• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Another Fucking Mass Shooting At US School

Cops Didn’t Stop the Uvalde, Texas, School Shooting - "And they might have made it even worse."

Uvalde survivor shares firsthand account of classroom shooting | kens5.com
The boy and four others hid under a table that had a tablecloth over it, which may have shielded them from the shooter's view and saved their lives. The boy shared heartbreaking details about what happened in that room.

“When the cops came, the cop said: 'Yell if you need help!' And one of the persons in my class said 'help.' The guy overheard and he came in and shot her," the boy said. "The cop barged into that classroom. The guy shot at the cop. And the cops started shooting.”

He said that once the shooting stopped, he came out from under the table.

Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 US 748 - Supreme Court 2005 - Google Scholar

Matt Novak on Twitter: "The full video is over 6 minutes long: (link)" / Twitter
noting
Desperate Parents Wait Outside Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas - YouTube
This video make so much more sense now. The cops literally stopped parents from helping their kids.

Every cop in this video could be a hero tonight. Just write a little note and then do what needs to be done. Be a hero for once. You should really do it this time. If you’re a cop and reading this, I believe in you. Do it. It’s your one opportunity at redemption.

Not only did cops with long guns have their tasers out, ready to stop parents from saving their own children, it looks like the cops have one parent pinned to the ground.

You can hear one person yell, "what the fuck are you doing to him? Let him up!"

At least one additional kid died directly because the cops were incompetent.

“When the cops came, the cop said: 'Yell if you need help!' And one of the persons in my class said 'help.' The [shooter] overheard and he came in and shot her," the boy said.

Precisely as many as the cops did, by the sound of it.

One thing I heard in this video only after several viewings was a cop saying "we're taking care of it" and a parent yell back "bullshit, he ain't dead yet!" It makes me wonder how they knew from the parking lot. The Washington Post reports gunfire could still be heard at 12:52 pm

Which brings us to the question of when this video was shot exactly. There's another angle on Facebook from across the street where you see the cops finally let the parent on the ground get up. That video is time stamped and puts the beginning of the top clip at around 12:54 pm

It’s hard to say definitively based on the sound from the video but the parents clearly believe they’re hearing gunfire. They’re saying as much and panicking.

Cops will only do their job when the public stops criticizing them for murdering unarmed people. (LP: or so it seems to some people)

Imagine thinking the solution is “more cops” after all the videos we’ve seen showing dozens of cops doing nothing but harass parents at the scene.

We still don’t even know when the shooter died. It’s all so bizarre.

“Once freed from her cuffs, Ms. Gomez made her distance from the crowd, jumped the school fence, and ran inside to grab her two children. She sprinted out of the school with them.”

The video is even worse than the headline suggests. Cops are cowards.

"Miah got some blood and put it on herself so she could pretend she was dead," said Rivera.

All you need is a good guy with an assault rifle, body armor, & a taser to keep desperate parents away from their children who are being being murdered, while 20 or so other good guys, similarly armed & armored, are tackling & blocking parents for 40 minutes during the slaughter
Texas School Shooting Survivor Played Dead: Aunt – NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Like an opossum. :D

Uvalde Shooter Fired Outside School for 12 Minutes Before Entering - WSJ

Erick Erickson on Twitter: "Democrats are already rejecting calls for more security and single entry points for schools (refusing to concede single points of entry with multiple exits is possible). They only want gun control, which won't pass the Senate. That means they want the issue, not a solution." / Twitter

Jason Whitlock on Twitter: "I'm not defending the actions of the officers. But we've demonized law enforcement to the point that there are far fewer rewards for being a hero, for taking risks. When your culture makes George Floyd the hero, real heroes stand down. Cultural rot has consequences." / Twitter

Ida Bae Wells on Twitter: "@WhitlockJason Helluva take from the king of shitty takes. ..." / Twitter
Helluva take from the king of shitty takes. You can’t simultaneously valorize an entire profession as innately heroic and then justify letting children die because Americans don’t think police should lynch a Black man on national television.

Also, what are the “rewards” for taking risks to DO THE JOB YOU ARE PAID TO DO that have now gone away because people protested a state murder of Black man? What “rewards” did police lose? Unquestioning adulation? Ability to do anything and everything without consequence? WHAT??

Imagine haughtily typing the words “cultural rot has consequences” in the face of 19 babies being slaughtered and somehow believe the cultural rot isn’t you and a society that lets an 18 yo purchase a weapon of war for “personal use.”

Amy Siskind 🏳️‍🌈 on Twitter: "This is just unthinkable: SEVEN police officers were inside the school but did not confront the shooter per @CNN. They waited "about an hour" for a Border Patrol tactical team to arrive. A full hour. Seven armed officers to one 18 year-old. The good guys with the guns?" / Twitter
then
Tiffany Cabán on Twitter: "How many times we gotta keep pointing it out before we abandon failed strategies - Police don’t prevent crime. They don’t interrupt crime. They respond to it. After the fact. And often times, they respond w more violence.
Y’all want to finally try something different or what?" / Twitter

Muted. Argue with yourself. on Twitter: "17/18 year old boys keep going on shooting sprees. That’s a fucking epidemic that needs to be addressed." / Twitter
noting
Gabrielle Perry, MPH on Twitter: "University in California did a comprehensive study of school/mass/spree shooters of all ages & found that the common link between them ALL is a vehement hatred of women (80% had a history of domestic violence). Most killed a female relative/gf/wife immediately prior to the event" / Twitter
then
Gabrielle Perry, MPH on Twitter: "Homeboy killed his grandmama right before he killed them babies and that teacher seems egregious (I didnt even know) but is RIGHT on par with the data on school/mass shooters.
And it’s BEEN studied and reported on. (link)" / Twitter

noting
A Common Trait Among Mass Killers: Hatred Toward Women - The New York Times - "Aug. 10, 2019"
The man who shot nine people to death last weekend in Dayton, Ohio, seethed at female classmates and threatened them with violence.

The man who massacred 49 people in an Orlando nightclub in 2016 beat his wife while she was pregnant, she told authorities.

The man who killed 26 people in a church in Sutherland Springs, Tex., in 2017 had been convicted of domestic violence. His ex-wife said he once told her that he could bury her body where no one would ever find it.

The motivations of men who commit mass shootings are often muddled, complex or unknown. But one common thread that connects many of them — other than access to powerful firearms — is a history of hating women, assaulting wives, girlfriends and female family members, or sharing misogynistic views online, researchers say.

The fact that mass shootings are almost exclusively perpetrated by men is “missing from the national conversation,” said Gov. Gavin Newsom of California on Monday. “Why does it have to be, why is it men, dominantly, always?”
This isn't misandry. It's noting a simple fact. I note that Gov. Newsom is male. Does that make him a self-hater or a gender traitor?

While a possible motive for the gunman who killed 22 people in El Paso has emerged — he posted a racist manifesto online saying the attack was in response to a “Hispanic invasion of Texas” — the authorities are still trying to determine what drove Connor Betts, 24, to murder nine people in Dayton, including his own sister.

Since the killings, people who knew Mr. Betts described a man who was offbeat and awkward; others recalled his dark rages and obsession with guns.

Those rages were frequently directed at female acquaintances. In high school, Mr. Betts made a list threatening violence or sexual violence against its targets, most of whom were girls, classmates have said. His threats were frightening enough that some girls altered their behavior: Try not to attract his attention, but don’t antagonize him, either.

“Most mass shootings are rooted in domestic violence,” Ms. Watts said. “Most mass shooters have a history of domestic or family violence in their background. It’s an important red flag.”
"Inspiration From Incels" - involuntary celibates, men who can't get partners
There was the massacre in 1991, when a man walked into Luby’s Cafeteria in Killeen, Tex., and fatally shot 22 people in what at the time was the worst mass shooting in modern United States history. The gunman had recently written a letter to his neighbors calling women in the area “vipers,” and eyewitnesses said he had passed over men in the cafeteria to shoot women at point blank range.
About online forums that cater to incels,
Ppecial reverence is reserved on these websites for Elliot O. Rodger, who killed six people in 2014 in Isla Vista, Calif., a day after posting a video titled “Elliot Rodger’s Retribution.” In it, he describes himself as being tortured by sexual deprivation and promises to punish women for rejecting him. Men on these sites often refer to him by his initials and joke about “going ER” — or a murderous rampage against “normies,” or non-incels.

Several mass killers have cited Mr. Rodger as an inspiration.

Alek Minassian, who drove a van onto a sidewalk in Toronto in 2018, killing 10 people, had posted a message on Facebook minutes before the attack praising Mr. Rodger. “The Incel rebellion has already begun!” he wrote. “All hail Supreme Gentleman Elliot Rodger!”

And Scott P. Beierle, who last year shot two women to death in a yoga studio in Tallahassee, had also expressed sympathy with Mr. Rodger in online videos in which he railed against women and minorities and told stories of romantic rejection. Mr. Beierle had twice been charged with battery after women accused him of groping them.

Experts say the same patterns that lead to the radicalization of white supremacists and other terrorists can apply to misogynists who turn to mass violence: a lonely, troubled individual who finds a community of like-minded individuals online, and an outlet for their anger.

On mental illness, the most probable method of driving an emotionally unstable person to commit a rampage shooting is to treat that person like an emotionally unstable person that might commit a rampage shooting. The way most people behave toward the mentally ill would only have survival value if we still dealt with the mentally ill by having them stoned to death, and if we're not going to go ahead and commit to that strategy, then we ought to duscourage people from creating self-fulfilling prophecies.

If you're a stalwart "armed citizen" who enters the building looking to "take down" the shooter? You're a fucking idiot.

If you're an LEO with the training and kit to deal with this? You can draw fire and keep the shooter occupied. A teenager with a couple AR 15s is gonna maybe shift his focus from the 4th graders and deal with the cop who is trying to take him down, and being a teenager with a gun, he's not even remotely equipped to face that threat.

And yeah, it sucks for the cop who has to draw the fire, but that's the gig. You might get hit, but you've got a much better chance than little Tammy with her Hello Kitty backpack.
Even an unsuccessful engagement against a mass shooter usually stops the mass shooting.

Consider, for example, the Vegas nut--the first attack on his position was driven off and it was several minutes before they were able to go against him, but despite having driven off the attack and still having both weapons and targets he didn't fire another shot at the concert.
How many did he kill? I forget. I DO remember that it did not happen in the confines of an elementary school filled with school children.

In other words, a completely different situation except that there was a crazed killer determined to kill as many as possible.
Ah, but you see...for the "muh freedoms" crowd there isn't much difference at all.
This shooting is interesting, because it seems to have reawoken some. After Sandy Hook and the NRA's pre-emptive press release, it just started to become a numbing sensation when schools had someone murder a bunch of children. Uvalde seems to have returned the sting.

What makes the sting go back away are arguments about how powerless we are, because the shooter had every right to buy the guns he used to make children die instantly or bleed to death, the teachers possibly dying in full view of what he was doing to their kids. An 18 year old intent on murdering children was gleefully provided the weapons to do so, no questions asked, in the exchange for a small sum of cash. And it was a fucking bargain, 19 children for only $3,000. That is only around $150 a child. Hell, it'll cost around $3,000 to burn the children to ashes.

Instead we hear about scapegoats, and about how the desire to rid our nation of most semi-automatic sales is an attempt to rid the nation of guns. I'm nearly physically sick of the killing and knowing that families have been ripped apart for the rest of their lives because some people think that the 18 year old had every right to buy guns when he intended to murder children.

This shooting is interesting, because it seems to have reawoken some. After Sandy Hook and the NRA's pre-emptive press release, it just started to become a numbing sensation when schools had someone murder a bunch of children. Uvalde seems to have returned the sting.
I disagree.

I was watching an interview with Representative Gonzalez who is another blowhole in big time denial about guns. His spin is mental illness, mental illness, mental illness and how we need to protect the children from mental illness. I suppose if I am so mentally ill that I cannot see the problem with not acknowledging the gun element in these incidents than the good Mr. Gonzalez may be correct.

My bad.

The main argument for guns I've heard repeated is to protect the people from their own government. Meanwhile, these same people vote and put sociopaths in government positions. If Abbott can't see the direct relation between this tragedy & his policy I don't know WTF ever could.

I meant more people on the left. I know this shooting has left me extraordinarily more angry than the last few. The right-wing... they are a bunch of sociopaths.

Police were reluctant to immediately engage with the gunman who spent an hour inside the elementary school in Uvalde, Tex., where he killed 19 children and two adults because “they could’ve been shot,” a lieutenant with the Texas Department of Public Safety said in a CNN interview.

I have no trouble believing that.

The main argument for guns I've heard repeated is to protect the people from their own government.
From people who *adore* the military and the police. What a disconnect. It's like those cop-lovers who attacked the Capitol cops in the Jan-6 insurrection. Not just cop-lovers, but also ex-cops and off-duty cops participated in those attacks.

The irony... the police support the party that helps put these types of weapons into the hands of the people that would kill them while trying to save children from him.

I most certainly can appreciate their position that day. They aren't trained for this, and there has yet to be any GOP led drive to spend the hundreds of millions to train the police 14,000 school districts across America to handle this themselves competently. That said, fuck them and their support for the GOP!

Okay, this is new though.
article said:
When specially equipped federal immigration agents arrived at the elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, on Tuesday, the local police at the scene would not allow them to go after the gunman who had opened fire on students inside the school, according to two officials briefed on the situation.

The agents from Border Patrol and Immigration and Customs Enforcement arrived at some point between 12 and 12:10 p.m., according to the officials — far earlier than previously known. But they did not breach the adjoining classrooms of the school where the gunman had locked himself in until a little before 1 p.m. Members of the federal tactical team killed the gunman.

The officials said that members of the Uvalde Police Department kept the federal agents from going in sooner.
This sounds unjustifiable. More details may explain this, but it doesn't sound particularly competent. It is one thing to be over your head. It is another to be over your head and then not let the pros take over.

My understanding is that 7 police arrived 4 minutes after he had entered the building, but that was some 12 minutes after he had been outside shooting. They did enter at first, 4 went one way and 3 another entrance. 2 of the local police got shot which is why they backed off.

Lauren Caruba on Twitter: "@JessicaValenti There is just no way. All first responders, including police, understand that not everyone dies immediately from traumatic injuries: (link)" / Twitter
noting
Lauren Caruba on Twitter: "Not everyone who is shot dies immediately. In the severest cases, people can bleed out in < 5 minutes. But depending on the injuries, it can take much longer than that. The sooner those kids get medical attention, the more potential for lives to be saved. (link)" / Twitter
noting
Lauren Caruba on Twitter: "As a reporter who has covered multiple mass shootings + trauma medicine: The 1st 30 minutes are *critical* for gunshot victims. It's when damage control resuscitation—addressing bleeding w/ tourniquets, wound packing, meds like TXA, blood transfusions—makes the biggest difference" / Twitter

AFTLOECO on Twitter: "@franifio Literally just admitted at press conference 19 armed officers stood in hallway waiting for backup🤬🤬🤬19 officers!!!" / Twitter

Wes Uber on Twitter: "@franifio This just proves that if cops are scared, they run, they hide, they take cover. They don't engage when afraid. They engage when they feel disrespected. This tragedy continues to prove out that the police system isn't designed to serve or protect." / Twitter

Sawyer Hackett on Twitter: "In 2019, Greg Abbott signed a law that required an ID check to buy:
-NyQuil
-Robitussin
-Mucinex
-Vicks
-Dimetapp
-Delsym
-Theraflu
But in Texas you can buy unlimited AR-15s and ammunition the minute you turn 18." / Twitter

WeaverBee on Twitter: "@SawyerHackett @mehdirhasan Don't forget, you must be 21 years old to buy a pack of cigarettes in virtually every state in the US. 21 years old for a pack of cigarettes!" / Twitter

The assault weapons ban expired in 2004.

Back
Top Bottom