• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Banning russian news sites in the west is a good idea?

Know what's really bugging me about that video? Ignorance of what leadership is actually doing is likely happening in most countries.

In all countries. Plus they select only these replies which suits their narrative and ignore the ones which does not. But yeah, russians are as ignorant as the rest. The difference is, unlike you (especially Americans) they know they are.

Except that in countries with free press, the agenda is not dictated by the government, and are by far less intrusive. You can't get 15 years in jail as a CNN journalist for interviewing a wrong person. Also, even if some media ignores certain viewpoints, another one can fill the gap and report on those. Even if the public is just as docile and just believe what's on the evening news, the content they get is orders of magnitude better in US or Europe that Russia right now.

The video actually is a prime example how western media, even the most biased one (RFE is a government-owned propaganda channel), shows both sides. They interviewed and chose to air both pro-war and anti-war points of view. So what's the agenda there? To show Russians support war? Or that they support Putin?

French TV channel asked a wrong ukrainian.
It's translated in russian but in the end it shows reddit comments which give you an idea what she was talking about. I am surprised they did not cut her off.
And what's the alternative? Some Russian bullshitter reading batshit insane reddit comments from an area that describes itself as follows:

"This is a Dengist subreddit in favor of Bashar al-Assad with no information leading to the arrest of Hillary Rodham Clinton, our fellow liberal and queen. This subreddit is not ironic, we are Marxist-Leninists."

If that's what counts as "news" in the Russian bubble, I'm sorry for you.

As for the lady, note that she wasn't cut off (unlike the clip you posted), and while she was clearly critical of Ukrainian corruption and government, this was aired on February 24th, on the first day of the war. She's just clueless, but guess what: the "MSM" still let her finish her rant about Zelensky. There's no way in hell a pro-Ukrainian caller would ever get that kind of screen time in Russia right now.

Know what's really bugging me about that video? Ignorance of what leadership is actually doing is likely happening in most countries.

In all countries.

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but Russia is not “all countries”.
There is no active government suppression of the Free Press in America. Regimes like Trump’s try to overwhelm the truth with tsunamis of bullshit, and try to hide their activities. But they can’t gag the press like Pootey does.

Except that in countries with free press, the agenda is not dictated by the government, and are by far less intrusive. You can't get 15 years in jail as a CNN journalist for interviewing a wrong person.
I don't disagree. I've never disagreed with that. But does that excuse NATO expansion and having a proxy war with Russua? Yes Russia sucks at democracy and freedom of the press thing. But are you really that good? You don't view western press as one sided? You don't see that people who disagree with neocon agenda have been shunned for decades?

In 8 years not a single american (and probably western) journalist have tried to visit Crimea and ask "wrong" person there. Same with Eastern Ukraine - nobody said anything when Ukrainian Air Force bombed City Hall there and killed 8 people there.
And now you are busy bitching about fake bombing of Kharkiv City Hall conducted by ukrainian nazis. You don't think people see that?

Here is a german politician speaking in german but translated in Russian.
I can't find german, let alone english version.
Why is that? Is that because that she essentially agrees with people like me and Mearsheimer? Why is that Ukrainian students at Chicago University are trying to shut Mearsheimer down?

Except that in countries with free press, the agenda is not dictated by the government, and are by far less intrusive. You can't get 15 years in jail as a CNN journalist for interviewing a wrong person.
I don't disagree. I've never disagreed with that. But does that excuse NATO expansion and having a proxy war with Russua? Yes Russia sucks at democracy and freedom of the press thing. But are you really that good? You don't view western press as one sided? You don't see that people who disagree with neocon agenda have been shunned for decades?

In 8 years not a single american (and probably western) journalist have tried to visit Crimea and ask "wrong" person there. Same with Eastern Ukraine - nobody said anything when Ukrainian Air Force bombed City Hall there and killed 8 people there.
And now you are busy bitching about fake bombing of Kharkiv City Hall conducted by ukrainian nazis. You don't think people see that?

Why is that? Is that because that she essentially agrees with people like me and Mearsheimer? Why is that Ukrainian students at Chicago University are trying to shut Mearsheimer down?

Some students circulated a letter trying to ban Mearsheimer. Big whoop. Here's my problem with the big Mearster: his lectures start with the "the Ukraine war could have been preventable but for.......". Well stop right there. At this point, who the hell cares? We don't live in fantasy game. If the west stopped being meanies to Russia right now, wouldn't change the fact that the war is on. And Ukrainians are dying. There are no Russian civilians being killed or even being threatened. It is Ukrainians. And it will be the Balkans and Poland tomorrow if Russia isn't stopped. People who are imperialistic and believe that there are Nazi's all over the place probably can't be reasoned with. And the only thing that will probably stop the Russians are javelins, stingers, and great determination.

In 8 years not a single american (and probably western) journalist have tried to visit Crimea and ask "wrong" person there.
Maybe that has something to do with the widespread harassment of journalists in Crimea and separatist republics of Eastern Ukraine? Including torture by electrocution. News organizations tend to take threats like that seriously. That's why they're leaving Russia en masse now that reporters might face 15 years in jail for telling the truth about Putin's war.

I couldn't find an American journalist reporting from Crimea (maybe I just didn't look hard enough), but did find a French one. And guess what, she also interviews both sides, no propaganda. I also remember seeing Crimeans being talked to in the streets on TV at the time when the annexation had happened. Can't remember which channel, probably BBC or some European news outlet because I don't follow American news anymore. That's how free press works. Even if you don't see stuff on main news channels, some smaller media is going to cover it.

Lastly, Crimea isn't that interesting. They're just as brainwashed as rest of Russia. Asking the same questions from people in Crimea as those in St. Petersburg or Moscow is probably going to yield the same answers. And it's absurd to whine about unfair representation in the media when Russia is bombing civilians in Ukraine.

Same with Eastern Ukraine - nobody said anything when Ukrainian Air Force bombed City Hall there and killed 8 people there.
False. First google search shows that CNN did report it. And they did not believe the Ukrainian denial about the attack either.

It obviously wasn't fake.

Yes Russia sucks at democracy and freedom of the press thing. But are you really that good?
Yes.
Thing is though, "that good" isn't all that good. It's probably more accurate to say that Russia is that bad. Right up there with China and North Korea now, as evidenced by the bullshit excuses they're putting forth for committing genocide against the Ukrainian civilian population.
Poor Pootey thought nobody would care if he pulled another Aleppo. He was tragically wrong. His sticking to his decision to invade as if he knew all along that it was a suicide mission for his Army, his Country and himself, is going to result in the demise of Russia as a major power, the impoverishing of the Russian citizenry and possibly a World War wherein Russia will only be one among many casualties.

Looks like West banned all russian news websites.
And I can't watch CNN anymore.
Slowly moving toward WW3 and then nuclear war.
all because of one girl not happy about lingerie selections in Russia.
Who's that girl? Perhaps it's not too late to avert W.W. III with a Go Fund Me campaign for a latex catsuit.

Looks like West banned all russian news websites.
You need to narrow that down. Did governments ban the "news" or do private carriers choose not to do business with Russia?

And I can't watch CNN anymore.
And this changes....what?
Slowly moving toward WW3 and then nuclear war.
They won't be two separate events. Someone'll get desperate and/or stupid in or at teh start of WW3 and throw one, everyone with nukes will dogpile on. We'll have to. There's no way anyone will believe anyone else is using nukes in a limited engagement for tactical advantage within specific boundaries.

And as for desperate and/or stupid candicates, who's the one who's alienated pretty much the entire world?
all because of one girl not happy about lingerie selections in Russia.
Is that what Putin wears under his suit? Therapy would have been a lot cheaper than invasion.

In 8 years not a single american (and probably western) journalist have tried to visit Crimea and ask "wrong" person there.

If they did they knew better than to report about it.

You want to continue to report from an area without free speech, you report basically the party line. The only time you see the truth is from reporters who have left and aren't going to go back again.

Russia is going full on North Korea.

The rumor is that this will take place on Friday, March 11, but there is no official confirmation of this. Russia has tested the ability to disconnect in the past, but it has never announced a plan to do so. A lot of Western sites have blocked access to Russia, and Russia has blocked a lot of sites for Russian IP addresses. Ukraine has asked for Russia to be cut off. However, this is still a rumor at this point in time, and the internet is notorious for rumors of this sort that turn out to have no basis in fact. It will certainly be a shock to Russians, if this happens, especially to Russian youth. If Putin is considering this, he has really gone off the rails.

If they did they knew better than to report about it.

You want to continue to report from an area without free speech, you report basically the party line. The only time you see the truth is from reporters who have left and aren't going to go back again.
So why no western reporters in Crimea/Eastern Ukraine? Keep in mind that there were plenty of them in Russia.

China wannabe.
China knows how to extract resources, imprison people AND make stuff.
Russia just knows how to extract stuff and imprison people. The stuff they make is crap, as proven in Ukraine.

Why is that? Is that because that she essentially agrees with people like me and Mearsheimer?

No. It's because you can't be bothered to look for it. The link to the German version is in the description of the video you linked to. You know, the second line, which begins with "Ссылка на оригинал видео: (Link to original video)."

Yes, that one. It has been viewed almost half a million times in the seven days since it was published, so it can't be particularly difficult to find.

I bet if Sahra Wagenknecht, or whoever manages her Youtube channel, produced the same video with English subtitles, it would be equally easy to access.

Back
Top Bottom