• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Are atheists "Scrooges" by ruining all the fun of religious faith?

If I wanted to seek happiness, then I would abuse illegal drugs and alcohol and solicit prostitutes.
Yikes if those are the things that make you most happy.
I'm surprised that anybody here would disagree with me there.
Well then, for the record: I disagree with almost everything you post.

Glad I could help.
You're a great guy and very bright.

If I wanted to seek happiness, then I would abuse illegal drugs and alcohol and solicit prostitutes.

Glad I could help.
Hence the "almost".

You also posted a remarkably cogent thread about God existing as a "mere idea".

Glad I could help.
Hence the "almost".

You also posted a remarkably cogent thread about God existing as a "mere idea".
See, he didn't even pick up on that fairly obvious nuance.

Now that you beat me up, do you feel really good? You know, do you feel as good as the Grinch when he thought he stole Christmas? I'm guessing that if the Grinch had internet service, then he would log onto his favorite forum to harass, insult, and stalk the Whos.

Last edited:
Now that you beat me up, do you feel really good? You know, do you feel as good as the Grinch when he thought he stole Christmas? I'm guessing that if the Grinch had internet service, then he would log onto his favorite forum to harass, insult, and stalk the Whos.
😭

You felt “beat up” by that innocuous remark? Honestly?

I think it's called having a persecution complex. Sadly, such people don't realize how they come across to others.
Perhaps, US suffers from a persecution complex, which is often associated with a personality disorder, or PTSD, or even other forms of more serious mental disorders. I'm not suggesting that US is seriously mentally ill, but his remarks often appear as if he feels he is being persecuted. Maybe it would be better for him, if we simply ignored his remarks, as we may be inadvertently adding to his problem. It seems that we are feeding his persecution complex. While most of us wouldn't be bothered by disagreements and mild insults, a person with a persecution complex will exaggerate such remarks, adding to their problem.

Per·se·cu·tion com·plex

/ˌpərsəˈkjuʃən ˌkɑmˈplɛks/
noun
  • 1.an irrational and obsessive feeling or fear that one is the object of collective hostility or ill-treatment on the part of others.

Just sayin'. I'm not sure how to help someone with his problem. I don't let what others say to me hurt my feelings, so it's hard to understand reactions to mild insults or disagreements, as being beat up, stalked, threatened with death, etc. I just hope he will get help, if this is the reason he feels so easily attacked by the people on this board.

There is also such a thing as a Christian persecution complex, which I think we see in the US quite frequently these days. If an atheist tells a Christian that here is no afterlife, the atheist is simply being honest, as we see no evidence for life after death, but some conservative Christians will feel persecuted by being told the truth.

Christian persecution complex is the belief, attitude, or world view that Christian values and Christians are being oppressed by social groups and governments in the Western world.[1] This belief is promoted by certain American Protestant churches,[2] and some Christian- or Bible-based groups in Europe.[3] It has been called the "Evangelical",[4] "American Christian"[5] or "Christian right"[6] persecution complex.

Maybe if one is brand new to the internet and online discussion fora I could understand feeling that way, but one needs to have a little bit of a thick skin to tolerate online interactions, especially on an argument discussion board such as this.

Maybe if one is brand new to the internet and online discussion fora I could understand feeling that way, but one needs to have a little bit of a thick skin to tolerate online interactions, especially on an argument discussion board such as this.
Why use this board to go after people who burst your ideological bubble? I see forums as places to discuss important and relevant issues. I don't use them to take cracks at people who disagree with me.

So getting back to the OP, there are Grinches who want to ruin sensible discussion by stealing the fun from those of us who can actually make good arguments for our opinions.

Why use this board to go after people who burst your ideological bubble? I see forums as places to discuss important and relevant issues. I don't use them to take cracks at people who disagree with me.

So getting back to the OP, there are Grinches who want to ruin sensible discussion by stealing the fun from those of us who can actually make good arguments for our opinions.
As before I think you exaggerate with the terms “go after” and “take cracks at”.

There’s plenty of good discussion in this board but there’s little tolerance for bad faith arguments.

And yet that is exactly what you do here. You misrepresent people's statements and ideas, seemingly deliberately, and you characterize people in extremely derogatory ways. Your primary purpose for posting here appears to be to denigrate people unfairly and stir up outrage. And I believe this behavior is deliberate.

As before I think you exaggerate with the terms “go after” and “take cracks at”.
But why do you do it? Is it just getting a charge out of getting away with mischief?
There’s plenty of good discussion in this board...
Sure. Just check any of my threads.
...but there’s little tolerance for bad faith arguments.
If I can't sensibly argue against something, can I excuse my ineptitude by calling it a "bad faith argument"? That sounds like sour grapes to me.

bg,f8f8f8-flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

And yet that is exactly what you do here. You misrepresent people's statements and ideas, seemingly deliberately, and you characterize people in extremely derogatory ways. Your primary purpose for posting here appears to be to denigrate people unfairly and stir up outrage. And I believe this behavior is deliberate.
Oh but you're right, Eric. So let's go back to the OP and discuss the topics I raised there.

But why do you do it? Is it just getting a charge out of getting away with mischief?

Do what exactly? Things like calling someone sour grapes and posting pictures of grapes? Is that the kind of thing you would characterize as “mischief“?

There’s plenty of good discussion in this board...
Sure. Just check any of my threads.

I have seen your threads. As you know.

...but there’s little tolerance for bad faith arguments.
If I can't sensibly argue against something, can I excuse my ineptitude by calling it a "bad faith argument"? That sounds like sour grapes to me.

I don’t know. Are you arguing in bad faith or are you just inept? There are definite examples from you I’ve seen that indicate the former but I am willing to concede that they could be the latter.

Is this the kind of behavior you are railing against or is it just ok when you do it?

And US only answers questions that suit him. That isn't a discussion.

I see forums as places to discuss important and relevant issues. I don't use them to take cracks at people who disagree with me.
Then you need to sue your posting history for slander.

His very long posting history.
I've come to realize that I've known him for over twenty years.
Tom

Back
Top Bottom