• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Climate Change(d)?

President Joe Biden on Wednesday will warn members of Congress that if they don't take action to combat climate change then he will. The ultimatum will come during the president's trip to Massachusetts, where he will visit Brayton Point Power Station - New England's largest coal plant, which is being transformed into a factory producing cables for offshore wind farms. 'The president will make clear tomorrow that climate change is an existential threat to our nation and to the world. And he will also make clear that since Congress is not going to act on this emergency, then he will,' a White House official said. 'In the coming days, he will continue to announce executive actions that we have developed to combat this emergency,' the official noted. 'I´m going to use every power I have as president to continue to fulfill my pledge to move toward dealing with global warming,' Biden told reporters over the weekend in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, after Manchin scuttled negotiations in the Senate.

Daily Mail

Let's Go Brandon!!

"dealing with global warming"??! WTF Brandon, it's CLIMATE CHANGE you senile old duffer!!
It is climate change brought on by global warming. It isn't as if the temperature just goes up 2 degrees and that is that. Climate change is impacted by how the atmosphere and oceans have more energy to draw from now due to the temperature increase. I'd mention other nuanced things, but understand that'd be a waste.

Jeezus christ;

Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg warned on Wednesday that the country is 'running out of time' to do something about climate change as a record heat wave sweeps the United States. Buttigieg got into a back-and-forth on climate change during an interview with CNBC's Joe Kernen, who questioned the transportation secretary about what President Joe Biden could do to give Americans relief during the heat wave. 'There are real possibilities that people might not have air conditioning during a heat wave,' Kernen said said during the interview and asked: 'How do you declare a climate crisis in the middle of an actual weather crisis?'

Daily Mail

People have AC, they just can't afford to run the AC because of the dumb energy policies forcing prices sky high.

Ooof, it's a catastrophic 76 degrees in Santa Monica today.

AC does not get rid of heat, that would violate conservation. AC moves heat from one place to another.

I heard it said on a show that all the AC in Phoenix has actually changed the local climate.

Cities store heat, another problem.

AC being less that 100% efficient create heat in the cooling process. Its those pesky Laws Of Thermodynamics.

You can read the entire piece on Phoenix it is emblematic of the western shaky foundation buit without any thought to the long term. The grid goes out for a few days and people start dying. I rember the 60s blackout in the NYC area.

Our inability for long term planning is endemic toou r culture of short term gains at any cost.

The Arizona city is almost entirely air-conditioned, and if our power grids fail, its people will fry​

In Phoenix, you don’t ask: What could go wrong? You ask: What couldn’t?
And that’s the point, really. Phoenix’s multiple vulnerabilities, which are plenty daunting taken one by one, have the capacity to magnify one another, like compounding illnesses. In this regard, it’s a quintessentially modern city, a pyramid of complexities requiring large energy inputs to keep the whole apparatus humming. The urban disasters of our time -- New Orleans hit by Katrina, New York City swamped by Sandy -- may arise from single storms, but the damage they do is the result of a chain reaction of failures -- grids going down, levees failing, back-up systems not backing up. As you might expect, academics have come up with a name for such breakdowns: infrastructure failure interdependencies. You wouldn’t want to use it in a poem, but it does catch an emerging theme of our time......

It goes without saying that Phoenix’s desert setting is hot by nature, but we’ve made it hotter. The city is a masonry world, with asphalt and concrete everywhere. The hard, heavy materials of its buildings and roads absorb heat efficiently and give it back more slowly than the naked land. In a sense, the whole city is really a thermal battery, soaking up energy by day and releasing it at night. The result is an “urban heat island,” which, in turn, prevents the cool of the desert night from providing much relief.

I agree we are runnung out of time. A lot of little things adding up.

It’s in the nature of technology to increase risk. Without a/c, nobody would live in Phoenix at all; similarly, without dikes and pumps, much of the Netherlands would be uninhabitable by reason of being underwater.

If these technologies fail, lots of people might well die, and will certainly lose their homes.

So we need to ensure that the technology doesn’t fail, and/or that we have sound plans to mitigate the impacts if and when they do fail.

The people of Zeeland have evacuation plans, which are well rehearsed; They have warning systems that are regularly tested, and they keep axes in their attics.

The people of Phoenix aren’t at risk because they live in a naturally uninhabitable area; That’s a given. They’re at risk because they haven’t given enough thought to how to cope with the failure of their life support systems. And the reason for that is that they assume someone else is dealing with the problem - an assumption that’s reasonable if you live in a place with strong government, like the Netherlands; But not if you live in a place with weak government, like the USA.

When you depend on life support technologies, you depend on someone ensuring that all parts of the system are maintained as though your life depends upon it; and on someone ensuring that there’s an effective plan for disaster mitigation and recovery.

And we all depend on such technologies, to a greater or lesser extent. The planet cannot support eight billion people without them.

AC does not get rid of heat, that would violate conservation. AC moves heat from one place to another.

I heard it said on a show that all the AC in Phoenix has actually changed the local climate.

AC being less that 100% efficient create heat in the cooling process. Its those pesky Laws Of Thermodynamics.

You can read the entire piece on Phoenix it is emblematic of the western shaky foundation buit without any thought to the long term. The grid goes out for a few days and people start dying. I rember the 60s blackout in the NYC area.

Our inability for long term planning is endemic toou r culture of short term gains at any cost.

Salon? Really? And people complain about the Daily Mail :rolleyesa:

I agree we are runnung out of time. A lot of little things adding up.

The end is nigh!!!11!!!111!!!!!!111

A rapture like cult.

Jeezus christ;

Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg warned on Wednesday that the country is 'running out of time' to do something about climate change as a record heat wave sweeps the United States. Buttigieg got into a back-and-forth on climate change during an interview with CNBC's Joe Kernen, who questioned the transportation secretary about what President Joe Biden could do to give Americans relief during the heat wave. 'There are real possibilities that people might not have air conditioning during a heat wave,' Kernen said said during the interview and asked: 'How do you declare a climate crisis in the middle of an actual weather crisis?'

Daily Mail

People have AC, they just can't afford to run the AC because of the dumb energy policies forcing prices sky high.

Ooof, it's a catastrophic 76 degrees in Santa Monica today.
People in hot climates have AC. People in not so hot places might not. I stayed in an AirBNB in Vancouver a few years ago--a nice house but no AC because the local weather didn't warrant it.

Roads, also. My car tells me the outside air temperature--and there's a noticeable difference between the temperature on the big roads vs the side streets.

Yes roads get hotter, but cities contain a tad more surface area than a road. One doesn't see weather patterns develop because a front crosses over I-75.

Otherwise, as TSwizzle noted (well, they didn't note it because they are lost in their own world), the trouble is some places don't get so hot. The Pacific Northwest doesn't trend into the 100s, until last year. Plenty of places rarely get hot enough to justify air conditioning. Like England and Ireland, Scandinavia. Areas where if these heat domes show up and linger, there are problems. 800 or so died in the Pacific Northwest because of the heat dome and not having the infrastructure in place to manage sustained and unprecedented heat like that. Kind of like how Texas fell apart with the close to unprecedented and sustained cold snap.

Eastern Washington and southern Oregon is high plains desert. It gets hot east of the Cascades. Portland got hot in the summer especially just west in the valley.

When driving across in the summer I'd stop to swim in Moses Lake and when crossing the Columbia.

Average July-August temps for Yakima and Modes Lake around 90.

Gotta love conservatives. They look out the window, see that it's raining today wherever they happen to be, and conclude that global warming is a lie. It's like if the residents of a nursery school decided to start a corporation.

Does that mean that if a progressive turns on a tap they will panic and scream, "OMG, FLOOD. We are all going to drown"?

Well yes, that's what the cultists do. In the words of the wise insufferable prick Gavin Newsom, "The wets are going to get wetter". Science baby!!

It doesn't matter what way the weather turns, hot, cold, dry, wet, more hurricanes less hurricanes, we are dooooooomed because climate change.

Conservative: *turns on tap* Meh... what drought?
Does that mean that if a progressive turns on a tap they will panic and scream, "OMG, FLOOD. We are all going to drown"? 😜
Not certain progressives are complaining about too much water in the Southwest.
Of course they aren't complaining about too much water in southern California. They are panicking over a scarcity of water to supply over 20 million people in a desert that could naturally support only a few tens of thousands.

During a snowstorm Mitch McConnell made a snowball, carried it into Cogress, and said something like 'What global warming?'.

Conservatives: We will have plenty of water if we get govt out of the water busness and let markets decide.

Progressives: We need to spend more money on water. Take wter from elsewhere and give it free to Soutern California.

Back in the 90s there was something about investors trying to buy up watersheds and privatizing water.

Back in the 90s there was something about investors trying to buy up watersheds and privatizing water.

Y’mean the 1890s, right? People have been claiming water rights here since the early 1800s.
The water right on my property is 1897, and that puts it near the bottom of the totem pole. Kansas gets their panties in a bunch and our ditches get shut off.
The problem with buying up watersheds, is that the water is already “owned” by someone downstream in almost every case, sometimes by two or more fighting parties. But -
As one of our county commissioners (a rancher) said in a water board meeting;

“I'd rather be upstream with a shovel than downstream with a decree!”

On Monday, we close on a rental house - I spent a small fortune on rehab after getting rid of the tenant, but it sold within a couple of hours of a sign going up - even before it hit MLS. One reason was the ditch running behind the house. The actual owner of the water in that ditch is deceased, but nobody is talking abou that; every property along the ditch is taking some of the water, and there’s a designated person who closes the head gate when there’s a downstream call (notifications come from the regional water authority via email). The neighborhood comes out and cleans the ditch every spring. This has been going on so long, there is probably some right by use at this point. At least the buyer of my place is satisfied that it’s not going to change any time soon. A classic case of being “upstream with a shovel”.

Conservative: *turns on tap* Meh... what drought?
Does that mean that if a progressive turns on a tap they will panic and scream, "OMG, FLOOD. We are all going to drown"? 😜
Nah, they turn on the faucet and see that the water is coming out dirt brown, and they're all like "OMG fracking! Lead poisoning! We probably should not drink this until we find out why it's brown!"

You know, snowflakes.

Gotta love conservatives. They look out the window, see that it's raining today wherever they happen to be, and conclude that global warming is a lie. It's like if the residents of a nursery school decided to start a corporation.
One would think that "conservatives" would want to conserve the environment, but apparently not.

I don't have much hope that humans will make enough effort to change. Jimmy Carter was the only one who tried to be a leader when it came to the environment and the climate, but he wasn't appreciated for his efforts. I remember the sad day when Reagan happily removed the solar panels from the Whitehouse. Carter was way ahead of his times and vastly under appreciated.

When you went west in the 19th century when you ran out of water you died. If a drought dragged on farms dried up and towns bwecame ghost towns.

LEO and lunar orbiting space stations are being planned. Our priorities are all wrong.

Back
Top Bottom