• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Are MAGA morons actually brainwashed?

I don't think that Trump is the head of the cult if indeed it rises to the standard to be a cult. The Republicans nominated and elected a victim of the near cult to the presidency.

It was so easy in the beginning. Conservatives depend on lies to justify their belief that the status quo and the traditions that they hold so dear aren't responsible for most of our social problems when obviously they are. This need for a constant stream of lies and conspiracy theories resulted in their being suspectable to propaganda and it also means that they were ignored by everyone else in the political areas. I mean how many different ways can you say "no" without it becoming monotonous and predictable? The Republicans just had to provide the lies and appear to take the conspiracy theories seriously and they could cobble together a coalition of conservatives to vote to advance the Republicans' long-held business interests.

For a while, it worked brilliantly. Coupled with their new-found ability for gerrymandering, learned largely from the converted Southern Democrats aided by new computer technology, they won elections and came to dominate the Presidency, Congress and the state governments. But there were two flaws in their success.

Conservatives were at first content to have someone appear to listen to them. But finally, they wanted something done. The evidence of this first flaw was the appearance of the Tea Parties. They wanted to do the impossible, to govern the nation as if the lies and the conspiracy theories were true.

The second flaw was that the indoctrinated conservatives grew up and started to be elected to office. People who seriously believed in the lies and conspiracy theories. People who believed that mainstream media was liberal and was lying when they reported facts that contradicted conservative beliefs. People who believed that government was the problem. People who believed that the economy could self-regulate. People who believed that the nation would be better off if society was run by and for the benefit of profit-making businesses rather than being run by the government for the benefit of the society as a whole. People like Donald Trump.

That these flaws would eventually show up was inevitable. The flaws were baked into the plan from the beginning. What delayed the appearance of the flaws was the help of the Democrats who moved to the right believing that there was a huge number of moderate Republicans there for the taking. What the Democrats didn't realize was that not only could the lies coalesce the right they can create conservatives out of moderates through fear. The Democrats not only pushed the Republicans further right into reactionary politics but they also validated some of the lies by moving to the right, for example, the Washington Consensus, we can't afford entitlements, welfare queens, etc.

Holy crap. The MAGA morons are still chanting "Lock her up! Lock her up!" at his rallies. That's willful ignorance of facts.
no it isn't, that's conservative ideology in action: law doesn't matter, only feelings. logic doesn't matter, only the satisfaction of rage. rationality doesn't matter, only having a target for vitriol.

a rich smarmy woman who wants to treat the federal government like a thing that should be governing the populace is exactly the kind of odious boogeyman that these people have nightmare fantasies about, the "lock her up!" shit isn't because they've been tricked into thinking clinton did anything, it's because they hate everything that woman is and represents and don't care if there's a valid reason for it they just want to see her punished for *something*.

But that is exactly what happened.
no it isn't.

it's not propaganda to feed idiots what they want to hear in order to motivate them to vote for you, any more than it's "propaganda" to just give up and agree with a 6 year old that yes the cookie is called a "pig newton" when they are having a screaming temper tantrum over the name of the product in order to get them to agree to put their shoes on.

The subject of brainwashing should never come up about Trump supporters. In the 2008 election, people voted for Obama merely because they wanted to see the first black president. If that isn't brainwashing, I don't know what is.

The subject of brainwashing should never come up about Trump supporters. In the 2008 election, people voted for Obama merely because they wanted to see the first black president. If that isn't brainwashing, I don't know what is.
You don't know what brainwashing is.

a rich smarmy woman who wants to treat the federal government like a thing that should be governing the populace is exactly the kind of odious boogeyman that these people have nightmare fantasies about, the "lock her up!" shit isn't because they've been tricked into thinking clinton did anything, it's because they hate everything that woman is and represents and don't care if there's a valid reason for it they just want to see her punished for *something*.

Well, Hilary got subpoenaed and then deleted over 30,000 emails and wiped out the server.
She also used a hammer to smash a bunch of her smartphones to pieces to wipe out evidence.
She also lied about all of this and committed obstruction of justice.

You can bet "Lock her up!" is a perfectly fair response. If Trump did these same things, the left would be foaming at the mouth screaming "Lock him up!"

Well, Hilary got subpoenaed and then deleted over 30,000 emails and wiped out the server.
She also used a hammer to smash a bunch of her smartphones to pieces to wipe out evidence.

You can bet "Lock her up!" is a perfectly fair response. If Trump did these same things, the left would be foaming at the mouth screaming "Lock him up!"
You are misinformed, at least according to FactCheck (https://www.factcheck.org/2016/10/spinning-the-fbi-letter/). In particular
Trump is referring to 31,830 emails that Clinton’s lawyers had deemed personal. These emails did not have to be turned over to the State Department, which in the summer of 2014 requested all work-related emails that the former secretary of state had in her possession. (See “A Guide to Clinton’s Emails.”)

The department’s policy allows its employees to determine which emails are work-related and must be preserved. “Messages that are not records may be deleted when no longer needed,” according to the State Department’s Foreign Affairs Manual (5 FAM 443.5). (See “Trump on the Stump.“)

That means Clinton was within her right to delete these emails, so that’s the first thing to know.

Now, Trump is right that these emails were deleted about three weeks after Clinton received a subpoena on March 4 from a Republican-controlled House committee investigating the 2012 deaths of four Americans in Benghazi. However, there is no evidence that she knew that the emails were deleted after the subpoena was issued.
and

PRN used a free software program called BleachBit to delete the emails. That’s what Trump means when he says the emails were “bleached.” Other times he has said that Clinton “used chemicals” to “acid wash or bleach” her emails. That’s part of the deception, too. (See “Trump, Pence ‘Acid Wash’ Facts.”)

“She made 13 phones disappear, some with a hammer.”

It is true that the FBI said (on page 8) it “identified 13 total mobile devices … which potentially were used to send e-mails using Clinton’s clintonemail.com e-mail addresses.” But only eight of the 13 were used while Clinton was secretary of state, the FBI said, so Trump exaggerates the number of devices she had during her four years in office. (See “A Guide to Clinton’s Emails.”)

The FBI also quoted a Clinton aide (on page 9) as saying that he could recall on two occasions that he got rid of old mobile devices by breaking them in half or hitting them with a hammer.

Trump insinuates that there is something sinister about owning several mobile devices and destroying the old ones when they are replaced. But the FBI came to no such conclusion, and security experts interviewed by the technology website Wired said destroying old devices is a good way to erase data — if done properly.

Mrs. Clinton used poor judgment in her handling of this situation, but there is much less evidence of her obstructing justice or perjury than there is on behalf of President Trump.

You are misinformed, at least according to FactCheck (https://www.factcheck.org/2016/10/spinning-the-fbi-letter/). In particular
Trump is referring to 31,830 emails that Clinton’s lawyers had deemed personal. These emails did not have to be turned over to the State Department, which in the summer of 2014 requested all work-related emails that the former secretary of state had in her possession. (See “A Guide to Clinton’s Emails.”)

The department’s policy allows its employees to determine which emails are work-related and must be preserved. “Messages that are not records may be deleted when no longer needed,” according to the State Department’s Foreign Affairs Manual (5 FAM 443.5). (See “Trump on the Stump.“)

That means Clinton was within her right to delete these emails, so that’s the first thing to know.

Now, Trump is right that these emails were deleted about three weeks after Clinton received a subpoena on March 4 from a Republican-controlled House committee investigating the 2012 deaths of four Americans in Benghazi. However, there is no evidence that she knew that the emails were deleted after the subpoena was issued.
and

PRN used a free software program called BleachBit to delete the emails. That’s what Trump means when he says the emails were “bleached.” Other times he has said that Clinton “used chemicals” to “acid wash or bleach” her emails. That’s part of the deception, too. (See “Trump, Pence ‘Acid Wash’ Facts.”)

“She made 13 phones disappear, some with a hammer.”

It is true that the FBI said (on page 8) it “identified 13 total mobile devices … which potentially were used to send e-mails using Clinton’s clintonemail.com e-mail addresses.” But only eight of the 13 were used while Clinton was secretary of state, the FBI said, so Trump exaggerates the number of devices she had during her four years in office. (See “A Guide to Clinton’s Emails.”)

The FBI also quoted a Clinton aide (on page 9) as saying that he could recall on two occasions that he got rid of old mobile devices by breaking them in half or hitting them with a hammer.

Trump insinuates that there is something sinister about owning several mobile devices and destroying the old ones when they are replaced. But the FBI came to no such conclusion, and security experts interviewed by the technology website Wired said destroying old devices is a good way to erase data — if done properly.

Mrs. Clinton used poor judgment in her handling of this situation, but there is much less evidence of her obstructing justice or perjury than there is on behalf of President Trump.

She still deleted over 30,000 e-mails that she did not HAVE TO delete. And "only" 8 out of 13 phones were destroyed, so let's give her a break because not all 13 were destroyed? Yikes!

and

She still deleted over 30,000 e-mails that she did not HAVE TO delete. And "only" 8 out of 13 phones were destroyed, so let's give her a break because not all 13 were destroyed? Yikes!

I reckon I must have deleted more emails than that, that I didn't HAVE TO delete. Deleting emails is a common enough thing; Do you keep every bit of spam and every outdated message anyone sends you? If you do, you're in a very small minority

I reckon I must have deleted more emails than that, that I didn't HAVE TO delete. Deleting emails is a common enough thing; Do you keep every bit of spam and every outdated message anyone sends you? If you do, you're in a very small minority

If I was being investigated by the government about my e-mails, and then I ran home in a panic and frantically deleted my e-mails in a cold sweat, I'd say yes, I would be suspicious.

Reactions: WAB

If I was being investigated by the government about my e-mails, and then I ran home in a panic and frantically deleted my e-mails in a cold sweat, I'd say yes, I would be suspicious.

OK. Well, let us know if anyone actually does that. :rolleyes:

and

She still deleted over 30,000 e-mails that she did not HAVE TO delete.
Huh? No one has to delete emails. They delete them for various reasons. So your response makes no literal sense.
And "only" 8 out of 13 phones were destroyed, so let's give her a break because not all 13 were destroyed? Yikes!
No one is asking to give her a break. I was pointing out that you are misinformed as disturbingly usual.

In a sense yes. Trump and the Trump shills including FOX keep repeating a narrative over and over. Eventually it becomes truth echoed by the followers.

Whenever inconvenient facts are brought up on camera Trump replies 'fake news'. Or says it in tweets.

Look at the term 'deep stae' that is being used. The idea there is a conspiracy and plot to overthrow the president.

The Mueller investigation is a coup attempt. Pole are traitors, the press is the enemy of the peopleand so on.

Trump keeps repeating and eventually it is taken as fact.

If we were not as strong as we are with ingrained institutions we would be in trouble.

And what we have seen from the His Flatulence crowd isn't brainwashing?
what have we seen that is?
all i've seen is simply heartfelt conservative ideology being played out in public.

I haven't watched enough of the garbage to see if there's actual brainwashing involved.

Those who fall for it don't realize they are being brainwashed. Even if they don't fall for it most people don't recognize it as brainwashing. I've pointed out mild brainwashing to some normally intelligent people--who even then remained duped and defended the brainwashers. (The two of us with close relatives that were psychologists spotted it, the rest fell for it. Intelligence does not protect you!)

You don't know what brainwashing is.

You're a precognitive thief!!

How dare you steal my words 8 hours before I even thought of them!

(You posted exactly the reply I was going to make before seeing your post.)

You realize back then people routinely deleted old e-mail from servers to keep the storage requirements down? (These days hard drives have grown so much it's not nearly the issue it used to be.)

And using a hammer is the proper means of disposing of old flash devices that contain sensitive data. At her level, new phone, smash the old one. No method short of destruction ensures the complete erasure of a flash memory device.

and

Phone replaced, I would expect her to destroy the old one. (Admittedly, I don't know if the way the iPhone handles encryption keys is considered secure enough that physical destruction isn't required. That didn't exist back then, though.)

It's the same thing as putting sensitive documents in the shredder rather than the trash can. I've watched multiple medical offices do this--you fill out a form, they take it, scan it and then shred it. My optometrist takes it one step further--her patient form is laminated in plastic. You write on it with what I think is a wet erase marker. It's scanned in, wiped and given to the next patient.

You realize back then people routinely deleted old e-mail from servers to keep the storage requirements down? (These days hard drives have grown so much it's not nearly the issue it used to be.)

And using a hammer is the proper means of disposing of old flash devices that contain sensitive data. At her level, new phone, smash the old one. No method short of destruction ensures the complete erasure of a flash memory device.

Can you imagine all the terror you must be hiding in order to have to use a hammer to smash the thing to bits? I got a bunch of old flash drives by my computer. Never once thought to start smashing them all with a hammer.

Can you imagine all the terror you must be hiding in order to have to use a hammer to smash the thing to bits? I got a bunch of old flash drives by my computer. Never once thought to start smashing them all with a hammer.

You see terror. Rational people see security experts advising destruction as a viable way to prevent the exposure of classified information. Why do right wing nuts always think they are mind-readers?

You see terror. Rational people see security experts advising destruction as a viable way to prevent the exposure of classified information. Why do right wing nuts always think they are mind-readers?

Or do we see crimes taking place and leftists bending over backwards trying to exonerate their own party?

Back
Top Bottom