• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

"Coronavirus and the US" or "We are all going to die!!!!"

Everything about you says "healthy." I cannot say the same for the majority of people I see. Even if they appear healthy I can accurately presume that their diets are garbage. People have lost their connection with a healthy, sustaining diet. For the most part they think their is some kind of magical way your body obtains the nutrients it needs.

The best defense is to stay healthy, eat healthy, keep the weight off, exercise to exhaustion on a regularly basis, pick up heavy things, stretch, jump, do whatever it takes to mimic the lifestyle our bodies crave to be healthy. Use it or lose it, no matter your age.

I was reading that in China, although the virus took many lives, because of how people had to adjust many more lives were saved. That doesn't mean we can eat garbage and live like slugs, only that we have a lot to learn.

I heard that some European countries are hoping for 100% exposure to the virus, doing to nothing to stop its spread. People will die, but there will be no recurrence.

How many countries are actually doing that? Belarus, Russia? Who else?

There is so much bs flying around, many more people are falling for it than usual. Kind of like the “disturbing trend” of teens coughing on vegetables in the grocery store.

Sweden still plays life as normal.

Looks like doctor Trump was right, anti-malaria drug works against corona-virus tremendously well.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0924857920300996

Conclusion
Despite its small sample size our survey shows that hydroxychloroquine treatment is significantly associated with viral load reduction/disappearance in COVID-19 patients and its effect is reinforced by azithromycin.

The best you can say is that the results look promising but are inconclusive, because those getting the drug knew that they were getting it and the doctors knew which patients were getting the drug. So there was likely some placebo effect. A double-blind study is needed to actually prove that the drug is effective. I believe that the French government has yet to accept the results of this study as proof of effectiveness.

Looks like doctor Trump was right, anti-malaria drug works against corona-virus tremendously well.

Conclusion
Despite its small sample size our survey shows that hydroxychloroquine treatment is significantly associated with viral load reduction/disappearance in COVID-19 patients and its effect is reinforced by azithromycin.

The best you can say is that the results look promising but are inconclusive, because those getting the drug knew that they were getting it and the doctors knew which patients were getting the drug. So there was likely some placebo effect. A double-blind study is needed to actually prove that the drug is effective. I believe that the French government has yet to accept the results of this study as proof of effectiveness.
Placebo cause virus count to drop?

No, that could be the immune system in patients who believe they are getting a cure. Hence the need for a double-blind study that uses placebos.

Conclusion

It's not a high quality study.

There's also the problem of the dose--this is a case where the cure might be worse than the disease.

No, that could be the immune system in patients who believe they are getting a cure. Hence the need for a double-blind study that uses placebos.

They're doing a larger study now involving multiple drugs, but it won't be double-blind.

They're doing a larger study now involving multiple drugs, but it won't be double-blind.

It may take more time to set up a double-blind study, so the larger study makes sense. I have no medical credentials and fully admit that I am not qualified to judge that. I believe that other studies are taking place, and they should be using the standard double-blind method.

What I trust is advice from experts like Dr. Fauci, who did what he could to correct the misinformation spread by his boss. I hope that the man will not be fired for it. At one point, he did a facepalm during one of Trump's speeches. A reporter asked him if he had been scolded for it, and he said "No comment". He also said that he could not jump out in front of the microphone and "push him down". Fauci is too popular to fire immediately, but his days are probably numbered. Too much honesty.

Now we have a new death from chloroquine that may get through to people trying to defend Trump's irresponsible, idiotic endorsement of an untested drug. This time it is an American in Arizona. Not from one of those shithole countries, apparently, and possibly just another American who took Trump seriously. He and his wife, both in their 60s, took some chloroquine phosphate, which is used to clean fish tanks, in order to stave off infection. Within an hour, he died and she ended up in emergency care.

See Man dies after ingesting chloroquine in an attempt to prevent coronavirus

No, that could be the immune system in patients who believe they are getting a cure.
That would be even bigger discovery.

No, that could be the immune system in patients who believe they are getting a cure.
That would be even bigger discovery.

It would be consistent with past "discoveries".

No, it would not. Study you mentioned does not mention placebo. So it's not relevant to the discussion. Also correlation != causation. The fact that anxiety correlates with suppressed immune system does not mean one causes another, it could be "another" causes one or both caused by another "another".

Moreover, placebo effect was studied and it was found that it disappears when you discount patient "feelings" and use objective data points such as virus load or patient being dead versus not dead.

By the time a person needs a ventilator they have very poor odds, right?

A study on 138 hospitalized patients with 2019-nCoV infection, published on February 7 on JAMA, found that 26% of patients required admission to the intensive care unit (ICU) and 4.3% died, but a number of patients were still hospitalized at the time. [9]

A previous study had found that, out of 41 admitted hospital patients, 13 (32%) patients were admitted to an ICU and six (15%) died.[5]​

(source, the studies are linked at the source)

So one study that finds about half of those admitted to ICU died, and another where just under 20% had died, but in this one, some where still hospitalized at the time of writing and may have died later.

Not necessarily. Lots of patients need to be temporarily ventilated for all kinds of reasons, but still survive following treatment. When there is a shortage of ventilators, medical professionals will have to decide who has the best chances of surviving and let the rest die. The problem is that medical professionals aren't perfect and sometimes those that appear likely to survive will die, while some who were denied treatment might have survived if they had access to effective treatment. This is what Italy has been doing over the last several weeks.

If you have an interest in medical science or want to learn more about the most severe cases of COVID-19, you might learn something from reading the entire article. It helped me feel less anxious about getting the virus. I don't want it. I hate colds and flus and haven't had any in years, but I think that my husband and I are healthy enough, with decent immune systems, that we would likely survive without any serious complications.
200323-cameron-van-der-burgh-cs-1151a_c23421dd09521e9a9d835c1057546bb5.fit-1240w.jpg
Are you healthier than this guy?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...n-van-der-burgh-battling-coronavirus-n1166961
Of course it could be that all these steroids have an effect.

Any physical activity, such as walking, leaves him exhausted for hours, he said.
We don't know for sure but it could be permanent.

If you have an interest in medical science or want to learn more about the most severe cases of COVID-19, you might learn something from reading the entire article. It helped me feel less anxious about getting the virus. I don't want it. I hate colds and flus and haven't had any in years, but I think that my husband and I are healthy enough, with decent immune systems, that we would likely survive without any serious complications.
View attachment 26692
Are you healthier than this guy?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...n-van-der-burgh-battling-coronavirus-n1166961
Of course it could be that all these steroids have an effect.

I've also read that too much chlorine is a low level chronic burden on the lungs.

No, it would not. Study you mentioned does not mention placebo. So it's not relevant to the discussion. Also correlation != causation. The fact that anxiety correlates with suppressed immune system does not mean one causes another, it could be "another" causes one or both caused by another "another".

Moreover, placebo effect was studied and it was found that it disappears when you discount patient "feelings" and use objective data points such as virus load or patient being dead versus not dead.

To the limited extent that "anxiety" is quantifiable, it has consistently shown a negative correlation with (more quantifiable) immune system health.
The fact that this might surprise you does not invalidate the work that has been done.

To the limited extent that "anxiety" is quantifiable, it has consistently shown a negative correlation with (more quantifiable) immune system health.
I literally just told you that correlation != causation.
The fact that this might surprise you does not invalidate the work that has been done.
I am not doing your job. Find the study which established that anxiety is the cause.
The study I remember is the one where they tried to study it in cancer patient and found no correlation whatsoever, forget about causation.

Back
Top Bottom