• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Another Fucking Mass Shooting At US School

Gospel

Unify Africa
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic
Yet another school closure around here over a bomb threat. Yesterday a kid in a school parking lot started shooting at cars. Anybody really think it is just about availability of guns?
Anyone can call in a threat. That requires a phone. Actual bombs in schools, extraordinarily rare.
The proposed legislation is not worth the paper it is written on.

Shootings have been way up in Seattle so far this year.
But still historically low. You keep screaming the sky is falling. Meanwhile a bunch of children died in a classroom, and the GOP doesn't want to address it for fear of angering the NRA.

Can we at least stop mass slaughters? Is this really that much to ask?
My point is culture. Our new mayor appears capable. For once a politician who says he is not going to fix violence overnight that has grown over decades. He talks about the root source, socical and economic conditions.

It is not 'historically low'. Certainly not in King county, Seattle, and Washington. Similar reports from elsewhere.

It is not whether a bomb threat to a scj=hol is real or not, it is about the rise in thrats and actual school violence.

If I use your reasoning you are more likely to be killed or injured by a drunk driver than by a mas shooting, therefore mass shootings are not really a problem.

Culture has gotten crude and coarse. It is on TV, in movies, and in music.

I hear it around Seattle on the streets. A tone of violence has crept into speech. Not just the crazies, regular people.

I agree culture is one of the problems. The second amendment is viewed as a right to arm the people against themselves rather than protection from a government that turned towards tyranny. That is definitely a cultural problem.

Gospel

Unify Africa
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic
In the hood it sure does. There is a culture amongst street thugs that when left unaddressed leads directly to crimes. Some people when spoken to at the right time in their lives are capable of escaping that culture and not contributing to the crime rates. Maybe I shouldn't call it culture but it fits the definition. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit: An example of thug culture getting out of hand can be seen in cities with gang crime problems. These gangs have cultures and folks susceptible to joining these gangs are influenced by something I call "street culture" for lack of better terms.

Jarhyn

Wizard
Basic Beliefs
Natural Philosophy, Game Theoretic Ethicist
In the hood it sure does. There is a culture amongst street thugs that when left unaddressed leads directly to crimes. Some people when spoken to at the right time in their lives are capable of escaping that culture and not contributing to the crime rates. Maybe I shouldn't call it culture but it fits the definition. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That is, in fact culture. It is not the culture that Steve is discussing. The culture Steve is discussing is the "global culture" or "media culture", which amounts to violence in video games and sex on TV.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist

Edit: An example of thug culture getting out of hand can be seen in cities with gang crime problems. These gangs have cultures and folks susceptible to joining these gangs are influenced by something I call "street culture" for lack of better terms.
So, how does this impact one city, but not another?

No Robots

Maykkerz
Basic Beliefs
Christian.atheist
I once thought that the United States just had some problems that needed to be fixed. I now see it as a pariah state suffering deep psychosis.

Elixir

Made in America
Basic Beliefs
English is complicated
I once thought that the United States just had some problems that needed to be fixed. I now see it as a pariah state suffering deep psychosis.
You think it’s bad now, just wait until Cheato gets re-installed and decides to invade Canada and force everyone to speak English.

Gospel

Unify Africa
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic

I don't understand the question. When a gang starts a shootout with another gang in West Palm Beach Florida I haven't heard of one of their stray bullets hitting a little girl in Chicago. I recognize that gangs are in operation in multiple cities. I also recognize that gang violence directly impacts the community in which the violence occurs.

TomC

Celestial Highness
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic deist
That is, in fact culture. It is not the culture that Steve is discussing. The culture Steve is discussing is the "global culture" or "media culture", which amounts to violence in video games and sex on TV.

That's not what Steve said.
He was talking specifically about the culture in his home town.

Culture is a complicated word. Two families living next door to each other could have very different cultures.

Steve was talking about the culture, in his experience, of his hometown. While big media tends to level local culture, there's still a big difference between Seattle and Sacramento, much less Mobile and Toledo and Bangor.
Tom

Jarhyn

Wizard
Basic Beliefs

I don't understand the question. When a gang starts a shootout with another gang in West Palm Beach Florida I haven't heard of one of their stray bullets hitting a little girl in Chicago. I recognize that gangs are in operation in multiple cities. I also recognize that gang violence directly impacts the community in which the violence occurs.
The point is, this isn't because GTA5 hit the shelves, and it's not because people are being too liberal, it's because there's a drug war on rather than a culture that treats substance use like a mental health issue and treats mental health issues like public drug use with care and institutional support.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist

If one city has crime dropping, how can another city see crime rising... and the reason is "culture". We look at Seattle, crime was dropping... then it was rising. Culture take on a major change in 2012?

Gospel

Unify Africa
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic

If one city has crime dropping, how can another city see crime rising... and the reason is "culture". We look at Seattle, crime was dropping... then it was rising. Culture take on a major change in 2012?

I dunno, maybe OG Paul in State A is on vacation in Tahiti while OG Clarence in State B is engaged in a war in his city? I have no idea.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist

I dunno, maybe OG Paul in State A is on vacation in Tahiti while OG Clarence in State B is engaged in a war in his city? I have no idea.
Let's look at NYC. Homicides are up 33% since it's low in 2017. But even with that up, it is around 33% lower than in 2000. And the uptick in homicides is very recent. Not quite 33% but felony assaults are likewise up since the low, but down compared to 2000. Rape and robberies are near the bottom going back to 2000... and crime wasn't lower before 2000.

Most of the other major crimes, even if a bit up, still down compared to 2000.

TomC

Celestial Highness
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic deist

It's not too complicated for Florida Man to understand.

Suppose City A has a culture that results in city officials that promise to "rein in cops and provide more taxpayer money to homeless people."
City B has a culture that results in city officials that promise to "empower the cops and restrict taxpayer money to homeless people."

Five years later, which city do you think will have increased crime and homelessness? Which will have less?
Seattle, Washington or Mobile, Alabama?

Oh wait, I meant City A or City B. I shouldn't have mentioned reality.
Tom

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
One of my largest concerns with the problems of rising crime, is the actual lack of rising crime in many cases. It is just assumed to be the case. Then we get a bunch of people tossing out reason(s) for this non-existent increase in crime.

Seattle very well is seeing an across the board increase. Other places, not so much, or not all types of violent crime or property crime.

Suppose City A has a culture that results in city officials that promise to "rein in cops and provide more taxpayer money to homeless people."
City B has a culture that results in city officials that promise to "empower the cops and restrict taxpayer money to homeless people."

Five years later, which city do you think will have increased crime and homelessness? Which will have less?

Tom
This is not well written or cited. Could you toss out a couple links?

Gospel

Unify Africa
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic

Let's look at NYC. Homicides are up 33% since it's low in 2017. But even with that up, it is around 33% lower than in 2000. And the uptick in homicides is very recent. Not quite 33% but felony assaults are likewise up since the low, but down compared to 2000. Rape and robberies are near the bottom going back to 2000... and crime wasn't lower before 2000.

So now we're talking about all crimes? I was talking about Gang violence and the culture they have in the black community. I have no interest in rummaging through crime statistics just to prove said culture exists and has an impact on my community. It's pretty obvious that it does from where I'm standing.

TomC

Celestial Highness
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic deist
So now we're talking about all crimes? I was talking about Gang violence and the culture they have in the black community. I have no interest in rummaging through crime statistics just to prove said culture exists and has an impact on my community. It's pretty obvious that it does from where I'm standing.
This is not well written or cited. Could you toss out a couple links?

Tom

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist

So now we're talking about all crimes?
Generally violent crimes... in a city.
I was talking about Gang violence and the culture they have in the black community.
I'm not certain how gang violence isn't reflected in City crime numbers. Yes, there is gang violence. Right now the question is about increases or decreases in violent crimes.
I have no interest in rummaging through crime statistics just to prove said culture exists and has an impact on my community. It's pretty obvious that it does from where I'm standing.
Yes, statistics can be a bother if someone wants to have a feel for how policies can improve, destabilize conditions on the ground.

Gospel

Unify Africa
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic
Awesome, so how does my lack of grasp on the statistics make what I've said about culture (specifically gang culture) having an impact on crime rates in the hood not true?

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Awesome, so how does my lack of grasp on the statistics make what I've said about culture (specifically gang culture) having an impact on crime rates in the hood not true?
Well, directly to "gang culture" that isn't culture, that is a symptom of poverty.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
If you can't get people to voluntarily secure their guns in a locked cabinet or safe, and you can't make laws to prosecute gun owners who fail to secure their weapons, then you aren't ever going to get people to accept access controls built into the guns themselves.
A big problem with the secure-your-guns measures is that the left always tries to go too far--mandating storage requirements that are simply impossible for many people. Only mandate simple locks--not big gun safes that need to be on solid ground and bolted down. (Something unavailable to anyone not living on the lowest level of their building, or with a crawl space under their floor.)
Gun safes are mandatory in Australia. They do not necessarily need to be bolted down. Everyone of the millions of Australians who have a privately owned, registered firearm stores it one - either at home, at a rifle range or another location. An 8 gun safe with a 2mm thick steel body and 3mm door measuring 360x1500x340mm weighs 55kg, so delivery to upper floors is not a problem. I know because I delivered a dozen or more of them.

In Australia it's a case of no safe storage, no gun. It's a bit like mandatory helmets for motorbike riders; If you claim you can't wear one - say for medical reasons - you can't ride a bike. Works for millions of Australians.

That's acceptable to me--it's enough to keep it from readily developing legs, but not prohibitive. The problem is both sides have ceased to be reasonable about things, basically all proposed gun legislation is unreasonable in one direction or the other. A sane middle ground gets attacked from both sides.

Elixir

Made in America
Basic Beliefs
English is complicated
both sides have ceased to be reasonable about things

No, both sides are quite reasonable, they just have diametrically opposed objectives.

Republicans want to sell more guns, Democrats want to restrict their use, which is detrimental to sales.

There’s nothing complicated here. It’s just that unless it has a positive, or at least a neutral effect on gun sales, Republicans would be cutting themselves off at the knees by supporting any gun control measure. It is a little “unreasonable” on the part of a Democrat, to expect Republicans to starve their cash cow.

Hermit

Cantankerous grump
Tom
steve_band has commented on the influence of the "global culture" or "media culture", which amounts to violence in video games and sex on TV in this post and that one as well as others.

Jarhyn

Wizard
Basic Beliefs
Tom
steve_band has commented on the influence of the "global culture" or "media culture", which amounts to violence in video games and sex on TV in this post, that one as well as others.
Well, and "PrOgReSsIvEs"

bilby

Fair dinkum thinkum
The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist
Tom
steve_band has commented on the influence of the "global culture" or "media culture", which amounts to violence in video games and sex on TV in this post and that one as well as others.

C1165116-C5F8-4867-81A5-114A320F436C.jpeg

steve_bank

Diabetic retinopathy and poor eyesight. Typos ...
Basic Beliefs
secular-skeptic
In the news gun sales are up.

Reporting raises interest in guns?

atrib

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

Tom
Do you really thing think that police empowerment and how the city treats its homeless are the only factors that impact crime?

Copernicus

Industrial Grade Linguist
Basic Beliefs
Atheist humanist

News stories do. Every time there is a hint in the news that assault weapons were used in a mass shooting, the value of assault weapons goes up, because gun fetishists rush out to get their hands on an assault rifle before they are banned forever. Gun manufacturers know when to ramp up production. :rolleyes:

TomC

Celestial Highness
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic deist
Do you really thing think that police empowerment and how the city treats its homeless are the only factors that impact crime?

No.
Which is why I didn't post that.

You might ask yourself, "Why did I so thoroughly misinterpret what TomC posted?"

But I'm not expecting that to happen.
Tom

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist

No.

You might ask yourself, "Why did I so thoroughly misinterpret what TomC posted?"

Tom
As a reminder, it was impossible to figure out what your post meant, forget about what it was intended to mean.

bilby

Fair dinkum thinkum
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist

Tom
It’s bizarre to me just how many people can’t distinguish between solving a problem, and moving the problem elsewhere.

You can reduce homelessness and crime by helping people to avoid or escape homelessness, and by reducing the incentives for people to commit crime by providing for them the things they would otherwise have to steal to survive.

OR, you can allow homelessness and crime to spiral out of control, but build yourself a fortress to live in, and drive anyone who becomes homeless out into the wilderness to become somebody else’s problem. And then you can look around your self imposed prison and congratulate yourself that you improved things (but don’t look outside the walls, it’s scary out there).

It really comes down to whether you want things to be better for everyone, vs wanting things to be better for you, and fuck the rest.

Or to put it more bluntly, to whether or not you are a selfish arsehole.

steve_bank

Basic Beliefs
secular-skeptic

News stories do. Every time there is a hint in the news that assault weapons were used in a mass shooting, the value of assault weapons goes up, because gun fetishists rush out to get their hands on an assault rifle before they are banned forever. Gun manufacturers know when to ramp up production. :rolleyes:
Here in Washington assault rifles and high capacity magazine sales are up in anticipation of coming legislation.

Human nature. Tell us we can't have somthing and we will go out and get it even if we don't need it.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist

Here in Washington assault rifles and high capacity magazine sales are up in anticipation of coming legislation.

Human nature. Tell us we can't have somthing and we will go out and get it even if we don't need it.
Well that and the NRA telling people the Dems are going to stop letting them buy guns, for the last 30 years. Gun purchases seem to track with election schedules.

atrib

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

No.

Tom

OK. So what did you mean when you wrote this?

bilby

Fair dinkum thinkum
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist

No.

Tom

He meant “Preventing crime and homelessness by stopping people from becoming homeless, and reducing the conditions that inspire them to commit crime, is difficult, expensive, and takes a very long time. Let’s not bother with all that effort, when instead we could have all the order and public safety we want, by simply living under the jackboot of a police state”.

He probably didn’t notice that that’s what he meant; But that’s pretty much exactly what he said.

TomC

Celestial Highness
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic deist

No.

Tom

He meant “Preventing crime and homelessness by stopping people from becoming homeless, and reducing the conditions that inspire them to commit crime, is difficult, expensive, and takes a very long time. Let’s not bother with all that effort, when instead we could have all the order and public safety we want, by simply living under the jackboot of a police state”.

He probably didn’t notice that that’s what he meant; But that’s pretty much exactly what he said.

I'm sure you believe that.

Similarly, I'm sure that other people believe that Trump won the 2020 election.

Bless Your Heart.
All of you.
Tom

steve_bank

Basic Beliefs
secular-skeptic
More like a spoiled rich kid prone to throwing tantrums if he can't get his own way.

bilby

Fair dinkum thinkum
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist

No.

Tom

Of course I do; I can read.
And I am sure you believe that your advocacy of a cruel police state is actually promoting a better society.
Bless Your Heart.
All of you.
Tom
If you don’t want people to think you have evil ideas, perhaps you should try not posting things that advocate cruelty on discussion boards.

SLD

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Freethinker
E83FCF13-DF32-494E-A36B-7331C2ED3000.jpeg

You tell yourself it doesn’t happen around here. It’s other parts of the country that this happens. I drive home this evening and there’s a shit load of cops sheriffs and ambulances outside a neighborhood church. Two dead and one injured. About three blocks from my house. Fuck. In a church. Dude just walks in to a “boomer potluck” dinner and starts shooting. I know people who go there and am friends with many of the victims friends. Surprised I don’t know the victims. Pathetic. So many Christians worship guns more than they worship Jesus.

It’s a really sad day here. I’m just stunned. Utterly stunned.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
View attachment 39090

You tell yourself it doesn’t happen around here. It’s other parts of the country that this happens. I drive home this evening and there’s a shit load of cops sheriffs and ambulances outside a neighborhood church. Two dead and one injured. About three blocks from my house. Fuck. In a church. Dude just walks in to a “boomer potluck” dinner and starts shooting. I know people who go there and am friends with many of the victims friends. Surprised I don’t know the victims. Pathetic. So many Christians worship guns more than they worship Jesus.

And today in "Only in America", 2 dead, 1 wounded, this doesn't count as a mass shooting.

SLD

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Freethinker
View attachment 39090

And today in "Only in America", 2 dead, 1 wounded, this doesn't count as a mass shooting.
Since it happened in a church, Foxnews will play it up for sure. But then they’ll find out it was one of them liberal churches and it will be never mind.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist

Bless Your Heart.
All of you.
Tom
You stated something incoherently, it is impossible to understand what you said, what you meant to say, nor any backing to support any potential point. You were asked specifically to elaborate twice. But you didn't, nor did you show any intention to make anything clear. You show absolutely no interest in actually having a discussion.

Twitter might be a better place for you.

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Democratic Socialist Atheist
View attachment 39090

Since it happened in a church, Foxnews will play it up for sure. But then they’ll find out it was one of them liberal churches and it will be never mind.
It's been reported that the shooter is a 71 year old man who occasionally attended services at the church.

Boomers go wild!

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
After Uvalde, ‘Horrified and Heartbroken’ is the New ‘Thoughts and Prayers’ | The Mary Sue
But I guess the inaction shouldn’t surprise us. According to a survey, in 2019 alone, the NRA (National Rifle Association) spent $1.6 million to convince Congress to vote against gun safety laws. Over his time in office, McConnell received $1,249,967 from the NRA, while Blackburn also received a hefty $1,306,130 since being elected.

American politicians have a long history of picking cash from the NRA and staying in office over the lives of the people who elect them. This weekend the NRA is holding a conference where both Texas Governor Greg Abbott and Texas Senator Ted Cruz are attending and billed to speak. A fun fact—the NRA is not allowing guns during a certain portion of the events. Probably because guns are dangerous and white men commit most mass shootings—also known as the NRA’s key audience.

noting
Jason Kirk on Twitter: "Now imagining how much money and time went into the branding meetings where somebody came up with "horrified and heartbroken" after "thoughts and prayers" wore out its welcome" / Twitter

It got responses
Nico on Twitter: "@thejasonkirk The consultant who suggested using alliteration is out there diving into pools of money like Scrooge McDuck" / Twitter
and
Walshmobile on Twitter: "@thejasonkirk I also feel like it's not a coincidence that Sinema has the same message as the republicans" / Twitter
and
Some Guy on Twitter: "@thejasonkirk I guess the same three interns are responsible for all congressional tweeting about mass tragedy because their bosses are off at some donor event and can't be bothered" / Twitter

Kyrsten Sinema on Twitter: "We are horrified and heartbroken by the senseless tragedy unfolding at Robb Elementary School in Texas and grateful to the first responders for acting swiftly. No families should ever have to fear violence in their children's schools." / Twitter

Sen. Marsha Blackburn on Twitter: "Horrified and heartbroken to learn of the significant loss of life in the shooting in Uvalde, Texas. Please join me in lifting their loved ones up in prayer.
Thank you to the local first responders working on the scene." / Twitter

Leader McConnell on Twitter: "Horrified and heartbroken by reports of the disgusting violence directed at innocent schoolkids in Uvalde, Texas. The entire country is praying for the children, families, teachers, and staff and the first responders on the scene." / Twitter

Also from some others, like Sen. John Hoeven. I recall someone posting on Twitter a sizable collection of such H&H tweets, but I didn't keep track of it.

Kyrsten Sinema says 'DC solutions' on guns not 'realistic' - Raw Story - Celebrating 18 Years of Independent Journalism
Republicans allowed the 1994 federal ban on semi-automatic weapons to expire in 2004. A 2019 study found "Mass-shooting fatalities were 70% less likely to occur during the federal ban period."

Senator Sinema appeared to disagree with that study in remarks to reporters late Wednesday morning.

"I asked her if she was willing to set aside the filibuster," Punchbowl News co-founder Jake Sherman reports. "She said she didn’t believe 'that DC solutions are realistic here.'"

The federal assault weapons ban was a "DC solution."

Sinema also told Sherman that "despite the fact that there is always heated rhetoric here in DC, I do think there's an opportunity for us to actually have real conversations and try and do something. I think the conversation across America is very different than it is here."
What meaningless rhetoric.
"People at home all across America are just, they're scared," Sinema added, suggesting that is no reason to make changes to the way the Senate works, or to pass gun control legislation. "They want us to do something."

Sinema committed to no action other than "to start having conversations again with colleagues on both sides of the aisle to determine whether or not there's something we can actually do to help increase safety and protect kids across the country."

The House has already passed multiple bills the Senate could take up and pass -- or at least get Senators on the record.
Rep. Ruben Gallego, a possible primary challenger for KS in 2024, tweeted in response to her H&H tweet
Ruben Gallego on Twitter: "Please just stop.. unless you are willing to break the filibuster to actually pass sensible gun control measures you might as well just say “thoughts and prayers”" / Twitter

I'll look at that tweet again.
Kyrsten Sinema on Twitter: "We are horrified and heartbroken by the senseless tragedy unfolding at Robb Elementary School in Texas and grateful to the first responders for acting swiftly. No families should ever have to fear violence in their children's schools." / Twitter
Except that the cops whined for an hour about how afraid they were of the shooter's weapon.

Even so, KS didn't call for prayer as Sen. MB did, and she didn't even mention that activity, unlike Sen. MMC.

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
(((John Forsyth)))📎🏒🕔 on Twitter: "Trauma surgeons need more than politicians who send thoughts and prayers. Or who feel horrified and heartbroken. (pic link)" / Twitter

Ian Weissman, DO on Twitter: "Trauma Surgeons Detail the Horror of Mass #Shootings in the Wake of Uvalde, and Call for Reforms. (link)" / Twitter
noting
Trauma Surgeons Detail the Horror of Mass Shootings in the Wake of Uvalde and Call for Reforms | Kaiser Health News
When Dr. Roy Guerrero, a pediatrician in Uvalde, Texas, testified before a U.S. House committee Wednesday about gun violence, he told lawmakers about the horror of seeing the bodies of two of the 19 children killed in the Robb Elementary massacre. They were so pulverized, he said, that they could be identified only by their clothing.

In recent years, the medical profession has developed techniques to help save more gunshot victims, such as evacuating patients rapidly. But trauma surgeons interviewed by KHN say that even those improvements can save only a fraction of patients when military-style rifles inflict the injury. Suffering gaping wounds, many victims die at the shooting scene and never make it to a hospital, they said. Those victims who do arrive at trauma centers appear to have more wounds than in years past, according to the surgeons.

Politesse

Lux Aeterna
Basic Beliefs
Jedi Wayseeker
View attachment 39090

It's been reported that the shooter is a 71 year old man who occasionally attended services at the church.

Boomers go wild!
70, and he was also a federal gun dealer with a history of illegal conduct: https://www.al.com/news/2022/06/chu...ned-by-federal-agents-about-missing-guns.html

Jarhyn

Wizard
Basic Beliefs
View attachment 39090

Boomers go wild!
70, and he was also a federal gun dealer with a history of illegal conduct: https://www.al.com/news/2022/06/chu...ned-by-federal-agents-about-missing-guns.html
The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is apparently a good guy with a gun with a blunt object made of wood.

Reactions: SLD
Top Bottom