• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Another cop "fears for his life" - Officer Michael Slager Shooting Unarmed Black Man In The Back

Everyone seems to have forgotten that the victim was trying to do a runner! Put yourself in the cop's shoes, what would you do?

Everyone seems to have forgotten that the victim was trying to do a runner! Put yourself in the cop's shoes, what would you do?

No one's forgetting that. That's exactly the point actually. When an opponent is attacking you, you're justified to use lethal force to prevent harm to yourself. An opponent that's running away is the most clearcut possible case of an opponent that's not attacking you.

Give chase. Call for back-up. Heck, the cop had his driver's license and vehicle. The cop could had simply strolled over to Scott's house later that day and arrested him.

Are you seriously suggesting that Slager had no other choices except to shoot Scott in the back and kill him?

Seriously? You think running = execution?

What I would do is have deep in my psyche that I would rather a perp sometimes get away than execute a person whose crime I did not even know.

What would I do first before executing such a person?
Call for back-up,
radio in a description,
return to the squad car and secure the vehicle for evidence and fingerprinting,
dance a jig. I'd even rather dance a jig while making parakeet sounds than execute a man whose name I did not even know, whose crime I did not know, whose only symptom is running from me... running from a cop who he obviously has every reason to think might shoot him dead.

There is no indication that the man is a danger to other people, so being in this officer's shoes, I'd call for back up to help in securing the guy. After all, they have his car and license... so they know where he lives.

But chasing is hard! Being a racist and shooting people is easy!

This is still hot with the media. I do not hear a lot from Al Sharpton. He must be busy.

But chasing is hard! Being a racist and shooting people is easy!
What evidence do you have that the officer in this case is "a racist"?
Derec is right. There is no evidence out yet to suggest this officer criminally killed the suspect because of race. And I agree with Derec's earlier sentiment that this killing was a crime and the officer should be held accountable.

- - - Updated - - -

This is still hot with the media. I do not hear a lot from Al Sharpton. He must be busy.
The case must not be flimsy enough for him like Ferguson or Tawana Brawley were.
Tawana Brawley? What? Lindbergh baby too old enough of a reference for you?

- - - Updated - - -

There is the minor issue of this seeing Due Process working out. In Ferguson, there was no indication the local Police Department was going to take the shooting seriously.

I wondered that, myself, how the video taker survived. Everything about this shoot was bad. And the most fucked up part is that there was already another cop, a black cop, on scene when the taser got planted who probably saw it done, didn't speak up, and will get away with it Scot free.

The problem is that in the US men in uniform are above the law, they have a different set of rules. In my country it's the people who work at Social Security hospitals who are above law/moral-responsibility: they can give nitrogen gas to a patient instead of oxygen (true story) without any sort of legal responsibility. Most nurses and doctors are not that stupid (well... hope never dies), but you can imagine the state of Social Security treatment we have.

If police are above consequences like the rest of citizens, this will not stop, no matter how much CNN covers it. Exmption and immunity creates all the unfairness you see in the news --and it's not through lack of news coverage.

You are wrong. Al Sharpton was in fact invited by Walter Scott's family to attend and preach at a memorial service yesterday. There is even a photograph of him speaking at the event.

13charleston-web-master675.jpg

He was not invited to the funeral because the funeral was for family only - it was specifically closed to all media and public figures. He has also not been invited to act as a public advocate for justice for Walter Scott because, so far, Scott's family feels that the North Charleston officials are acting appropriately to the video evidence.

Why are you pissed off about this?

Everyone knows that broken taillight policing is racist. Officers stop cars driven by blacks more often than whites, deliberately. This leads to a greater number of confrontations, and thus, more violence.

Racist policy leads to murder = Racist murder.

Everyone knows that broken taillight policing is racist. Officers stop cars driven by blacks more often than whites, deliberately. This leads to a greater number of confrontations, and thus, more violence.

Racist policy leads to murder = Racist murder.

But that doesn't mean that the cop himself is a racist. If he's simply following department policy then that policy itself being racist doesn't speak at all to his own motivations.

You are wrong. Al Sharpton was in fact invited by Walter Scott's family to attend and preach at a memorial service yesterday. There is even a photograph of him speaking at the event.

View attachment 2757

He was not invited to the funeral because the funeral was for family only - it was specifically closed to all media and public figures. He has also not been invited to act as a public advocate for justice for Walter Scott because, so far, Scott's family feels that the North Charleston officials are acting appropriately to the video evidence.

What!? You mean when police are held accountable for their actions no raging mobs form up?

That can't be right.

Best part is you don't even need to have a broken taillight to play.

- - - Updated - - -

Because Al Sharpton is uppity.

Back
Top Bottom