• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Black Jogger Gunned Down In The Street

The truck that had already cut him off once, then he turned and ran from it, then the truck caught up and cut him off again. Hard right? Through someone’s yard or through the woods which would make hiding his body easier?

The McMichaels would never have caught up with him. Arbery was an accomplished athlete.
Yeah, but he was even more accomplished Chuck Norris.

The truck that had already cut him off once, then he turned and ran from it, then the truck caught up and cut him off again. Hard right? Through someone’s yard or through the woods which would make hiding his body easier?
The logical action is to take the gun from one of the slobs, right?

As a final resort, yes.

That's also in the Active Shooter training video* we have to watch at work. If you can't escape and the shooter finds you despite your attempts to hide from him/her, you're supposed to grab what you can to use as a weapon and commit to the fight wholeheartedly.

*This isn't the exact same one I had to watch but it's nearly identical. Perhaps it's an updated version.

As a final resort, yes.

That's also in the Active Shooter training video* we have to watch at work. If you can't escape and the shooter finds you despite your attempts to hide from him/her, you're supposed to grab what you can to use as a weapon and commit to the fight wholeheartedly.

*This isn't the exact same one I had to watch but it's nearly identical. Perhaps it's an updated version.

I've seen a lot of those videos over some years of 'active shooter training.'

According to our "nothing wrong happened here" folks, the correct response is not "run, hide, fight," but rather:

Run towards the dark-skinned person.

Hide the fact that you plan to kill them for no apparent reason.

Fight the urge to stand over their bloody corpse and scream "take that (insert racial epithet here).!"

Of course one would be prudent to have the exits known and a loose plan if some shooter wandered into the office with murder on their mind, but if you're walking down the street and see some random black man?

Sanity would tell you that gunning them down because you thought they might be a wanted criminal is wrong, but our intrepid vigilantes here apparently disagree. Encounter a dark-skinned person just going about their business of exercising? "Gosh, that person matches the description of some dangerous thug. Maybe I should confront them? If they don't cooperate, then I should shoot them!"

Why call the police when you can solve the problem with your 2nd Amendment solution, huh?

As a final resort, yes.
That's pretty fast to a final resort, don't you think?

Is it possible that Arbery never saw any of the active shooter videos you keep banging on about ?

Problem is, there was no active shooter there, it was an active asshole with a gun. all he had to do is to call the police and wait. And don't start with "local police are racists!!!!"

Is it possible that Arbery never saw any of the active shooter videos you keep banging on about ?

It's possible. It's also possible he did see one. So what?

People have been criticizing Arbery for his decisions. I was pointing out that his decisions are what experts recommend you do in that sort of situation:

Run. Hide. Fight.

Arbery was right to run. He was right to try to evade the McMichaels. He was right to keep the truck between himself and the guy with the shotgun. He was right to fight for his life when his life was directly imperiled by Travis McMichael, who came around to the front of the truck with his shotgun instead of staying on the driver's side behind the open door.

Didn’t one of the McMichaels already call the police?

Indeed. Instead of providing adequate information, they decided on an armed pursuit of a black man running through the neighborhood. Apparently their neighborhood that they were too fuckwitted to actually know the names of the streets contained therewithin. At least that's what it sounded like in the recording of the phone call.

So, we have the lie that Arbery was stealing or had any intention of stealing so zero felony. This is demonstrated by the video from the cameras that the construction site managers had mounted.

We have the lie that the construction site had been robbed. Nor had there been a rash of robberies in the neighborhood.

The McMichaels had had a gun stolen from a vehicle at some point in the past so we know that they are not responsible gun owners since the gun was not secured.

The McMichaels had notified the police of a potential problem but failed to give sufficient information because.....someone running might get away?

McMichaels, Sr. had some minor police background, sufficient to inform him of the appropriate action to take if he saw suspicious activity in his neighborhood. Yet he chose to ignore his training. He chose to see an unarmed black man running or jogging through his neighborhood as suspicious and to engage in unauthorized armed pursuit of a man guilty of running while black.

Aside from the McMichaels, there were no gunshots, no reports of someone with guns, no reports or evidence of an active crime in progress.

There was zero justification for following Arbery, zero justification for shooting him and only scant reason for calling the police about Arbery's presence in the neighborhood.

McMichaels, Sr. had some minor police background, sufficient to inform him of the appropriate action to take if he saw suspicious activity in his neighborhood. Yet he chose to ignore his training. He chose to see an unarmed black man running or jogging through his neighborhood as suspicious and to engage in unauthorized armed pursuit of a man guilty of running while black.
Arbery wasn't running until he noticed he was noticed and a guy was on the phone across the street.

Aside from the McMichaels, there were no gunshots, no reports of someone with guns, no reports or evidence of an active crime in progress.

There was zero justification for following Arbery, zero justification for shooting him and only scant reason for calling the police about Arbery's presence in the neighborhood.
You have a guy running from the home under construction... clearly at a pace where he couldn't be holding much of anything. If he was up to no good, you stopped him. Huzzah! If he wasn't up to no good... you spooked him. Well, he shouldn't be there.

Nothing else is going to happen. Why in the flarging heck get in to a truck with guns to pursue him like he just robbed a bank and beat an elderly person senseless? This isn't like the Texas church shooting where an armed guy sees another armed guy shooting up a church. But this is the crap you inevitably deal with when you have stand your ground laws that muddle what would otherwise be quite obvious law interpretations.

Arbery wasn't running until he noticed he was noticed and a guy was on the phone across the street.

You have a guy running from the home under construction... clearly at a pace where he couldn't be holding much of anything. If he was up to no good, you stopped him. Huzzah! If he wasn't up to no good... you spooked him. Well, he shouldn't be there.

Nothing else is going to happen. Why in the flarging heck get in to a truck with guns to pursue him like he just robbed a bank and beat an elderly person senseless? This isn't like the Texas church shooting where an armed guy sees another armed guy shooting up a church. But this is the crap you inevitably deal with when you have stand your ground laws that muddle what would otherwise be quite obvious law interpretations.

These laws are working exactly as intended. The wealthy* get to do whatever the fuck they want because they have lawyers and connections and the poors** just get shot.

*I swear it's only a coincidence that they are 99% white.

**I swear, it's only a coincidence that they are almost always black when this happens.

As I look at the defenses of the killers of Ahmaud Arbery, I can't help but think of what they might say if the races were reversed. Would they be as eager to defend the killing of an unarmed young white man by two middle-aged black men?

Also, about the Breonna Taylor case, is the right wing still trying to think of some excuse for shooting her?

But you said he wasn't running until he spotted someone on a phone?

As I look at the defenses of the killers of Ahmaud Arbery, I can't help but think of what they might say if the races were reversed. Would they be as eager to defend the killing of an unarmed young white man by two middle-aged black men?

Also, about the Breonna Taylor case, is the right wing still trying to think of some excuse for shooting her?

Maybe I missed something, but who here...or anywhere, is defending his killers? Mostly what I see is discussion regarding the events leading up to it, motivations and speculation as to what charges the killers may face. No one that I can recall is defending the slaying.

These laws are working exactly as intended. The wealthy* get to do whatever the fuck they want because they have lawyers and connections and the poors** just get shot.
I wouldn't say this is a wealthy thing. ZImmerman and these two idiots aren't wealthy.

SYG seems about being able to legalize sane vengeance. Self-defense was already in the books, and SYG extended it to a point where people could act criminally while legally sane, and lethally punish an "offender". In this case, as well as others, we see people inserting themselves into a situation where it was completely unnecessary, and on too many occasions with people that weren't doing anything that could be considered threatening or even illegal.

But you said he wasn't running until he spotted someone on a phone?
Video from across the street shows a person walking to the house, pausing, then walking in... then a few minutes later the person bursts out of the house, running away. To be clear, I am only contesting that he was "out jogging" when he was needlessly assaulted and then killed. Video appears to show him walking and the "jogging" only occurred while he was trying to get away once he was noticed. Why he was running away, I don't know. I do know that he didn't have anything on him, so he wasn't trying to get away with stealing something.

Zimmerman's father was a judge. He certainly wasn't POOR.

I wouldn't say this is a wealthy thing. ZImmerman and these two idiots aren't wealthy.

SYG seems about being able to legalize sane vengeance. Self-defense was already in the books, and SYG extended it to a point where people could act criminally while legally sane, and lethally punish an "offender". In this case, as well as others, we see people inserting themselves into a situation where it was completely unnecessary, and on too many occasions with people that weren't doing anything that could be considered threatening or even illegal.

Now that these killers have been charged, I await the verdict/plea. If they do not end up with jail time, it will be a miscarriage of justice IMO.

Why call the police when you can solve the problem with your 2nd Amendment solution, huh?

Didn’t one of the McMichaels already call the police?

So if the McMichaels did call the police I don't think or believe the intention was to go out and "lynch" a black guy as some people are trying to make out. Everyone in this sorry tale made bad choices.

Back
Top Bottom