• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Split Biden or Trump too old?

To notify a split thread.
During the Cold War Barbos was the commie we all loved to hate. Comical, goofy and irrational.

Good for a laugh.

I knew some of you were prejudiced regarding older adults, but damn, you can really use some insulting, bigoted language. Such wisdom. /s

You guys want a millennial. You've got two choices, DeSantis and Vivek Ramaswammy. That's two fucking, corrupt idiots, including one who lacks any experience in government and constantly contradicts himself and one who has just been found to be a bit corrupt, according to an article I read this morning in WaPo. No surprise there. He's also a mean, bigoted POS, so much to be desired in a president. And some of you are worried about an older man who has wisdom, and decades of experience! You're worried because he looks a bit old at 80, walks like perhaps he has some arthritic knees or hips, but still rides a bike and exercises regularly? And, omg, he sometimes forgets words, especially names. That's common in old age, but it's not a symptom of dementia. Worst of all, the Republicans are upset because Biden pets dogs and he likes ice cream. It's been tweeted numerous times by the Rs. OMG! How can we have a president like that when we have two millennials who were made in the image of Trump, but with even less appeal.

You think Biden's too old? Who is the younger, charismatic Democrat who wants to run for that job? Seriously? Who wants to deal with what Biden has had thrown at him by the wing nut Republicans since day one? There is nobody as experienced and able to deal with the criticism as well as Biden. Btw, one of the good things about an aging brain, per some neurologists, is that most people who have one are better at taking criticism and controlling their emotions. OF course, Trump is an exception to that. He can never admit a mistake. He can't even laugh at himself. He's a whiny little baby who projects his faults and crimes on others. But, I digress......

And, if something should happen to Biden, as all of us will die some day, I'm not worried about having Kamala as president. She's not my first choice but in my life, there have been two or three presidents who were my first choice. I'll take her any day given the alternatives.

You think Biden's too old?
Yes. Biden is in decline, you are in denial.
Do you honestly think Biden is NOT declining. He is not going to run for 2024, we all know it.

Who is the younger, charismatic Democrat who wants to run for that job? Seriously? Who wants to deal with what Biden has had thrown at him by the wing nut Republicans since day one?
Gavin Newsom, that's who! He has been running a shadow campaign for the past year.

Btw, one of the good things about an aging brain, per some neurologists, is that most people who have one are better at taking criticism and controlling their emotions.
Not once Alzheimer sets in. Brandon can get very cranky.

And, if something should happen to Biden, as all of us will die some day, I'm not worried about having Kamala as president. She's not my first choice but in my life, there have been two or three presidents who were my first choice. I'll take her any day given the alternatives.
Good lord.

Gavin Newsom, that's who! He has been running a shadow campaign for the past year.

I've never paid much attention to other state's governors, I know little about Newsom.
About all I know is that he trounced people like you in a recall referendum, and he's not a TeaParty Republican.
That's enough to solidly have my vote in 2024.
Tom

Whether a person has declined into senility, Alzheimer's, mental incompetence, or other serious public risk is a different question than whether they are too old. There are correlations there between age and severity of such conditions but there are not definite risky conditions with age.

In any case, this is yet another case of Republican projections. Trump's mental problem isn't so much age as narcissism and pretty much everything he says is terrible. So of course Republicans have to point at Biden. "Look Biden made another gaffe! He must be mental." Biden always made gaffes. That's quite different from Ronnie Raygun or Trump and their mental issues. And there are plenty of old politicians whose minds were okay.

I suspect the 2024 election isn't going to be a decision on which old white cunt will be President, but more the type of people Americans want in leadership positions in government. I'm not sure that's a bad thing.
It would be a very GOOD thing. But we should have learned by now, that Murkins are very fond of their fantasies. The idea of Trump and his criminal gang tearing down the government, holds a lot of romantic appeal to Trumpsuckers. It’s not a battle among codgers, it’s the White Knight vs. Dark Brandon - in their addled minds.
Too bad that ‘white knight’ wears a ( metaphorical) white hood…

Whether a person has declined into senility, Alzheimer's, mental incompetence, or other serious public risk is a different question than whether they are too old. There are correlations there between age and severity of such conditions but there are not definite risky conditions with age.

In any case, this is yet another case of Republican projections. Trump's mental problem isn't so much age as narcissism and pretty much everything he says is terrible. So of course Republicans have to point at Biden. "Look Biden made another gaffe! He must be mental." Biden always made gaffes. That's quite different from Ronnie Raygun or Trump and their mental issues. And there are plenty of old politicians whose minds were okay.
Yeah but neither Trump nor Reagan were ‘ok.’ Reagan clearly was experiencing cognitive decline during his second term. Trump is way more than average on the narcissism scale and has no other redeeming qualities to balance that. His character is bad. His work ethic is poor. His intellectual talents do not break average. He’s dishonest to the core.

I knew some of you were prejudiced regarding older adults, but damn, you can really use some insulting, bigoted language. Such wisdom. /s
I do not think it is prejudice that people generally decline in advanced age. Note, Biden is already showing signs of age (as is Trump, btw) and he wants to do this job for 5 more years, half a decade.
You guys want a millennial.
Why do people always ignore that Gen X exists?
Talk about generational bigotry! At least I acknowledge the existence of the Silent Genration (Biden is too old to be a Boomer).
You've got two choices, DeSantis and Vivek Ramaswammy.
While VR is a Millennial, RdS is an Xer.
Worst of all, the Republicans are upset because Biden pets dogs and he likes ice cream.
They are? [citation needed]
It's been tweeted numerous times by the Rs. OMG! How can we have a president like that when we have two millennials who were made in the image of Trump, but with even less appeal.
A lot of stupid shit gets tweeted every day. That does not it is representative of "the Republicans".
You think Biden's too old? Who is the younger, charismatic Democrat who wants to run for that job? Seriously?
As long as Biden says he is running, that keeps anybody credible (i.e. not RFK Jr. or the Marianne the Witch) from running in the primary.
She is very unpopular. Should Biden get reelected, I have no doubt she would be a reasonably competent president if needed - even if I disagree with many of her policy positions like banning fracking (idiotic especially in light of the Ukraine invasion) or forced busing (the 70s called and they want their failed policies back!) But she'd have a hard time getting reelected in her own right, I think. And of course, should something happen to Biden before the election, but after a primary can be run, putting her on the top of the ticket could make it difficult for Dems to win.

Last edited:
I've never paid much attention to other state's governors, I know little about Newsom.
About all I know is that he trounced people like you in a recall referendum, and he's not a TeaParty Republican.
That's enough to solidly have my vote in 2024.
California is a very lefty state - Biden won it with 63.5% and even Hillary got 61.7%. So success there does not translate into a nationwide success. Last president from California was Reagan, before him was Nixon. No other Californians ever ascended to presidency.

I think the idiotic "reparations taskforce" he started will be an albatross around his neck. It isn't even playing well in California, and it will play in the rest of the country even less.
A California panel has called for billions in reparations for descendants of slaves
Most California voters oppose cash reparations for slavery, poll finds

California is a very lefty state - Biden won it with 63.5% and even Hillary got 61.7%. So success there does not translate into a nationwide success.
Biden and Newsom both have one thing in common that Trump doesn't.
They have been elected by the voters.

They weren't appointed by the rigged system of the Electoral College without winning the popular vote.
Once.
Tom

Both Biden and Trump have been elected president by the voters once, using the electoral system we have. Biden also was elected by the voters of Delaware a bunch of times for the Senate.

They weren't appointed by the rigged system of the Electoral College without winning the popular vote.
Not this old canard again! The EC system is the system we have. You might as well complain that Olaf Scholz is not a legitimate Bundeskanzler of Germany because he wasn't elected by winning the popular vote.
Were our presidential elections run by popular vote, campaigns would be run differently and total vote counts would be different as well. It's like saying that team A should have won the World Series because they had more total runs than team B even though B bested A 4 to 3. No, the game is played by the rules as they exist. Had the rule been that the team with most total runs over 7 games wins, both teams would have played differently, and B might still have won.

Besides, nobody won the popular vote in 2016. Hillary had more votes than Trump, sure, but she still had <50%. In a popular vote system like e.g. in France, there would have been a runoff.

Heh. They also have never lost an election and insisted without evidence that they won.

Trump has never been elected by voters.
That's a fact.
Tom
If "by voters" you mean "by popular vote" then neither has Biden or any US president, since every single one was elected by the electoral college, as the US Constitution prescribes.
Just like no World Series winner won by the total number of runs, even if coincidentally they had most runs as well as most games won. Only the latter counts, just like in US presidential elections only the electoral vote counts.

If "by voters" you mean "by popular vote"
I can well understand why you prefer to ignore democracy, since there'd be few if any Republicans in Washington without gerrymandering and the EC and voter fraud.
Tom

I can well understand why you prefer to ignore democracy, since there'd be few if any Republicans in Washington without gerrymandering and the EC and voter fraud.
I do not prefer to ignore democracy. I prefer not to ignore what the system is. I prefer not to pretend that you can just take numbers under present system and apply them to different rules, because campaign strategies would be different if rules were different.

If the question is "what system should we have?" then we can discuss that. Popular vote for president, proportional representation in the House, etc.
But if the question is "what system do we have" then there is no debate. The system is well known. Both teams know to play to it, not to some hypothetical better system. Just like sportsball teams play to the rules of the game in effect when they play them.

We are drifting far afield from the question about the two geezers being too old, however.

I do not think it is prejudice that people generally decline in advanced age. Note, Biden is already showing signs of age (as is Trump, btw) and he wants to do this job for 5 more years, half a decade.
You guys want a millennial.
Why do people always ignore that Gen X exists?
Talk about generational bigotry! At least I acknowledge the existence of the Silent Genration (Biden is too old to be a Boomer).
You've got two choices, DeSantis and Vivek Ramaswammy.
While VR is a Millennial, RdS is an Xer.
Worst of all, the Republicans are upset because Biden pets dogs and he likes ice cream.
They are? [citation needed]
It's been tweeted numerous times by the Rs. OMG! How can we have a president like that when we have two millennials who were made in the image of Trump, but with even less appeal.
A lot of stupid shit gets tweeted every day. That does not it is representative of "the Republicans".
You think Biden's too old? Who is the younger, charismatic Democrat who wants to run for that job? Seriously?
As long as Biden says he is running, that keeps anybody credible (i.e. not RFK Jr. or the Marianne the Witch) from running in the primary.
She is very unpopular. Should Biden get reelected, I have no doubt she would be a reasonably competent president if needed - even if I disagree with many of her policy positions like banning fracking (idiotic especially in light of the Ukraine invasion) or forced busing (the 70s called and they want their failed policies back!) But she'd have a hard time getting reelected in her own right, I think. And of course, should something happen to Biden before the election, but after a primary can be run, putting her on the top of the ticket could make it difficult for Dems to win.
I very genuinely want the next generation to step forward and to become involved in policy making and legislating and yes, POTUS. I've been very dismayed that there has been so little coming up through the ranks in the Democratic Party. Then I see the 'younger generation' of the GOP and OMG What a bunch of incompetent, immoral morons!

Anyway, you people are ridiculous. Biden is obviously senile and can not function at any job, let alone POTUS.
He needs to be put in proper facility. So is McConnell and whole bunch of other 80+ people in your Congress.
It seems the senile unfunctioning president is presently kicking your ass.

Plus his speech. He has to work at remembering.
Yeah, forget the thinking, he needs to work on remembering .... where the exits are.
This is your president.
Lucky for you in this country it is not a crime to publically insult the president.....not like China and Russia or North Korea.
Well, that's true, politicians are not special in Russia, there is no special right to publicly insult them as in US.
We can insult anyone, politicians aren't treated any different.

Note that that applies only to the public soapbox, though--the owners of private spaces are free to put restrictions on what it done with their space. Thus I can insult Pootin because he's not a member but I can't insult you because you are.

Back
Top Bottom