• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

"Coronavirus and the US" or "We are all going to die!!!!"

Sweden has a different approach to the virus crisis;

''Sweden is adopting a 'flexible' coronavirus response and betting on 'social obedience'

Rather than telling people what to do — or, worse, telling them off — the Government is asking Swedes to do the right thing, and giving them the liberty to prove they are responsible citizens. While the Government has taken some measures, such as limiting social gatherings to 50 people and closing high schools and universities, experts say it is betting on Sweden's "social obedience". But that's a lot of trust to put in your people at a time of global pandemic, and a gamble that could have catastrophic consequences.

By his own account, Mr Magnusson, 30, is an example that the 'recommendations, not restrictions' approach can work. "I used to go to the gym three to four times a week, but I haven't been there since the pandemic ramped up," he said.''

Because Sweden's Government has taken a vastly different, more flexible approach than many Western countries, including its Scandinavian neighbours, he sometimes feels "torn".

"If it turns out that Sweden gets through this pandemic quite alright, this will be a stroke of a genius," he said."It could [also] be that Sweden is just three weeks behind Italy and it'll hit us like a sledgehammer." If Mr Nordenberg has his doubts, his 74-year-old father Richard, a former navy pilot, puts unwavering trust in the Swedish Government's "very reasonable strategy". He said rather than isolating the whole society, the Government has put the onus on the elderly, asking them to stay home.

Magnus Barnell thinks the world will benefit from trying different approaches for any future events. "If it shows that our approach ultimately also can work, then it means that we can return back to normal society," he said.

"Whereas if it shows it doesn't work, then you will see more states becoming very restrictive [in future events]."His wife, Nele, hopes that if at any point the Government realises the country is on the wrong trajectory, it changes course immediately.

"But at this point I don't think they have to take any harsher measures. I do believe that if they see things are changing, I believe that they would change their strategy," she said. 'People will not tolerate a complete lockdown'

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/hea...cine-might-protect-against-covid-19-1.4222110
TB vaccination again.
A study of 178 countries by an Irish medical consultant working with epidemiologists at the University of Texas in Houston shows countries with vaccination programmes – including Ireland – have far fewer coronavirus cases by a factor 10, compared to where BCG programmes are no longer deployed
Weird, I am looking at https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ and it is only factor of 2 between Ireland and UK

The UK has a BCG vaccination program - or at least, it did in the 1980s, when I got my BCG shot along with the rest of my class at school.

Sweden has a different approach to the virus crisis;

''Sweden is adopting a 'flexible' coronavirus response and betting on 'social obedience'

Rather than telling people what to do — or, worse, telling them off — the Government is asking Swedes to do the right thing, and giving them the liberty to prove they are responsible citizens. While the Government has taken some measures, such as limiting social gatherings to 50 people and closing high schools and universities, experts say it is betting on Sweden's "social obedience". But that's a lot of trust to put in your people at a time of global pandemic, and a gamble that could have catastrophic consequences.

By his own account, Mr Magnusson, 30, is an example that the 'recommendations, not restrictions' approach can work. "I used to go to the gym three to four times a week, but I haven't been there since the pandemic ramped up," he said.''

Because Sweden's Government has taken a vastly different, more flexible approach than many Western countries, including its Scandinavian neighbours, he sometimes feels "torn".

"If it turns out that Sweden gets through this pandemic quite alright, this will be a stroke of a genius," he said."It could [also] be that Sweden is just three weeks behind Italy and it'll hit us like a sledgehammer." If Mr Nordenberg has his doubts, his 74-year-old father Richard, a former navy pilot, puts unwavering trust in the Swedish Government's "very reasonable strategy". He said rather than isolating the whole society, the Government has put the onus on the elderly, asking them to stay home.

Magnus Barnell thinks the world will benefit from trying different approaches for any future events. "If it shows that our approach ultimately also can work, then it means that we can return back to normal society," he said.

"Whereas if it shows it doesn't work, then you will see more states becoming very restrictive [in future events]."His wife, Nele, hopes that if at any point the Government realises the country is on the wrong trajectory, it changes course immediately.

"But at this point I don't think they have to take any harsher measures. I do believe that if they see things are changing, I believe that they would change their strategy," she said. 'People will not tolerate a complete lockdown'

Sweden is now just shy of 500 officially recorded deaths as of yesterday (76 yesterday alone), though if nothing else, the fact that people appear to not die on weekends there should make us suspicious of how diligently they are recording their deaths: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/sweden/

They had 40 deaths on March 24th, an 12fold increase in 2 weeks, and daily deaths are still trending upward (at least if we ignore the weekend numbers).

Austria, with a similar population, had 28 deaths on March 24th and 220 as of yesterday, less than an 8fold increase, and daily deaths appear to have stabilized for the last week, with around 15+/-5 daily deaths whether on weekdays or weekends: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/austria/

No, I don't think the Swedish model is worth copying.

Last edited:
Hopeful trends for Spain (declines in new cases and deaths).

cases.png

deaths.png

April 7 (GMT): 3835 new cases and 457 new deaths in Spain
April 6 (GMT): 5029 new cases and 700 new deaths in Spain
April 5 (GMT): 5478 new cases and 694 new deaths in Spain
April 4 (GMT): 6969 new cases and 749 new deaths in Spain
April 3 (GMT): 7134 new cases and 850 new deaths in Spain
April 2 (GMT): 7947 new cases and 961 new deaths in Spain
April 1 (GMT): 8195 new cases and 923 new deaths in Spain

New daily cases more than halved over the last 6 days.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/spain/

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 12.14.53.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 12.14.53.png
    79.9 KB · Views: 1
Somewhat similarly for Italy (declines in new cases and deaths over the last 5 days, apart from a rise in the latter yesterday).

cases.png

deaths.png

April 6 (GMT): 3599 new cases and 636 new deaths in Italy.
April 5 (GMT): 4316 new cases and 525 new deaths in Italy.
April 4 (GMT): 4805 new cases and 681 new deaths in Italy.
April 3 (GMT): 4585 new cases and 766 new deaths in Italy.
April 2 (GMT): 4668 new cases and 760 new deaths in Italy.
April 1 (GMT): 4782 new cases and 727 new deaths in Italy.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/

View attachment 26954

View attachment 26955

Somewhat similarly for Italy (declines in new cases and deaths, apart from a rise in the latter yesterday).

Yesterday's rise might be due to deaths from Sunday being reported belatedly, it being a Sunday and all. Though of course at this level, an actual fluctuation of the underlying real deaths is also possible.

Yesterday's rise might be due to deaths from Sunday being reported belatedly, it being a Sunday and all. Though of course at this level, an actual fluctuation of the underlying real deaths is also possible.

Yes.

I'm hoping that the general declines in those two countries do manage to continue (Italy's figures for the last 24 hours not in yet) because it might suggest that they are over the worst and that other countries might reach that point too, possibly in a few weeks.

With the caveat that all data is potentially unreliable, of course.

I just wish all these charts were based on per capita figures. It would be so much easier to compare them and figure out where we are and which countrys' responses have been more effective.

I just wish all these charts were based on per capita figures. It would be so much easier to compare them and figure out where we are and which countrys' responses have been more effective.

Per capita figures for the US as a whole are pretty useless though, when the country is so large and cases all but uniformly spread.

Per capita, recorded deaths in New York state aren't much behind Italy anymore, though - 243 vs. 273 per million, the difference being that Italy's daily deaths are on the decline already.

Per capita figures for the US as a whole are pretty useless though, when the country is so large and cases all but uniformly spread. ...

I'd find it helpful. Statistics are only meaningful relative to something. Absolute numbers of deaths per day per country might appeal to one's sense of compassion where every life has value but the only thing meaningful about the country has to do with their overall policy and its effectiveness. It would be good as far as learning something about how to best deal with pandemics in the future. The US is a mess of different policies that will probably prolong the epidemic as people travel between the various states.

As of today, NYC's official death toll has surpassed Wuhan's at 2,562 vs. 2,535.

And no, NYC is not bigger, Wuhan is.

Wuhan's population: 11.08 M (2018)
NYC's population: 8.623 M (2017)

Wuhan has 28% more people than NYC.

Just a review of a video from a month ago which explains exactly how and why HCQ (plus a zinc supplement with the RDA of 10mcg/day if not already on, say, Centrum). The ZPac is to take care of any possible lung infection by bacteria.
Since there is a zinc ionophore, OTC Quercetin, I take it.
https://youtu.be/Eeh054-Hx1U
(Start at minute 4 and by minute 15 you will learn a lot about viruses and why zinc is the key.)

Sweden is providing an interesting test case. After it is all over, we can see if the new approach at dealing with pandemics by shutting down a country or our old (and Sweden's current) method of dealing with them yields better results.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/04/coronavirus-response-sweden-avoids-isolation-economic-ruin/

Has Sweden Found the Right Solution to the Coronavirus?

Unlike other countries, it has so far avoided both isolation and economic ruin.
If the COVID-19 pandemic tails off in a few weeks, months before the alarmists claim it will, they will probably pivot immediately and pat themselves on the back for the brilliant social-distancing controls that they imposed on the world. They will claim that their heroic recommendations averted total calamity. Unfortunately, they will be wrong; and Sweden, which has done almost no mandated social distancing, will probably prove them wrong.

...snip...

Here's a good video describing the course of the disease.

[YOUTUBE]OOJqHPfG7pA[/YOUTUBE]

Keep the Parks Open: Public green spaces are good for the immune system and the mind—and they can be rationed to allow for social distancing. - Zeynep Tufekci -The Atlantic

I concur so hard. It depends on the local circumstances, but around me, the sidewalks are getting too crowded, while the much wider trails and open space parks are closed off. And a park is not as risky as a store, viruses don't spread as easy outdoors than in. Hopefully, we'll get this sorted right.

Yeah, but kids need to stay off of jungle gyms and swings.

Back
Top Bottom