• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Merged Colorado Supreme Court disqualifies Trump from the ballot

To denote when two or more threads have been merged
Someone entered into the CO Supreme Court (late at night), armed, held a guard at gunpoint, rampaged through building. link

Oddly enough, it is uncertain the motive at the moment. Obviously, there are political issues at hand.

Someone entered into the CO Supreme Court (late at night), armed, held a guard at gunpoint, rampaged through building. link

Oddly enough, it is uncertain the motive at the moment. Obviously, there are political issues at hand.
Seems quite obvious that it was just another deluded trumpsucker all pissed off about the CO SC adhering to the US Constitution. Tough shit, mofo.

Seems quite obvious that it was just another deluded trumpsucker all pissed off about the CO SC adhering to the US Constitution. Tough shit, mofo.
But not one with enough courage of his convictions to go during the daytime and directly confront those responsible. He cowardly entered in the middle of the night and shot up an empty building.

But not one with enough courage of his convictions to go during the daytime and directly confront those responsible. He cowardly entered in the middle of the night and shot up an empty building.

I wonder if these lone moron shootemups are the promised civil war we have been so eagerly awaiting.
We can expect fair amount of increase in these stoopid events right up to November, and even more afterward when Trump loses.
Imagine a few dozen such incidents every day. It's gonna make this country just like GAZA!*

*facetiousness

POTUS is an "officer."

The relevant language of the 1799 Act on the subject of free postage for officers of the United States did include the president, however (bolding ours): “And be it further enacted, That letters and packets to and from the following officers of the United States, shall be received and conveyed by post, free of postage. Each postmaster, provided each of his letters or packets shall not exceed half an ounce in weight; each member of the Senate and House of Representatives of the Congress of the United States; the Secretary of the Senate and Clerk of House of Representatives, provided each letter or packet shall not exceed two ounces in weight, and during their actual attendance in any session of Congress, and twenty days after such session; the President of the United States; Vice President; the Secretary of the Treasury,” and so on (see images below).

Orange and his lawyers have been arguing that the 14th amendment doesn't include POTUS. Now they can go pound more salt.

Article 2, Section 1 of Constitution:

“The executive Power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America. He shall hold his Office during the Term of four Years, and, together with the Vice President, chosen for the same Term, be elected, as follows:”

Emphasis mine.

Wouldn’t someone who holds an office be an officer?

Article 2, Section 1 of Constitution:

“The executive Power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America. He shall hold his Office during the Term of four Years, and, together with the Vice President, chosen for the same Term, be elected, as follows:”

Emphasis mine.

Wouldn’t someone who holds an office be an officer?
Unless they are an official. The type of oath they take is the determining factor.

US Supreme Court to hear Trump appeal of Colorado ballot disqualification​

WASHINGTON, Jan 5 (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court on Friday agreed to hear Donald Trump's appeal of a judicial decision barring the former president from Colorado's Republican primary ballot, taking up a politically explosive case with major implications for the 2024 presidential election.

At issue is the Colorado Supreme Court's Dec. 19 ruling disqualifying Trump from the state's primary ballot based on language in the U.S. Constitution's 14th Amendment for engaging in insurrection, involving the Jan. 6, 2021, attack by his supporters on the U.S. Capitol.”

More popcorn please.
What will the corrupt Court decide? NOTHING, if they can avoid it.
Now there’s a case to disqualify another Trumpsucking insurrectionist (Scott Perry) in Pennsylvania. It will be interesting to see the tRumpy justices squirm, trying to insulate Trump without trampling on those sacred States’ Rights, which they use to excuse their decisions on other matters.
Originalism? Guess that needs to be re-defined too, at this point.

Let the judicial gymnastics commence.
Yup. That’s my fear.
In a rational world it would take 9 justices less than ten minutes to cite section 3 of the 14th and conclude that States are well within their rights to exclude the insurrectionist from the general election ballot, if not the primaries.
But now we have Thomas the insurrectionist, Alito the trumpsucker, KavansughThe Drunk, The Christian Crusader Beotch …
The Constitution is probably fucked.

US Supreme Court to hear Trump appeal of Colorado ballot disqualification​

WASHINGTON, Jan 5 (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court on Friday agreed to hear Donald Trump's appeal of a judicial decision barring the former president from Colorado's Republican primary ballot, taking up a politically explosive case with major implications for the 2024 presidential election.

At issue is the Colorado Supreme Court's Dec. 19 ruling disqualifying Trump from the state's primary ballot based on language in the U.S. Constitution's 14th Amendment for engaging in insurrection, involving the Jan. 6, 2021, attack by his supporters on the U.S. Capitol.”

More popcorn please.
What will the corrupt Court decide? NOTHING, if they can avoid it.
Now there’s a case to disqualify another Trumpsucking insurrectionist (Scott Perry) in Pennsylvania. It will be interesting to see the tRumpy justices squirm, trying to insulate Trump without trampling on those sacred States’ Rights, which they use to excuse their decisions on other matters.
Originalism? Guess that needs to be re-defined too, at this point.
They are going to jump through some serious hoops. If you allow insurrectionists to run for office that makes you an insurrectionist. But no surprises from this court, I think it's been obvious for a long time that for sitting conservatives the constitution only matters when it fits my interests.

They are going to jump through some serious hoops. If you allow insurrectionists to run for office that makes you an insurrectionist. But no surprises from this court, I think it's been obvious for a long time that for sitting conservatives the constitution only matters when it fits my interests.
Actually, they have an out that I hope they are going to take: Neither Congress nor the courts have not yet determined that it was an insurrection.

The 14th is flawed in that doesn't set a bar. We are already seeing MAGAs trying to disqualify Biden on bogus grounds.

Neither Congress nor the courts have not yet determined that it was an insurrection.
A violent attempt to prevent the peaceful transfer of power in order to install the loser of a free and fair election, is hard to exclude from ANY definition of insurrection.
If J6 is an example of what is allowed, we should be working on a repeat for next January, just in case Trump wins. Hopefully Dems can re-capture the House so we can get away with it, right?

Neither Congress nor the courts have not yet determined that it was an insurrection.
A violent attempt to prevent the peaceful transfer of power in order to install the loser of a free and fair election, is hard to exclude from ANY definition of insurrection.
If J6 is an example of what is allowed, we should be working on a repeat for next January, just in case Trump wins. Hopefully Dems can re-capture the House so we can get away with it, right?
Gotta agree. How can any objective body not recognize that Orange was involved in an attempt to subvert the constitution? If I wasn't living it I wouldn't believe it even if I read it in a textbook as a student. It's like claiming that Robert E Lee was a patriot who fought for his country and never attempted to subvert the constitution. Doesn't matter how much love you have for Lee or for Orange Hitler you still ought to be able to recognize objective reality for what it is. Then again objective reality is telling me there are a lot of biased Orange Suckup Racists that can't separate fact from fantasy.

His efforts in insurrection took nearly every conceivable form, starting, as always with Trump, with a perfect rainsquall of lies. He was setting the stage in the late spring of '20 by saying that he could only lose if the results were fraudulent. Then came the loss. He continued by refusing to concede, by claiming victory (a friggin' landslide), hiring investigators to find fraud, five dozen court challenges, then criminality: the phone calls to Georgia and Michigan (and no doubt more), the libelous accusations against Dominion and individual poll workers, the outrageous phony elector scheme, and, faced with defeat, he showed his truest nature and unleashed a mob of ignorant criminals. He then watched his handiwork on TV for over three hours, an act of dereliction which should need no corroboration to prove his connection with the mob, but of course he followed it up with a "plea to disperse" which included calling them beautiful people whom he loved. "Aid and comfort" to an enemy? This man deserves prison. The GOP will never live this down. 95% of the party doesn't see anything wrong with it. We've been in Bizarro America for 8 years. There is no bottom level to Trump or his party. When they go low...it's just setting a benchmark to be exceeded on their next dive down.

You miss my point. While we know what happened there hasn't been a trial. I'm not saying of His Flatulence himself, but of the insurrection as a whole. Don't declare guilt (throw him and any who helped off the ballot) without a trial (a legal determination that there was an insurrection.) Otherwise you leave "insurrection" as an undefined term and open things up to bogus claims of insurrection.

You miss my point. While we know what happened there hasn't been a trial. I'm not saying of His Flatulence himself, but of the insurrection as a whole. Don't declare guilt (throw him and any who helped off the ballot) without a trial (a legal determination that there was an insurrection.) Otherwise you leave "insurrection" as an undefined term and open things up to bogus claims of insurrection.
What are you talking about? Multiple courts have determined that an insurrection occurred, including all of those we're currently discussing.

Was there ever a "trial" to determine that the Civil War actually occurred? The confederacy was an amalgamation of victimized freedom fighters who just had a different view of what it means to be free. That's perfectly in keeping with the spirit of the U.S. Constitution. Amirite?

What are you talking about? Multiple courts have determined that an insurrection occurred, including all of those we're currently discussing.
Have they? A few people have been found guilty of sedition (or seditious conspiracy)... in a court. Most people were convicted or pled guilty to being stupid enough to post evidence of their crimes onto the Internet. None of those people were Trump at this point.

Meanwhile in, let's make it harder for SCOTUS to rule in Trump's favor, Trump's lawyer effectively states in interview that Kavanaugh owes Trump.
article said:
You know, people like Kavanaugh, who the president fought for, who the president went through hell to get into place, he’ll step up.

Back
Top Bottom