• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Climate Change(d)?

That wasn’t a science article,

But the poster seems to think it is science and I called bullshit. It seems you agree so what is your point?
My point is that you seem to disagree with the actual science not just the journalism but haven’t put forth any substantive criticisms of it. And, no, the weather in Santa Monica doesn’t count as good evidence against global warming.

I disagree with what is presented on here as “science”. I’ve said it before numerous times, science does not get presented on here.

And I have explained numerous times why I say how the temperature in Santa Monica is catastrophic. Stop pretending like you don’t know why I do that.

That wasn’t a science article,

But the poster seems to think it is science and I called bullshit. It seems you agree so what is your point?
My point is that you seem to disagree with the actual science not just the journalism but haven’t put forth any substantive criticisms of it. And, no, the weather in Santa Monica doesn’t count as good evidence against global warming.

I disagree with what is presented on here as “science”. I’ve said it before numerous times, science does not get presented on here.

That’s why asked if you want me to present some science. I can point you to articles written by climate scientists on why they are finding and the conclusions they are coming to.
And I have explained numerous times why I say how the temperature in Santa Monica is catastrophic. Stop pretending like you don’t know why I do that.
I suspect it is simply to be annoying to us. I assume it isn’t to make yourself look foolish, even if that is the result.

Science is gibberish to those ignorant of science.

Nobody posts any actual science on this thread. Do you think “how hot is the wildfire?“ or “you can roast marshmallows in California wildfires” is science? Be off with you.

Los Angeles to host the 2028 Olympics if we survive the climate apocalypse.
You keep giving the weather at one location. People are looking at the weather in other locations.

Yes, any changes that might have happened where you are are small--but it doesn't take a big change to have a big effect. Small changes in the center of a normal distribution tend to translate to big changes at the tails. (Consider how many NBA players are black and how few are Oriental.) And it's usually the things on the tails that cause the big issues.

Or look at all those wildfires. Part of it has been bad forest management, fighting the smaller fires that normally kept things thinned. But part of it is the climate. A little bit warmer means it's a bit drier while the trees need more water. The forests are even more of a tinderbox than usual. And there are the borers. They'll kill pines anywhere the winter doesn't get cold enough to kill them--and dead trees burn. And the more stressed a tree the less able to defend itself it is.

Come on Fizzle, do you grasp the analogy to insulating your house?

How does a hothouse or greenhouse work to grow vegetables in cold weather?

Greenhouse gases in the stratosphere is what makes the Earth livable, too much added gases is making it too warm.

The air pout ants are called greenhouse gases, that should give you a clue.

The greenhouse effect is a process that occurs when gases in Earth's atmosphere trap the Sun's heat. This process makes Earth much warmer than it would be without an atmosphere. The greenhouse effect is one of the things that makes Earth a comfortable place to live.
The greenhouse effect works much the same way on Earth. Gases in the atmosphere, such as carbon dioxide, trap heat similar to the glass roof of a greenhouse. These heat-trapping gases are called greenhouse gases.

In the daytime, sunlight shines into the greenhouse and warms the plants and air inside. At nighttime, it's colder outside, but the greenhouse stays pretty warm inside. That's because the glass walls of the greenhouse trap the Sun's heat. The greenhouse effect works much the same way on Earth.

17.09 C average global temperature!

But, there was a nice sea breeze in Santa Monica.
Meh, 17.09 degrees celsius is only about 63 degrees Fahrenheit. That isn't too warm.

or

The scientists are lying to us man! 17.09 degrees is really 290 Kelvin! 290 man! We're all going to die!

The Earth's core is 10,000° F or some such. This 1-degree rise that's got you religious fanatics so upset changes that to what? 10,001° F? I'm more worried about you guys's plan to bring back Covid so you can inject more gun owners with your nano-bots.

And I read that some of you so-called scientists are worried about Europe getting COLDER! Make up your frigging minds! What a bunch of rapture-like malarkey!

I suspect it is simply to be annoying to us. I assume it isn’t to make yourself look foolish, even if that is the result.

I see, you’re going to continue to pretend.

I simply post articles that describe the results of studies made by climate scientists. They will admit it when they are wrong. They will say they may need more evidence to accurately predict how quickly the climate changes will come, but at least they are scientists with actual degrees in science.

Still, all one has to do is look at the rapidly changing "weather" in many if not most parts of the world to see that the climate is rapidly changing. Nobody wants this. It's just reality. But sometimes a "man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest".

And, if any of you have ever looked at a chart that exemplified how the climate began gradually warming around the beginning of the industrial revolution and the invention of cars, when humans started using a lot more oil, it's pretty easy to see that those things were very likely influences on the warming climate. Yes. I know. Correlation does not equal causation, but there is plenty of other evidence that carbon and methane being released into the atmosphere have had a negative impact on both the climate and the environment. WE've wiped out so many species with our behaviors, and I think that is tragic. Not that we realized it when this started, but humans are resistant to change, so I'm not very hopeful that enough will be done to prevent catastrophic climate issues in the future, although I'll likely be dead before that happens. It's sad for those who will be alive in 50 or so years.

Twizzie reminds me of my brother in law. He once said, "I can't believe in climate change because I have grandchildren". Ok. Denial ain't just a river in Egypt. Why is a denialist even bothering with this thread. Maybe the rest of us want to discuss the evidence that climate change is happening and causing a lot of serious problems for people in many parts of the world. Is there a solution? At this point, I'm skeptical.

It’s not a religion to me. Show me the scientific articles whose conclusions you disagree with and explain what’s wrong with the science and I may convert to your point of view should your argument be compelling enough.
Ffs, this thread was started years ago and I’ve disagreed with just about every piece of religious nonsense that has been presented as “science”. I disagreed with a piece of nonsense that was posted earlier today about California getting destroyed by rising sea levels.

It is a religion for you, climate catastrophe is a faith based religion and you are all in.
You're the one showing religious faith rather than actually addressing things.

would you like me to post citations to peer-reviewed published science journal articles on climate change?
lol, you tried and failed before. And the peer review process doesn’t have much credibility these days either.
Yeah, much better to listen to one climate denier hunkered down in Santa Monica.
Science doesn’t work, ignorance is king.

I simply post articles that describe the results of studies made by climate scientists. They will admit it when they are wrong. They will say they may need more evidence to accurately predict how quickly the climate changes will come, but at least they are scientists with actual degrees in science.

You post propaganda created by activists. The last one you posted was junk.

Still, all one has to do is look at the rapidly changing "weather" in many if not most parts of the world to see that the climate is rapidly changing. Nobody wants this. It's just reality. But sometimes a "man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest".

Climate is variable. Just because you see some fluctuations does not mean an there is an apocalypse.

And, if any of you have ever looked at a chart that exemplified how the climate began gradually warming around the beginning of the industrial revolution and the invention of cars, when humans started using a lot more oil, it's pretty easy to see that those things were very likely influences on the warming climate. Yes. I know. Correlation does not equal causation, but there is plenty of other evidence that carbon and methane being released into the atmosphere have had a negative impact on both the climate and the environment. WE've wiped out so many species with our behaviors, and I think that is tragic. Not that we realized it when this started, but humans are resistant to change, so I'm not very hopeful that enough will be done to prevent catastrophic climate issues in the future, although I'll likely be dead before that happens. It's sad for those who will be alive in 50 or so years.

The earth warms and cools in cycles and has done since forever. Man has very little impact on climate. This obsession with CO2 needs to stop.

Twizzie reminds me of my brother in law. He once said, "I can't believe in climate change because I have grandchildren". Ok. Denial ain't just a river in Egypt. Why is a denialist even bothering with this thread. Maybe the rest of us want to discuss the evidence that climate change is happening and causing a lot of serious problems for people in many parts of the world. Is there a solution? At this point, I'm skeptical.

Again, nobody, absolutely nobody denies that earth's climate changes. You are a religious fundamentalist that can't stand heretics who question your beliefs so you resort to name calling, scolding and shaming. You think I give a toss about being compared to your brother in-law? Behave.

Fizzle is repeating himself.

He started with his his its fine where I am what's the problem. Then its on to no one denies there has been climate change meaning of course this is all just normal climate change

He started with his his its fine where I am what's the problem. Then its on to no one denies there has been climate change meaning of course this is all just normal climate change
But the only reason he could believe that there has always been climate change is if he believes what climate scientists have told him. He’s not old enough to have witnessed it himself. But now he is saying he doesn’t believe climate scientists when they say there is anthropogenic climate change.

The most charitable interpretation is that he has been soured on the science due to the apocalyptic proclamations of non-scientist doomsayers and predictions that have not come to pass. Enough of those and it’s easy to think it’s a chicken little sky is falling scenario and thus can dismiss the field’s scientific results altogether.

It is true that climate prediction is difficult and I’m sure there are some predictions that have been wrong. But it’s like predicting the stock market. I can’t tell you what’s specific stock will be high in ten years but I’m willing to bet my retirement fund will be higher overall.

Some of these “apocalyptic” scenarios may yet come to pass but it’s difficult to say exactly when given such a dynamic, chaotic system we are still working on understanding. But there are definitely some foreboding science results that simply can’t be handwaved away.

The earth warms and cools in cycles and has done since forever. Man has very little impact on climate. This obsession with CO2 needs to stop.
Explain the sudden change we have seen.

There's no natural force driving it. It's man.

This is so obviously true on so many evidential levels. We showed him a chart showing how temperature range has sharply spiked since the start of the Industrial Revolution, tracking it faithfully. He ignored it. We have posted tons of science in this thread and he just dismisses it all. The one who subscribes to a Rapture-like cult is him, not us.

Scientists have know since the 19th century that putting increasing amounts of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere would warm the world, FFS. They talked about it even then!

But the only reason he could believe that there has always been climate change is if he believes what climate scientists have told him. He’s not old enough to have witnessed it himself. But now he is saying he doesn’t believe climate scientists when they say there is anthropogenic climate change.
Everyone's old enough to have witnessed climate change. We have the sudden increase from cleaning up ship fuel.

And even without that--back when The Felon was elected I posted a picture on the day after the election. Someone noticed a "dead" plant in the picture. I'm not sure what would happen if I simply left them, I ended up chopping off some pretty ratty but not dead growth in December in order to put the winter stuff in. That's not even 8 years.

The most charitable interpretation is that he has been soured on the science due to the apocalyptic proclamations of non-scientist doomsayers and predictions that have not come to pass. Enough of those and it’s easy to think it’s a chicken little sky is falling scenario and thus can dismiss the field’s scientific results altogether.
Yeah, the doomsayers are a definite problem. Reality is bad enough, we don't need exaggerations making people ignore the reality. But the overstated sells better than the understated.

It is true that climate prediction is difficult and I’m sure there are some predictions that have been wrong. But it’s like predicting the stock market. I can’t tell you what’s specific stock will be high in ten years but I’m willing to bet my retirement fund will be higher overall.
Exactly. The short term is mostly noise. The long term is very, very important.

Some of these “apocalyptic” scenarios may yet come to pass but it’s difficult to say exactly when given such a dynamic, chaotic system we are still working on understanding. But there are definitely some foreboding science results that simply can’t be handwaved away.
And the apocalyptic scenarios might actually be understated. The climate predictions completely ignore methane hydrates because we simply don't have enough data to make good predictions. (As always in the scientific world if the null appears within your error bars you consider it null, although perhaps worthy of more study.) But the worst case predictions there are actually worse than the worst case for CO2.

Everyone's old enough to have witnessed climate change.
what I meant was the climate change that has been happening all along, to which Swizzle is presumably comparing the current warming trend. Despite what may be happening in Santa Monica, there are actual measurements of warming atmosphere and warming oceans, even if you believe that is due to natural causes.

It used to be trendy to just deny the warming, but there's too much data from too many sources to deny that now, so we've moved on to arguing about the source of the warming. We know it's not from the Sun or a rebound from the "little ice age" and it appears to be happening at unprecedented rates compared to the geophysical record. What will result from the warming does indeed depend on mathematical models (which are not unscientific by definition, despite what's being said), and there are many teams around the globe working on many models with varying specific results but similar overall trends.

Back
Top Bottom