• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Another Fucking Mass Shooting At US School

Private arms ownership was also considered a given in any rural or frontier town, not necessarily as protection against Indians but as an essential means of obtaining food--and as a defense against some of the more dangerous wildlife.

And they are still felt necessary by some homeowners in rural areas. However, that right has nothing to do with militias.
No one needs an AR or an AK to defend themselves from wildlife.
Some ranchers would disagree with you,

Personally, I’m not fond of guns, although I grew up with hunters in the family and in my younger days, handled my dad’s guns. I chose not to hunt. A number of very close family members have been held up at gun point. Usually in their own homes, two of which were farm houses. One was shot at with his own firearm that he kept for hunting and occasionally reducing the groundhog population in the cow pasture or going after a very persistent fox. None of these were AK or AR but there was no need to be concerned about wolves or even coyotes much less bears.

Private arms ownership was also considered a given in any rural or frontier town, not necessarily as protection against Indians but as an essential means of obtaining food--and as a defense against some of the more dangerous wildlife.

And they are still felt necessary by some homeowners in rural areas. However, that right has nothing to do with militias.
Projectile weapons cannot be used defensively at all.

Unless you’re expecting to be attacked with missiles, and are installing a CIWS.

Protecting yourself against a person with a gun, by pointing your own gun at them, only works in movies.

For that matter, ‘bad guys’ and ‘good guys’ only exist in movies, too.

Hollywood has a lot to answer for.

Somebody with a gun--you either do nothing or you shoot, you don't point. Pointing is for when you're dealing with someone who doesn't have a gun in their hand but is approaching with apparently criminal intent.
I was taught to NEVER —and I mean never to point a gun at anything you did not intend to shoot. Never.

Personally, I’m not fond of guns, although I grew up with hunters in the family and in my younger days, handled my dad’s guns. I chose not to hunt. A number of very close family members have been held up at gun point. Usually in their own homes, two of which were farm houses. One was shot at with his own firearm that he kept for hunting and occasionally reducing the groundhog population in the cow pasture or going after a very persistent fox. None of these were AK or AR but there was no need to be concerned about wolves or even coyotes much less bears.
There is no doubt that a rifle is an important tool in bear country. But that’s a red herring in the gun control debate, as such tools are routinely carried and used in places like Svalbard, Lapland, and Greenland, all of which are jurisdictions with very highly regulated gun ownership.

Preventing Billy-Joe Hooray in Butte-Crack county, GA, from shooting up his high school, need not have any impact at all on the ability of people living in the wilds of Alaska to shoot troublesome bears.

There is no doubt that a rifle is an important tool in bear country. But that’s a red herring in the gun control debate, as such tools are routinely carried and used in places like Svalbard, Lapland, and Greenland, all of which are jurisdictions with very highly regulated gun ownership.

Preventing Billy-Joe Hooray in Butte-Crack county, GA, from shooting up his high school, need not have any impact at all on the ability of people living in the wilds of Alaska to shoot troublesome bears.
Oh, please don’t misunderstand: I am 100% in favor of very heavy regulation of firearms, mandatory licensing and mandatory training g and safety training.

Growing up as I did, I am so much more than appalled at what people today see as ‘gun rights.’

Ever hunted feral hogs?

Ever hunted feral hogs?
No but I imagine a twelve gauge slug would be just as effective against hogs as it is against deer.

Wild Hog Hunts​

Archery, Crossbow, Rifle or Pistol Wild Hog Hunts

If you want an action packed, adrenaline pumping adventure, an archery or gun hog hunt at Hunt Mill Hollow Ranch is just up your alley. We not only have trophy wild boars on the ranch that grow to over 250 pounds, but also a large population of “meat hogs”.

Ever hunted feral hogs?
No but I imagine a twelve gauge slug would be just as effective against hogs as it is against deer.

Wild Hog Hunts​

If you want an action packed, adrenaline pumping adventure, an archery or gun hog hunt at Hunt Mill Hollow Ranch is just up your alley. We not only have trophy wild boars on the ranch that grow to over 250 pounds, but also a large population of “meat hogs”.
I was thinking more along the lines of bear.

Ever hunted feral hogs?

Wild Hog Hunts​

We had a ranch like that east of Akron in a rural county. They closed down. Now we have native invasion (oxymoron?) feral hogs. I wouldn't presume the same gun that takes down a deer works on one of those beasts. The margin of error is quite a bit lower when they get bigger and as far as I know, they don't have any natural predators (being invasive and all) other than Rib Fests.

Ever hunted feral hogs?

Wild Hog Hunts​

You would be wrong. With 200lbs of muscle and razor sharp tusks bearing down on you rapidly, you have very little room for error. These are ferocious beasts that will keep coming at you even with several .228 fmj projectiles stuck in them. You better hit them on the spine or brain if you want to bring them down quickly, and hope the round actually penetrates the hard skin and muscle. Which is why the AR semiauto rifles with expensive sights and a high capacity magazine is often the weapon of choice for culling these populations.

Wild Hog Hunts​

You would be wrong. With 200lbs of muscle and razor sharp tusks bearing down on you rapidly, you have very little room for error. These are ferocious beasts that will keep coming at you even with several .228 fmj projectiles stuck in them. You better hit them on the spine or brain if you want to bring them down quickly, and hope the round actually penetrates the hard skin and muscle. Which is why the AR semiauto rifles with expensive sights and a high capacity magazine is often the weapon of choice for culling these populations.
Yeah, killing those things is no joke!

What was that, three or four shots from a dual barrel shotgun?!

Ever hunted feral hogs?

Wild Hog Hunts​

Against a hog, honestly, I might just prefer a spear.

So many emotions on this.

1a) NRA helped to create situations where the police fear never seeing their children again, and refuse to confront shooter.
1b) Fuck the police that support the GOP and the NRA
2) Uvalde police command committed act of fraud in suggesting their community had a "SWAT" team.
3) How many children were shot in this delay, did any children die from bleeding out or being shot because of the of the delay?
4) Uvalde police command can't fall on their swords fast enough for their failure.

I haven't watched the video, but someone who did saw that one of the cops had a "Punisher" logo lock screen on his phone.

In case you don't know, the character is a comic book vigilante who violently dispatches bad guys and as the comics make clear, he is NOT a hero. A cop with the Punisher logo on his phone while being afraid to take on an active shooter killing innocent children is a perfect encapsulation of how some cops view themselves vs how they really are. Plus this one seems to not grasp the character at all. He's a violent psychopath. Is this cop trying to say he's one, too? Or did he just put it there because it is "badass?"

Anyway, I'm not gonna say "defund" the police here. Sack the entire fucking department and start all over.

Back
Top Bottom