• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Animals roaming free

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a shot of that flying tree swallow for you,

IMG_1485.JPG

as well as a barn swallow sitting right next to a tree swallow.

IMG_1486.JPG

And the tree swallow sitting close-by

IMG_1488.JPG

Flying pileated woodpecker

IMG_1496.JPG

These are so cool. They are the size of a crow. Huge.

IMG_1501.JPG

keeping an eye on me

IMG_1509.JPG

searching for a bite...

IMG_1519.JPG

SCORE!!!!!

IMG_1521.JPG

Today was a rodent day all within 40 feet of my basement door.

Suspicious chipmunk

Young cotton tail rabbit.

It thinks it smells something good

Yes! Something good

CHOMP

Now what?

Meanwhile gray squirrel also has something good

Chipmunk is still looking

Pileated woodpeckers sure are big. I've only seen one fly twice. And have only seen them at all 4 times. Very nice you got those shots!

Last edited:
I got my first view of the red bellied woodpecker chick(s) in the dead tree out back. I don't know how many there are. Here is one waiting for a parent to come home.

Love the look on that catbird's face!
Just a bunny and a house finch (I think) today...

IMG_1526.JPG

IMG_1528.JPG

IMG_1532.JPG

(I don't know why those don't show without clicking. I uploaded them same as always, but... !? sorry!)

Last edited:
Not sure what's going on but the red bellied woodpecker's hole has been enlarged.

First my most recent photo of a chick from Friday.

Second, the hole is now much bigger. I don't know if it was attacked or of the adults made it bigger for the kids to fledge. But since I spotted the larger hole yesterday I have seen no activity at the hole.

New baby in the neighborhood. This was taken within 24 hours of birth. Another doe had twins but I haven't gotten a photo yet.

newbaby_zps5a69c944.jpg

Nothing much the last few days in terms of photos. I saw a great blue heron in a field at the Portland, OR airport of all places... not even a puddle in the field. The usual raptors and vultures and crows up high.

I got home at 8am today and didn't really get out with the camera. I had to take my 11 year old to the Dr as he had an unpopped popcorn kernel stuck in his nose...

We are hoping to get up to Maine from the 3rd through the following week so scrambling to get ready.

I went and visited my folks today and took my dad shopping as mum is having trouble walking. Dad kept running away from me in the supermarket. Does that count :p

Seriously though, my parents feed the birds that come to their front yard each morning. While we were there in the afteroon a sulphur crested cockatoo came to visit, as did a couple of butcher birds. I also saw an ibis come to pick though the leftover seed that landed on the ground.

I didn't have this thread in mind or I would have taken photos. I am visiting them again on Tuesday to take mum to the doctor so will try and get some snaps then.

gmb,

We saw a woman walking in the street yesterday with a cockatoo on her shoulder. For the life of me I couldn't see if was tethered in any way. Then it hopped onto her other shoulder. Never seen that before.

Alex.

gmb,

We saw a woman walking in the street yesterday with a cockatoo on her shoulder. For the life of me I couldn't see if was tethered in any way. Then it hopped onto her other shoulder. Never seen that before.

Alex.

Wow Alex, that would be awesome to see.

The birds that visit my folks actually hop onto their verandah as well, so the birds aren't afraid of my parents. I will definitely try and get photos on Tuesday.

Was able to take a few photos today. Actually I was sitting in the lounge chair in the yard and took these from the chair.

A red-tail hawk. It was actually a bit too large for the frame as I tried to get the photo. Birds in Flight are not easy.

A humming bird in the shadows. Hovering over a twig.

Landed on the twig.

OK! I recognise that she isn't 'roaming free'. We don't actually allow our cats out of the house at all. But I promised a pic of birds, which weren't as cooperative as usual at my parents house today. Instead, I decided to post a pic of the cat we keep indoors so as to protect the wild life.

10422243_289052624599683_4361757189422513861_n.jpg

A few photos after work today in the yard.

This is not a bunny in the fog. It's fog on the lens. Going from my nice AC house out into a very warm humid day, it took 5 minutes for the camera to be useful.

The humming bird is back on the same twig today. Same time of day. I'm guessing a nest close-by.

Humming bird has tiny feet too.

I believe that this is a juvenile Robin

Perhaps it's parent in the same tree

I saw a robin chasing a squirrel today. First, it was two robins dive-bombing a running squirrel. When the squirrel went up a tree, one robin flew up from branch to branch to wherever the squirrel was. I couldn't tell if it was fighting or playing, but looked like play. Do birds and squirrels play together? Maybe the squirrel stole some seeds from the birds or something. It was fun to watch it unfold whatever it was.

Squirrels will steal eggs from nests. My guess is the robin driving it away from a nest. Robins have up to three broods each year so it's not too late for them to still be nesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom