• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Are atheists "Scrooges" by ruining all the fun of religious faith?

Jimmy Higgins said:
One key in justice is the criminal must intend to do something they know is illegal.
Aside: Sadly, this is not true in a LOT of cases. Many states, and possibly federal statutes, have what they call "statutory guilt" where you could be actively deceived (ex: a liquor store selling to someone with fake ID) and still be held liable. It usually leads to lower sentencing, but the prosecutors get their 'guilty' verdict, and the person winds up with a record anyway.

So when you see a prosecutor claiming close to 100% conviction rate, this is likely why.

Maybe if one is brand new to the internet and online discussion fora I could understand feeling that way, but one needs to have a little bit of a thick skin to tolerate online interactions, especially on an argument discussion board such as this.
I agree regarding most people, but people who suffer from this type of thing aren't capable of acting rational.
Maybe if one is brand new to the internet and online discussion fora I could understand feeling that way, but one needs to have a little bit of a thick skin to tolerate online interactions, especially on an argument discussion board such as this.
Sure, if one doesn't suffer from some kind of personality disorder that makes them feel persecuted by every tiny disagreement or insult, but some people have emotional problems which make it difficult for them to do that. It appears like we have one of those folks among us. Perhaps that person stays here because he feels the reactions he gets from us, validate his feelings of being persecuted. I don't know if all people who feel persecuted react by projecting their own weaknesses on others, but it does seem t that's what's happening here. Perhaps he is unable to act any other way.

Don't get me wrong. I"m not judging anyone who responds angrily to him, but I always try to understand why a person acts the way they do. There must be a reason why US acts like he does, thinks that we are all out to get him and then projects his own issues on the rest of us, without understanding how he comes across. If we have no absolute free will, then we can't help how we act, can we? :unsure:

Now back to trying to help US understand why people react to him the way they do. :hopelessness:

Perhaps the internet is not a healthy environment for a person like that. Then again that person will likely not realize that.

I have had to change some of my online activities due to a negative mental health impact (exchanges with flat earthers on Facebook) and I know of others who have left social media for similar (primarily political) reasons.

Don't get me wrong. I"m not judging anyone who responds angrily to him, but I always try to understand why a person acts the way they do.
You are probably the nicest, most patient, most decent poster I've ever met on the internet.

And I've met a lot.

Tom
Hey!

Just kidding. SoHy is an amazing human being.

Don't get me wrong. I"m not judging anyone who responds angrily to him, but I always try to understand why a person acts the way they do.
You are probably the nicest, most patient, most decent poster I've ever met on the internet.

And I've met a lot.

Tom

And I've met a lot.

Tom
Hey!

Well, thanks guys. Now you're making my head swell. :giggle:

I love you guys too. :gayhug::huggs: ( even when I don't agree with you Tom, I'm still glad you're here )

And I've met a lot.

Tom

And I've met a lot.

Tom
Hey!

Well, thanks guys. Now you're making my head swell. :giggle:

I love you guys too. :gayhug::huggs: ( even when I don't agree with you Tom, I'm still glad you're here )
SoHy, there are three members on here I have met IRL, and very happy to have done so, and you are one of the ones I would love to meet as well.

I agree regarding most people, but people who suffer from this type of thing aren't capable of acting rational.
Sure, if one doesn't suffer from some kind of personality disorder that makes them feel persecuted by every tiny disagreement or insult, but some people have emotional problems which make it difficult for them to do that. It appears like we have one of those folks among us. Perhaps that person stays here because he feels the reactions he gets from us, validate his feelings of being persecuted. I don't know if all people who feel persecuted react by projecting their own weaknesses on others, but it does seem t that's what's happening here. Perhaps he is unable to act any other way.

Don't get me wrong. I"m not judging anyone who responds angrily to him, but I always try to understand why a person acts the way they do. There must be a reason why US acts like he does, thinks that we are all out to get him and then projects his own issues on the rest of us, without understanding how he comes across. If we have no absolute free will, then we can't help how we act, can we? :unsure:

Now back to trying to help US understand why people react to him the way they do. :hopelessness:
So are atheists scrooges by ruining all the fun of religious faith?

Perhaps the internet is not a healthy environment for a person like that. Then again that person will likely not realize that.

I have had to change some of my online activities due to a negative mental health impact (exchanges with flat earthers on Facebook) and I know of others who have left social media for similar (primarily political) reasons.

And I've met a lot.

Tom

You have not shown that they do “ruin all the fun of religious faith” so it’s not a valid question.

You started the thread with “the stereotypical view of atheists” so you were already on shaky ground.

Then you asked a specific question about yourself and your online poor behavior (self-described “nasty”) towards others.

Now you are generalizing the question to all atheists and all religious fun.

And I've met a lot.

Tom
The answer is obviously, "NO". Perhaps a better question would be, "Do Christians condemn atheists, no matter how nice and kind the atheists are to them?"

My mother, who died earlier this year was an evangelical Christian. I told her when I was 19 that I no longer believed in the Christian mythology, viewing it as similar to Greek mythology. Although she was upset at first, we remained very close friends up until her death. Despite having suffered from Alzheimers for the last 7 years of her life, she still remembered who I was, as one of the last times we did FaceTime together, ( she lived about 1000 miles away from me ), she saw my face, and said, "That's my daughter". She even told my husband about 10 years prior to her death that she no longer believed that people like me were going to hell. I was very happy for her, as she no longer carried the burden of thinking that I was condemned to an eternity of suffering. So, please tell me how I ruined her Christian fun. In fact, she used to complain to me about her Christian friends who were trying to get her to vote for Republicans, when she had always voted for Democrats, believing their values were closer to hers. It seems to me that her Christian friends were ruining her Christian fun, if there is such a thing.

My two closest Christian friends know I'm an atheist. We love each other. One of them refers to me as her sister. The other one told me it doesn't matter what others believe as long as they are good people, who don't judge others.

And I've met a lot.

Tom
The answer is obviously, "NO".
I think that's partly true. Although some atheists might deliberately try to be spoilsports ruining fun for the religious, most atheists probably don't normally try to disappoint delusional religious people.
Perhaps a better question would be, "Do Christians condemn atheists, no matter how nice and kind the atheists are to them?"
Personally, I really don't run into much of that. But yes, some Christians think you're a bad person no matter how good you are. I see such thinking as a result of people adopting-group think for social reasons. In other words, say you believe whatever the group agrees on. That way you have a social advantage being more likely to fit in and have "friends." Under those circumstances hatred and paranoia can result when people outside the group hold outside ideas.
My mother, who died earlier this year was an evangelical Christian.
Sorry to hear that you mother died. :cry: Both of my parents are now deceased, and in a way I feel like an orphan.
I told her when I was 19 that I no longer believed in the Christian mythology, viewing it as similar to Greek mythology. Although she was upset at first, we remained very close friends up until her death. Despite having suffered from Alzheimers for the last 7 years of her life, she still remembered who I was, as one of the last times we did FaceTime together, ( she lived about 1000 miles away from me ), she saw my face, and said, "That's my daughter". She even told my husband about 10 years prior to her death that she no longer believed that people like me were going to hell. I was very happy for her, as she no longer carried the burden of thinking that I was condemned to an eternity of suffering. So, please tell me how I ruined her Christian fun. In fact, she used to complain to me about her Christian friends who were trying to get her to vote for Republicans, when she had always voted for Democrats, believing their values were closer to hers. It seems to me that her Christian friends were ruining her Christian fun, if there is such a thing.
My mother was a very devout Roman Catholic, and she used her religion as a club to hurt people. As she got old, though, she evidently realized she better treat people better or spend the rest of her life alienated from them.
My two closest Christian friends know I'm an atheist. We love each other. One of them refers to me as her sister. The other one told me it doesn't matter what others believe as long as they are good people, who don't judge others.
Yes. That sounds like a good idea. So you really should apologize to me for suggesting that I'm mentally ill. I never spoke to you or spoke about you that way.

you really should apologize to me for suggesting that I'm mentally ill
You really should consider the fact that a diagnosis of mental illness isn't an insult. As such, it doesn't require an apology.

If you sneezed, and someone said "It looks like you might have a cold", would you demand an apology?

If you appear to be unwell, it's reasonable for others to express the concern that you might be unwell.

And I've met a lot.

Tom
I think that's partly true. Although some atheists might deliberately try to be spoilsports ruining fun for the religious, most atheists probably don't normally try to disappoint delusional religious people.
Perhaps a better question would be, "Do Christians condemn atheists, no matter how nice and kind the atheists are to them?"
Personally, I really don't run into much of that. But yes, some Christians think you're a bad person no matter how good you are. I see such thinking as a result of people adopting-group think for social reasons. In other words, say you believe whatever the group agrees on. That way you have a social advantage being more likely to fit in and have "friends." Under those circumstances hatred and paranoia can result when people outside the group hold outside ideas.
Sorry to hear that you mother died. :cry: Both of my parents are now deceased, and in a way I feel like an orphan.
I told her when I was 19 that I no longer believed in the Christian mythology, viewing it as similar to Greek mythology. Although she was upset at first, we remained very close friends up until her death. Despite having suffered from Alzheimers for the last 7 years of her life, she still remembered who I was, as one of the last times we did FaceTime together, ( she lived about 1000 miles away from me ), she saw my face, and said, "That's my daughter". She even told my husband about 10 years prior to her death that she no longer believed that people like me were going to hell. I was very happy for her, as she no longer carried the burden of thinking that I was condemned to an eternity of suffering. So, please tell me how I ruined her Christian fun. In fact, she used to complain to me about her Christian friends who were trying to get her to vote for Republicans, when she had always voted for Democrats, believing their values were closer to hers. It seems to me that her Christian friends were ruining her Christian fun, if there is such a thing.
My mother was a very devout Roman Catholic, and she used her religion as a club to hurt people. As she got old, though, she evidently realized she better treat people better or spend the rest of her life alienated from them.
Yes. That sounds like a good idea. So you really should apologize to me for suggesting that I'm mentally ill. I never spoke to you or spoke about you that way.
Please quote where it was suggested you are mentally ill?

Atheists spoiling the fun of atheists?

That is bass ackwords. Some might but there is no atheist ideology or manifesto that enjoins atheists to make the religious atheists. In contrast Christians feel they have a gospel god given mandate to make everybody Christian.

We see that assumed mandate playing out over gay and abortion rights.

If Christianity was not so set on intruding on everybody else and stayed within their beliefs and rituals I doubt atheists as a whole would care what Christians do.

Modern popes still act as if they the world should do what they say because after all, they are the pope....

And I've met a lot.

Tom
😭

And I've met a lot.

Tom
I don't think what I said about you was insulting. It certainly wasn't meant to be. I have a lot of compassion for people who suffer from emotional problems and while your last post was a more positive one, I do wonder why you felt the need to end it the way you did. I think that most of your past posts were judgmental towards the other posters, and that is why you've received so many negative responses from some of the posters here. I see that bilby just posted what I was thinking too. I didn't insult you. I was concerned about your well being, and didn't want our responses to make things worse.

Based on your posts, it appeared as if you had some type of persecution complex. If this isn't true, then I suggest that you try to be more positive when you post to us instead of jumping to conclusions and judging the atheists here the way you do, or have done. I don't hold grudges, and I'm not asking for an apology from you for the negative assumptions you've made about the posters here.

I'd love to see a more positive attitude from you. This can be a good place to discuss all kinds of things, not just whether or not the religious or atheists are spoiling each other's fun. Sometimes people don't realize that they might have some form of emotional disorder and while it's true I never met you in person, based on your posting history, it appeared as if you had a problem, feeling persecuted and projecting some of your own traits on the rest of us. That is meant as an attempt at constructive criticism, not an attack.

Perhaps if you are serious when you say you enjoy being here, you might gradually post in some of the other areas of this forum, without being defensive if people don't agree with you. Let's see how that goes.

Btw, I live in the heart of the Bible Belt, so it's very common for atheists to be attacked by Christians here. I have a few atheist friends in my age range who refuse to come out of the closet due to the fear of being attacked and judged harshly. But, being open, has also given me the opportunity to meet other atheists, including a nurse I worked with in SC, and a very dear patient of mine in my last job. Sadly, she died a few months after I met her. She died of pnuemonia, so at least she did't suffer for long.

I was verbally attacked by a Christian a few months ago, after she suspected I was an atheist, simply because I told her that I didn't believe in the idea of being "saved", but if it made her family happy to believe such things, that was fine. This came after she told me excitedly that her disabled niece had just become "saved". She and I get along fine now. Hopefully, she realizes that atheists aren't bad people. That has always been my goal, but I could write a long essay about all the times I've been attacked by conservative Christians, and even a couple of moderate Christians for that matter. I try to look at it in a humorous way, because after retiring from a stressful career as a health care professional for 42 years, humor has always been a great coping mechanism for me.

I'll share one of my favorites before I end this wordy post. About 10 years ago, we were at a Christmas/birthday party at my bro in law's home. He's a dentist and he has a lot of wealthy friends. I was chatting with a physician at the party and we were discussing how many parties were going on. He had just come from one, so I mentioned that we had just left an atheist meetup in Atlanta. He literally yelled at me."Why do atheists have to get together", as if we were some kind of evil people who weren't allowed to socialize together. I calmly said something like because we're humans and sometimes we like to meet up with people who we have things in common with....He got really angry and mean, so I told him he was too abrasive to keep talking to and I walked away. A few minutes later his wife came up to me to apologize for her husband's behavior, as she has overheard our conversation. She told me that I needed to understand that her husband was a doctor who had to deal with death. I told her that I was an RN who cared for people who were often at the end of their lives. She didn't know what to say after that, but I admit it gave me a little bit of pleasure to be able to walk away from an arrogant doctor, since nurses are often treated so poorly by some of them. I have a lot more episodes about how a Christian attacked me due to my atheism, but that was an unexpected one, as I used to tend to assume that highly educated people aren't so easily caught up in cult like behavior. I've learned that's not true at all. Atheists are the most hated group of people in the US, so I don't think we're the ones who are ruining anyone's fun. I'm open about my atheism to help people understand that we aren't any different from other people. We just believe in one less god than they do.

Don't worry Soldier, Jesus loves and forgives you. Al that ypu you have to do is believe.

Back
Top Bottom