• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Can We Discuss Sex & Gender / Transgender People?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. Why is it so important to know what's in people's pants. Does the genitalia of the clerk at Safeway really matter to checking out your groceries? Do you think they're going to push your items passed the scanner with their penis? It must be hell to worry about this so much.
I really get tired of this motte and bailey.

Nobody with an ounce of humanity gives a crap about the sex of the person at Safeway. Sex is irrelevant at Safeway.

How about, instead of the absurdism of the clerk at Safeway, you address a situation where sex actually does matter... like in a rape shelter, or in prison, or in a middle-school gym shower? How about you address situations like the WiSpa incident?
It is not a motte and bailey fallacy because many people clearly have a problem with interacting with trans people.

You know, I have some sympathy for those who struggle with how to respond appropriately when one encounters some whose superficial appearance —style of clothing and hair cut and possibly makeup or jewelry is at odds with perceived differing characteristics. On one hand, one may be a bit surprised or amused to see a very large, muscular man gently stroking a kitten or blowing soap bubbles —or wearing a pink tutu. A small, slight woman might be confusing to some if they see her wield an axe or throw a large drunk out of a bar or shoot hoops with big, tall guys. In fact, that might elicit some hostile reactions, even unconsciously. Or very vocally.

I’ve encountered people whose sex and/or gender was not immediately apparent—or even certain after a few short conversations. But so what? Their sex, their gender or how they chose to express it was absolutely not pertinent nor was it any of my business. If I am honest, I will admit that privately, on a couple of occasions, I speculated —because the lack of uncertainty made ME uncomfortable. For most of us, we are simply more comfortable with certainty than not. Fortunately, growing up doesn’t stop at sge 18 or 21 or 25 or 45–not if you are doing it right. It took me longer than I’d like to admit to recognize that my lack of absolute certainty about some one else’s body/business was my problem and not theirs and it was my job to accept them as they were, even if they did not fit into some small set of well defined boxes I had in my head. Their job wasn’t to make me feel comfortable but to be themselves. And, after all, I’ve never much liked it when someone tried to put me in a box either.
It depends on the situation. In 98% of the situations where I interact with someone, I give exactly zero fucks how they present (assuming it's appropriate for the venue). My spouse routinely paints his fingernails with prismatic and glittery polish. He has a collection of rainbow titanium things, including eating utensils, chop sticks, scissors, hair comb, knives, flashlights, and firearms. He brings home flowers to brighten up the place - they're not even for me! Back in college I dated a guy who regularly wore long skirts - not kilts, actual skirts. I went to high school with men who wore make-up and women who wore steel-toed boots.

I do not care how people present in the vast majority of situations.

Where I do end up with some hesitation is when a penis ends up in the girls showers in middle school. Or when a penis gets hosed with female prisoners. My care is for situations where sex actually does matter.
Penis in the shower.

You make it sound like boys in middle or high school can just up and say they are trans, the school will open up the girls locker room to them gleefully, and then erects boys will be taking showers with the girls, none the wiser.
What exactly do you think is preventing this from happening?
You mean other than reasonable judgment? This isn't some sort hack that must be obliged.

"Reasonable Judgment"? You know of some way to reliably determine the gender identity of someone that doesn't require self-identification?

I can't help but presume you must mean that, otherwise Jarhyn would be criticizing you for supporting a system that makes imperfect assumptions about gender identity and sex instead of thumbs-uping your post.

Please, do share with the rest of the class.

I am honestly curious what foolproof method exists to distinguish between transwomen who want access to their gender-appropriate facilities and boys who can claim to be transwomen for access to their "gender-appropriate" facilities.

Or when a penis gets housed with female prisoners. My care is for situations where sex actually does matter.
You do realize women rape women in prison and men rape men in prison, don't you?
Sure, but neither of those is capable of ending up with an unwanted pregnancy. And generally speaking, a female has a decent chance of being able to fight off another female; a male has a decent chance of being able to fight off another male. A female has a very low chance of being able to fight off a male; a male has an extremely high chance of being able to fight off a female.

Additionally, the propensity to sexual violence is extremely one-sided. This is not at all a case where the risk levels are the same.

You mean other than reasonable judgment? This isn't some sort hack that must be obliged.

"Reasonable Judgment"? You know of some way to reliably determine the gender identity of someone that doesn't require self-identification?

I can't help but presume you must mean that, otherwise Jarhyn would be criticizing you for supporting a system that makes imperfect assumptions about gender identity and sex instead of thumbs-uping your post.

I am honestly curious what foolproof method exists to distinguish between transwomen who want access to their gender-appropriate facilities and boys who can claim to be transwomen for access to their "gender-appropriate" facilities.
Jebus! We are talking about a school. A school where there are lots of students, that have been attending these schools for years! The teachers know the kids, the staff knows the kids. There is a sense of humanity that exists in the real world that involves the real world history of the students at these schools, instead of these scary hypotheticals where some random person magically appears before a principle (with a beard while wearing a skirt) and demands access to the girls' locker room because they are trans... and the staff is shaking in their boots over potential lawsuits if they don't abide this person they've never before seen in their life.

@Jarhyn is trying really, really hard to convince people that there is no difference at all between males and females except for genitals. As long as someone has a tower wrapped around their nethers, it's nothing more than a coin-flip whether they're male or female. @Jarhyn is very deeply invested in denying that sex is relevant to anything.
There is "no difference" because "males" and "females" are made up fuzzy categories that don't actually mean "is rapist" like you seem to think.

It is coincidental to any thing you have expressed wish to filter on except "who is filtered by the mechanics of how someone enjoys fucking", and that only enters in when a mutual acceptance of shallow and deep factors known thus far has facilitated mutual discussion of "what is in the pants".
"Made up fuzzy categories" that are a fundamental element of every single mammalian species on the planet, and the only way that offspring can be produced.

This right here, @Jarhyn, this is ideology. Sex is NOT "made up" nor is it "fuzzy". You continuously imply that sex is some weird, almost random assignation that is irrelevant and completely arbitrary. That is flat-earth thinking, it's completely anti-science. Male and female are well-defined, well-documented, and extremely clear categories. The existence of some very few deleterious medical conditions that are not *unambiguous* at a glance does not in any way negate the clarity of those categories. And ambiguous does not mean "in between" nor does it mean "third sex". Each individual is either male or female, even those with DSDs. And once again, for those in the back, DSDs have NOTHING AT ALL to do with gender identity.

Agreed. Why is it so important to know what's in people's pants. Does the genitalia of the clerk at Safeway really matter to checking out your groceries? Do you think they're going to push your items passed the scanner with their penis? It must be hell to worry about this so much.
I really get tired of this motte and bailey.

Nobody with an ounce of humanity gives a crap about the sex of the person at Safeway. Sex is irrelevant at Safeway.

How about, instead of the absurdism of the clerk at Safeway, you address a situation where sex actually does matter... like in a rape shelter, or in prison, or in a middle-school gym shower? How about you address situations like the WiSpa incident?
It is not a motte and bailey fallacy because many people clearly have a problem with interacting with trans people.
It's a motte and bailey in this thread.

Isn't it a little bit simpler if I just tell you I'm a trans-woman? The semantics stuff can get kind of stupid.

If I tell you that I am transgender, then you know what I was born looking like.

Again, I don't have to give you that information. A lot of transgender people get tired of these kinds of conversations, and they just go full stealth. I can't say that I can blame them, either. Transphobes can be pretty unhinged. However, I prefer to not avoid things.

Of course it's easier. And for people who pass even moderately well (they don't even have to pass perfectly, just clearly be trying), there's no need in the vast majority of situations for anyone to be bothered. If someone even half-passably looks like they're a woman, I'm not going to bat an eyelash in the shower unless they whip out their junk. :D
Oh, I prefer looking at guys, to be honest. They are substantially better-looking to me.

Jebus! We are talking about a school. A school where there are lots of students, that have been attending these schools for years! The teachers know the kids, the staff knows the kids. There is a sense of humanity that exists in the real world that involves the real world history of the students at these schools, instead of these scary hypotheticals where some random person magically appears before a principle (with a beard while wearing a skirt) and demands access to the girls' locker room because they are trans... and the staff is shaking in their boots over potential lawsuits if they don't abide this person they've never before seen in their life.

Why do you believe that some random new person needs to show up for this to be an issue?

A male student has been in the school for years. That student is starting to go through puberty and now claims to be trans.
What knowledge known by the teachers and staff is both necessary and sufficient to be able to 99.9%+ reliably determine whether or not the student in question is a transgirl or a naughty, naughty boy?

Why should I worry about "passing" at all? I don't want to. I have no qualms over people knowing that I am a transgender woman. I am not obligated to wear make-up, and I am not obligated to wear clothing that does not serve a function. I am a person that likes to work and play. I don't feel right if I'm not dirty and smelly.
I ask because people like Jarhyn are obsessed with genitals, and believe that the only way people know some people are trans is by 'looking at what is inside their pants'. People like Jarhyn seem to believe nobody would ever know somebody else is trans unless their privacy has been invaded.
Huh! you're the one that keeps insisting that genitalia is the only deciding factor and the rest is just "thoughts in heads".
Have you read anything I've ever written, ever?

Gender identity is a thought in your head, not sex. Humans have sexed bodies.

Why should I worry about "passing" at all? I don't want to. I have no qualms over people knowing that I am a transgender woman. I am not obligated to wear make-up, and I am not obligated to wear clothing that does not serve a function. I am a person that likes to work and play. I don't feel right if I'm not dirty and smelly.
I ask because people like Jarhyn are obsessed with genitals, and believe that the only way people know some people are trans is by 'looking at what is inside their pants'. People like Jarhyn seem to believe nobody would ever know somebody else is trans unless their privacy has been invaded.
Huh! you're the one that keeps insisting that genitalia is the only deciding factor and the rest is just "thoughts in heads".
Another aspect is this conflation between "knowing" and "assuming".

People cannot know short of looking, what is in someone's pants, and that whatever-it-is is merely a bad proxy for whatever it is you really want to know unless that thing is exactly "do they have a penis?" Which is something nobody is entitled to know and which it is exceedingly rude to assume. People can assume and probably be right, but it's still exceedingly rude.
The only people on this thread who bring up genitals consistently appear to be you and Jarhyn high fiving each other that other people are obsessed with genitals while you two talk about them relentlessly.

Likewise, there is not one singular difference between "men" and "women". There are many differences, and the differences will depend upon the men and women (or man and woman) in question.
Let's try something more explicit.

What do transmen have in common with males that they do NOT have in common with females, and is NOT based on stereotypes?
That was not the question Gen55 asked, and not the question I was answering. It is not more explicit, it is an entirely different question.

Why do you believe that some random new person needs to show up for this to be an issue?

A male student has been in the school for years. That student is starting to go through puberty and now claims to be trans.
What knowledge known by the teachers and staff is both necessary and sufficient to be able to 99.9%+ reliably determine whether or not the student in question is a transgirl or a naughty, naughty boy?
You mean other than, excluding the parents, having teachers, who have been around the child more than anyone else and that experience to draw from? Other than that?

Have you tried a dictionary? I obviously recommend Merriam-Websters:

Merriam-Websters : woman

3: distinctively feminine nature
Hooray! Feminine gay males are women whether they like it or not!!!

d(1): one possessing in high degree the qualities considered distinctive of manhood (such as courage, strength, and vigor)
Woohoo! All females who serve in the military are men whether they like it or not!

You're taking euphemistic definitions that take poetic license and assuming that they're somehow useful in this discussion.
I am not. I am showing that there is more than one accepted definition for the word in question. In both cases where I did so, there was more than one definition for me to choose, but I only needed one to prove the point. In both cases, however, I chose a definition that it seems could be used to reference trans persons.

Setting aside the obvious idiocy implied by believing you are a completely accurate trans detector
When you replied to this post, did you spend time and effort conjuring the most dishonest strawman you've ever concocted, or do you have a natural talent for it?
unless you're planning to offer your magical detection services
Being able to correctly sex most people from looking at them is not magic.

to various world governments, any formal persecution of trans people
"Formal persecution of trans people". I can't even.

requires a method of determining their biological sex should it be contested. In a court of law, some guy saying "she looks like a secret man to me" is not going to be sufficient cause to violate someone's civil rights, if she doesn't agree that this is the case; an objective test is required. Given the nature of the question, either non-consensual disrobing or non-consensual medical testing are the only real possibilities. In which case we're trading one set of rights violations for another, for no other reason than that a person has been accused of a crime.
I don't know what you think you are talking about, but if you are insisting that it violates the civil rights for an adult human male to be called 'he', I disagree.

I don't know how things are in Australia, but in my country, excepting immediate emergencies, we're not supposed to be subject to unlawful search, nor ever punished for a crime in advance of being charged and found guilty of it.
What....crime?

I am trying to figure out whether you are angry at all transgender people or just certain individuals.
Mostly, I'm angry at the ideology being peddled.

I have heard from others here as well that it is the trans ideology that is the problem, but I am nut sure what is meant by "trans ideology". Can you elaborate upon what you mean by it, and whether you think anyone here is engaging in, or pushing that ideology?
For a rough summary:

• The catechism "Transwomen are Women, Transmen are Men" and act as if it's actually completely 100% literally true.
  • The argument that sex is a spectrum, and the use of people with disorders of sexual development as a foil even though they have nothing to do with gender identity.
  • The argument that self-declaration should be the only requirement for a person to be treated as their declared gender in all legal, social, and interpersonal interactions with no questions whatsoever
  • Pushing that transgender people should be allowed to play in the sports leagues of the opposite sex with no requirements for hormone therapy at all
  • Pushing policies to remove any protections or safeguards on the basis of sex, including forcing rape and domestic violence shelters to accept anyone who says they're a woman regardless of how they look or present, and without any challenge at all, regardless of the effect this has on traumatized women trying to use those services
  • Reframing sexual orientation as being based on gender, and labeling people who are exclusively attracted to only one sex as a bigot, and needs to give some serious introspection to why they're so exclusionary about who they'll consider as a potential sex partner.
  • Insisting that anyone who disagrees with any element of the policies being pushed is an evil bigoted transphobic TERF.
  • Believes that threatening, harassing, and harming the livelihoods of females who don't accept their ideology is a perfectly acceptable thing.
  • Demanding that no discussion of the above be allowed.
Thanks for the detailed response. Does a trans ideologists need to possess all of these attributes? If so, I don't think I have met one, and I am pretty sure there are none posting in this forum.

Setting aside the obvious idiocy implied by believing you are a completely accurate trans detector, unless you're planning to offer your magical detection services to various world governments, any formal persecutions of trans people requires a method of determining their biological sex should it be contested. In a court of law, some guy saying "she looks like a secret man to me" is not going to be sufficient cause to violate someone's civil rights, if she doesn't agree that this is the case; an objective test is required. Given the nature of the question, either non-consensual disrobing or non-consensual medical testing are the only real possibilities. In which case we're trading one set of rights violations for another, for no other reason than that a person has been accused of a crime. I don't know how things are in Australia, but in my country, excepting immediate emergencies, we're not supposed to be subject to unlawful search, nor ever punished for a crime in advance of being charged and found guilty of it.
Not to mention that the crime in question here is, at it's core, "being trans".
Well, presumably, the "crimes" are things like using public bathrooms, going to the spa, playing a team sport, dating someone else, and so forth. But if the intention is to force someone to either use the wrong room/venue for their perceived gender
If trans people passed as the sex they claim, in and out of clothing, there would be no 'bathroom bills' clarifying that certain facilities are single-sex, because nobody would ever know they were not the sex of the facility they were using.

or be denied these very normal activities, at threat of being detained by the police, it's a legal matter however you justify it. And in this country at least, an obvious violation of at least two of our core Constitutional protections.

I did not know it was a Constitutional right to use the changing facility of the opposite sex in sex-segregated places.

You know, I have some sympathy for those who struggle with how to respond appropriately when one encounters some whose superficial appearance —style of clothing and hair cut and possibly makeup or jewelry is at odds with perceived differing characteristics. On one hand, one may be a bit surprised or amused to see a very large, muscular man gently stroking a kitten or blowing soap bubbles —or wearing a pink tutu. A small, slight woman might be confusing to some if they see her wield an axe or throw a large drunk out of a bar or shoot hoops with big, tall guys. In fact, that might elicit some hostile reactions, even unconsciously. Or very vocally.

I’ve encountered people whose sex and/or gender was not immediately apparent—or even certain after a few short conversations. But so what? Their sex, their gender or how they chose to express it was absolutely not pertinent nor was it any of my business. If I am honest, I will admit that privately, on a couple of occasions, I speculated —because the lack of uncertainty made ME uncomfortable. For most of us, we are simply more comfortable with certainty than not. Fortunately, growing up doesn’t stop at sge 18 or 21 or 25 or 45–not if you are doing it right. It took me longer than I’d like to admit to recognize that my lack of absolute certainty about some one else’s body/business was my problem and not theirs and it was my job to accept them as they were, even if they did not fit into some small set of well defined boxes I had in my head. Their job wasn’t to make me feel comfortable but to be themselves. And, after all, I’ve never much liked it when someone tried to put me in a box either.
It depends on the situation. In 98% of the situations where I interact with someone, I give exactly zero fucks how they present (assuming it's appropriate for the venue). My spouse routinely paints his fingernails with prismatic and glittery polish. He has a collection of rainbow titanium things, including eating utensils, chop sticks, scissors, hair comb, knives, flashlights, and firearms. He brings home flowers to brighten up the place - they're not even for me! Back in college I dated a guy who regularly wore long skirts - not kilts, actual skirts. I went to high school with men who wore make-up and women who wore steel-toed boots.

I do not care how people present in the vast majority of situations.

Where I do end up with some hesitation is when a penis ends up in the girls showers in middle school. Or when a penis gets hosed with female prisoners. My care is for situations where sex actually does matter.
Penis in the shower.

You make it sound like boys in middle or high school can just up and say they are trans, the school will open up the girls locker room to them gleefully, and then erects boys will be taking showers with the girls, none the wiser.
What exactly do you think is preventing this from happening? The regulations and policies being put in place say that anyone who is transgender or nonbinary can use whatever restrooms and showers match their gender identity, and that gender identity is completely self-declared and has no requirement for a clinical diagnosis, treatment, or even any expectation of presentation.

That's kind of the whole issue with Louden County. A male-bodied person raped a female-bodied person in the girl's restroom. The male-bodied person wore skirts pretty regularly, and the school has a policy of inclusion which supports students using the bathroom that fits whatever they say their gender is.

I mean, seriously... the state of California has decided to allow male-bodied, unaltered, undiagnosed prisoners to be housed in the women's prison solely on the basis of their claim to be transwomen.
Rape is rape. It is illegal in and of itself, and if a trans person rapes someone they should be prosecuted just like a non-trans person.

I use they often in certain context to refer to somebody of unknown gender. I don't have a particular problem with it, or indeed any polite fictions. But what about 'demonself'? Please note I am not making any of these neopronouns up.
I also use "they" in cases where a person identifies as transgender, but don't reasonably pass (often including very sex-linked behaviors), and I cannot force myself to believe they're the opposite sex. So... at present Elliot Page is a "they", as is Rachel McKinnon.
Slight derail, but Elliot Page is a particularly sad case. The mainstream media fawned over her first 'topless' (post-mastectomy) image, and then again when she was in a suit cut in a men's style (for the Met Gala I believe), as if she looked like the very epitome of masculine physique. She looks like what she is: a tiny, breastless female, desperately play-acting at maleness.

I know the left says 'be kind', but I often feel like the left means 'engage in our delusion in order to be kind'.
I don’t think that Elliot Page is play acting.

Frankly it is as offensive for you to declare that a trans individual is only play acting as it would be for me to opine that you are not really a gay man but merely over attached to your mother and sexually insecure.
Elliot Page has the gender identity of 'man', or 'male', or 'masc', but she is female, and her female sex is an immutable characteristic.

That would obviously be at least as arrogant and false for me to assert such things as it is for you to make such assertions about an actor you do not know.

As to whether or not Elliot Page’s body is the epitome of masculinity —so what? How few among us look like some epitomized ideal representative of …whatever sex, gender, race, or ethnicity we embrace? Who cares? Why should how anyone dress, assuming that it falls within the realm of culturally appropriate for weather and occasion be the subject of anyone else’s critique aside from compliments and inquiries as to the tailor? How on earth is it appropriate to comment on a stranger’s body?
Wait. I wasn't the one who commented on Elliot Page's looks first. I mentioned that the mainstream and gay press fell all over themselves to wax lyrical about her appearance after she transitioned. They were the ones commenting relentlessly, not me. They were the ones to share a photo of Elliot, topless and post-mastectomy, to rant and rave about how hot she was, now that she had had healthy tissue excised from her body.

Setting aside the obvious idiocy implied by believing you are a completely accurate trans detector, unless you're planning to offer your magical detection services to various world governments, any formal persecutions of trans people requires a method of determining their biological sex should it be contested. In a court of law, some guy saying "she looks like a secret man to me" is not going to be sufficient cause to violate someone's civil rights, if she doesn't agree that this is the case; an objective test is required. Given the nature of the question, either non-consensual disrobing or non-consensual medical testing are the only real possibilities. In which case we're trading one set of rights violations for another, for no other reason than that a person has been accused of a crime. I don't know how things are in Australia, but in my country, excepting immediate emergencies, we're not supposed to be subject to unlawful search, nor ever punished for a crime in advance of being charged and found guilty of it.
Not to mention that the crime in question here is, at it's core, "being trans".
Well, presumably, the "crimes" are things like using public bathrooms, going to the spa, playing a team sport, dating someone else, and so forth. But if the intention is to force someone to either use the wrong room/venue for their perceived gender
If trans people passed as the sex they claim, in and out of clothing, there would be no 'bathroom bills' clarifying that certain facilities are single-sex, because nobody would ever know they were not the sex of the facility they were using.

or be denied these very normal activities, at threat of being detained by the police, it's a legal matter however you justify it. And in this country at least, an obvious violation of at least two of our core Constitutional protections.

I did not know it was a Constitutional right to use the changing facility of the opposite sex in sex-segregated places.
The 14th Amendment to the US requires equal treatment under the law regardless of sex, and the 4th prohibits unlawful search and seizure. Your proposed policy cannot be enforced without violating both.

I don't even claim to be transgender "because of" my husband. I claim that he is the one that encouraged me to finally walk through my transition. And as to genitals, well, there are a couple people who know the shape of where that is going. Anyway, that reveal is going to simmer probably a few years before I come out with it.
Jarhyn is transgender because his gender identity is 'wizard' and his sex is male.

I am interested in what sex-segregated facility he intends to use after he's come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom