• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Bill Maher For President - 2028

Brave of you to assume that there will be elections in 2028.
Unless he pushes the red button or the like there will be an election. The question is whether it will mean anything.

Ahhhhh, you guessed it right. But a serious question remains. Who will run for president in 2028? And will the Democrats end up with another ho hum candidate. Will the DNC as usual. stomp in with its big, muddy feet, screwing anybody running who is even mildly progressive as usual?
I am very, very concerned that it wil be my state's well known but variously received governor, Gavin Newsom.

They guy that you defend at every turn, the guy you think is doing a good job of running the state of California? Why wouldn't you want him to run for president?
I think what is best for America is to have Newsom for President and Hunter's laptop for VP. All the Joe Rogan dipshits would OD on ivermectin in the US.

Which would at least reprove the Theory of Evolution in Alabama, I guess

Ahhhhh, you guessed it right. But a serious question remains. Who will run for president in 2028? And will the Democrats end up with another ho hum candidate. Will the DNC as usual. stomp in with its big, muddy feet, screwing anybody running who is even mildly progressive as usual?
I am very, very concerned that it wil be my state's well known but variously received governor, Gavin Newsom.
Newsom would be a good choice because he would stand a good chance of winning it. If Biden wins in November, and if Newsom could win in '28, it would give us a sold 12 years of rational SCOTUS picks. And if he could go two terms, we could get a majority rational Supreme Court again.

No way the entire current crop of assholes sticks around for 16 more years.

Why are we so far behind Mexico?
On civil rights? When have we ever not been? They emancipated their slaves, methodically dismantled the corrupt alliance between church and state, and legalized interracial marriage within years of attaining nationhood. When it comes down to it, we only ever threw off the shackles of colonialism halfway; Mexico blew them all to hell. Of course, their freedoms came at a considerable cost, a cost they are still paying.
The second president of Mexico was a black man.

Maher is an anti-vaxx crackpot. No thanks. Please pick Neil deGrasse Tyson.
He's not really anti vaccine, but he has claimed that the reaction to COVID was extreme and he makes fun of people who wear masks. I have a friend who still wears a mask. Why the fuck should I care if it makes her feel comfortable?. She has asthma and she's 74 years old. People like her are still at risk for serious complications of COVID. I think Maher is just a bit of a narcissist. I even think that may be why he only has 3 guests on his show these days, when he used to have 5. He seems to get upset when he doesn't get to talk as much as his guests do or if the audience doesn't laugh much at his jokes. He didn't seem that way when he was younger, but he is a celebrity, so I guess he craves attention for all the time he spends doing stand up etc. and to me, that makes him look a bit too self centered. Still, nobody can help who they are.

AS far as the woke thing goes, some of his points are true. Some of the extremist cancel culture has hurt the progressive goals and made progressives an easy target, but some of them don't seem to realize that it's stupid to overreact to someone who might use a word that is now considered inappropriate, or to judge someone harshly because they haven't kept up with the latest ideas as to what is appropriate and what might be perceived as an insult. Maybe we should all look in the mirror before we judge those who might use a word or expression that is now considered out of date. And no, I'm not talking about those who are obvious racists or haters of the LBGTQ community. I'm talking about a person who simply hasn't kept up things.

Progressives have lost some of the liberal base due some of the behavior that Maher has criticized. Compassion, understanding and forgiveness work far better than condemnation over minor things. Al Franken always comes to mind as an example of someone who was condemned for some minor things. He was an excellent Senator with progressive goals, but some of his comedy was condemned, during the height of the me too movement, despite the fact that he never sexually assaulted anyone, unlike the former president, who over 20 women have accused of sexually assaulting them. But Al Franken left politics over what I perceive as something minor, which he apologized for and that should have been the end of it.

He's not really anti vaccine, but he has claimed that the reaction to COVID was extreme and he makes fun of people who wear masks. I have a friend who still wears a mask. Why the fuck should I care if it makes her feel comfortable?. She has asthma and she's 74 years old. People like her are still at risk for serious complications of COVID. I think Maher is just a bit of a narcissist. I even think that may be why he only has 3 guests on his show these days, when he used to have 5. He seems to get upset when he doesn't get to talk as much as his guests do or if the audience doesn't laugh much at his jokes. He didn't seem that way when he was younger, but he is a celebrity, so I guess he craves attention for all the time he spends doing stand up etc. and to me, that makes him look a bit too self centered. Still, nobody can help who they are.

AS far as the woke thing goes, some of his points are true. Some of the extremist cancel culture has hurt the progressive goals and made progressives an easy target, but some of them don't seem to realize that it's stupid to overreact to someone who might use a word that is now considered inappropriate, or to judge someone harshly because they haven't kept up with the latest ideas as to what is appropriate and what might be perceived as an insult. Maybe we should all look in the mirror before we judge those who might use a word or expression that is now considered out of date. And no, I'm not talking about those who are obvious racists or haters of the LBGTQ community. I'm talking about a person who simply hasn't kept up things.

Progressives have lost some of the liberal base due some of the behavior that Maher has criticized. Compassion, understanding and forgiveness work far better than condemnation over minor things. Al Franken always comes to mind as an example of someone who was condemned for some minor things. He was an excellent Senator with progressive goals, but some of his comedy was condemned, during the height of the me too movement, despite the fact that he never sexually assaulted anyone, unlike the former president, who over 20 women have accused of sexually assaulting them. But Al Franken left politics over what I perceive as something minor, which he apologized for and that should have been the end of it.
Huh? That's not what I remember.

Sen. Al Franken's accusers and their allegations against him.

Eight women have spoken out publicly detailing different alleged incidents when Sen. Al Franken groped or tried to kiss them.

Franken, D-Minn., has issued multiple statements apologizing in some instances and saying that he does not remember other alleged incidents.

Only one of the eight accusers, whose allegations are detailed below, points to an alleged incident while he was serving as a senator.

As of early Wednesday afternoon, more than a dozen senators -- including at least eight female senators -- have called for him to resign, and his office said that he will make an announcement tomorrow.

It's not 20, but 8 is a pretty substantial number..

Progressives have lost some of the liberal base due some of the behavior that Maher has criticized
Are you saying they once had it? That there was a time when Progressives had substantial pull over the decisions of the Democratic Party, but they have now lost it? If so, during what years would you say that Progressives had authority within the Party, and when did "wokeness" drive them out? It's true that they are marginalized, but I also feel that Progressive principles have more vocal representation and sway over the public imagination now than they ever have in the past, at least since the Progressives had their first victories at the start of the 20th century. If anything, it's Maher's style of disengaged but smarter-than-thou snark that has become less popular in the past decade, as the Left has generally lost its sense of humor and the stakes for the future of the Party have become ever more serious, and as a new wave of anti-intellectualism has settled in within American culture broadly speaking.

Progressives have lost some of the liberal base due some of the behavior that Maher has criticized
Are you saying they once had it? That there was a time when Progressives had substantial pull over the decisions of the Democratic Party, but they have now lost it? If so, during what years would you say that Progressives had authority within the Party, and when did "wokeness" drive them out? It's true that they are marginalized, but I also feel that Progressive principles have more vocal representation and sway over the public imagination now than they ever have in the past, at least since the Progressives had their first victories at the start of the 20th century. If anything, it's Maher's style of disengaged but smarter-than-thou snark that has become less popular in the past decade, as the Left has generally lost its sense of humor and the stakes for the future of the Party have become ever more serious, and as a new wave of anti-intellectualism has settled in within American culture broadly speaking.
Apparently you totally missed my point. Sorry. It can be difficult to make oneself clear when writing posts. And, I don't care for Maher's attitude, which I already mentioned, but I simply agree that some of his points are correct. I just erased a bit of my post, as it's seems lately that you sometimes jump to conclusions things that people write. It can be hard at times to get one's point across when posting on a social media board. I'll try one more time, and then we'll simply have to leave it at that.

I'm reading a book for the second time about free will. I read it over five years ago, so naturally I have forgotten a lot of the details. An interesting thing that the author pointed out is how moral values change over time. It may be an extreme example, but he mentions if someone was born into and grew up as a member of a headhunter tribe, it would seem morally correct for him to join in with his tribe of head hunters. So, what I'm trying to say is that as social things change, people need time to adjust. For example, last week I read about a Baptist pastor who had condemned gay folks as terrible sinners, but over time, he realized that he was wrong and now he tells his congregation to love and accept gay folks. If you want people to change, you don't condemn them. You set an example and give them time to adjust. Or, you can ignore them, if it's too hard to do that. That's how I cope with all the Trump supporters in my area. I am kind to them, but it's pointless to try and change them. I'm willing to discuss politics with them if we both agree to do it without malice. The first and most important thing I learned as a young nursing student is never to judge your patients. It's hard not to judge people, but it makes you a better person, when you're able to do that. That is my issue with those who condemn others who simply haven't adjusted yet to things that are now considered normal, like for example, women who are fearful of trans females using their restrooms. I have no problem with it, but I do understand how it might be hard for some women to feel comfortable with it. Give them some time, and most will adjust. Biden promoted gay marriage before Obama did, but eventually Obama supported it too. He apparently needed more time to fully understand it.

Of course, not everyone will change for the better as we are all influenced both by our genetic backgrounds and environmental influences. Unless the influences are positive ones, as in the case of the Baptist pastor, it's unlikely the person will change. And, of course, some people are born psychopaths, a disorder that currently has no effective treatment. Let's just hope that our next president isn't one. Let's support the person who is less than perfect but is doing his best, despite all of the opposition he faces from both the extreme right and the extreme left.

Last edited:

Bill Maher has a history of being anti-vaxx long before Covid. See for example Bill Maher: Still an antivaccine crank after all these years which is from 2015.

Huh? That's not what I remember.

Sen. Al Franken's accusers and their allegations against him.

Eight women have spoken out publicly detailing different alleged incidents when Sen. Al Franken groped or tried to kiss them.

Franken, D-Minn., has issued multiple statements apologizing in some instances and saying that he does not remember other alleged incidents.

Only one of the eight accusers, whose allegations are detailed below, points to an alleged incident while he was serving as a senator.

As of early Wednesday afternoon, more than a dozen senators -- including at least eight female senators -- have called for him to resign, and his office said that he will make an announcement tomorrow.

It's not 20, but 8 is a pretty substantial number..
I think you should read the link I'm going to add. Al Franken was unjustly accused and he was never given the right to be questioned by the ethics committee. And, btw, the woman in the comedy sketch was wearing a Kevlar vest and he didn't even touch her breasts. He put his hands over the area of her breasts. He and 7 of those who asked him to resign now retreat that decision. What All did may have been inappropriate, but it wasn't sexual assault. Read the entire link and if you like, do some DD of your own and you'll see that the accusations against him had little evidence. Meanwhile, we have Trump, Gaetz, Kavanaugh and others who very likely did assault women or have sex with minors etc.

Shit. I can't get the l ink to post. Here's some quotes from it.

This is FRESH AIR. I'm Terry Gross. In a new article in The New Yorker, titled "The Case Of Al Franken," my guest Jane Mayer investigates the accusations of sexual misconduct that led Franken to resign under pressure from the Senate. She's found that the story told by Franken's chief accuser, Leeann Tweeden, is full of holes. Mayer also looked into the accusations against Franken made by seven other women who came forward after Tweeden.

Three weeks after Tweeden's accusations, Franken resigned after being pressured by some of his fellow senators. Seven of those senators told Mayer they now regret having called for Franken's resignation. An eighth came forward after the article was published.

Mayer is one of the leading journalists who's been reporting on sexual harassment and assault, from Anita Hill's accusation against Clarence Thomas to the accusations against Brett Kavanaugh. Last year, Mayer joined with Ronan Farrow to break the story of four women who accused New York's Attorney General Eric Schneiderman of physical abuse. Three hours after the story was published, Schneiderman resigned.

During my interview with Mayer, we're going to hear a recording of Leeann Tweeden in which she talks about Al Franken's behavior when they did a USO tour together in 2006. And we'll hear an excerpt from my 2004 interview with Al Franken about the USO tour he'd just completed. Listening back to that interview now puts Tweeden's accusations in a different context.

Jane Mayer, welcome back to FRESH AIR. Why did you want to write this piece, and why now?

JANE MAYER: Well, both Al Franken and his central accuser, Leeann Tweeden, had called for independent investigations of their charges, and they never got them. So I was just interested in what you would find if you ever went back and took a look at it.

GROSS: So his main accuser, Leeann Tweeden, was on a USO tour in 2006. She made her accusations public in 2017. Can you sum up what her accusations are?

MAYER: They're sort of a twofold - two main parts of it. The first was that in 2006, on this USO tour, she acted in a skit with Al Franken and that he had written a skit just for her as a way of forcing her to kiss him and that when there's a kiss scene in the skit - that he took advantage of her and stuck his tongue in her mouth. So it was a description, basically, of a kind of a sexual assault that was this forced sexual kiss that came out of a skit that she said he wrote just for her.

And she said as soon as she saw the skit, she suspected what he was up to. And then he went ahead and made her rehearse when she didn't want to. And he overpowered her and sort of basically assaulted her. So that was one part of it.

The second part of her accusation was that he asked a photographer to take a picture humiliating her and had it released and sent to her in a CD of some sort. And that was sent to her to make her feel humiliated. And what the picture showed was that when she was asleep on an air transport plane and she was wearing a helmet and a bulletproof vest - that he did this kind of mock lechery thing where he approached her with his hands above her breasts - not quite touching them, but quite close - and made it look like he was leering at her.

GROSS: OK. I want to play Leeann Tweeden, in her own words, describing a little bit of what happened. And later, we'll hear Al Franken describing a similar sketch that he did on an earlier tour. So this is Leeann Tweeden, recorded in November of 2017 on KABC in LA. This is the AM station that she was working on. So at this point, she's talking about how she and Franken were alone backstage, going over their lines one last time.

(SOUNDBITE OF ARCHIVED RECORDING)

LEEANN TWEEDEN: He's like, well, we need to practice the kissing scene. And I'm like, yeah, OK, whatever. And I just sort of blew him off because I didn't - like, we don't need to practice the kissing scene. It's just a quick little thing, you know? And then he persisted. And he's like, no, we really need to practice the kissing scene. And - like, OK, Al. You just turn your head right. I'll turn my head right. We got this, you know? Whatever.

And he kept persisting, and I'm like, Al, this isn't "SNL." We - we're not really going to kiss, so we don't really have to practice. And he just kept persisting. And it just reminded me of, like, the Harvey Weinstein tape that you heard the girl when she was wired up for the NYPD and he - just persistent and badgering and just relentless, you know?

And so I was just like, OK, fine - just so he would shut up, you know? And he just sort of came at me. And we did the line, and he came at me. And before you even know it - I mean, you kind of get close. And he just put his hand on the back of my head, and he mashed his face against - I mean, it happened so fast. And he just mashed his lips against my face, and he stuck his tongue in my mouth so fast.

And all I can remember is that his lips were really wet, and it was slimy. In my mind, I called him Fish Lips the rest of the trip because that's just what it reminded me of. I don't know why. And he stuck his tongue down my mouth, and I remember I pushed him off with my hands. And I just remember I almost punched him so - 'cause every time I see him now, like, my hands clench into fists, and I'm sure that's probably why.

And I said, if you ever do that to me again, I'm not going to be so nice about it the second time. And I just walked out away from him, and I walked out. And I just wanted to find a bathroom, and I just wanted to rinse my mouth out because I was just disgusted, you know?

It was just one of those - I don't know. I was violated. I just felt like, you know, he betrayed my trust. And it - obviously, that is not what I wanted. And that's - I felt like he wrote that just to get that piece in because he knew he wasn't going to get it on stage, and that was why he was badgering me to do it then when we were alone because that's what he wanted.

GROSS: OK. So that's an excerpt of what Leeann Tweeden said on her station KABC after she made her accusations public, and that was recorded in 2017.

So Jane, when I heard Leeann Tweeden's accusations and when I saw the photo that she talked about, accusing Al Franken of touching her breasts - and by the way, in that photo, she's wearing a Kevlar vest, and his hands don't seem to be touching - all of it reminded me of a sketch. I mean, like, the photo seemed like a callback to a sketch that he told me about on the air in early 2004, just a couple of weeks after returning from a USO tour in Iraq and Afghanistan entertaining the troops. And he describes the sketch that I'm referring to in that interview. You quote an excerpt of that interview in your piece.

I want to play a slightly longer version for our listeners so they can hear what Al Franken said about this sketch. And he is positioning this sketch, like, in the manner of the old Bob Hope USO tours in which, like, Bob Hope would always be surrounded by beautiful women, like cheerleaders and models and gorgeous actresses. And he'd make a lot of double entendre kind of sexual innuendo jokes, knowing that he had an audience of young men who were the troops in the audience. And these were always broadcast on TV, so everybody who grew up in the '50s and '60s saw these tours on TV. And I'm sure Franken was in the audience for those as well.

He's not really anti vaccine, but he has claimed that the reaction to COVID was extreme and he makes fun of people who wear masks.

He is antivax. Just because somebody takes a vaccine sometimes doesn't mean they're not antivax. It's part of his general distrust of modern medicine, he thinks he knows better. He spreads misinformation about medicine whenever he talks about it. He doesn't know what he's talking about.

Are you saying they once had it? That there was a time when Progressives had substantial pull over the decisions of the Democratic Party, but they have now lost it? If so, during what years would you say that Progressives had authority within the Party, and when did "wokeness" drive them out?
It is obvious that so-called "progressives" are more powerful in the Democratic Party now then they were before. The primarying of moderate Dems by those who formed the Squad is the prime example. As is Joe "Theoden" Biden being pulled to the Left by Alexandria Wormtongue and Bernie Sandersman the White.
I would also add that the so-called "progressives" are the chief peddlers of wokeism, so it is unlikely wokeism would drive them out.
It's true that they are marginalized,
Hardly.
the Left has generally lost its sense of humor
This is very true indeed.

Al Franken always comes to mind as an example of someone who was condemned for some minor things. He was an excellent Senator with progressive goals, but some of his comedy was condemned, during the height of the me too movement, despite the fact that he never sexually assaulted anyone,
Al Franken's downfall was not only timing (as you said, the height of the "me too" hysteria) and betrayal by his fellow Senators (led by Kristen Gellibrand) but also that he, as a progressive, was on board with the "believe all women" nonsense. So he had a hard time defending himself against accusations, no matter how unsubstantiated.

Newsom would be a good choice because he would stand a good chance of winning it.
Doubtful that Newsom would play in the crucial states of the Midwest. And his push for race-based reparations will be an albatross around his neck. It may play in the primaries, but the goal should be to nominate someone who can win in November.

Back
Top Bottom