• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

California Doing California Things

You know, Hawaii's pretty liberal. How come there's no threads on how shitty Hawaii is? Or Vermont? Man, fuck Vermont, what a hell hole. Their "curry" isn't even real Vermont.

You know, Hawaii's pretty liberal. How come there's no threads on how shitty Hawaii is? Or Vermont? Man, fuck Vermont, what a hell hole. Their "curry" isn't even real Vermont.
Pffft. Don't even get me started on Vermont, with those fucking capitalist hippie pigs Ben & Jerry. :angryfist:

Another beauty from California, a state with an appalling record in education;

California is close to passing a law that could cut homework and alleviate stress for pupils and parents. The Healthy Homework Act, which has passed both chambers of the state legislature but must still be signed off by the governor, asks teachers to consider whether any homework assigned requires parental support and access to technology. Pilar Schiavo, an assemblywoman, wrote the bill after a conversation with her nine-year-old daughter, who asked whether she could “ban homework”.

The Times
For the record, I oppose the Healthy Homework act. It passed almost unanimously, though, with broad support from Republicans and Democrats alike, so it is almost certain to be enacted.
I don't know the details of the act, but I strongly oppose the entire concept of homework. If you want children to do more hours of schoolwork than there are hours in the school day, you need to extend the school day.

School time is for schoolwork; Home time is not. Parents are not schoolteachers, and it is unreasonable to treat them as unpaid and unqualified teaching assistants, particularly given their very variable quality in the role.

Time to rest, and to play, are important. Stealing that time to make up for the inadequacies of the school system is not acceptable.

For the record, I never did homework. I wasn't aware that what I was doing was a protest; I didn't seek any kind of publicity, or make any fuss. I just didn't do it. Got lots of punishments. Still didn't do it.
Out of curiosity, what line of work are you in, bilby?
Right now, I am a bus driver working for Brisbane City Council. Best job ever for job satisfaction, and while it pays less than my earlier roles, it also carries less responsibility for personnel management (which I am good at but hate), and pays by the minute at 150-300% for overtime, which brings my total income very close to my former salary, for fewer actual hours worked.

Before I got my heavy vehicle licence (just before COVID), I was a Staff Software Engineer for IBM for about fifteen years, providing L2 support for Cognos FPM systems, having joined Cognos a few months before they were acquired by IBM.

Prior to that, I was Demand Planning Manager at Australia's largest manufacturer of solid dose prescription pharmaceuticals, a position I rose to having started with that company as a goods inwards labourer, unloading trucks, and working up through operations/purchasing, factory scheduling, and export coordination roles.

I finished school with A levels in Biology, Chemistry, and Physics; I was consistently at the top of my classes in the sciences, to the fury of my biology teacher in particular, who once said "You haven't handed in a single homework assignment this year; Why should I let you continue in my class next year?" to which I responded "Because I have learned more biology here than any other student". He said that if I didn't get the highest mark in the school on the end of year exam, I was out; I did, and I wasn't.

Could I have done more with my potential? Certainly. Would I have been happier? Probably not. Would I have been wealthier? Almost certainly not. A PhD (or even an MA or BSc) is a great way to earn the respect of a small circle of academic peers, but it ain't the path to wealth, and is no guarantee of happiness.

My dad was a dedicated academic and researcher all of his working life (and still does some research at 86, having secured lifetime access to the University libraries as a condition of his retirement). He seems pretty happy, but he was never wealthy - under the "You aren't a success until you drive a more expensive car than your father" test, I was a success at 19, while working hauling armoured HV electrical cable into muddy ditches on building sites.

I, like Arnold J Rimmer, proudly boast both a BSc and an SSc*

*Silver Swimming certificate

Last edited:
Ah, so would you advise most students, "Don't do your homework, just pass the exams and con your teachers"? Would that, in general, work for most of them, you think?

Ah, so would you advise most students, "Don't do your homework, just pass the exams and con your teachers"? Would that, in general, work for most of them, you think?
No, I would advise them "Don't do homework, it's a technique used to normalise the idea of overworking in adult life, and leads to stress, burnout, and the erosion of your happiness".

I work in order to live. I refuse to live in order to work, and I am vehemently opposed to teaching children that to do so is normal, reasonable, and sensible.

As I said earlier, schoolwork is for school. If more schoolwork is required than fits in the current hours, extend school hours.

I don't drive a bus outside work hours. If more driving is required, I expect them to negotiate that with me, extend the work hours if I choose to participate, and to pay me (including at least an additional 50% for the inconvenience, and more on weekends, nights, and public holidays) for the imposition.

Homework is training kids that it's OK for the boss to impose on their personal time; Indeed, that they do not have personal time, should the boss choose to deny it.

There oughta be a law.

Oh, wait, there is a law.

just pass the exams and con your teachers
I never conned anybody, no fraud was involved of any kind. Does "con" mean something different in American English?
When I went to school (in the US) homework was graded and part of your end grade. If I didn't turn in homework I would get a 0 or an "F" that counted toward my overall grade.

just pass the exams and con your teachers
I never conned anybody, no fraud was involved of any kind. Does "con" mean something different in American English?
When I went to school (in the US) homework was graded and part of your end grade. If I didn't turn in homework I would get a 0 or an "F" that counted toward my overall grade.
That sort of thing was just starting to creep in to the English school system as I reached the end of my schooling, as part of a transition from the two-tier (GCE and CSE) system to the universal (GCSE) system.

During that transition, some exams were combined, to what was called a "16+" exam, the grade for which was given on both scales; A student who scored sufficiently highly to pass the GCE got two certificates, one for the GCE at grades A, B, or C, and another for the CSE at Grade 1; Or a GCE grade D and CSE grade 2, and so on down to the lowest CSE grade.

The English Language 16+ did have a coursework mark included in the final grade, and I consequently scored a 'U' (for 'Ungradeable') and got no certificate at all. I repeated the course in the lower sixth, when study periods were a part of regular school hours, and passed GCE English that year.

I did this because I was told that, without GCE English, getting any job out of school would be virtually impossible.

As it turned out, exactly zero people have ever looked at my GCE English certificate other than myself and my family; And in the late 1980s and early '90s, getting a job in the North of England was virtually impossible for anyone, regardless of any qualifications they might have.

Personally I prefer an exam, to determine a student's knowledge at a given date, over a long-term review of their coursework, though I recognise that some able students do poorly in exam conditions.

Including homework (which is necessarily unsupervised by the teaching staff) in a final course grade, strikes me as an opportunity for cheating on a massive scale, with students able to submit work done by, or heavily influenced by, friends or familiy members, as well as (or instead of) their own work.

Last edited:
The authoritarians in California just keep hammering away at us;

Speeding-related traffic deaths are on the rise in California. State Senator Scott Wiener hopes his bill will change that. "When we have the level of death on our roads - more than 4,000 people in California and escalating, it's gone up in the last five years, that's a policy choice," Wiener said. Senate Bill 961 is heading to Governor Gavin Newsom's desk. San Francisco Senator Scott Wiener authored the bill. It would mandate speed warning technology in cars. "It requires that for new cars starting in 2030 to have to be equipped with existing technology that exist now, that alerts people just one alert if they are going more than 10 miles an hour over the speed limit," Wiener said. If this bill is signed by the Governor, California will be the first state in the country to enact this kind of safety equipment.

News

They just sit around thinking up news ways to torment us.

Speeding-related traffic deaths are on the rise in California. State Senator Scott Wiener hopes his bill will change that. "When we have the level of death on our roads - more than 4,000 people in California and escalating, it's gone up in the last five years, that's a policy choice," Wiener said. Senate Bill 961 is heading to Governor Gavin Newsom's desk. San Francisco Senator Scott Wiener authored the bill. It would mandate speed warning technology in cars. "It requires that for new cars starting in 2030 to have to be equipped with existing technology that exist now, that alerts people just one alert if they are going more than 10 miles an hour over the speed limit," Wiener said. If this bill is signed by the Governor, California will be the first state in the country to enact this kind of safety equipment.

News

One measly warning chime? Shit. It should send a notification to law enforcement.

Don’t worry. Soon all Californians will be mandated into driverless cars. That will solve all traffic problems.

News

Speed limits are already the law. If you're not an illegal driver, why would it affect you?

News

One measly warning chime? Shit. It should send a notification to law enforcement.
Also send the car into auto-park mode and then turn it off. To get the car back from impound, you have to watch Red Asphalt again and retake the driving test.

Confession; if I had to have a car with that chime, I would create a team cheer for my husband and I to shout out, and then put scorekeeping magnets on our fridge when we get home to compare at the end of every day. We could even re-use the little wood-chuck magnets and score sheet we had for a long time to compete on who could shoot the most varmints in a week.

Whatever happened to those breathalyzer ignition interlocks? Presumably, those are just as, if not more, insufferable than speeding chimes.

Whatever happened to those breathalyzer ignition interlocks? Presumably, those are just as, if not more, insufferable than speeding chimes.
I believe they are still used for people who had DUIs. I could be wrong, though, no personal experience, just public stories.

Back
Top Bottom