• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Animals roaming free

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok this animal is not free, and this is not from where I live (but this is too cool not to share

Using bait to catch birds
1430758630_killer_whale_uses_bait_to_hunt_bird.gif

Combination of crappy weather and real life I have not posted in a while. Here are some from the last few weeks.

The Cottontail still visits the yard.

There were a pack of goldfinches at the town lake. I'd guess 6-8. Here are a few.

Mr. Toad. Not sure if it's the same who no longer visits the hole in the wall. The umbrella handle provides some scale.

Possibly a different Mr. Toad has a divot under the rhododendrons that it sits in.

Blue Jay. Lots of blue jays around. They rarely sit out in the open or sit too long. Difficult birds to photograph.

Turkey Vulture at the soccer field today.

I have never seen so many wood ducks. At the pond by the soccer field there were at least 30, maybe 40. Over twenty in these two photos.

A couple of Canada Geese. Eyeing me while wishing for a snooze.

Using bait to catch birds
1430758630_killer_whale_uses_bait_to_hunt_bird.gif

That's interesting! The birds appear to be Egrets. Perhaps the snowy Egret. But an Egret anyway. They hunt fish and other water critters. Interesting they were so curious in something so huge! Too bad for the youngster.

I made it to the state park today. Not a bad day out. The wildlife is picking up.

A great blue and some mallards at a great distance away.

A Killdeer on some mud

There were several Eastern Phoebe's swooping down on bugs over the mud. Here's one that landed on a small bush in the mud.

Turtles

Birds in Flight are hard but this Blue Jay was going back and forth across a field so I gave it a try.

Not up on my fish. No idea what it is except that it's not a sunfush. It was probably 4-5 inches long.

Chipmunk

More turtles

I think that this is lesser yellowlegs.

I believe this is a Solitary Sandpiper.

Lifer today. Male and Female Rusty Blackbird

Male Rusty Blackbird

Female

I made it out again today to the bud flat. Same birds as yesterday except for one new lifer for me. An American Pipit. On migration. I'll need to get to the mud flats as much as I can this fall. Two new lifers in two days at that spot.

From a few days ago, house finches enjoying my cedar tree.

American Robins also enjoying my cedar tree. There have been great numbers of robins about.

Today the rock pigeons were flocking and flying about back and forth by a pond.

After watching them for around 10 minutes just going back and forth a hawk showed up. The pigeons flew higher and closed into a tight flock and eventually left. Here is a photo up higher and tighter formation. The hawk is the bird flying out of sync.

Two turtles on a rock even though it was quite chilly today. I think that they are red-eared sliders.

At the state park this appears to be a river otter. There were two. I was not able to get much of a good shot. This was the best.

Just missed..

At the swan pond the news is that a new male has moved in and taken over the female from the older male. I can't tell one from the other but the old lady who has been watching for years says the new male has chased the old male away.

Here is the old male. He's afraid to go near the pond. It says in the old lady's yard where she feeds him.

A Feast For Cats

Chef Pearl's fresh organic Northern Red-backed vole.

I only got out for a short bit today. A hike to the other side of the Swan Pond. I don't go here often because there are no real trails to get to the water and views of the water are few. There is really only one spot.

Lots of critters out there.
Not worth posting were all the Canada Geese. There was a cormorant. Tons of mallards.

Of more interest were the wood ducks. It was hard getting even this shot.

I accidentally spooked them and off they flew.

One went by for a pretty good shot.

I saw only one American Coot

A Bufflehead

There were at least 100 ring neck ducks. All so far from shore.

Back on the other side, the old male Mute swan is still living in the old woman's yard, afraid to go to the pond.

That's blown the "swans mate for life" theory.

I take my little tyke to feed the geese at the drainage catchment in a nearby town.

One duck has 9 ducklings, pretty new hatched. Another had 5, maybe a week old.

No photos. Just imagine the cuteness. :)

A couple of visitors to my feeders:

A Pine Grosbeak

and a Hairy Woodpecker

Last edited:
It's been a while for me. Combo of not getting out much and not a lot of interesting critters.

From several weeks ago a Chipmunk.

Wood frog

Downy woodpecker loves to pound on this dead flower stock. I don't know if there are bugs or he just likes to make the seed pods rattle. He has no interest in the seeds that fall.

Yesterday at the state park, some mallards.

Mallards an some American Black Ducks

American Black Ducks

Ring neck ducks

Dragonflies are still out

Ring Bill Gull

And the Junkos have returned for the season.

While I've been out in the woods and at the park several time that activity has been really low. I've not had a lot of good photos so far this fall.

Nov 13 a regular old crow at the swan pond.

Nov 21, A northern cardinal at the old soccer field.

Nov 21, some Buffleheads at the swan pond.

A chickadee looking for seeds in a gone to seed plant fluff

Today at the state park I heard a ruckis of crows so zoomed in across the field. At 650 feet away a crow and a red-tail hawk. There was a second crow out of of view.

They flew off.

They were in the tree in the center across the field.

Back home the feeder is back in action.
A goldfinch

Female House sparrow.

Nuthatch

I feel pretty chuffed right now. Wheeling a barrow of firewood to the shed and saw an echidna in the driveway. Tiptoed in to get my camera.

Notoriously shy, this little guy came up to check out my boots. I don't know if the film will work, but I'll try.smaller friendly echidna.jpg

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/pDt1OeOPS0Y[/YOUTUBE]

Wow. Echidnae are meant to be shy - had you been stomping on ants or something?

Is echidnae the correct plural form of echidna, and if not, why not? (Firefox spell check is no help, it thinks that the singular form is a mis-spelling of 'enchilada'. :rolleyes: )

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/pDt1OeOPS0Y[/YOUTUBE]

Wow. Echidnae are meant to be shy - had you been stomping on ants or something?

Is echidnae the correct plural form of echidna, and if not, why not? (Firefox spell check is no help, it thinks that the singular form is a mis-spelling of 'enchilada'. :rolleyes: )

Echidna is originally Greek, but came to English through Latin. I think the Greek plural is echidnas, while the Latin plural is echidnae. Personally, I'd go with echidnas, but because of the transmission through Latin I think echidnae is technically correct too. English is a choose-your-own-adventure language!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom