• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Breakdown In Civil Order

I use my EV for every day commuting, I plug it in to the 110 outlet in the garage every night, where it has 12+ hours to charge.
That's a good option for reducing carbon emissions if you live in upstate NY where most overnight power generation is hydroelectric.

Around here, your strategy would result in a coal powered car that was worse for carbon emissions than an ICE vehicle.

The best individual strategy is highly dependent on location, and certainly isn't one-size-fits-all.

I use my EV for every day commuting, I plug it in to the 110 outlet in the garage every night, where it has 12+ hours to charge.
That's a good option for reducing carbon emissions if you live in upstate NY where most overnight power generation is hydroelectric.

Around here, your strategy would result in a coal powered car that was worse for carbon emissions than an ICE vehicle.

The best individual strategy is highly dependent on location, and certainly isn't one-size-fits-all.

NY/PA

But by contrast, you could use solar power because you don’t have cloud cover 50% of the time…

NY/PA

But by contrast, you could use solar power because you don’t have cloud cover 50% of the time…
I plug it in to the 110 outlet in the garage every night
every night

You're right. You don't have cloud cover 50% of the time, even at night.

Now, is there anything else you don't have at night?

Hmmmm.....

And now Anchor Brewing is coming back! Things are certainly looking up in the last solvent state.
Yeah, thanks to a billionaire, who are, as we all know, the scourge of our existence. He's probably a Republican, too. :mad:

Seriously, though, I'm glad to see it continue and I hope it can be made self sustaining. That won't be an easy task in SF. And, unfortunately, it's survival won't be enough to make a dent in the problems plaguing SF.

And now Anchor Brewing is coming back! Things are certainly looking up in the last solvent state.
Yeah, thanks to a billionaire, who are, as we all know, the scourge of our existence. He's probably a Republican, too. :mad:

Seriously, though, I'm glad to see it continue and I hope it can be made self sustaining. That won't be an easy task in SF. And, unfortunately, it's survival won't be enough to make a dent in the problems plaguing SF.
I think he’s one of the nice billionaires.
Hamdi Ulukaya
A Kurd from Turkey. Did the American Dream thing. Made yogurt in Idaho and paid twice the minimum wage. Idahoans screamed about Brown people. Signed up for Bill Gates Giving Pledge. And, he was on the Ellen DeGeneres Show. Just to name a few.

Yeah, thanks to a billionaire, who are, as we all know, the scourge of our existence.
Well, the previous owners were Sapporo Holdings, who ran it to the ground doing "standard business practice" bullshit to trim costs. I'm willing to give Ulukaya the benefit of the doubt.

He's probably a Republican, too
No, he's a decent guy as far as I can tell. Runs Tent Partnership, which helps connect recent refugees to job training and placements, started a weird yogurt war with Russia over their anti-LGBT discrimination, and advocates for wage reform in New York and beyond.

No one is expecting a microbrewery to "save the town". But the health of the community tends to improve when people do things, as opposed to just sitting on their asses, whining about the governor to no end or purpose.

Well, its good to hear that some billionaires have redeeming value after all. Kinda refreshing given how frequently people here wish and cheer for their untimely deaths.

Ah.

Well, not my kind of humor. They certainly aren't the most sympathetic figures, and there's no morally acceptable way to make that kind of money, but murder is also a crime.

And now Anchor Brewing is coming back!
Good news indeed, Anchor Steam has been one of my favorite beers ever since I moved to California. It is on the more expensive side so I don’t drink it often but when I do buy it, it’s something to savor.

Things are certainly looking up in the last solvent state.
What now? Hasn’t the great governor of California steered the state into an almost $45. Billion deficit, the highest unemployment rate of any state and an ever increasing “homeless” problem?

Gasoline is heavily taxed. Where do you see subsidies?
Consumers pay the tax at the pump, the companies get the subsidies. Totally logical.
NY/PA

Here in PA our local power plant is steam powered. (it says here)
The Susquehanna Steam Electric Station: the electricity is generated by steam. The steam is generated by a nuke.
But we are a big coal producing state, So I can't speak for the rest of the state.

I remember seeing an industrial film in 5th grade (early 60s) about the plant being built. The power will be so cheap they won't need to meter it.

Ah.

Well, not my kind of humor. They certainly aren't the most sympathetic figures, and there's no morally acceptable way to make that kind of money, but murder is also a crime.
I'm not convinced they meant to be humorous. Hard to tell sometimes.

There are almost 200 billionaires just in California. How in the world did you have time to investigate all of them and declare they made their money via a morally unacceptable way? Specifically, what sort of "morally unacceptable" thing did Ulukaya do to make his billion dollars?

Ah.

There are almost 200 billionaires just in California. How in the world did you have time to investigate all of them and declare they made their money via a morally unacceptable way? Specifically, what sort of "morally unacceptable" thing did Ulukaya do to make his billion dollars?
Here is a Robert Reich video directly related to billionaire morality.

Ah.

Because if you have a billion dollars, you either inherited it and thus are living in unearned luxury, or you "made it yourself" by finding some way to con thousands of workers out of most of the value they produced for you, and are living in unearned luxury. No one actually needs a billion dollars, let alone needs it more than whoever they scammed to get it.

Do you seriously believe that if we launched an investigation into Chobani, we would find no moral misconduct? No straight up illegalities, for that matter? I was being charitable in my take on Ulukaya, but I can put on the skeptic's glasses if you'd really like.

Back
Top Bottom