• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Another Fucking Mass Shooting At US School

Another local mass shooting. This time in Douglasville (west of Atlanta, past Six Flags).
2 dead, 6 injured in shooting at Douglas County house party
Somebody's sweet 16 party. Apparently the shooter(s) did not go inside, but waiting for the people to come out.
You do realise Derec that posting such stories only re-inforces the need for the US to have less guns, not the same number or more?
Well, some feel it very important to post all black on black gun violence in a thread about school mass shootings.

You do realise Derec that posting such stories only re-inforces the need for the US to have less guns, not the same number or more?
I realize that we need better gun control, yes. I have never argued otherwise.
The problem is that Dems tend to be infatuated with measures like banning so-called "assault weapons" even though only a minuscule fraction of gun crimes is committing using them.
They have not released any info on the weapons used in the Douglasville shooting, but it was most likely handguns.

Well, some feel it very important to post all black on black gun violence
What are you babbling about? Why are you making it about race? Do dead kids only matter when a white guy shoots them? Preferably with an AR15?
At the time of my posting this, identities of the victims (including their skin color) had not been released. The identity (including skin color) of the shooter(s) is still not known.
If you know something more, please kindly contact Douglas County Sherriff's Office. There is a reward.
in a thread about school mass shootings.
It was a mass shooting where school-age teenagers were shot and some killed. Do dead and wounded kids only matter if they are shot on school property? That's pretty bizarre mass shooting gatekeeping.

I realize that we need better gun control, yes. I have never argued otherwise.
The problem is that Dems tend to be infatuated with measures like banning so-called "assault weapons" even though only a minuscule fraction of gun crimes is committing using them.
Infatuated? The idea of ever limiting access to simple handguns is more fantasy than Narnia. So we gave up a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago thinking that problem could never be dealt with. So we tried to deal with guns that killed large numbers of people in quick succession, including after the murder of a dozen or so Elementary School aged children in Connecticut.

That didn't go far either... but really it seems our only hope. And we aren't all too hopeful, resigned to the next mass school shooting that will inevitably occur.

So, it has nothing to do with being "infatuated", it has everything to do with "we recognize there ain't no chance in hell" to manage hand guns.

A Michigan appeals court is deciding whether to bring charges against the parents of accused school shooter Ethan Crumbley.

It would be a first-of-its-kind case that could set a precedent when it comes to holding parents responsible for crimes committed by their child.

"What things did they do or not do that led to these events, the judge asked in a hearing Wednesday.

James and Jennifer Crumbley are charged with four counts each of involuntary manslaughter. Prosecutors say gross negligence makes them at least partially responsible for their son's November 2021 rampage, when he killed four classmates and injured seven others, including a teacher.

"What is the precedent we are going to set here? There are a lot of families with kids who are not as stable as the parents would like them to be," Judge Michael Riordan, with the Michigan Court of Appeals.

A Michigan appeals court is deciding whether to bring charges against the parents of accused school shooter Ethan Crumbley.

It would be a first-of-its-kind case that could set a precedent when it comes to holding parents responsible for crimes committed by their child.

"What things did they do or not do that led to these events, the judge asked in a hearing Wednesday.

James and Jennifer Crumbley are charged with four counts each of involuntary manslaughter. Prosecutors say gross negligence makes them at least partially responsible for their son's November 2021 rampage, when he killed four classmates and injured seven others, including a teacher.

"What is the precedent we are going to set here? There are a lot of families with kids who are not as stable as the parents would like them to be," Judge Michael Riordan, with the Michigan Court of Appeals.
Also:

article said:
The Crumbley's attorneys admitted the parents made "tremendously bad decisions", but argue they and the school believed Ethan was only a threat to himself. They argue pursuing these charges would set a dangerous precedent, holding parents responsible for any crime committed by a child.

So, their defense is “when we bought him the gun we thought he was only going to kill himself”??

New report on Uvalde mass shooting exposes why law enforcement sat on their hands for over an hour

he Texas Tribune reports that very early on in law enforcement’s engagement with the Uvalde shooter, they were warning one another that he was in possession of “an AR.” In an interview with investigators after the mass murder, Uvalde Police Department Sgt. Donald Page said that once they realized the suspect was handling an AR rifle, “We had no choice but to wait and try to get something that had better coverage where we could actually stand up to him.”

“We weren’t equipped to make entry into that room without several casualties,” Uvalde Police Department Detective Louis Landry said in a separate investigative interview. He added, “Once we found out it was a rifle he was using, it was a different game plan we would have had to come up with. It wasn’t just going in guns blazing, the Old West style, and take him out.”

It is clear that even if police had been able to quickly stop the shooter upon arriving on the scene, the casualties at Uvalde would have been almost as high as they ended up being. A large part of that is the fact that the shooter carried a weapon that is made to murder things as easily as possible, while also being able to carry it around as easily as possible.

Meanwhile, gun groups continue working to sanitize online information around mass shootings to try and reframe the AR-15’s legality as an issue of personal safety, and not the public health crisis that it is. They are not alone. Many gun fetishists try and take issue with technicalities. Calling an AR an “assault rifle” will send a gun nut off on a big tirade about knowing the differences between the two classifications. But the fact remains: Arguing that there are even worse and more powerful guns than the AR-15 is not the argument you think it is.

I’m guessing that none of the kids inside getting slaughtered were children of the officers who didn’t want to take casualties by going in immediately.

Dailykos? Really? That's a far left blog. Not even a news source.

Reality remains that comparatively very few gun crimes are committed with AR15 or AK47 style rifles. Even among mass shootings, most are committed with handguns.

Reality remains that comparatively very few gun crimes are committed with AR15 or AK47 style rifles. Even among mass shootings, most are committed with handguns.
I wonder if knowing that having an AR15 will make it more likely that police won’t interfere will change that fact,

I wonder if knowing that having an AR15 will make it more likely that police won’t interfere will change that fact,
Sure. But it’s just like tax cheats - it only pays to go after the low budget mass murderers.

I’m guessing that none of the kids inside getting slaughtered were children of the officers who didn’t want to take casualties by going in immediately.
Yeah, taking risks to protect those who can't protect themselves is pretty much the job description. They decided not to do the job they were being paid to do, because it's hard.

That's not acceptable. Firefighters don't get to refuse to enter burning buildings. Cops don't get to refuse to confront active shooters, for exactly the same reasons.

If you are too scared to do the job, don't apply for it in the first place.

Furthermore, there were several cops and only one shooter at Uvalde. I remember doing a lot of playing of first-person shooters, and while they have plenty of unrealistic features, they seem realistic about doing urban warfare. I remember doing things like hiding behind corners and door frames and the like, and peeking every now and then. Furthermore, with firearms, it isn't the biggest one winning, it's whoever hits first winning.

Furthermore, there were several cops and only one shooter at Uvalde. I remember doing a lot of playing of first-person shooters, and while they have plenty of unrealistic features, they seem realistic about doing urban warfare. I remember doing things like hiding behind corners and door frames and the like, and peeking every now and then. Furthermore, with firearms, it isn't the biggest one winning, it's whoever hits first winning.
The basic problem is one of going through a funnel. Think you can get through a door that someone is covering without being hit?

The basic problem is one of going through a funnel. Think you can get through a door that someone is covering without being hit?
One person can cover one entrance. That's a problem if the active shooter is in a bank vault or a bunker. Or if there are lots of active shooters. Not if he's outnumbered by cops and trying to cover every entry point to a school classroom - assuming US schools have windows as well as doors.

You don't need to be able to climb in through a window in order to shoot someone through it. It's not even a risky shot, if he's busy staring at the door.

One person can cover one entrance. That's a problem if the active shooter is in a bank vault or a bunker. Or if there are lots of active shooters. Not if he's outnumbered by cops and trying to cover every entry point to a school classroom - assuming US schools have windows as well as doors.

You don't need to be able to climb in through a window in order to shoot someone through it. It's not even a risky shot, if he's busy staring at the door.
Yes. N windows plus 1 door. Ulvade had P cops where P> N+1. S=Shooter = 1.
Someone keeps the shooter busy . At least 2-3 police peer through windows and shoot S. (avoiding children).

Plus as has been mentioned earlier. If you are not prepared to take a bullet for a random stranger then policing is not the career for you.

But of the crimes killing school children, what is the gun of choice??

I don't know. Uvalde seems like an aberration, not a rule. Handguns do possess some distinct advantages over long guns. They are far easier to conceal and wield in close quarters.

That said, let's say what you say happens. Would you not think that a budding mass shooter who thinks that far ahead would also find a way to get a rifle capable of shooting rounds 5.56x45 or 7.46x39 even if an "assault weapons" ban were reinstated (as Dems desperately want). Either a legal non-assaulty one, or an illegal AR15 or AK47.

Back
Top Bottom