• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Black Jogger Gunned Down In The Street

Or blacks are more likely to lie on drug use surveys.
Now why would you think that any particular race is more likely to lie on an anonymous survey than other races?

Blacks are more likely to lie on drug use surveys and say they use drugs even if they don't because they think it's cool.
In real life, there is almost no drug use among blacks. It's the rich white boys who have the money for drugs. The black guys just sell them. :)

I once told my mother I has going to the drugstore. She asked why. I said "To buy drugs".

She didn't think that was funny.

I once told my mother I has going to the drugstore. She asked why. I said "To buy drugs".

Seriously, "drugs store" was my favorite Trailer Park Boys gag.

My pharmacist father AND grandfather both laughed to be called drug dea lers.... Mom and grandmother, not so amused by the claim.

What is the distinction, keeping in mind that white Americans do more illicit drugs than black Americans? There is some indication of what you're arguing here:

But it begs the question as to why the police make most of their drug arrests in low-income minority neighborhoods in the first place when whites do more drugs than people of color. Is that driven by "implicit bias" or racism?

And, again, do you think the same cops would have had the same bias if they saw Timothy Brooks in the same park hanging out by his car, or do you think it more likely that if they stopped at all, it would only be to ask him if his car broke down or he otherwise needs help getting out of there, not if he is selling drugs? Timothy Brooks is a convicted drug dealer from Philadelphia, in case you didn't click the link.

Largely implicit bias, but likely some actual racism as well. The distinction is fuzzy... but here are a few points:

Implicit bias is generally subconscious, and the person holding the bias isn't even aware that they have it. Racism is usually more a conscious recognition that a person thinks one group is of lesser value or worth than another.

Implicit bias is internalized at very young ages, and is frequently a result of books, television, imagery, and other means of communicating "this is how it works". Most Gen-X and older people grew up with black people being portrayed in film and TV as being criminals, gang members, etc. Bloods & Crips were a big deal when I was young, and there was a lot of portrayal of inner city black people being involved in those gangs. That kind of imagery seeps in and forms our subconscious ideas of what to expect from people based on those images. It shifts our subconscious evaluation of "likely behavior". As a result of that sort of thing, there's a general stereotype that all else being equal, black men are more likely to be violent or criminals, and white men are more likely to have made a mistake or have no ill intent. One of the effects of this is that black men who are not violent or criminals tend to be viewed as exceptions rather than representative.

If a person approaches someone with their subconscious expectation, and the person does not meet that expectation, implicit bias allows them to change their behavior toward them - they don't continue to treat that individual black man as if he's a potentially dangerous person and to treat them "normally". Racism, on the other hand, generally doesn't result in altered behavior after interacting with someone.

Another really important element of racial bias as opposed to racism is that bias tends to be held across the population, even within the people toward whom the bias is disadvantaging. Go look up the baby doll test, for example. Children, both black and white, were given two identical dolls, one black and one white. They were then asked to pick which baby is the good baby, and which is the bad baby. Almost universally, all of the children said that the white doll was the good one, and the black one was the bad one - even the black children. The subconscious stereotypes aren't isolated to just one group or the other, they span races.

Potato potato. What drove the imagery--and the intent to implant it--was racism, whether stemming directly from the owners of the institution creating/publishing/broadcasting the imagery (such as with right-wing propaganda outlets like Faux News), or as a result of the editorial board exploiting the racism of their audience by pandering with those images, what drives everything you posted is ultimately racism.

I grew up in St Louis and have heard many times the old, "I'm not a racist. Some of my best friends are niggers. What? That's what they call each other!" bullshit and since the result is the same thing, I don't think the distinction is relevant, particularly in this situation.

Those cops are clearly not acting out of anything other than a core racism, but even if it were more indirect, the effect is the same.

Potato potato. What drove the imagery--and the intent to implant it--was racism, whether stemming directly from the owners of the institution creating/publishing/broadcasting the imagery (such as with right-wing propaganda outlets like Faux News), or as a result of the editorial board exploiting the racism of their audience by pandering with those images, what drives everything you posted is ultimately racism.

Is it your contention that TV and movies so rarely showing women in leadership positions, or as the heroes in an action film are driven by sexism, or are exploiting the sexism of their viewers? Do you think that persistent depictions of women as nurses, primary school teachers, caregivers, and stay-at-home mothers are reflections of blatant sexism?

Is it your contention that TV and movies so rarely showing women in leadership positions, or as the heroes in an action film are driven by sexism, or are exploiting the sexism of their viewers? Do you think that persistent depictions of women as nurses, primary school teachers, caregivers, and stay-at-home mothers are reflections of blatant sexism?

I was watching the oulaw josie wales yesterday. The hero raped women but they liked it. They gave in because he was so cool. The portrayal was sexist in a different way than you've used it, but also the spreading of these stereotypes was also participation in sexism, yet another way the word can be used.

Is it your contention that TV and movies so rarely showing women in leadership positions, or as the heroes in an action film are driven by sexism, or are exploiting the sexism of their viewers?

It depends on the studio head/network head, but yes, it is usually one of those two driving forces behind the decision to greenlight a production. Usually, as in the vast majority of the times, but not always.

I speak from experience over the last forty years in and out of the film and TV world (and marketing/advertising) as a writer/director/producer (among other things).

Do you think that persistent depictions of women as nurses, primary school teachers, caregivers, and stay-at-home mothers are reflections of blatant sexism?

Again, it depends on the studio head/network head, but it is usually either blatant sexism of the person who makes the decision to greenlight a project or it is the decision to exploit the sexism in the target audience. Or, rather, to be more generous; to exploit--with little to no regard for any emotional/moral sensitivities, except as pretense--whatever can be exploited in any given target audience for the purposes of getting the all-important ratings.

Advertisers also contribute and can put their particular fetish on the line, so to speak in direct or indirect ways. Nothing exists in a vacuum within the vast infotainment world. Everything you see has been deliberately crafted--and reviewed and poured over and screwed with and otherwise altered--such that, by the time you actually see anything on the screen it is often radically different--if not entirely unrecognizable--from its original idea.

The vast majority of that tomfuckery is specifically intended to appeal to target audiences, so if that means exploit sexism, then they exploit sexism. But there is also often an even higher guiding hand that goes beyond abject exploitation and into social engineering. That's precisely what the "Hays Code" was all about and the McCarthy witch hunts and the like.

Let's put it this way; whatever you are seeing is deliberate, not just spur of the moment happenstance. Which means that some individual person at some high level of the infotainment food chain has made that call. So it is often either out of a desire to exploit pre-existing bigotry (no matter the flavor), or it is a desire to form/mold/manipulate social mores as well as the primary purpose; entertain enough so that you watch the advertisements and buy the products.

That, of course, is the overall guiding god of all infotainment; buy their advertiser's shit. If you don't follow that maxim first and foremost, it doesn't matter how high up in the food chain you think you are, you're toast.

Potato potato. What drove the imagery--and the intent to implant it--was racism,
Again, it depends on the studio head/network head, but it is usually either blatant sexism of the person who makes the decision to greenlight a project or it is the decision to exploit the sexism in the target audience.
You remind me of this.
e6a.jpg

What does all of this have to do with the killing of Outlaw Ahmed Arbery?

I was watching the oulaw josie wales yesterday. The hero raped women but they liked it. They gave in because he was so cool.
When you're a star an outlaw, they let you do it.

The portrayal was sexist in a different way than you've used it, but also the spreading of these stereotypes was also participation in sexism, yet another way the word can be used.
In what way do you think it is a "participation in sexism"? Also, what do Josie Wales and sexism have to do with the topic of this thread?

Actually, he's dead, with absolutely zero evidence of him having been a thief at all.
He definitely was a thief. He was convicted of stealing a TV in 2017.
What isn't proven is whether he was thieving on the day he was shot dead.

Actually, he's dead, with absolutely zero evidence of him having been a thief at all.

Is there evidence he was? Or are you just trying to gin up something so you can blame the victim of an apparent aggravated assault and felony murder for his own death at the hands of armed vigilantes?

What happened to your “innocent until proven guilty” mantra? Or is thst only whenever someone is accused of a sexual assault?

Glynn County Police Department Incident Report said:
McMichael stated he was in his front yard and saw the suspect from the break-ins "hauling ass" down Satilla Drive toward Burford Drive. McMichael stated he then ran inside his house and called to Travis (McMichael) and said, "Travis the guy is running down the street lets go".

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6884865-Glynn-County-Police-Department-Incident-Report.html
The McMichaels didn't see Arbery trespass that day. They didn't see him commit a crime or have immediate knowledge of one. There had been no reported burglaries in the neighborhood since Travis' gun was stolen from his truck nearly 2 months before, and there were no reported burglaries at the house under construction at all.

So what does the shoplifting charge have to do with the McMichaels and Roddy chasing after Arbery in their trucks and Travis killing him?

Are you implying that Greg McMichael recognized Arbery from that case, judged him guilty of being a burglar despite the absence of burglaries, and hunted him down?

Why is he wearing that winter jacket? On 12/1/2017 at 4PM EST (aka 2000 Zulu) it was balmy 77°F in Brunswick, GA.

He definitely was arrested for stealing 65" TV. Not sure about "convicted"
He was convicted all right.

Baltimore Sun said:
Court records show that Arbery was convicted of shoplifting and of violating probation in 2018. Five years earlier, according to The Brunswick News, he was indicted on charges that he took a handgun to a high school basketball game.
What we know about the shooting death of Ahmaud Arbery

Note that while the Sun only says that he was charged with bringing the guy to a basketball game, he was convicted of that too, or else there would be no basis for the probation violation five years later.

So what does the shoplifting charge have to do with the McMichaels and Roddy chasing after Arbery in their trucks and Travis killing him?
I was just correcting the claim that he wasn't a thief. He took something that wasn't his. That's a thief.

Are you implying that Greg McMichael recognized Arbery from that case, judged him guilty of being a burglar despite the absence of burglaries, and hunted him down?
I wasn't implying anything, I was merely setting the record straight.
That said, I think it is conceivable, albeit unlikely, that he was recognized from that previous case.
However, the mere fact that he was a thief makes it more likely he was looking for stuff to steal (rather than "looking around" or "looking for water") compared to a random person.

What happened to your “innocent until proven guilty” mantra? Or is thst only whenever someone is accused of a sexual assault?
He was proven guilty, given his conviction for that theft.

Unlike all the cases where you and other radfems presume guilt just because a woman claims it.

Barnhill wrote, in his letter, that Arbery had mental health issues, though he does not elaborate on this point, and that he had prior convictions. Court records show that Arbery was convicted of shoplifting and of violating probation in 2018. Five years earlier, according to The Brunswick News, he was indicted on charges that he took a handgun to a high school basketball game.

Those details, Barnhill argued, “help explain his apparent aggressive nature and his possible thought pattern to attack an armed man.”
I can certainly see that being consistent with all the videos. Rednecks shot a mentally ill person who was not thinking straight.
One more reason to let police handle stuff unless it's absolutely unavoidable.

Back
Top Bottom