• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Consciousness

Present one idea and I will respond.
Respond to what? It's not like you have a good track record of responding to ideas presented to you.
So you have some objective report of my track record?
Yes, if you were on kiwifarm, they'd call you a lolcow.

You want things pulled from your ass to pass as knowledge.
Apparently, you don't know shit.

Your track record with me is you make very bad arguments and have trouble understanding arguments.
I suppose if your position is still 'the one who produces the largest volume of arguments wins'. I think you might be equivocating "largest volume of arguments"- not that you understand equivocation.

It's not equal vacation.

Reactions: DBT
Blind sight; the brain working with information without conscious representation/vision.

Quote;
''Clearly, despite his blindness, Daniel’s healthy eyes were still watching the world and passing the information to his unconscious, which was guiding his behaviour. Publishing a report in 1974, Weiskrantz coined the term “blindsight” to describe this fractured conscious state. “Some were sceptical, of course, but it has held its own and become an accepted phenomenon,” Weiskrantz says today. And over the following decades, the condition has come to answer some fundamental questions about the human mind.

Just how many of our decisions occur out of our awareness, even when we have the illusion of control? And if the conscious mind is not needed to direct our actions, then what is its purpose? Why did we evolve this vivid internal life, if we are almost “zombies” acting without awareness?

“These cases open a window into parts of the brain that are normally not visible,” says Marco Tamietto, who is based at Tilburg University. “They offer a view to functions that are difficult to observe – that are normally silent.”

Clearly, despite his blindness, Daniel’s healthy eyes were still watching the world and passing the information to his unconscious, which was guiding his behaviour. Publishing a report in 1974, Weiskrantz coined the term “blindsight” to describe this fractured conscious state. “Some were sceptical, of course, but it has held its own and become an accepted phenomenon,” Weiskrantz says today. And over the following decades, the condition has come to answer some fundamental questions about the human mind.

''Just how many of our decisions occur out of our awareness, even when we have the illusion of control? And if the conscious mind is not needed to direct our actions, then what is its purpose? Why did we evolve this vivid internal life, if we are almost “zombies” acting without awareness?

“These cases open a window into parts of the brain that are normally not visible,” says Marco Tamietto, who is based at Tilburg University. “They offer a view to functions that are difficult to observe – that are normally silent.”

''In 2008, Tamietto and Weiskrantz’s team put another blindsight patient through the most gruelling test yet. Unlike Daniel, he was blind across the whole of his visual field, and normally walked with a white cane. But the team took away his cane and then loaded a corridor with furniture that might potentially trip him up, before asking him make his way to the other side. “Despite saying he wasn’t able to see, we saw him shooting by on his very first attempt,” says Tamietto. ''

Blind sight; the brain working with information without conscious representation/vision.

Quote;
''Clearly, despite his blindness, Daniel’s healthy eyes were still watching the world and passing the information to his unconscious, which was guiding his behaviour. Publishing a report in 1974, Weiskrantz coined the term “blindsight” to describe this fractured conscious state. “Some were sceptical, of course, but it has held its own and become an accepted phenomenon,” Weiskrantz says today. And over the following decades, the condition has come to answer some fundamental questions about the human mind.

Just how many of our decisions occur out of our awareness, even when we have the illusion of control? And if the conscious mind is not needed to direct our actions, then what is its purpose? Why did we evolve this vivid internal life, if we are almost “zombies” acting without awareness?

Clearly, despite his blindness, Daniel’s healthy eyes were still watching the world and passing the information to his unconscious, which was guiding his behaviour. Publishing a report in 1974, Weiskrantz coined the term “blindsight” to describe this fractured conscious state. “Some were sceptical, of course, but it has held its own and become an accepted phenomenon,” Weiskrantz says today. And over the following decades, the condition has come to answer some fundamental questions about the human mind.

''Just how many of our decisions occur out of our awareness, even when we have the illusion of control? And if the conscious mind is not needed to direct our actions, then what is its purpose? Why did we evolve this vivid internal life, if we are almost “zombies” acting without awareness?

''In 2008, Tamietto and Weiskrantz’s team put another blindsight patient through the most gruelling test yet. Unlike Daniel, he was blind across the whole of his visual field, and normally walked with a white cane. But the team took away his cane and then loaded a corridor with furniture that might potentially trip him up, before asking him make his way to the other side. “Despite saying he wasn’t able to see, we saw him shooting by on his very first attempt,” says Tamietto. ''

Vision helps the consciousness direct motion.

Obviously even if one is not aware of the complete visual field it is possible for the consciousness to direct motion into it.

This is not an understanding of what is happening when the mind moves the arm.

It is an understanding of how holes in information can still be dealt with by the consciousness.

But only sometimes.

In true hemi-blindness, like after a stroke, the patient can do nothing functional on their blind side.

Why is the brain having so much trouble?

Obviously even if one is not aware of the complete visual field it is possible for the consciousness to direct motion into it.

It is an understanding of how holes in information can still be dealt with by the consciousness.

But only sometimes.

In true hemi-blindness, like after a stroke, the patient can do nothing functional on their blind side.

1. So consciousness is the reason for vision?

2. Does a complete visual filed need consciousness to exist?

3. How exactly does the mind move the arm?

4. If one is not conscious of the existence of hole in it how can there be handling of them by it?

5. Why only sometimes?

6. How would one even consider doing when what is required for doing is incapacitated?

All your statements are just a bunch of unanswered questions needing explanation by you.

When taken together there is no thread in your statements.

Answer to your question is the brain isn't have a problem. You are having a problem cogently explaining behavior for causes that are physically self evident.

But only sometimes.

1. So consciousness is the reason for vision?

That is such a bizarre reading of what I wrote it is no use even replying to it.

I did not say anything close to that.

really? How else can one state vision aids consciousness. If such were the case then it is necessary for there to be consciousness for vision to direct it. IOW the reason for vision is to direct consciousness. Two conditions for one requiring the other are in place. Consciousness requires vision. Only consciousness knows place else vision could not provide information for consciousness to be directed.

One wonders how vision finds place if consciousness is not aware of it since consciousness, in your odel is commander in chief.

So you are claiming consciousness does not use visual information to adjust movement?

Why do you think you are aware of vision?

Does YOUR awareness, not some unknown kind of brain awareness, serve a pupose?

Does YOUR awareness, not some unknown kind of brain awareness, serve a pupose?

I have no objective opinion on my awareness. I have only a subjective one. What that is worth is irrelevant to my actual purposes. The only kinds of awareness I have are of to what you seem to be calling the unknown kind. They seem to serve my keeping myself in the frame of my social surrounding which usually entails some consideration of other physical awarenesses. Objectively this is never more than self justification.

Is my awareness one moment the same as it is another. I think not.

I can use previous awareness states to stitch together a personal history and orientation or view or course of action as a current state of awareness. I'm claiming consciousness does not exist except in the mind of the person involved, that it isn't a continuous thing or presence beyond what one believes it be.

I'm aware of processes relevant to making a overall visual scene and snippets of whatever it is. I'm aware of them I believe for the reasons I outlined above.

You continue to want to build something real out of individual feelings which are really only relevant to you when being social or satisfying other human processes which require time and particular direction finding or keeping or remembering. It is in each instance a temporary feeling of condition at best which can be used to justify, make sense of process, or mirror ongoing processes. Whatever these are are obviously not there often when you are acting until your actions are well along and then only as a self biased awareness.

To treat these things as unified, essential, inherent, and plan worthy denies the evolutionary basis upon which our existence is based, constructed and executed.

Present one idea and I will respond.
Respond to what? It's not like you have a good track record of responding to ideas presented to you.

So you have some objective report of my track record?

You want things pulled from your ass to pass as knowledge.

Your track record with me is you make very bad arguments and have trouble understanding arguments.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

Is there any FUCKING moderation in this forum?

Why is ignorant harassment allowed to go on and on?

Is there a FUCKING moderator that can tell the difference between some ignorant ASSHOLE engaging in harassment and a person honestly engaging?

You should probably keep calling them ignorant sheep and blind children. That'll be sure to get their attention.

Ok, there is no way consciousness exists, because without an infinite continuum we arrive back at t=0, at which time untermensche makes sense.... because it doesn't exist.

Is there a FUCKING moderator that can tell the difference between some ignorant ASSHOLE engaging in harassment and a person honestly engaging?
Who is that poster you are calling an ignorant arsehole, and do you see the irony of calling for a moderator to intervene in the same sentence?

Ok, there is no way consciousness exists, because without an infinite continuum we arrive back at t=0, at which time untermensche makes sense.... because it doesn't exist.

IMO all you are doing here is masturbating in public.

Have you no shame?

Just tell me how infinite days occurred before yesterday.

How did that happen?

Your answer will show how well you have thought this out.

- - - Updated - - -

Who is that poster you are calling an ignorant arsehole, and do you see the irony of calling for a moderator to intervene in the same sentence?

What behavior am I calling ignorant?

Back
Top Bottom