• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

AOC has lots of fun stuff in her Twitter and Instagram feeds. Like this:

GrowNYC Bronx on Instagram: “Join GrowNYC for our first FREE family Craft Along Zoom meet-up on Wednesday, April 8!…”
Join GrowNYC for our first FREE family Craft Along Zoom meet-up on Wednesday, April 8! We'll be making a plastic bottle self-irrigated planter (swipe left for a preview!). ⁠

Every other week we will turn trash into treasure with an upcycled craft project (parent assistance may be needed). Before we can craft together, you'll have to gather the materials.⁠

The best part? Everything you need is probably already in your home! (Hint: check the recycling bin.) Go to the link in our bio to learn more and make sure to register to receive the link and password!

GrowNYC Bronx on Instagram: “Join GrowNYC for our first FREE family Craft Along Zoom meet-up on Wednesday, April 8!…”
Join GrowNYC for our first FREE family Craft Along Zoom meet-up on Wednesday, April 8! We'll be making a plastic bottle self-irrigated planter (swipe left for a preview!). ⁠

Every other week we will turn trash into treasure with an upcycled craft project (parent assistance may be needed). Before we can craft together, you'll have to gather the materials.⁠

The best part? Everything you need is probably already in your home! (Hint: check the recycling bin.) Go to the link in our bio to learn more and make sure to register to receive the link and password!

Perhaps she's missed her vocation completely. She may be better suited as a kindergarten teacher? hold on, that's not a good idea either. She's start the brainwashing of innocent tender little kiddies right when they're at their most vulnerable.

Join GrowNYC for our first FREE family Craft Along Zoom meet-up on Wednesday, April 8! We'll be making a plastic bottle self-irrigated planter ...
Perhaps she's missed her vocation completely. She may be better suited as a kindergarten teacher? hold on, that's not a good idea either. She's start the brainwashing of innocent tender little kiddies right when they're at their most vulnerable.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Sometimes it still stops me in my tracks that because I believe insulin should be free, workers shld be paid justly, we shld house the homeless and not cage families, & that all people should be free to pursue education as they wish,for THAT we are treated as radical & dangerous." / Twitter

Chamber of Commerce backs AOC's primary challenger - POLITICO - Michelle Caruso-Cabrera
The traditionally conservative U.S. Chamber of Commerce is planning to endorse a primary challenger to progressive icon Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, a move that represents a dramatic intervention in a Democratic race.

The influential organization typically supports Republican candidates who are closely aligned with the business community. But the Chamber has decided to help Michelle Caruso-Cabrera, a former CNBC anchor who is waging an underdog challenge to Ocasio-Cortez. The freshman New York City congresswoman is perhaps the most prominent liberal in the House.
Hoping to score the sort of triumph that AOC herself had scored against Joe Crowley, an out-of-touch party boss. When he was defeated, he became a corporate lobbyist.
A person close to Caruso-Cabrera said she raised over $1 million during her first 47 days in the race, a substantial sum that is expected to be reflected in finance reports to be filed next week.

The challenger has tapped several high-profile New York City-based political strategists, including E. O'Brien Murray, Hank Sheinkopf and Doug Schoen. Schoen served as a pollster for former New York City Mayor Mike Bloomberg.
AOC has already raised $5M, so she's ready to fight.

The article got a lot of comments, like
Mark Lewandowski
Accepting money from the US Chamber of Commerce makes one a
DINO.

LaVonne Swyter
The man she unseated certainly was.

John Mac Cormack
Kiss of death for Michelle the only thing worse would be having the NRA stump for her.

Lance Denning
Reelection rates for House incumbents over the last thirty years is 98%, with most seats labeled as not remotely competitive. Given her own fundraising prowess and her national visibility, AOC isn't going anywhere other than where she wants to go.

Phil Bastanchury
The USCoC wants to get America opened for business ASAP? Good. Let them put their money and safety where their mouth is and defy pulic health policy by holding a massive rally for Caruso-Caberra. In the next week or so, if possible. Get Trump to show up, cameras rolling. Go for it, I dare you!

DeWitts Vargas
Lol, they're terrified of AOC.

Al Speed
AOC ain't going anywhere. For all intents and purposes, she's got a lifetime appointment in her district....for as long as she wants it. The CoC is wasting their time backing a primary challenger. Might as well try running against Jake DeGrom in CitiField.

Aaron Clow
She's been incredibly smart and has tempered her rhetoric as of late. She also knows when to cooperate to get things done, unlike some other progressives I could name. I agree, I think she'll be fine.

Leslie Plamondon Davis
Our local CofC is a joke here........they always side with the developers and big money and the heck with the local people......you go AOC....
It got a lot of negative comments, also, like someone saying that the only person he likes less than AOC is MCC, someone saying that she is an absolute nutcase, and someone saying that she is as bad as COVID-19. Also wanting to make her a bartender again.

“Ideas That Are Lying Around” on Twitter: "Hoping to hear the @DCCC and @RepCheri run a full-court condemnation of the Chamber of Commerce for supporting a primary challenge to an incumbent Democrat any minute now. https://t.co/O8yuidFpe1" / Twitter

The DCCC has officially boycotted any campaign-consultant companies that help challengers to incumbents.

Anthony on Twitter: "@_waleedshahid @dccc @RepCheri “It’s time we acknowledge that not all Democrats are the same” ~AOC🇺🇸" / Twitter

From her "Courage to Change" video. She slammed her opponent as being supported by big money and for not living in his district.

Filosofella on Twitter: "@_waleedshahid @dccc @RepCheri A primary challenge from a conservative, running in a Dem primary. This 👇 is Republican BS if I ever saw it. You could replace her name with Cruz, or Ryan, and no one would blink an eye.c https://t.co/gmRDAYfyju" / Twitter
From  Michelle Caruso-Cabrera,
Caruso-Cabrera is the author of the 2010 book, You Know I'm Right: More Prosperity, Less Government. The book calls for "fiscal conservatism, limited government and personal responsibility."

Sean S on Twitter: "@_waleedshahid @dccc @RepCheri This is a literal fake Democrat who has called herself an economic conservative and Reagan her favorite president in the past. Should be a slam dunk for the party establishment to back AOC. And yet I doubt they will." / Twitter

-

COVID19 Tone Monitor on Twitter: "The bland neutral headline is covering up a lot. "Corporate dark money group to fund intra-party challenge to raising taxes on wealthy corporations" would be more accurate. @AOC #AOC [url]https://t.co/jf0KI8LlDf https://t.co/H1VdfzfiNM" / Twitter[/url]

with this odd response:
American🇺🇸 on Twitter: "@Mccallforall @AOC Nice try!!! @AOC is the one who used dark money!!! How the hell did this idiot get elected????? Soros" / Twitter - George Soros, a favorite villain of the right wing.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "In tough times, it’s still important to find moments to unplug from stress and seek joy.
Tomorrow night I’ll be hosting a Drag Race watch party on IG live.
During the commercial breaks, we’ll kiki w/ NY14 LGBT+ organizers and answer questions 🏳️*🌈✨ https://t.co/dzUgl7Qkk6" / Twitter

'Drag Race' teases first look at guest judge Ocasio-Cortez | TheHill
Ocasio-Cortez makes her debut on the show on Friday, in which the contestants compete in a "Rusical" dedicated to pop icon Madonna.

In a promo for the show, Ocasio-Cortez is dubbed "the judge America needs right now." The 30-year-old lawmaker is seen doling out encouraging words to one of the contestants, saying, "There's no reason for you to be uncertain right now."
I must say that AOC reminds me of Madonna, at least in Madonna's earlier years.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Sitcom Antagonist | National Review
Amusing side note: There is a New York congresswoman on the show, complete with long, hyphenated surname, who is an obvious ringer for Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, and she’s one of the many sources of irritation for Carell’s General Naird. She is constantly questioning the Space Force program and its spending, which she thinks would be more wisely spent on food stamps for her constituents. In one early episode, she grills him sarcastically at a congressional budget hearing, but he unexpectedly turns the tables on her. It’s beautiful to watch and kind of surprisingly patriotic too.
Sort of like Los Angeles Congresswoman Cristina Martinez-Ortega in my "Contact across the Solar System"

Jordan Weissmann on Twitter: "Worth noting that the two members of Congress who’ve asked Jay Powell the most on-point, penetrating questions about monetary policy this past year have been @AOC and @RashidaTlaib." / Twitter

Jordan Weissmann on Twitter: "AOC about full employment. Tlaib about munis and monetary financing.
I hate to say it—like, REALLY do—but this might partially be a positive influence of MMTers. (Both have connections to that movement.)" / Twitter

Jordan Weissmann on Twitter: "That said, it could also just be that they’re both smart people with good staffs." / Twitter

Michelle Caruso-Cabrera raises $1 million in bid to topple AOC - AOC has $5 million, raised from small contributions, but MCC is likely to get a lot of "dark money".
“The outpouring of support has been amazing. Before Coronavirus people were stopping me on the street showing their excitement. And from the beginning the countless handwritten letters from near and far s from across the country have been so moving,” said Caruso-Cabrera said.

“The national and local messages are clear: I will unite. AOC’s reign of division will end. This early financial and political support shows unstoppable momentum. As they say in New York, ‘you ain’t seen nothing yet.’ “

US Chamber of Commerce to endorse and support AOC's primary challenger
“I am the daughter and granddaughter of working class Italian and Cuban immigrants,” Caruso-Cabrera said in a statement after announcing her plan to run for office in February. “I am so lucky to have had such a wonderful career and I want everybody to have the opportunity that I’ve had. That’s why I’m running.”
US Chamber of Commerce backs AOC primary challenger | The Independent
“The Bronx and Queens need jobs now. Michelle Caruso-Cabrera supports keeping and creating jobs while her anti-jobs opponent AOC kicked out Amazon and drove away more than 25,000 good paying jobs with benefits,” spokeswoman Katy Delgado said.

“It’s no surprise that organisations who want jobs for the Bronx and Queens support Michelle.”
Like be on the Board of Directors of a financial-services company.

The CoC plans to mobilize the local business community to oppose AOC.
“Michelle is one of the most qualified and competent candidates we have met with this cycle. Her communication skills on jobs and growth will create a clear contrast with AOC,” Scott Reed, the senior political strategist at the US Chamber of Commerce, said on Wednesday. “We plan on using our national network to get her the financial resources to win this race.”

Badrun Khan on Twitter: "One of my challengers, @MCaruso_Cabrera, is a Republican turned Democrat who is now being backed by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. Let's not forget how the chamber opposed the House Dems' anti-corruption bill & is an insanely wealthy, lobbying group for fossil fuels & big pharma." / Twitter

Checking BK's Twitter feed reveals concern about domestic violence, human trafficking, Andrew Yang and universal basic income, how disastrous the COVID-19 pandemic is for ordinary people, voting by mail, Trump being very very bad, ... -- she seems much like AOC.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/03/aoc-ripped-for-holding-coronavirus-forum-from-plush-dc-abode/

ad' members want to make illegal immigrants eligible for coronavirus aid
AOC wants coronavirus 'reparations' for minority communities
With her district ravaged by the coronavirus, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is coming under fire for participating in a “virtual forum” with constituents — from the comforts of her plush abode in DC.

The House of Representatives wasn’t in session Wednesday when AOC appeared in the video forum hosted by allies with the group Make The Road NY, which was posted on Facebook. The topic: “COVID-19 and the Stimulus” law approved by Congress and signed by President Trump.

The neighborhoods in or near the 14th Congressional District, covering parts of Queens and The Bronx, are among the hardest-hit in the city and country by COVID-19, according to maps released by Mayor Bill de Blasio’s office. Her district office is in Jackson Heights.

The campaign of Democratic primary opponent Michelle Caruso-Cabrera noticed that the background of the room behind Ocasio-Cortez in the video matched the design of the apartment complex where AOC lives in the fashionable DC Navy Yard neighborhood.

With her district ravaged by the coronavirus, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is coming under fire for participating in a “virtual forum” with constituents — from the comforts of her plush abode in DC. ...

The campaign of Democratic primary opponent Michelle Caruso-Cabrera noticed that the background of the room behind Ocasio-Cortez in the video matched the design of the apartment complex where AOC lives in the fashionable DC Navy Yard neighborhood.
I think that we all know what a peasant MCC is. Serving on the Board of Directors or some financial-services company.

AOC herself went to DC for a vote on something, IIRC, and she went back to NYC soon after. She recently did this: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Instagram: “Sometimes you just gotta take things into your own hands…”
Sometimes you just gotta take things into your own hands.
THANK YOU to everyone that’s donating time and spare change to our community phonebank check-in effort & NY14 food pantry fund. As many of you know, our district, NY14, is the hardest-hit COVID community in the country.
Because of your phonebanking shifts and donations, we are able to partner with @hungrymonknyc + Jewish Community Council Pelham to identify NY14’s hardest-hit neighborhoods and deliver meals to families in need.
This morning we delivered groceries to families in LeFrak City. It means a lot for the safety of seniors and others to not have to go out and wait in a crowded line for food. Thank you all for making this project possible. 🌎
📸: @coreytorpiephotography

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez judges ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race'

They did a homage to Madonna Louise Ciccone called "Madonna: The Unauthorized Rusical". AOC, the "queen from Queens" and a "ray of light in the U.S. Congress", was, according to the article, a "fierce" guest judge, giving "good face and good advice."
AOC is well-known for her Drag Race fandom. Last year, she gave several shoutouts on social media to Season 11’s Miss Congeniality/social activist Nina West, quoted All Stars 4 winner Monique Hart on Twitter, and expressed a desire to be a Drag Race judge. Friday, while having a kiki with the current contestants on the aftershow Untucked, she said it was a “dream come true” to finally appear on the program, telling them: “Last year, I was bartending in a restaurant — that was my life, last February. Every night I would come home, and the only thing that would help me disconnect and unplug was watching Drag Race.”

The queens were equally excited to spent time with Ocasio-Cortez — especially Jackie Cox, who on the runway tearfully gushed, “I do have to say, it is crazy to meet you. Seeing you working in Congress in solidarity with Congresswoman Tlaib and Congresswoman Omar gives me so much hope for our country. My mom immigrated from Iran, and people would tell her to go home and go back to where she came from. And when I was young, I hid this part of my heritage for so long. She is an American citizen now, and seeing you standing up for people like my mom gives me so much hope.”

“I’m so thankful that your mother is here and part of our country,” replied a visibly moved Ocasio-Cortez.

Later on Untucked, Jackie opened her heart even more, telling AOC, “You standing up to that man every day… how can we all complain about anything, when you literally stand in the face of what I think is the worst part of our nature as humans? You stand up against him, and you say, ‘No.’”

“But we all do it, in our own way,” Ocasio-Cortez pointed out. “People think Congress and government is all about leading people, but ultimately, a lot of our politics is about following the public will. And the people who change what people think are artists — and drag queens! And let’s not forget who threw that first brick at Stonewall. … It starts with you. I mean, you are patriots. I’m so proud of you all.”
AOC was seen lip-syncing to the old Madonna song "Burning Up", but her favorite is "True Blue". The contestants did several Madonna looks, like "Lucky Star", the "Like a Virgin" wedding gown, "True Blue", "Blond Ambition", "Erotica", "Ray of Light", and the present day.

StreetVendorProject on Twitter: "Street vending is a crucial part of economy & culture in Corona, Queens. In times like these, when critical information is being shared primarily online and in English, street vendors continue to play an essential role in ensuring information reaches the most impacted communities https://t.co/l0I0H0HqBd" / Twitter

StreetVendorProject on Twitter: "Doña Sabina on Junction & Roosevelt adapted so she can continue providing working neighbors w fresh produce while maintaining social distancing. She speaks w each customer about the PAUSE order & shares health and safety info. SVP provided her w cones, masks, caution tape & signs" / Twitter

StreetVendorProject on Twitter: "Most NYC street vendors are excluded from federal stimulus relief DESPITE the fact that they pay taxes w ITIN.
👉 Pledge your stimulus check to support NYC's immigrant street vendors: [url]https://t.co/QfqxwbcbYa
#MutualAid" / Twitter[/url]

Then AOC:

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Corona, Queens is the most heavily COVID-impacted zip code in America. I can tell you 1st hand that many ppl are too scared to go to the hospital & continue to work bc of Trump’s xenophobic COVID response.
In that uncertainty, street vendors are stepping up and saving lives ⬇️ https://t.co/nYkjhwXcPI" / Twitter

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "How is Trump’s response xenophobic?
- Targets Asian community in his rhetoric & TV ads, incl ads depicting Asian Americans as Chinese officials
- Late, little, or no translation of public health mandates into multiple languages
- Booting ITIN immigrant taxpayers from CARES relief" / Twitter

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "
- Enacting the public charge rule (punishes immigrants for seeking medical attn, food assistance) despite knowing that COVID was on a trajectory to become a widespread public health crisis
- Allowing ICE to continue moving children into NYC & facilities with confirmed COVID cases" / Twitter

Asian Americans as Chinese officials??? I haven't heard of that one. But I know of a lot of scapegoating of eastern Asians as somehow sharing in guilt for the virus.

Babylon-AOCwheeloppression.jpg

Back
Top Bottom