• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Black Jogger Gunned Down In The Street

For some reason, Arbery loved visiting that lot but not taking anything. Maybe he did this at other lots too, and it wasn't caught on camera. He didn't have permission to be there, and should have known he shouldn't be there, even if not stealing. At least one of the videos does show him jogging away from the site. He was very fit, probably did run. I run in shorts like that sometimes too. Not sure if he had socks that day. I don't think there was any testimony about it other than a photo of him in his Nikes, where you can't see socks, but they could have been low profile. And his house was almost 2 miles away from the lot, so walking sockless that far would have been just as much of a problem for him, if at all, as jogging like that.

Even if they did have the right to citizen arrest him, they didn't have right to use the excessive force that they used. I think the jury got the VERY MANY charges all correct. Malice murder for TM only, felony murder for the other two. I do have some sympathy for Bryan, he didn't know they would pull a gun on Arbery, but he did commit the felonies that led to it.

Not just the jurors, but the judge and all the attorneys (except maybe Bryan's) performed very well in this trial, much better than in another recent one.

Last edited:
They're not supposed to celebrate in the courtroom but I felt exactly how that brotha in the background felt when he heard the first guilty verdict. He was removed from the courtroom but trust me, that's like the final seconds in a game where your team is so far ahead there is no use staying in the stadium. Hopefully, he also managed to beat the traffic out of the parking lot. Just sayin.

That was Arbery's father letting out the celebratory woooo. :yes:

For some reason, Arbery loved visiting that lot but not taking anything.
That's a whole new unsupported assertion.

Frankly, I don't care. The McMichaels got their day in court, were convicted, and I've stopped caring about that part.

What I care about now is the prosecutor who swept this all under the rug. I want to see her explain her behavior, in a public court.
And if it's what it looks like from here, go to prison. Sorry for her "luck" if she winds up in a cell with a few of the criminals she put away over the years.
Tom

Then, to make it all worse, their friends in the "justice" business tried to cover it all up. They deserve serious prison time. But so does, maybe more so, their friend in the prosecution office. Arbery's murderers committed a violent crime in the heat of the moment. The prosecutor who waved it away, and tried to cover it up, also deserves serious prison time.

I don't hear much about her. Anybody know what's happening on that front?

Then, to make it all worse, their friends in the "justice" business tried to cover it all up. They deserve serious prison time. But so does, maybe more so, their friend in the prosecution office. Arbery's murderers committed a violent crime in the heat of the moment. The prosecutor who waved it away, and tried to cover it up, also deserves serious prison time.

I don't hear much about her. Anybody know what's happening on that front?

Well, good.
It's a start anyway.
Tom

They're not supposed to celebrate in the courtroom but I felt exactly how that brotha in the background felt when he heard the first guilty verdict. He was removed from the courtroom but trust me, that's like the final seconds in a game where your team is so far ahead there is no use staying in the stadium. Hopefully, he also managed to beat the traffic out of the parking lot. Just sayin.
I get it. When I heard the verdict, I was sitting on my sofa and I let out a big cheer. I've been texting friends and even ran to my neighbor's home to tell her the verdict. Of course, the Arbery family will always miss their loved one, but at least they can feel as if the jury came to the right conclusion. I can't imagine what it would be like have one's son murdered and then have the murderer get off! Anyway. I'm glad it's over and the family can move on from here. I'm glad that they have such a fantastic support system.

I also told one of my closest Black friends this morning, prior to hearing the verdict, that she shouldn't negatively judge the nearly all White jury because most of us White folks in Georgia aren't racist assholes who judge everyone based on skin color or culture. She understood that prejudice can be an issue for people regardless of race. Sometimes people judge others based on one negative experience. Shouldn't be that way! Nobody wants to be judged based on their skin shade, culture, gender, etc. But, I digress. :)

Jogging is a red herring. I think it is very likely that was introduced to gain popular opinion to force his murder into the courts, as the good ole boys had his buddies cover it up.

The jogging doesn’t matter. He committed at worst a “crime” of trespassing and was hunted down like an animal by armed wannabe vigilantes, and when they brandished a gun, he acted in self defense because he thought they aimed to kill him, which ummm probably because they were shouting and threatening him.

There is no fence to sit on here, jogging or not jogging. They committed a crime of imprisoning him and killing him.

Exactly. Perhaps he was just having a look around (my job used to occasionally take me onto construction sites. I would often look around just out of curiosity), perhaps he was looking for stuff to steal. That doesn't change what happened afterwards--their behavior looked like a lynching, he tried to escape. Thus they provoked it, no self defense.
Lots of people stop and look at construction sites. The owner of the property knew that lots of people stopped at his construction site.

I asked first.
I already answered that
I must have missed it. Would you please quote or link to that post?

Also, what do you mean by "people who are on the fence about this whole thing"? On the fence about what?

Jogging is a red herring. I think it is very likely that was introduced to gain popular opinion to force his murder into the courts, as the good ole boys had his buddies cover it up.

The jogging doesn’t matter. He committed at worst a “crime” of trespassing and was hunted down like an animal by armed wannabe vigilantes, and when they brandished a gun, he acted in self defense because he thought they aimed to kill him, which ummm probably because they were shouting and threatening him.

There is no fence to sit on here, jogging or not jogging. They committed a crime of imprisoning him and killing him.
Right. Even if you postulate for the sake of argument that he was responsible for the burglaries from before, that still does not justify the attempted citizen's arrest, which is clearly aggravated assault in this case. At that point, felony murder is pretty much open and shut.

Exactly. Perhaps he was just having a look around (my job used to occasionally take me onto construction sites. I would often look around just out of curiosity), perhaps he was looking for stuff to steal. That doesn't change what happened afterwards--their behavior looked like a lynching, he tried to escape. Thus they provoked it, no self defense.
Lots of people stop and look at construction sites. The owner of the property knew that lots of people stopped at his construction site.
I am pretty sure I mentioned this, too, like 20 pages or whatever ago...When I built my house a lot of white people in the neighborhood stopped by, regularly, unannounced, etc etc. One guy who was unemployed liked to stop by and drink beer with some of the guys. Other people went through the property often (technically trespassing) to look at the pond or go fishing.

I am pretty sure I mentioned this, too, like 20 pages or whatever ago...When I built my house a lot of white people in the neighborhood stopped by, regularly, unannounced, etc etc. One guy who was unemployed liked to stop by and drink beer with some of the guys. Other people went through the property often (technically trespassing) to look at the pond or go fishing.
Yep. I remember when I was a kid, they built a house on an empty lot down the block from me. A number of the neighborhood men, including my dad, used to stop by and check on the progress, checking to see if the house was 'up to their standards' which was funny as it was an extremely modest neighborhood......Dad didn't wear socks in the summer, except when he went to work or otherwise had to dress up. I'm like him: hot footed. I rarely wear socks unless it's really, really, really cold or sometimes if I'm hiking I do, if I worry about picking up ticks. Socks don't protect against ticks, but they make it easier to spot them, sometimes....

What we know about jury deliberations in the Ahmaud Arbery killing trial - CNN
Nine White women, two White men and one Black man served on the jury, with two White women and one White man serving as jury alternates, according to a CNN analysis of juror data. Having only one Black juror was a key complaint from prosecutors and Arbery's family, as Glynn County's population is about 69% White and 26% Black, according to 2019 data from the US Census Bureau. Arbery was Black and the defendants are White.

Defense attorneys also took issue with there being fewer older White men without college degrees in the juror pool, saying the demographic was underrepresented.
Welcome to the club.

Ahmaud Arbery case: The charges each defendant was convicted of

Defendants: Travis McMichael, Greg McMichael, William “Roddie” Bryan
  1. Malice murder: TMM
  2. Felony murder: TMM, GMM
  3. Felony murder: TMM, GMM, WRB
  4. Felony murder: TMM, GMM, WRB
  5. Felony murder: TMM, GMM, WRB
  6. Aggravated assault: TMM, GMM
  7. Aggravated assault: TMM, GMM, WRB
  8. False imprisonment: TMM, GMM, WRB
  9. Criminal attempt to commit a felony: TMM, GMM, WRB
TMM: 9, GMM: 8, WRB: 6
What are malice murder and felony murder?

Malice Murder: An intentional murder that is willful and premeditated.

Felony Murder: A killing that occurs during the commission or attempted commission of a felony. Intent is not necessary. In this case, the underlying felonies were aggravated assault, false imprisonment and criminal attempt to commit a felony.
[/list]

The two really, really sad things about this case: A young man was killed in a horrible manner, for basically..being a black man. That's a terrible, terrible tragedy for all who knew and loved him and for all of us who knew of him.

The other really, really sad thing: The men who killed Aubrey honestly felt they were doing the right thing, that they were justified and had a reason and a duty to do what they did.

Both are terrible indictments on the current state of affairs in the US.

There are socks that are very low profile. Light, breathable, and very on-topic! This matters! Almost as much as the convictions. Blisters on my two runs without socks. That is anecdotal and something you can take to the bank. :D
I can't believe police and prosecutors and the jury all overlooked this crucial piece of evidence that would surely, surely have resulted in vastly different verdicts. smh

The two really, really sad things about this case: A young man was killed in a horrible manner, for basically..being a black man. That's a terrible, terrible tragedy for all who knew and loved him and for all of us who knew of him.

The other really, really sad thing: The men who killed Aubrey honestly felt they were doing the right thing, that they were justified and had a reason and a duty to do what they did.

Both are terrible indictments on the current state of affairs in the US.
You forgot another sad thing about this case - the number of people who felt those killers were justified.

clearly was not trying to kill you

What made that clear? Was it the part where he was being chased by civilians he didn't know? Was it the part where one of the said civilians brandished a shotgun as he rounded one of their cars that cut him off? What part made that clear to you?
The part where they did not shoot him immediately and told him to stop instead.
But that doesn't change the fact that his killers committed murder. They chased him, boxed him in, then shot him.
You omitted a part where Arbery attacked a guy with a shotgun.

clearly was not trying to kill you

What made that clear? Was it the part where he was being chased by civilians he didn't know? Was it the part where one of the said civilians brandished a shotgun as he rounded one of their cars that cut him off? What part made that clear to you?
The part where they did not shoot him immediately and told him to stop instead.
But that doesn't change the fact that his killers committed murder. They chased him, boxed him in, then shot him.
You omitted a part where Arbery attacked a guy with a shotgun.
You missed the part where three armed guys in trucks attacked Arbery first.

Back
Top Bottom