• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Comic book movie news & discussion

First Captain Marvel trailer.

Not much for the powers/action being shown yet, more of an introduction to the situation.

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/Z1BCujX3pw8[/YOUTUBE]

Not much for the powers/action being shown yet, more of an introduction to the situation.

Ugh.

Captain Marvel is supposed to be the premier female empowerment fantasy in the Marvel universe, and this does not give me hope.

When this casting decision was made, I really thought they would be better off casting Katee Sackhoff instead of some Oscar-winning drama actress. Bree does not look like a convincing action hero badass in this trailer, she looks like a serious drama actor trying and not quite succeeding at playing an action hero.

Katee Sackhoff has already shown that she can play a convincing, stand-up-and-cheer badass soldier/fighter pilot. She's shown that she can make such a character convincing and complicated and empathetic. Did I mention that both Starbuck and Carol Danvers have a drinking problem? Katee already proved she can play that and really tug at your heartstrings while doing it.

Bree Larson is just[ent]hellip[/ent] not badass. She's not intimidating at all, and she mostly looks either bored or furtive in the scenes in this trailer. Contrast that with Katee Sackhoff in the BSG reboot, or Gal Gadot in Wonder Woman.

Ugh.

Captain Marvel is supposed to be the premier female empowerment fantasy in the Marvel universe, and this does not give me hope.

When this casting decision was made, I really thought they would be better off casting Katee Sackhoff instead of some Oscar-winning drama actress. Bree does not look like a convincing action hero badass in this trailer, she looks like a serious drama actor trying and not quite succeeding at playing an action hero.

Katee Sackhoff has already shown that she can play a convincing, stand-up-and-cheer badass soldier/fighter pilot. She's shown that she can make such a character convincing and complicated and empathetic. Did I mention that both Starbuck and Carol Danvers have a drinking problem? Katee already proved she can play that and really tug at your heartstrings while doing it.

Bree Larson is just[ent]hellip[/ent] not badass. She's not intimidating at all, and she mostly looks either bored or furtive in the scenes in this trailer. Contrast that with Katee Sackhoff in the BSG reboot, or Gal Gadot in Wonder Woman.

I haven’t seen such dissent since they kept hiring Halle Berry to play Storm.

Ugh.

I don't think this is as bad as that, but it's getting close.

Although in the case of Halle Berry, I now understand that what came across with that character was as much (if not more) the fault of the screenwriters and director than her.

And I admit that part of my grumbling is because I really like Katee Sackhoff's performance as Starbuck in the BSG reboot. Starbuck is basically Carol Danvers, but more of a fuckup and more affected by her drinking problem. She's already demonstrated that she can pull this off, so why go with the Oscar-winning drama actress?

I don't think this is as bad as that, but it's getting close.

Although in the case of Halle Berry, I now understand that what came across with that character was as much (if not more) the fault of the screenwriters and director than her.

And I admit that part of my grumbling is because I really like Katee Sackhoff's performance as Starbuck in the BSG reboot. Starbuck is basically Carol Danvers, but more of a fuckup and more affected by her drinking problem. She's already demonstrated that she can pull this off, so why go with the Oscar-winning drama actress?
I think Katie would make a great Carol Danvers, but I suspect she might be too busy to make the filming of this movie (she's in at least one series, and I think currently one or two movies in production). I'm willing to give Bree a chance, but I'm not at all familiar with her.

I do love Katie, she's a great actress, and a very cool person to boot (I got to hang with her and Tricia Helfer a couple of times [/humblebrag]. :D

I agree that Katee Sackhoff would have been a good choice for Carol Danvers, and all of comics geekdom would have just gone nuts for that casting (excluding the alt-right asswipes, of course). I am also pretty sure she would have jumped at the chance to play Carol Danvers, and dropped anything else necessary to do so. I say this knowing nothing about Katee as a person, so take it with a grain of salt.

I was entirely unaware of Bree Larson before her casting, and had to look her up. I don't blame Marvel at all for casting her, she is an Oscar winning actress, and at this point Marvel has an appeal ranging far outside of comics geekdom. That wider appeal is going to drive decisions like this every time. Regardless of who they cast though, those alt-right asswipes who claim to be comics fans would still be up in arms so long as it is not Mar-Vell as Captain Marvel (even though he will make an appearance in this film).

If Marvel really wanted to shake things up, and give a major nod to true comics geeks, they wouldn't be casting a white woman at all. They wouldn't even be using Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel. The ballsy thing to do would be to use Monica Rambeau as Captain Marvel, and cast a black woman with dreadlocks. She was the first female Captain Marvel, and a black woman with dreads to boot. Carol Danvers did not appear until 30 years later. Further proof BTW that Marvel has valued diversity and inclusion in comics for much longer than the whining wannabe fanbois are willing to admit.

I agree that Katee Sackhoff would have been a good choice for Carol Danvers, and all of comics geekdom would have just gone nuts for that casting (excluding the alt-right asswipes, of course). I am also pretty sure she would have jumped at the chance to play Carol Danvers, and dropped anything else necessary to do so. I say this knowing nothing about Katee as a person, so take it with a grain of salt.

I was entirely unaware of Bree Larson before her casting, and had to look her up. I don't blame Marvel at all for casting her, she is an Oscar winning actress, and at this point Marvel has an appeal ranging far outside of comics geekdom. That wider appeal is going to drive decisions like this every time. Regardless of who they cast though, those alt-right asswipes who claim to be comics fans would still be up in arms so long as it is not Mar-Vell as Captain Marvel (even though he will make an appearance in this film).

If Marvel really wanted to shake things up, and give a major nod to true comics geeks, they wouldn't be casting a white woman at all. They wouldn't even be using Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel. The ballsy thing to do would be to use Monica Rambeau as Captain Marvel, and cast a black woman with dreadlocks. She was the first female Captain Marvel, and a black woman with dreads to boot. Carol Danvers did not appear until 30 years later. Further proof BTW that Marvel has valued diversity and inclusion in comics for much longer than the whining wannabe fanbois are willing to admit.

Yeah, I just don't get all the bitching about diversity characters. Anyone who thinks diversity is a bad thing isn't a real Marvel fan.

Ditto with Star Trek. Anyone who sneers while saying "diversity" has no business watching Star Trek in the first place.

Yeah, I just don't get all the bitching about diversity characters. Anyone who thinks diversity is a bad thing isn't a real Marvel fan.

Ditto with Star Trek. Anyone who sneers while saying "diversity" has no business watching Star Trek in the first place.
Those are the kind of fans that somehow enjoy the stories without actually understanding them I guess. (like the people upset with Willie Nelson recently)

I was reading a reprint of the first issue of Luke Cage recently. When escaping from prison he turned to face the guards chasing him, a rock in his hand. The guards shot him, one of them saying they thought the rock was a gun. Geezz, this was originally printed in 1972, and the excuse for shooting hasn't changed in 45 years.

Of course, the original Nick Fury wasn't black, so at least there is that.

They complain because all they see is White and if it isn't White it is 'racial pandering'. Honestly at this point, Marvel has done such a good job at casting, if they hired a panda bear as Captain Marvel, I'd stop and think, "It's different, but let's see how they deal with it." and then it'd probably still be awesome and people would ask why hadn't Marvel hired more panda bears earlier?!

But I'm so sick of racist muthas bringing up race every fucking time someone who isn't a bed sheet white is named to play a character they think should be bed sheet white... while never complaining about The Last Samurai or Ghost in the Shell. Just more proof that the African Americans were right about racism in America.

Eh Carol Danvers is such a niche character that whoever plays her will define her more than any comics have. That tends to happen to most characters that don't have a very strong history and mythos of their own before being chewed and spit out by the movie industry.

Eh Carol Danvers is such a niche character that whoever plays her will define her more than any comics have. That tends to happen to most characters that don't have a very strong history and mythos of their own before being chewed and spit out by the movie industry.

Carol Danvers was just introduced in the comics in 2012, less than a decade ago, so not as much of a niche character as she is a new character. You might have a point with Captain Marvel in general, but Carol Danvers has done more for elevating that character in recent years than just about any other incarnation of the hero since the original.

Carol Danvers was just introduced in the comics in 2012, less than a decade ago, so not as much of a niche character as she is a new character. You might have a point with Captain Marvel in general, but Carol Danvers has done more for elevating that character in recent years than just about any other incarnation of the hero since the original.

Carol Danvers was introduced in 1968, became Ms Marvel in '77 with her own series for a while. She was given a new series as Ms Marvel in 2006, and was renamed Captain Marvel in 2012. I think they have been doing a decent job in making a minor character into one of the more important ones over the last 16 years. The movie will help elevate her even more I think.

Saw Brie Larson in Kong: Skull Island recently, and I'm feeling better about her taking the roll.

Carol Danvers was introduced in 1968, became Ms Marvel in '77 with her own series for a while. She was given a new series as Ms Marvel in 2006, and was renamed Captain Marvel in 2012. I think they have been doing a decent job in making a minor character into one of the more important ones over the last 16 years. The movie will help elevate her even more I think.

Saw Brie Larson in Kong: Skull Island recently, and I'm feeling better about her taking the roll.

Good point, I wasn't thinking of her time as Ms. Marvel, thanks for the correction.

I assume anyone in this thread is a comic book dork, but in case there are non-comic book people, here's the abridged version of the story:

shazam_cover_h_2016.jpg
This is the original Captain Marvel. DC bought the rights for this character, then forgot to dot an i somewhere and the copyright for the name was up for grabs if Marvel wanted to be dicks about it.

Marvel decided to be dicks about it and quickly threw together a Captain Marvel comic of their own and started publishing it. From that moment forward, DC could no longer call the above character Captain Marvel.

Marvel just threw together a crappy story for the sole purpose of stealing a copyright, and so it should surprise no one that the character wasn't all that popular with audiences. Thus, the name "Captain Marvel" became a title that was passed on to 4 or so other characters (including one African-American woman whose mother appears in the trailer).

Eventually, Marvel figured out that the only character audiences actually liked was the girlfriend/sidekick of the original alien Captain Marvel, so they gave her the title Captain Marvel. Now people actually give a shit about Marvel's version of Captain Marvel.

Aside: in all honesty, the main reason I'm excited about the Captain Marvel movie is that it might pave the way for Ms Marvel/Kamala Khan in a future movie.

Wasn't the 2nd (3rd?) incarnation of Carol Danvers that Rogue stole her super strength and ability to fly? It's been a long time since I read that story line, and I'm not even sure it was ever fully fleshed out, but I wonder if this movie might be another tie in to the X-men/mutant side of the Marvel Universe.

Good point, I wasn't thinking of her time as Ms. Marvel, thanks for the correction.

I remember her from comics I read as a kid. She did kick ass, but like I said... niche and supporting character at best.

Carol Danvers fighting the Super Skrull.jpg

You know superheroes mean business when their sound effects are cities in Poland.

Aside: in all honesty, the main reason I'm excited about the Captain Marvel movie is that it might pave the way for Ms Marvel/Kamala Khan in a future movie.
I love Kamala! They will probably do a small reference, like they did for Miles in Spider-Man. But do hope for someone to actually appear as her.

Wasn't the 2nd (3rd?) incarnation of Carol Danvers that Rogue stole her super strength and ability to fly? It's been a long time since I read that story line, and I'm not even sure it was ever fully fleshed out, but I wonder if this movie might be another tie in to the X-men/mutant side of the Marvel Universe.
Carol had been an Avenger for a while, until she was mind controlled to go be some guys sex slave in another dimension, and the Avengers let it happen. Avengers Anual #10 was Rogues first appearance, taking Carols powers, tho the fight wasn’t actually shown until years later in some other comic. She later got new powers and the name Binary in X-Men not long after. I guess that would be her second or third incarnation, depending on how you define it.

I love Kamala! They will probably do a small reference, like they did for Miles in Spider-Man. But do hope for someone to actually appear as her.

I can already imagine movie-Kamala making everyone cringe by announcing that she just wrote fan-fiction featuring a Tony Stark-Agent 13 romance. :D

Anyway, on another note, the following doesn't quite fit in this thread, but it doesn't really fit anywhere else either. Sorry ahead of time.

Moviebob makes a plea to the Hollywood execs to stop trying to make the Predators likable. Every attempt to do so has failed. He then argues that the first movie was the only decent one, and the predator in that movie was an asshole. A particular kind of asshole, at that.

Think about it: he travels to a planet with a technologically inferior civilization, then goes to a remote location in the deep jungle where the few primitive apes he meets are far from the resources of their own (compared to his) primitive technologically inferior civilization. He has all this advanced tech at his disposal that could probably allow him to single-handedly take on almost any army on Earth, and he still feels the need to go for the weakest and most vulnerable possible targets among a primitive species of hairless apes.

He then goes on to say it would be much more interesting if the Predators' civilization wasn't a warrior culture that praised these hunters, and that it might be more appropriate if these Predator hunters were looked down on by the rest of their civilization the same way we look down on the Trump sons when they go big game hunting.

The Predators work better as unrelenting villains than as some kind of likable ultimate badass with a code of honor. The first Predator movie was essentially a monster movie, the monster just happened to come from a technologically superior alien civilization. It would be better for a monster movie franchise to make the monsters monstrous instead of trying to make them noble.

Back
Top Bottom