• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

California Doing California Things

Plant based coated paper for packaging.

Looks interesting.
One of the worst things are those bags that chips(crisps) come in. They are impossible to recycle, because of the layers of foil and paper.

I found this recent article on the ongoing fate of the CARE program rollout interesting, but not exactly encouraging:

CARE Court Was Supposed to Help Those Hardest to Treat. Here's How It's Going

Kaitlyn Willison, an attorney with Legal Assistance to the Elderly in San Francisco who represents CARE Court participants, said the first step might involve combing the streets to search for people, which takes time. Once the person is found, the next hurdle is building trust.

“That means I need to see them two, three, four times before they go to court,” Willison said. “And the timelines just aren’t set up in a way that allows us as respondents’ counsel enough time to build that really precious trust that we need to best advocate for our clients.”

But Jain, with Disability Rights California, is skeptical. One of those challenges is baked into the nature of the program itself, he said: that it has the potential to veer away from voluntary agreements and into coerced care.

“The bottom line is that the court is a coercive program,” he said.
For Judge Begert in San Francisco, coerced treatment is very much “what we’re trying to avoid.” But, he acknowledged that changing the cultures of both the court system and the mental health care system is no easy task.

“Getting people to change their mindset in a culture that’s very well-formed and static is a hard thing to do,” he said. “You bring the healthcare system into the criminal justice system — or the justice system in general — it starts to act like the justice system. So, that’s always a challenge.”

But the devil is in the details It's worth reading through the whole thing, even if you aren't Californian. It's likely that, as is often the case, our programs will be used as models for programs in other states as well, if they haven't been already.

The alternatives to the plastic bags aren't exactly stellar examples of environmentalism. IIRC, paper bags are more energy intensive to make than the single use plastic bags, and require trees. The washable ones get nasty fast, and have to be washed pretty frequently. IIRC, the end result of that is they also require more energy overall than plastic.
I’ve been using canvas bags for ten years or more. They don’t get nasty. What are you doing, throwing raw meat in there? I get a few onion skins to shake out from time to time and I do wash them every couple months just on ceremony.
What plastic bags I might accumulate I use to wrap paint brushes and rollers if I need to use them the next day.
My wife has several bags she's gotten from WWF for donations. They seem to be made of the same plastic material that tarpaulins are made of. She's been using them for years and has never had to throw one out.

For paint rollers, kitchen plastic wrap works great for that.

Paint rollers (how often do people need this, anyway?) also go just fine in one of the bags the actual grocery products come in. I rinse out things like the rice bag and cereal liner and use those for things like paint rollers or when I want a trash bag in the car or what not. They also work for collecting the kitchen trash, or the blood-soaked rags you find yourself needing to dispose of after you catch the neighbor steeling your wifi. I have not once in the last 15 years said, “I wish I had a plastic grocery bag”.

A lot of the posts from Loren et al just spound like excuses, not actual needs.

Everything is virtue signalling for MAGA. Signaling a left turn, virtue signalling! Leaving a tip, virtue signaling! Holding a door open, virtue signaling!! Using public transportation, virtue signaling!!!!
While there is definitely a problem with the right calling things virtue signaling there also is a problem with virtue signaling--by both sides.
Is there any actual problem with virtue signaling? We solved enough issues that we can worry about virtue signaling? I don't support virtue signaling, but as far as troubles in my life... people that virtue signal... really far down the list.
It's much easier to do virtue signals than actually do good.
It is as easy to commit an act of virtue signaling (and as useless) as it is to complain about it. On both sides. :rolleyesa:
The problem comes when the virtue signaling imposes upon others.

Insufferable prick Gavin Newsom hates democracy;

Gov. Gavin Newsom has taken aim at Huntington Beach with a new law that prevents the governing body overseeing elections in California from requiring voter identification at the polls. In March, voters in the beachside city approved a measure requiring residents to show valid identification when casting a ballot. The measure, which impacts city elections, is expected to go into effect in 2026.
News

Back
Top Bottom