• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Consciousness

Who is that poster you are calling an ignorant arsehole, and do you see the irony of calling for a moderator to intervene in the same sentence?

What behavior am I calling ignorant?
The behaviour of someone you're calling an ignorant arsehole. I thought you knew that, but no worries. If you want to know anything else, feel free to ask.

That is not even an idea.

It is less.

It is a little turd left by a little mind.

And you find it worth doing.

(meant for the post two posts above)

- - - Updated - - -

Who is that poster you are calling an ignorant arsehole, and do you see the irony of calling for a moderator to intervene in the same sentence?

What behavior am I calling ignorant?
The behaviour of someone you're calling an ignorant arsehole. I thought you knew that, but no worries. If you want to know anything else, feel free to ask.

Do you have a point?

IMO all you are doing here is masturbating in public.
That's not all I do.
Have you no shame?
I wish I had a pile of drugs for Christmas, so I could masturbate wildly and love whatever fucking entities figured out how to be so awesome.... but I don't. I mean, a pile of drugs and a girl would be nice, but you know, sometimes you only get the drugs. Which is awesome too....
Just tell me how infinite days occurred before yesterday.
Days did not occur until spinny things existed. Sort of like months didn't exist prior to some thing that has to do with the tides, tides which nobody can explain (they come in, they go out, nobody knows why).

How did that happen?
It didn't.

Your answer will show how well you have thought this out.
I doubt it.

Blind sight; the brain working with information without conscious representation/vision.

Quote;
''Clearly, despite his blindness, Daniel’s healthy eyes were still watching the world and passing the information to his unconscious, which was guiding his behaviour. Publishing a report in 1974, Weiskrantz coined the term “blindsight” to describe this fractured conscious state. “Some were sceptical, of course, but it has held its own and become an accepted phenomenon,” Weiskrantz says today. And over the following decades, the condition has come to answer some fundamental questions about the human mind.

Just how many of our decisions occur out of our awareness, even when we have the illusion of control? And if the conscious mind is not needed to direct our actions, then what is its purpose? Why did we evolve this vivid internal life, if we are almost “zombies” acting without awareness?

“These cases open a window into parts of the brain that are normally not visible,” says Marco Tamietto, who is based at Tilburg University. “They offer a view to functions that are difficult to observe – that are normally silent.”

Clearly, despite his blindness, Daniel’s healthy eyes were still watching the world and passing the information to his unconscious, which was guiding his behaviour. Publishing a report in 1974, Weiskrantz coined the term “blindsight” to describe this fractured conscious state. “Some were sceptical, of course, but it has held its own and become an accepted phenomenon,” Weiskrantz says today. And over the following decades, the condition has come to answer some fundamental questions about the human mind.

''Just how many of our decisions occur out of our awareness, even when we have the illusion of control? And if the conscious mind is not needed to direct our actions, then what is its purpose? Why did we evolve this vivid internal life, if we are almost “zombies” acting without awareness?

“These cases open a window into parts of the brain that are normally not visible,” says Marco Tamietto, who is based at Tilburg University. “They offer a view to functions that are difficult to observe – that are normally silent.”

''In 2008, Tamietto and Weiskrantz’s team put another blindsight patient through the most gruelling test yet. Unlike Daniel, he was blind across the whole of his visual field, and normally walked with a white cane. But the team took away his cane and then loaded a corridor with furniture that might potentially trip him up, before asking him make his way to the other side. “Despite saying he wasn’t able to see, we saw him shooting by on his very first attempt,” says Tamietto. ''

An excellent example of the unconscious taking action without consciousness aware of it. However, consciousness gave the "order" to proceed down that corridor. Or consciously accepted the experimenter's suggestion.

Another is the basketball counting video: https://youtu.be/vJG698U2Mvo ... After you've tried your best to count the basketballs

The reason you missed the gorilla was that you literally did not see it if you were following instructions. Watching the basketball (or any object) move makes it impossible to see other objects change.

The conscious attends to high-level tasks and decisions. "I think I'll take a walk." The unconscious attends to standing, putting on outer wear if needed, walking to the door and exiting. Now the conscious decides where to walk today. Then the unconscious makes that happen. You might decide to wave. Your unconscious makes it happen. I ran across the word "obfuscation." I didn't know, then, what it meant. I decided to learn it. I now understand unconsciously what a colleague mean by "Eschew obfuscation." All learning is training the unconscious. All action is executed by the unconscious. The conscious is slow, the unconscious fast. The conscious is for reasoning and planning. and justifying what the unconscious did without you thinking about it.

You made no point about me.

I do not post a link to some meaningless Wikipedia article and nothing else.

And do it over and over like an ape throwing it's feces against the glass.

An excellent example of the unconscious taking action without consciousness aware of it. However, consciousness gave the "order" to proceed down that corridor. Or consciously accepted the experimenter's suggestion.

That too is several steps along in the process of cognition which begins with sensory input, the sensory information relating to the suggestion or request to take an option, perform the action, etc, which is an unconscious activity until brought to consciousness (mentally represented) or performed unconsciously as described in the experiment.

Blind sight; the brain working with information without conscious representation/vision.

Quote;
''Clearly, despite his blindness, Daniel’s healthy eyes were still watching the world and passing the information to his unconscious, which was guiding his behaviour. Publishing a report in 1974, Weiskrantz coined the term “blindsight” to describe this fractured conscious state. “Some were sceptical, of course, but it has held its own and become an accepted phenomenon,” Weiskrantz says today. And over the following decades, the condition has come to answer some fundamental questions about the human mind.

Just how many of our decisions occur out of our awareness, even when we have the illusion of control? And if the conscious mind is not needed to direct our actions, then what is its purpose? Why did we evolve this vivid internal life, if we are almost “zombies” acting without awareness?

Clearly, despite his blindness, Daniel’s healthy eyes were still watching the world and passing the information to his unconscious, which was guiding his behaviour. Publishing a report in 1974, Weiskrantz coined the term “blindsight” to describe this fractured conscious state. “Some were sceptical, of course, but it has held its own and become an accepted phenomenon,” Weiskrantz says today. And over the following decades, the condition has come to answer some fundamental questions about the human mind.

''Just how many of our decisions occur out of our awareness, even when we have the illusion of control? And if the conscious mind is not needed to direct our actions, then what is its purpose? Why did we evolve this vivid internal life, if we are almost “zombies” acting without awareness?

''In 2008, Tamietto and Weiskrantz’s team put another blindsight patient through the most gruelling test yet. Unlike Daniel, he was blind across the whole of his visual field, and normally walked with a white cane. But the team took away his cane and then loaded a corridor with furniture that might potentially trip him up, before asking him make his way to the other side. “Despite saying he wasn’t able to see, we saw him shooting by on his very first attempt,” says Tamietto. ''

Vision helps the consciousness direct motion.

Vision is the conscious representation of information the brain acquired through its senses, the eyes. It is indeed this information that the brain uses to direct motion by means of consciousness. Consciousness being the brains mental map of environment and self....which in the case of Blind Sight it is able to bypass conscious vision and act on the information directly. This being a more difficult task.

Now I'm only pretending to be a moderator here, but I'm pretty certain that if one feels one wants the attention of the mod team then one presses the magic triangle at the bottom of every single post. Then all you have to do is explain how you think the post violates the TOU here and the mods will look into it.

However, it does seem odd to complain about the lack of moderation without actually asking for some to happen. What's that all about?

Is there any FUCKING moderation in this forum?

Why is ignorant harassment allowed to go on and on?

More irony. Are you not aware of your own tendency to insult everyone who happens to disagree with your beliefs?

I attack bad ideas.

This usually get an attack of ME in return.

I have attacked bad idea after bad idea from you. One bad argument after another.

If you see this as some attack of your person that is your problem.

I attack bad ideas.
Indirectly by claiming they are fact, right? I remember seeing a movie or TV show, although it was not an accurate historical documentary like the The Flintstones, in which the protagonist was going to meet with some Asian businessmen.

The businesspersons did not speak directly about business- they sort of talked about it like a mob guy talking about wacking someone off: Did you jack him? Yeah, he's sleeping with the fishes, which is very uncomfortable this time of year in the Northern Hemisphere.

So, maybe you just don't talk about ideas presented to you because of your culture, which might be based on something you saw in a Jackie Chan flick about philosophical discourse.

So while you attack bad ideas by supporting them in your untermensche role, I'm a bit curious about whether you think it's useful to present good ideas by supporting them in some other role, like if you're someone else here's sock puppet? Or do you believe that there are enough intelligent individuals out there to push against bad ideas...

I attack bad ideas.
Indirectly by claiming they are fact, right?

Yes I am right.

I attack ideas, not people.

Bad ideas like it is possible there were infinite days before yesterday.

Can you explain what idea you are attacking here:

You said:
I do not post a link to some meaningless Wikipedia article and nothing else.

And do it over and over like an ape throwing it's feces against the glass.

Or quite how ideas masturbate:

You said:
IMO all you are doing here is masturbating in public.

etc

You said:
Is there anything you are not completely wrong about?

etc... etc...

Can you explain how these are not attacks on people?

I attack bad ideas.
Indirectly by claiming they are fact, right?

Yes I am right.

I attack ideas, not people.

Bad ideas like it is possible there were infinite days before yesterday.

The possibility of "infinite days before yesterday" is true only if time is unending not only in the future but also in the past.

Your claim is the claim that time itself had a beginning. There was no "before" because time zero is the absolute beginning.

In an alternate universe to yours time is infinite in both past and future directions. No beginning. No ending. Motion in time always. Perhaps, though, space is the latecomer. Time with nothing going on for an infinity of seconds with no space for anything but time to be in. Then in the smallest space it could be in, energy. So compressed it is only unstructured energy. This thing can't get any smaller. It can only express its existence by expanding. By expanding cooling. And in cooling energy changes. Plasmas change to gases. Gases change to liquids. Liquids to solids. And the rest is, as they say, history (literally).

You're not thinking the thing through.

Infinite days is not any number of days.

It is the conception of days without end.

Only a specific number of days could have occurred before any day.

The conception of days without end could not have.

Back
Top Bottom