• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

And now the totally expected Trans Bathroom laws result

Then why are you posting in this thread? Genuinely curious.

Why do IIDB members post on IIDB if they don't match the dominant ideological group?

Yeah.
Good question. I don't post here all that much any more, if that helps you understand.
Tom
Not my question.

You wrote the following:

Your correct, I didn't read an article about a minor dustup in an Ohio campground. I don't really care enough.

So, if you did t read the article ( in the ZOP) and you ‘really don’t care that much,’ why are you posting in this thread. I am genuinely curious.

Everything I posted comes from sources.

I mentioned no sources in my response, so what are you making up now?

Do you have sources that aren't Ruiz?
Tom
Both sources I linked have statements from the sheriff and from the official report. You could have read the links but that would mean you could persist in your preferred ignorance.

I don't click on links where Tucker Carlson explains Trump either.
Tom

Everything I posted comes from sources.

I mentioned no sources in my response, so what are you making up now?

Do you have sources that aren't Ruiz?
Tom
Both sources I linked have statements from the sheriff and from the official report. You could have read the links but that would mean you could persist in your preferred ignorance.

I don't click on links where Tucker Carlson explains Trump either.
Tom
You asked for sources and then blithely dismiss them without reading them. Got it. The only reliable source to you is your ass.

Drunk, sure, but to the point of warranting arrest? The police keep siding with the right wing morons.

How do you know how drunk he was?
Even his mom agreed that he got arrested for being drunk and disorderly.
What "right wing morons" are you referring to? What makes you think that the police were "siding" with anyone in particular?
Tom
Saying he was arrested for drunk and disorderly isn't the same thing as saying he was drunk and disorderly.

And the right wing morons I'm talking about keep showing up in the news. Plenty of cases of the police ignoring the right wing thugs at protests.

You keep bringing up that Ruiz was drunk and disorderly. We don’t know that for sure.
Did any of your sources mention this?
Tom
If you bothered to read the links, you’d know the answer to your question.

I clicked the first link where Ms Ruiz said that her son Noah was drinking and that is why he was arrested.
Tom
See that wasn’t so hard.

But since we don’t know all the facts, and since Mr Ruiz was charged not with drunkenness, why do you believe his mother about this but not her other claims?

since we don’t know all the facts,
See, this wasn't so hard.

I've pointed out, over and over, that nobody on IIDB has many facts at all. Therefore making judgement calls and attributing motives to people is not particularly rational or useful.
Tom

since we don’t know all the facts,
See, this wasn't so hard.

I've pointed out, over and over, that nobody on IIDB has many facts at all. Therefore making judgement calls and attributing motives to people is not particularly rational or useful.
Tom
Except when you do it .

Your clipping out almost the entire response does change its meaning. At best, it is a disingenuous technique. Moreover, it glosses over the fact you evaded answering a question.

While this situation is grave, I'm particularly concerned about the situation in Afghanistan, where women's basic rights to education and personal safety are being denied on a systemic and societal level. That's not to say the restroom issue isn't important, but rather that the situation in Afghanistan impacts women's lives in an extreme and pervasive way. What can we, as a society, do to ensure women feel safe and respected in all circumstances? How can we support individuals who identify as transgender in local and global communities while also advocating for women's rights and safety locally & globally? What steps can we take to address these different but related issues?

Women's & Transgender's safety issues manifest themselves in many ways however despite the details of each case being different the issues with safety are similar.

• Violence: Women and transgender people are more likely to be victims of violence, including sexual assault, domestic violence, and hate crimes.
  • Harassment: Women and transgender people are more likely to experience harassment, including verbal abuse, stalking, and physical threats.
  • Discrimination: Women and transgender people are more likely to be discriminated against in employment, housing, and healthcare

I propose considering contributions, be they of your time or finances, to organizations with a proven track record of creating meaningful change. While this isn't the sole method of lending aid, it is a remarkably effective approach to changing attitudes, enacting laws, and providing resources. Significantly more impactful than a Gospel is blaming women crusade. :cautious:

I keep forgetting that this is a boys club.
What, precisely, are you referring to as a boys club? IIDB?
Tom
Well, frankly yes. That doesn't mean that all of you men always agree on everything. Nor does it imply some monobloc behavior.

But the reality is that women are significantly underrepresented here - we always have been. Right now I think there's at best a dozen female posters on IIDB. I'm not sure it's even that many. I can list... me, Toni, Rhea, Sohy, Athena, Old Woman in Purple, and RavenSky? That's seven. I'm sure I'm missing a couple, but I think that's probably the majority of active female posters here.

So yeah. Even if it's not intentionally, it's still a boys club.

Tom
Well, frankly yes. That doesn't mean that all of you men always agree on everything. Nor does it imply some monobloc behavior.

But the reality is that women are significantly underrepresented here - we always have been. Right now I think there's at best a dozen female posters on IIDB. I'm not sure it's even that many. I can list... me, Toni, Rhea, Sohy, Athena, Old Woman in Purple, and RavenSky? That's seven. I'm sure I'm missing a couple, but I think that's probably the majority of active female posters here.

Underrepresented in what way, exactly?
Tom

Tom

Underrepresented in what way, exactly?
Tom
Emily explained it quite well, in a very simple, straightforward manner.

No one can understand it for you.

Emily explained it quite well, in a very simple, straightforward manner.

No one can understand it for you.
You might explain why you think IIDB is a "boys club". I don't see it.

A "Woke echo chamber". "A "leftist ideological bubble". I'd go along with those. The rules change depending on your opinions.

But "boys club"? Bullshit.
Tom

ETA ~There are more TERFs on IIDB than conservatives. Boys club my butt.~

Back
Top Bottom