• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

"Coronavirus and the US" or "We are all going to die!!!!"

Buried in this is a very alarming statistic: 2.4% of US workers are currently disabled (out of the workforce) due to long Covid. The most vulnerable populations were not all that much in the workforce already, they no doubt have an even higher rate.

The trend in heart attacks among young people is still around. Covid-19 was quite the interesting bug. Younger adults 30% higher than expected rate of heart attacks. This was kind of one of those things people warned about with the idiots suggesting we just let everyone get Covid-19 and be done with it... "can't live in fear" you know.

I'm curious what the rate is among people that got Covid-19 post vaccination.

The trend in heart attacks among young people is still around. Covid-19 was quite the interesting bug. Younger adults 30% higher than expected rate of heart attacks. This was kind of one of those things people warned about with the idiots suggesting we just let everyone get Covid-19 and be done with it... "can't live in fear" you know.

A 30% increase in a very small number isn't that big a factor.

You mean it’s not an overall large number. It’s a *factor* of 1.3 regardless.

Yeah--I'm saying it's not that many deaths. The 30% figure sounds a lot more alarming than it really is.

The 2.4% of the US workforce disabled by Long Covid is far scarier to me.

Yeah--I'm saying it's not that many deaths. The 30% figure sounds a lot more alarming than it really is.

The 2.4% of the US workforce disabled by Long Covid is far scarier to me.
I was likely being too pedantic about your use of the word “factor”.

There have been 'multiple cases' of COVID again at my mom's nursing home. I've taken to wearing my mask again. I think mom snuck out of getting her shot in the fall, but I made sure to have her nurse add a note to her file that she is to get it the next round (I think in March).

Well, it had to happen sometime.

I saw someone dick-nosing a KN95.

I find dick-nosing since the mandates went away strange in general, but normally the people who care enough to wear a respirator wear it properly.

Time for some necromancy.

We actually have a randomized study on the effectiveness of masks. Simply surgical vs none. 29% of respiratory infections were prevented. They were unable to compute the odds on Covid infection due to a lack of cases in the masked group.

We actually have a randomized study on the effectiveness of masks. Simply surgical vs none. 29% of respiratory infections were prevented. They were unable to compute the odds on Covid infection due to a lack of cases in the masked group.

Interesting but I wonder why just surgical masks. By 2023 we knew that they were not up to snuff. N95s or KN95 was the way to go. Results on that would be much more interesting. My family ditched surgical masks for N95 and KN95 years ago.

Interesting but I wonder why just surgical masks. By 2023 we knew that they were not up to snuff. N95s or KN95 was the way to go. Results on that would be much more interesting. My family ditched surgical masks for N95 and KN95 years ago.
They stop you from casually and thoughtlessly touching your face.

Most respiratory viral infections aren't from direct inhalation of airbourne droplets, rather they are from virus being transferred to mouth, eyes, or nose, by the victim's fingers, after touching a surface onto which infected droplets have previously landed.

Of course airbourne droplets are a non-zero risk; If you are knowingly exposing yourself to an infected person, it would be unwise to use just a surgical mask.

But for reducing your risk when out in the community where small numbers of infected people are present, anything that reduces the transfer of virus from surfaces to your face will help a lot.

There's a lot more virus settled out on various surfaces, than there is still drifting around as airbourne droplets, unless an infected person coughs or sneezes right in your face.

Last edited:
There is a way to tell how effective masks are in blocking particles exhaled from another person's lungs, if that person is a smoker. If you are wearing a mask and you smell cigarette smoke, then it is likely that you are breathing in particles from another person's lungs. Of course, the smoke could come from the lit end of a cigarette, but people who smoke tend to inhale large quantities of smoke deep into their lungs and then blow it out all around themselves. The smoke particles may not themselves carry coronavirus particles, but what infected people exhale would also be infected droplets along with the smoke. Being around people who are shouting or singing can also increase risk of infection because of the increased volume of exhaled air. That's why you should consider wearing a mask in closed, confined spaces such as an airport, which can expose you to a lot of shouting, laughing, and loudly talking people.

Can you get coronavirus via secondhand smoke? The smell is a warning sign.

It doesn't indicate why they decided not to do respirators also. But the results from surgical are a lot better than I would have expected.

There is a way to tell how effective masks are in blocking particles exhaled from another person's lungs, if that person is a smoker. If you are wearing a mask and you smell cigarette smoke, then it is likely that you are breathing in particles from another person's lungs. Of course, the smoke could come from the lit end of a cigarette, but people who smoke tend to inhale large quantities of smoke deep into their lungs and then blow it out all around themselves. The smoke particles may not themselves carry coronavirus particles, but what infected people exhale would also be infected droplets along with the smoke. Being around people who are shouting or singing can also increase risk of infection because of the increased volume of exhaled air. That's why you should consider wearing a mask in closed, confined spaces such as an airport, which can expose you to a lot of shouting, laughing, and loudly talking people.

Can you get coronavirus via secondhand smoke? The smell is a warning sign.

What's strange is that N95 blocks everything airborne that sets me off, but does not block the smell of cigarette smoke. I've never spent enough time in such a situation to see if I still react. Smoke is a fairly mild trigger for me anyway, nowhere near the abomination that is the scented candle aisle.

I don't think anyone has done a study to determine whether scented candles cause lung cancer or heart disease, but it is probably best to avoid those aisles in stores. You can't always avoid secondhand smoke, unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom