position, charge, etc. and capture the essence of the whole. The wavefunction of a strawberry sundae definitely does not capture the qualia, or describe it in a very meaningful way.
This is a discussion of qualia and the question of whether descriptions of qualities can scale. I'm not seeing the connection between this and QM.
So you can't see how the qualia of a strawberry sundae can be reconciled with the measurements of QM, since the measurements of QM do not include all of the properties of the system?

If you can't measure the strawberryness of an electron...

and you still havent' demonstrated anything about determinism being true or false.

Have you ever observed anything changing without something changing it? You don't have to assume anything. Things change when something/someone changes them. You observe this all the time.

The determinism you're proposing, in which there are no events other than determined events, is fairly hostile to local cause and effect, because all events are pre-determined in any case.
There can be nonlocal variables that weigh into decisions as well as local factors.
Are you saying that he needs an argument for his position?
No. Reread it.
If reality causes you to think certain things about reality (brain structure, environmental variables that impact brain structure, etc.), you don't actually have to argue for the position. It could be that certain individuals are simply unable to understand reality, because it is deterministic in the sense that you can't mix potato with a cucumber and get a toccata and fugue in d minor any more than you can get understanding from an inadequate neural substructure. :shrug:
Why can't you share identity with your brain?
Why can't a magnet be the magnetic field it generates?

So?
LFW requires that the brain does not cause decisions to be made.

No, it doesn't. It requires is that decisions are not pre-determined. That's everything to do with the thesis that all events in the universe are (secretly) determined in advance. It's very little to do with the structure of the brain.

Is it possible you are confusing 'determined' with 'caused'? If I push a boulder down a hill, I've caused the boulder to fall down the hill. But I've not determined it.

In other words, the will caused by the brain must become autonomous in order to have LFW.

Only autonomous from pre-determination, not from the brain.

Anyway, LFW is not supported by neuroscience. No room for LFWoo.

Please state the conflict, without assuming determinism. Feel free to use as much technical language as you like. None of your examples appear to be incompatible with LFW.

You need to break your habit of defending LFW. There are plenty of morons who believe in it, but you are sharp enough to know better.

I don't consider determinism to be a workable thesis. Once determinism is ruled out, there's not really any reason to reject LFW.

So you weren't...

Telling lies still isn't going to get you anywhere.

You're arguing that the entire history of the universe is a single unbroken chain of determined events
A 4+ dimensional web of events is not a single chain by any means.

A single interlocking branching and weaving chain, but still a single-source unbroken chain nonetheless. An event in the present is still linked to the distant past, and events in the distant past are still, by definition, better predictors of future events than events in the present.

LFW has no requirement for non-existent stuff.
For something that doesn't exist to exist, it requires non-existent stuff to exist. LFW doesn't exist. I know, it's a tautology,

Then why are you presenting it?

but I'm not going to explain the whole non-existence of LFW in every single comment about its non existence.

How about doing it once? I don't believe you have anything to dismiss LFW that doesn't boil down to assuming determinism.

The brain causes the will's existence, the will is not free from the characteristics the brain and its own existence* cause it to have. *In other words, after the will is caused to exist, its influence on the brain influences itself.

How does that make it incompatible with LFW? Do you believe that LFW is somehow dependent on will being unrelated to the brain, or it's own existence? Can you explain why?

I feel like I'm just asking the same questions over and over again, each time peeling back another layer of assumptions. You seem to have quite well-established views about what LFW requires that don't match those of anyone who supports LFW. If that's the point of disagreement, then it's not profitable to support your opinion by just referencing another opinion, equally disputed. Ideally we should be able to tie your objection back from a definition we both agree on (and we seem to be on the same page there) to something about LFW that is either true by definition, or can be argued to be logically necessary.

The problem there, of course, is that doing so in a complete and unambiguous fashion would be a huge amount of work for you. So practically we have to go with fairly scrappy references to arguments and expand where necessary.

But the gap is pretty huge. For example, I've not seen a convincing argument for:
LFW requiring independence from a physical brain
The output of physical systems (such as the brain) being predetermined
LFW requiring anything other than purely physical systems
LFW contradicting science in any way, not even by implication
Causation requiring or implying determinism
and so on. So assuming these things is just going to generate more requests for explanations, because I don't think these are points that you demonstrate.

This is a discussion of qualia and the question of whether descriptions of qualities can scale. I'm not seeing the connection between this and QM.
So you can't see how the qualia of a strawberry sundae can be reconciled with the measurements of QM, since the measurements of QM do not include all of the properties of the system?

If you can't measure the strawberryness of an electron...

But that's a problem with any reduction. When you break down an explanation of the whole into an explanation of the parts, then information is lost. That's not a problem with qualia in particular, or even with QM. You can't measure the fire-stationess of a pile of bricks, but that doesn't mean that you can't build fire stations, or that fire stations aren't made of bricks. Same problem, no qualia involved, no QM involved. So how is this a problem with QM?

Have you ever observed anything changing without something changing it? You don't have to assume anything.

Yes, of course I've observed something changing without observing anything changing it. So have you. This forum's posts change without us observing anything changing it. Granted you may have a fairly robust theory as to how they arise, based on theorising the existence of an entity called 'Togo' who originates infuriating messages. But that theory could be wrong, if the posts marked 'Togo' are actually created by a bot, or ryan wearing a wig and false moustache. Because you don't observe Togo changing the information on the forum. You just observe the change and then assume the cause. That's entirely typical.

Turn the question around. Have you ever observed an event, and every single factor that was involved in that outcome. I haven't. I don't think it's possible. Yet this is what you're telling me you're observing. So it doesn't seem unreasonable to ask how.

The determinism you're proposing, in which there are no events other than determined events, is fairly hostile to local cause and effect, because all events are pre-determined in any case.
There can be nonlocal variables that weigh into decisions as well as local factors.

Of course, but that's not the point.

Take an event, a ball, that was at rest at the top of a hill, rolls down the hill.

Now, under cause and effect, the effect is the ball being set into motion, and the cause is me pushing it with a big stick. Other factors are involved, of course, but the proximate local cause is me.

Under determinism, the effect is still the ball being set into motion. It was set into motion by the stick, which was set into motion by my hand, which was set into motion by my brain, which was set into motion by my upbringing and genetics, which was set into motion by my existence, which was set into my motion by my parents, who were set into motion by a power cut, and so on back to the dawn of time. It doesn't make sense, under this system to assign the status of 'cause' to any specific step in the chain. Everything, all phenomena, and all events throughout all of history, have at best a single cause, the Big Bang, and even the status is that is dodgy (since it violates determinism). At worse, the concept of cause becomes an illusion.

If reality causes you to think certain things about reality (brain structure, environmental variables that impact brain structure, etc.), you don't actually have to argue for the position. It could be that certain individuals are simply unable to understand reality, because it is deterministic in the sense that you can't mix potato with a cucumber and get a toccata and fugue in d minor any more than you can get understanding from an inadequate neural substructure. :shrug:

Great, so the world is divided into the believers and the unbelievers, who lack the undefinable substance to fully appreciate the majesty of G- sorry, of your theory.

Do I really need to explain the flaw with that one?

Why can't you share identity with your brain?
Why can't a magnet be the magnetic field it generates?

That doesn't answer the question. Can you give the actual answer, to either question, so I can understand what you're going on about?

Back
Top Bottom