• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

"Coronavirus and the US" or "We are all going to die!!!!"

No, that's capitalism - using your financial clout and ownership of resources to advance your own opinions and suppress those you dislike.

Every wealthy person and powerful corporation does this, and always has. It's not censorship, and it's not new.

If you think capitalism has some serious problems, you are right. But the workings of capitalism are not censorship, even when they have the effect of getting VASTLY more airtime for (eg) Rupert Murdoch's opinion, and vastly less for repoman's.
The argument from congress critters against these social media sites is exactly that they are acting as a capitalistic, competitive sites advancing their political views. They have been given special legal protections because they claimed they were only an open forum and didn't edit content (so weren't legally responsible for content). The argument is if they should be recognized as publishers, which are free to advance any views they wish, which would remove their special legal protections and put them on a legally level playing field with other publishers.

For one example: Operators of open forums can not be sued for liable or slander but publishers can.

That just highlights a major problem with our system of laws - it's very bad at handling truly novel situations.

The idea that you are either a publisher, or not responsible for any defamation in your media, is a stupid false dichotomy that got enshrined in law back in a prior era, when it was sufficiently true that it didn't matter.

Social media is a square peg, and fits neither the round nor the triangular holes - but the law assumes that it must fit one or the other.

Eventually someone will pass laws that reflect the new reality. Until then, people will be able to act unethically without legal censure; Or will be prevented from perfectly reasonable and ethical actions by the law; or both.

N95 masks can be sanitized in electric cookers, study suggests - The Washington Post
“It just happened that both Vishal and myself and a number of our students are Asian, and we cook rice every night,” Nguyen said. “We said like, ‘Oh, maybe some type of electric cooker might work.’ ”

She swiftly dispatched one of her students to Walmart with specific instructions. “Look for something at Walmart anyone can buy,” she said. “Something easy. They just hit the button.”

The student came back with a Farberware multifunction pressure cooker that cost about $50.
noting
Dry Heat as a Decontamination Method for N95 Respirator Reuse | Environmental Science & Technology Letters
A pandemic such as COVID-19 can cause a sudden depletion of the worldwide supply of respirators, forcing healthcare providers to reuse them. In this study, we systematically evaluated dry heat treatment as a viable option for the safe decontamination of N95 respirators (1860, 3M) before their reuse. We found that the dry heat generated by an electric cooker (100 °C, 5% relative humidity, 50 min) effectively inactivated Tulane virus (TV, >5.2-log10 reduction), rotavirus (RV, >6.6-log10 reduction), adenovirus (AdV, >4.0-log10 reduction), and transmissible gastroenteritis virus (TGEV, >4.7-log10 reduction). The respirator integrity (determined on the basis of the particle filtration efficiency and quantitative fit testing) was not compromised after 20 cycles of a 50 min dry heat treatment. On the basis of these results, dry heat decontamination generated by an electric cooker (e.g., rice cookers, instant pots, and ovens) could be an effective and accessible decontamination method for the safe reuse of N95 respirators. We recommend users measure the temperature during decontamination to ensure the respirator temperature can be maintained at 100 °C for 50 min.
I like that.

We read about sanitizing the masks in the slow cooker. I think that's nuts since you have to leave them in there for 50 minutes. It's easier and just as effective to soak them in hot soapy water, rinse well and hang to dry. That is my preferred method of keeping my masks clean and ready to use. I have 4 that fit me perfectly. I was able to find a size small as all the regular sized masks are way too big for me. Masks really should come in sizes. We don't all have the same size faces. My husband made one for himself because he has a thick beard and none of the store bought ones effectively covered it.

Meanwhile, I heard yesterday that the WH COVID committee has told our idiot governor that he needs to do more to help decrease the spread. That's really bad when the idiots in the WH have to tell you that. There's also been some evidence that Georgia's leaders aren't being honest about the number of cases here. Since I only go out about twice a week to the grocery store, I have no idea what's going on nearby. The stores are empty at 7 or 8 in the morning.

It's been reported here that the corona virus was found on some imported frozen foodstuff in China. If true, this is truly a calamity.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/f...m/news-story/4eeb5391df884a4b97292840aeff19b3

I read about that somewhere else, but the article I read said there was no evidence that the virus could be spread from the chicken.

But, a 15 year old with no underlying conditions died in Georgia of COVID. I don't think this is a good time for schools to be open. I'm relieved that my county has decided to go all virtual. Maybe kids should take a gap year. ;)

https://www.ajc.com/news/15-year-old-gwinnett-boy-dies-of-covid-19/GXHK2K5KPFBATA5XU4RMF54LXE/

A 15-year-old Gwinnett County boy with no underlying conditions has died after contracting COVID-19, according to the Georgia Department of Public Health.

The teen’s death was listed on the DPH website during the health department’s daily update on Friday afternoon. He is the youngest person to die of COVID-19 complications in metro Atlanta and the second-youngest to die in Georgia.

N95 masks can be sanitized in electric cookers, study suggests - The Washington Post
“It just happened that both Vishal and myself and a number of our students are Asian, and we cook rice every night,” Nguyen said. “We said like, ‘Oh, maybe some type of electric cooker might work.’ ”

She swiftly dispatched one of her students to Walmart with specific instructions. “Look for something at Walmart anyone can buy,” she said. “Something easy. They just hit the button.”

The student came back with a Farberware multifunction pressure cooker that cost about $50.
noting
Dry Heat as a Decontamination Method for N95 Respirator Reuse | Environmental Science & Technology Letters
A pandemic such as COVID-19 can cause a sudden depletion of the worldwide supply of respirators, forcing healthcare providers to reuse them. In this study, we systematically evaluated dry heat treatment as a viable option for the safe decontamination of N95 respirators (1860, 3M) before their reuse. We found that the dry heat generated by an electric cooker (100 °C, 5% relative humidity, 50 min) effectively inactivated Tulane virus (TV, >5.2-log10 reduction), rotavirus (RV, >6.6-log10 reduction), adenovirus (AdV, >4.0-log10 reduction), and transmissible gastroenteritis virus (TGEV, >4.7-log10 reduction). The respirator integrity (determined on the basis of the particle filtration efficiency and quantitative fit testing) was not compromised after 20 cycles of a 50 min dry heat treatment. On the basis of these results, dry heat decontamination generated by an electric cooker (e.g., rice cookers, instant pots, and ovens) could be an effective and accessible decontamination method for the safe reuse of N95 respirators. We recommend users measure the temperature during decontamination to ensure the respirator temperature can be maintained at 100 °C for 50 min.
I like that.

I don't like it--that's going to beat up the masks much faster than the microwave over a pan with a bit of water approach.

We read about sanitizing the masks in the slow cooker. I think that's nuts since you have to leave them in there for 50 minutes. It's easier and just as effective to soak them in hot soapy water, rinse well and hang to dry. That is my preferred method of keeping my masks clean and ready to use. I have 4 that fit me perfectly. I was able to find a size small as all the regular sized masks are way too big for me. Masks really should come in sizes. We don't all have the same size faces. My husband made one for himself because he has a thick beard and none of the store bought ones effectively covered it.

The article was about N95s--and you don't want to use any liquid-based cleaning approach with them. Even one washing with plain water substantially degrades them. (Note, though, that steam doesn't do the damage water does.)

Meanwhile, I heard yesterday that the WH COVID committee has told our idiot governor that he needs to do more to help decrease the spread. That's really bad when the idiots in the WH have to tell you that. There's also been some evidence that Georgia's leaders aren't being honest about the number of cases here. Since I only go out about twice a week to the grocery store, I have no idea what's going on nearby. The stores are empty at 7 or 8 in the morning.

It's a red state, expect they're messing with the data.

It's been reported here that the corona virus was found on some imported frozen foodstuff in China. If true, this is truly a calamity.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/f...m/news-story/4eeb5391df884a4b97292840aeff19b3

Keyword: Frozen.

There have been multiple incidents that seem to say it can be transported on frozen food and survive the journey. I don't consider it a calamity, just something that needs a bit of care. I bought frozen shrimp this morning, I handled it the same as I do any other such perishables--wiped down with a disinfecting wipe before it goes in the freezer. Everything that comes in either gets quarantined or wiped down.

How many people actually wipe down their frozen perishables before putting them away, Very few is my guess.

We do. All refrigerated or frozen items are wiped down. Everything else goes in the quarantine box for a few days. Cardboard packaged items for 24 hours. Plastic for 72 hours.

The mail also goes into 24 hour quarantine.

How many people actually wipe down their frozen perishables before putting them away, Very few is my guess.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/08/13/covid-19-chicken-wings-brazil-china-coronavirus/3371923001/

A sample of frozen chicken wings transported from Brazil to China tested positive for COVID-19, Chinese officials announced Thursday.

But there is no evidence that shows the coronavirus can be transmitted by eating or handling food, according to health experts.

Health officials in the Shenzhen Longgang District inspected imported frozen food Wednesday when a surface sample of frozen chicken wings tested positive for the coronavirus, according to a statement released by the Shenzhen Epidemic Prevention and Control Headquarters Office.

The agency then tested other products and people who may have been in contact with the chicken wings. All tests came back negative, the statement said.

Outback Steakhouse, IHOP, Denny's and more:6 national restaurant chains in deepest trouble amid COVID-19

While many took to Twitter to express their disappointment, current evidence shows that coronaviruses, like COVID-19, are mainly spread through person-to-person contact, according to guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"There is no evidence to suggest that handling food or consuming food is associated with COVID-19," the CDC says.

However, it is possible to catch the virus by touching an infected surface or object, including food or food packaging, the CDC says. But the risk is very low.

According to the CDC, there have been no confirmed cases in which a person became infected from touching food, food packaging or shopping bags.

Washing your hands after handling food packages would probably be all that is needed. I really don't worry about surfaces anymore. I'm not even sure there have been any cases that have been proven to be connected to touching surfaces. If I were caring for someone who was sick with the disease, that would be different, but I feel safe when it comes to handling groceries, mail etc. I just wash my hands after I unpack those things. It's being in close contact with others that we need to worry about. We can drive ourselves nuts if we constantly worry about everything we touch.

We do. All refrigerated or frozen items are wiped down. Everything else goes in the quarantine box for a few days. Cardboard packaged items for 24 hours. Plastic for 72 hours.

The mail also goes into 24 hour quarantine.

Yup, although I disagree on a quarantine box--that means new stuff touching old stuff. Packages get shoved under a table that's near the door, I keep track of how long they have been there. I go 4 days on plastic rather than 3 and I pay attention to the inner packaging--it's likewise subject to quarantine based on the shipping time. (We have an Amazon warehouse in town--it's quite possible for the 24 hours on a cardboard box to be up but the plastic-wrapped item inside be at only 48 hours.) If I'm not confident as to what the inner packaging will be I either wait 4 days from shipping or dump the box onto the sofa to see if the contents need more quarantine time.

Also, for most packages I bring them in with a grabber rather than by picking them up. Unless they're envelope type things that pretty much means shoving rather than lifting, I couldn't put them in a box if I wanted to.

"There is no evidence to suggest that handling food or consuming food is associated with COVID-19," the CDC says.

However, it is possible to catch the virus by touching an infected surface or object, including food or food packaging, the CDC says. But the risk is very low.

According to the CDC, there have been no confirmed cases in which a person became infected from touching food, food packaging or shopping bags.

Washing your hands after handling food packages would probably be all that is needed. I really don't worry about surfaces anymore. I'm not even sure there have been any cases that have been proven to be connected to touching surfaces. If I were caring for someone who was sick with the disease, that would be different, but I feel safe when it comes to handling groceries, mail etc. I just wash my hands after I unpack those things. It's being in close contact with others that we need to worry about. We can drive ourselves nuts if we constantly worry about everything we touch.

The CDC is behind the times. There appear to be actual cases from frozen food.

Yup, although I disagree on a quarantine box--that means new stuff touching old stuff. Packages get shoved under a table that's near the door, I keep track of how long they have been there. I go 4 days on plastic rather than 3 and I pay attention to the inner packaging--it's likewise subject to quarantine based on the shipping time. (We have an Amazon warehouse in town--it's quite possible for the 24 hours on a cardboard box to be up but the plastic-wrapped item inside be at only 48 hours.) If I'm not confident as to what the inner packaging will be I either wait 4 days from shipping or dump the box onto the sofa to see if the contents need more quarantine time.

Also, for most packages I bring them in with a grabber rather than by picking them up. Unless they're envelope type things that pretty much means shoving rather than lifting, I couldn't put them in a box if I wanted to.

I only shop once a week to the quarentine box is always emptied before new stull is put in.

We do also quarantine Amazon deliveries and the time depends on the outer packaging materials. Our family is still operating as if we were still under "stay at home" even here vacationing in Maine where per capita positives are much lower than massachusetts.

Just in maine we are redoing hiking and biking at Acadia Nat Park but put our masks on at at least 12 feet from others. We are going to order take out dinner for the first time since this all started.

I only shop once a week to the quarentine box is always emptied before new stull is put in.

Groceries are never a problem but I've had overlap with Amazon packages.

Just in maine we are redoing hiking and biking at Acadia Nat Park but put our masks on at at least 12 feet from others. We are going to order take out dinner for the first time since this all started.

Weather permitting (we are having repeated heat warnings and tying heat records) I've been doing some hiking--my mask goes on if I'm aware of other hikers, period, and if I'm in vegetation thick enough that I might not be aware of them. (There's not much of that here, though.) So far by heading out early enough not only is it cooler but I've not needed my mask much on the way out which is nice as just about everything that's reasonable this time of year goes over 10,000'.

Back
Top Bottom