• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Animals roaming free

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that's a pretty standard snapping turtle shell. It's the way it is.

But he's got a dent in his back. :(

This photo I took of a different snapper in a different pond has a similar dent. Googling up photos of the Common Snapping turtle, the dent is fairly common. It looks to me that their ridges fade as they get older.

Swans on the farthest end of the pond. 1200 feet from where I'm taking the photo.

Best photos of a sitting still red-tail Hawk that I have so far.

I envy you that camera and steady hand. There were lorikeets 20 metres away near my back door but I didn't bother going for the camera knowing the result would be woeful.

Loved your hawk but Looooved the light in the leaves.

PS. This may not be what gmbteach was talking about, but I thought there was a square looking, unnatural sort of dent in that shell, as if someone had hit it with a metal object 2mm x 12mm.

I envy you that camera and steady hand. There were lorikeets 20 metres away near my back door but I didn't bother going for the camera knowing the result would be woeful.

PS. This may not be what gmbteach was talking about, but I thought there was a square looking, unnatural sort of dent in that shell, as if someone had hit it with a metal object 2mm x 12mm.

exactly. :D

The camera is the Canon Powershot SX50. it has ridiculous 100x zoom and amazing image stabilizing. Only about $400.

I see the rectangle now. I don't know. Teenagers have a reputation for mischief at that pond. The old lady across the street tells me a couple years ago a teenager cut the neck off of a swan for fun. Sick kid. So I don't know. Snappers live a long time. It could be older than I am.

I went for a walk along the coast and the dunes today, with my new camera, and came across a lot of wildlife (and some not so wild).
DSC00020.JPG
Highland cattle
DSC00056.JPG
Koniks
DSC00079.JPG
Young European rabbit
DSC00035.JPG
White Wagtail
DSC00109.JPG
Egyptian goose
DSC00088.JPG
Eurasian coot
DSC00078.JPG
Tufted duck
DSC00071.JPG
Common shelduck
DSC00069.JPG
Great spotted woodpecker
DSC00050.JPG
Great pond snail
DSC00062.JPG
Black-headed gull

And more ... I'm very pleased with the camera :)

Some roaming wildlife in my yard today. I do not get that same crisp focus that you get, crazyfingers! (It might be operator error...)
~
the tree swallow with the yellow belly
~
IMG_1438.JPG

~
Common but fun - Robin
~
IMG_1441.JPG

~
Grackle?
~
IMG_1453.JPG

~
red capped chickadee?
~
IMG_1457.JPG

~
Mourning Dove
~
IMG_1459.JPG

~
Northern Flicker in flight (it was foggy this morning!)
~
IMG_1461.JPG

~
fawn
~
IMG_1469.JPG

Been away for a week. Had to go to the West Coast. Got back red-eye yesterday and have been mooshed in the head. But got a few shots.

The red-bellied woodpecker out back collecting grub for the kids.

I think he's watching me.

Definitely watching me

The mallard chicks know that people mean treats.

Unfortunately I had no treats with me

Someone else is watching me

Love the grubs - caught in the act! Awesome frogs.

Just what we all want to see on a nature walk: Daddly longlegs eating a worm

14372593991_6a1154e211_o.jpg

So my wife gave me a weekend alone at our place in Maine. Friday was more rain than not but sun came out late in the day.

First I went to the harbor.

A cormorant was on the rocks with a gull.

I took a ride down to the Schoodic section of Acadia National Park.

A Black Guillemot in the bay

A greater Yellow Legs by the shore in the rain, taken out of my car window.

Late in the day the sun started to come out and I took a drive to Mud creek that I visit so often.

The Osprey have a nest, again, on top of that power pole in the center of the photo.

Three were flying all over. I spend a good bit of time trying to get Osprey in flight.

There is one that filled my screen. No crop at all.

Several good ones I think

Coming in for a landing

- - - Updated - - -

There were actually three. I think that this is a younger one born last year?

Back at the house, for something like the 4th year in a row the eastern Phoebe's are nesting under the rafters of the front porch. They sure cheeping all day long!

A sinister looking snake. I need to look it up. It was about 3 feet long.

The best day a butterfly on a flower

Back at Schoodic, a yellow warbler

The bird experts tell me that this is either a willow flycatcher or an Alder Flycatcher. They look identical and can only be told apart by their song.

Candada Geese with chicks in a cove

Two herring gulls. The one in the back was making some weird call whenever he put his bill in the air.

A Great Blue Harron in a todal pool fishing

- - - Updated - - -

Same Heron

Common Eider

Today at Eagle Lake, Acadia, a female Common Merganser

And finally a first for me, a male Common Merganser

I always enjoy your wildlife photography. Today I really enjoyed the way that, instead of wrecking the osprey nest, the power company just took steps to protect their infrastructure and left the nest intact.

They have probably learned that it's a lost cause trying to keep Osprey off their poles and far cheaper to put up that protective covering than to fix lines and inspect the poles.

Besides, I hear that the locals would have a fit if the power company messed with that nest. They enjoy seeing them there year after year. I've been photographing them at that pole for 4 years now. It's now part of the community.

Personally, Osprey are my favorite bird. So magnificently beautiful and powerful and yet noble somehow, eating only live fish that it catches by plunging into the water to catch.

And to think that bald eagles have a habit of just stealing the fish after the Osprey did the work of catching it. I'm no fan of bald eagles.

I thought of you when I saw this in the Northern Territory recently.

I'm pretty sure they are made by a type of hawk, unless Ospreys are freshwater birds and all over the world.

PICT1726.jpg

Osprey are a hawk but in a group by themselves and I believe that they range over most of the world. They eat both fresh and salt water fish. Their nests are huge because they use them every year and add on top. They love human made structures as a platform to put the nests on. Those are likely osprey nests if fishing is closeby.

It's that time of year. Feeding the kids is what it's all about.

This is the tree in by back woods. As I mentioned, I can now hear the chicks cheeping up there in the hole at the top of that tall dead tree.

Robins are just as busy it seems.

Even the grackles are working.

On a different theme, that water snake is still by the pond down the street.

Not much this weekend.

Young cotton tails are showing up in my yard. This taken out the dining room window.

Of the 6 mute swan chicks, only one remains :(

It's odd because the mallard chicks are largely doing quite well. I wonder if the swans have the local teenagers to contend with.

New bunch of chicks

I went to the old soccer field today. Saw a white tail deer and some babies but only got this shot.

Things have really quieted down there. All I got was this red wing blackbird. There was a ton of activity in May. Really quiet now.

Back at the swan pond, this young mallard is not yet ready for flight.

It is odd. there are gazillions of mallard chicks and are doing well by the numbers. But the swans have lost 5 of 6 chicks. I mentioned before, I think, that the lady across the street says a teenager killed an adult swan for fun a couple years ago. I wonder... Why would the swan chicks do so poorly but the mallards do fine? Can't be the snapping turtle theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom