• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

ABOUT BARBIE (The doll not the movie.)

I have a friend--in her sixties--who is proud of her Barbie collection. She has some limited editions still in the original box.

Whenever the subject comes up, she brags that some of these editions have been selling for four figures. But when asked if she'll sell them, she's offended. "NO! They're cherished heirlooms!"

Which makes me wonder if one can really put a price tag on something that one would never dream of selling.
Yeah, it’s beotches like that that drive up prices!

I never got the point of Barbie, GI Joe or any other human likeness that wasn't animated.
I tried to like Lincoln Logs - not much versatility there. The thing that engaged me was the erector set. When I got the one with the little electric motor that let you make stuff that DID stuff - that was what held my fascination. Mostly though, I was into wandering into the woods with the dogs. Nobody told me there were dangers there other than copperheads ("Don't let the dogs get bit!"), and there was no limit to new things and animals to see ...

Barbie I understand but you never got the point of GI Joe action figures? I was a GOD for ... my own sake!!

Speaking of Barbie the doll, who remembers this old kid's joke from the '70's? <Caution: may not be suitable for all ages>

Why did Barbie's boobs turn blue?

G.I. Joe had Kung Fu grip

I never got the point of Barbie, GI Joe or any other human likeness that wasn't animated.
I tried to like Lincoln Logs - not much versatility there. The thing that engaged me was the erector set. When I got the one with the little electric motor that let you make stuff that DID stuff - that was what held my fascination. Mostly though, I was into wandering into the woods with the dogs. Nobody told me there were dangers there other than copperheads ("Don't let the dogs get bit!"), and there was no limit to new things and animals to see ...

Barbie I understand but you never got the point of GI Joe action figures? I was a GOD for ... my own sake!!
Oh I loved looking at them, picking them up - even setting up a battle or two. Then … nothing, really. It’s not like the stupid guy is going to do anything. So after a few times … I did some experiments on them that would make Mengele blush - tensile strength, melting point, material memory...
total time invested <4 hrs, including destructive testing. Barbie got some similar treatment, minus the battlefield stuff.

I was hinting at the notion that, with a vivid imagination, there's no limit to the adventures you can have with GI Joe action figures. In between our battles with that evil deity called my sister, we triumphantly defended the Earth, Solar System, Galaxy, Cluster, Supercluster, Universe, and even the Multiverse before it became all the rage outside of comics!

Hot wheels as roller skates?!?! My tiny comrades would definitely have gotten along well with them. Storm Shadow probably would have gotten himself killed for trying to hit on them though. He was the womanizer.

Hot wheels as roller skates?!?! My tiny comrades would definitely have gotten along well with them. Storm Shadow probably would have gotten himself killed for trying to hit on them though. He was the womanizer.
I'm fairly sure that my mohawked metal makeup doll would have preferred that to Ken's vacuous smile and blasé wardrobe selection. She'd have armed up to stop the intergalactic invasion in a heartbeat.

None of my plastic people had names. Are all GI Joes named “Joe”?

I have a friend--in her sixties--who is proud of her Barbie collection. She has some limited editions still in the original box.

Whenever the subject comes up, she brags that some of these editions have been selling for four figures. But when asked if she'll sell them, she's offended. "NO! They're cherished heirlooms!"

Which makes me wonder if one can really put a price tag on something that one would never dream of selling.
A stainless-steel Daytona Rolex owned by Paul Newman was sold at auction for US$17.8 million at Phillips in October 2017. The wristwatch has a white dial, three black sub dials, a red outer track and Joanne Woodward's engraving on the back: “DRIVE CAREFULLY ME.”

A stainless-steel Daytona Rolex owned by Paul Newman was sold at auction for US$17.8 million at Phillips in October 2017. The wristwatch has a white dial, three black sub dials, a red outer track and Joanne Woodward's engraving on the back: “DRIVE CAREFULLY ME.”
Story I heard about Paul Newman this morning. Jody Hamilton, Carol Burnett's daughter, said her mom had a yoga class in her home for her and some friends. Paul Newman stopped by. Everyone in the class was just enthralled. "He's so pretty" was exclaimed. And film and photographs don't do justice to his eyes.

Story I heard about Paul Newman this morning. Jody Hamilton, Carol Burnett's daughter, said her mom had a yoga class in her home for her and some friends. Paul Newman stopped by. Everyone in the class was just enthralled. "He's so pretty" was exclaimed. And film and photographs don't do justice to his eyes.

Universally good looking guy.

Speaking for myself (and keep in mind, I never owned an actual Barbie), my dolls and stuffed animals were mostly used for enacting the elaborate games and inhabiting (along with me, their benevolent pirate queen/inventor/artist/story teller) that I invented, primarily because they were much more compliant and less likely to cry and go running to our mother than my actual siblings. They did not challenge my authority or offer off-topic suggestions or pretend that I hurt them when I did nothing of the sort. They were fabulous.

We also built forts with blocks, tinker toys, Lincoln logs, pillows, rocks, boards, branches, blankets, whatever we could get our hands on.

My other best friend was our beagle who, as was the custom of the day in my neck of the woods, lived in the back yard and had a barrel on slats, filled half way with straw, a piece of burlap for a door. When I went missing for too long, that's where my mom would find me. She used to say things like: I think you like that dog more than your own sister. I'd think to myself: D'oh. But only to myself. I wasn't stupid.

Greg Locke gets Barbie triggered.

Mount Juliet, Tennessee pastor Greg Locke is really, really mad about Barbie — both the incredibly successful film and the beloved doll. In a clip shared this week by the Tennessee Holler, Locke is seen ranting about “the enemy” before he attacks a Barbie Dream House with a Bible attached to a baseball bat.

Locke, a Nashville-based religious leader known for his bouts of showmanship, is an open supporter of former President Donald Trump. His outburst took place during a sermon before the “Barbie” movie was released last month.

Where was Greg when I was battling my sister? :mad:

Can't tell if serious...

GI Joe is a specific character, after whom the set is named. I believe it was either a cartoon or a comic book prior to being made into an action figure (because boys don't play with dolls, right?). So all of the figures that were actually GI Joe (the character) were named Joe. The others had different names.

Same is true of Barbie though. Barbie is one character in the set. There's also Ken and Skipper, and there may be newer ones since my youth.

A question for the grandchildren, really.
More or less. My grandma had a collection of ~40 Hummel figurines, and some Dresden dolls. I'm not into them at all, but I also won't sell them. I had them appraised prior to moving across the country, because they're surprisingly valuable. At some point they'll go to my brother's daughter, as the only other female descendent from my paternal grandmother. Unless my nephew speaks up that he is really into slightly creepy 3" tall figures of little kids made by some german nun. Or ballerinas, I guess.

Can't tell if serious...

GI Joe is a specific character, after whom the set is named. I believe it was either a cartoon or a comic book prior to being made into an action figure (because boys don't play with dolls, right?). So all of the figures that were actually GI Joe (the character) were named Joe. The others had different names.

Same is true of Barbie though. Barbie is one character in the set. There's also Ken and Skipper, and there may be newer ones since my youth.
Thanks for clearing that up, Emily.
For future reference, if you’re wondering if I’m serious, the answer is almost certainly no.

Can't tell if serious...

Thanks for clearing that up, Emily.
For future reference, if you’re wondering if I’m serious, the answer is almost certainly no.
I shall endeavor to remember that.

I'm very bad at picking up sarcasm from text. I'm not even particularly good at it IRL.

Back
Top Bottom