• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

This will send the authoritarians into meltdown;

A huge Orthodox Jewish wedding appears to have taken place in upstate New York Monday evening, despite officials sending a cease and desist order to stop the ceremony. Pictures taken by DailyMail.com show crowds gathering outside the Yetev Lev Synagogue in Kiryas Joel near Monroe for the marriage of two members of prominent ultra-Orthodox families. The state's Health Department had mandated that the wedding be canceled - unless it could be limited to 50 people in each of two reception buildings and that guests wear masks and socially distance, the Middletown Times Herald-Record reported. But by Monday evening unmasked groups were still seen walking in and out of the large synagogue. White tarps from the top of the stairs to the floor blocked the view inside the venue.

DailyMail

Mazel tov ! :hysterical:

Religious nutters, be they Christian, Jewish or what have you are, in fact, dying from there "God will save us" attitude. Just the a few days ago the patriarch of the Serbian Orthodox Church died from Covid 19 - two weeks after administering the funeral to one if his bishops who had also died of the disease. Of course, open casket, no masks, kissing the deceased's forehead, full traditional program. Today, the bishop serving *his* funeral reportedly showed symptoms.

Mutual Aid: How College Students Survive - The New York Times
At many colleges and universities, from underfunded institutions to top-tier private colleges, many students have found themselves unable to meet basic needs during the coronavirus pandemic. Financial insecurity, previously accelerated by rising tuition costs and living expenses, has become even more acute because of the closure of campuses, loss of jobs and slashing of budgets.

In response, across the country, students have created mutual aid networks: raising and redistributing tens of thousands of dollars to help their peers cover housing, medical costs, food and other essentials. Generally, students send in requests for small amounts of money, and network organizers will send them the funds using payment apps like Venmo.
Trevor Charles Gowan on Twitter: "“Ms. Tallapragada at Rice was one of several students who said they started their networks based on the advice of Congresswoman @AOC, who wrote a 12-page mutual aid manual with the activist Mariame Kaba (@PrisonCulture), and tweeted about it in March.” https://t.co/FN7IzwBPEK" / Twitter

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "With COVID upending life as usual and winter around the corner, we’re going to need each other now more than ever.

Learn how to create your neighborhood mutual aid network with the manual we developed with @prisonculture here: (link)" / Twitter

linking to
Mutual Aid 101 Toolkit at AOC's site

A huge Orthodox Jewish wedding appears to have taken place in upstate New York Monday evening, despite officials sending a cease and desist order to stop the ceremony. Pictures taken by DailyMail.com show crowds gathering outside the Yetev Lev Synagogue in Kiryas Joel near Monroe for the marriage of two members of prominent ultra-Orthodox families. The state's Health Department had mandated that the wedding be canceled - unless it could be limited to 50 people in each of two reception buildings and that guests wear masks and socially distance, the Middletown Times Herald-Record reported. But by Monday evening unmasked groups were still seen walking in and out of the large synagogue. White tarps from the top of the stairs to the floor blocked the view inside the venue.

DailyMail

Masks, nope. Distancing that is reasonable, nope. Limiting crowds, that is communism!.

So pretty much any reasonable and non draconian remediation to limit spread while allowing people to have certain events is mocked by the people that don’t want government to intervene more heavily to greatly restrict the spread of the disease.

Just the a few days ago the patriarch of the Serbian Orthodox Church died from Covid 19

He was 90 years old ffs.

So what? Self aware humans with a normal sense of empathy protect the vulnerable. This is also how herd immunity works, by the way. We don't kill them off. That is called eugenics, which is what right wing authoritarian morons promote.

Just the a few days ago the patriarch of the Serbian Orthodox Church died from Covid 19

He was 90 years old ffs.

He was. His age, however, isn't what killed him. His stupidity, stubbornness, resistance even to the most unobtrusive counter measures, and hubris in believing God would spare him - even when it was already clear He didn't spare his bishops - did.

You score at least 3 out of 4 on that list...

Oh goody. Moore-Coulter used to be more about right-wing and left-wing bias and media, but it has gone full on into the Government now.

Simply put, McConnell isn't passing a bill that'll help a Biden economy. We've danced this dance before.

He was. His age, however, isn't what killed him.

Old age seldom kills people, old people dying is inevitable. So what's the plan, keep the lockdown in place until we live to 100, 110, immortality ? Fuck that, I'm out and about doing my thang and no amount of scolding, finger wagging or attempted shaming will stop me.

DailyMail

The question is how many people did they murder pulling this stunt?

Old age seldom kills people, old people dying is inevitable. So what's the plan, keep the lockdown in place until we live to 100, 110, immortality ? Fuck that, I'm out and about doing my thang and no amount of scolding, finger wagging or attempted shaming will stop me.

First, we don't have a lockdown. We have certain activities restricted. Wuhan had a lockdown.

Second, we need to keep it up until enough of the population is vaccinated to drive the R0 below 1.

Protect the vulnerable regardless of age. It's astounding how people with this callous Nazi mentality have no qualms at all about revealing it to the world with a straight face. Protect the vulnerable. Only Nazis kill off the weak on purpose. That's called eugenics. Age or preexisting conditions don't make a human being less human. WTF is wrong with you?

If everyone would simply wear a mask properly, wash their hands and keep apart, the number of viral cases would be far lower. And, while those who are older or who have preexisting conditions are more vulnerable for complications or death, there have been a fairly high number of younger healthy people dying or having prolonged hospitalizations or complications from this virus. I don't know why that's so hard to understand. There have even been some healthy children who have died of this virus.

And, as a retired RN, I resent the assholes who are being so careless. They have no respect for the doctors and nurses who are literally putting their lives on the line, while treating patients who need intensive care. People who won't follow basic guidelines are putting a tremendous amount of stress on the medical community. Hospitals are overwhelmed. There are increasing problems finding enough qualified staff to care for those infected by this virus. Yet, some who are dying are still in denial, according to a few nurses who I've seen interviewed recently on the news.

Nobody is suggesting that everything needs to be locked down, but we are experiencing a world wide pandemic that is killing or in many cases, causing disabilities or prolonged illness in otherwise healthy people. Some people prefer to live in denial, while others are simply selfish. Hopefully, it will only be another six months before vaccines will be available to the general public, but until then, I'm blaming the selfish pricks for making this viral spread much worse that it should be.

Nurses are taught never to judge their patients, but I can only imagine how hard it is to do that when you're caring for those who haven't taken this virus seriously.

Thanksgiving travel is down but not out despite the control freaks trying to curtail it;

Travelers flood airports, roads for Thanksgiving weekend. It's the day before Thanksgiving, and officials are again urging people to be smart, and stay safe, during the COVID-19 pandemic. Despite the warnings, Wednesday is expected to be one of the busiest travel days of the long holiday weekend. The governor has urged people to do the right thing -- stay home and cancel plans. But O'Hare was still seeing people buzz through Wednesday morning, making it hard for travelers to stay 6 feet apart. From the airports, to the roads, to the rails, millions of Americans are traveling for Thanksgiving, despite repeated warnings from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to stay home to help fight the spread of COVID-19. AAA is also predicting that almost 48 million Americans will hit the road over the Thanksgiving holiday, a 4.3% decline from last year, and Wednesday's weather is making road conditions miserable.

News

Thanksgiving travel is down but not out despite the control freaks trying to curtail it;

Travelers flood airports, roads for Thanksgiving weekend. It's the day before Thanksgiving, and officials are again urging people to be smart, and stay safe, during the COVID-19 pandemic. Despite the warnings, Wednesday is expected to be one of the busiest travel days of the long holiday weekend. The governor has urged people to do the right thing -- stay home and cancel plans. But O'Hare was still seeing people buzz through Wednesday morning, making it hard for travelers to stay 6 feet apart. From the airports, to the roads, to the rails, millions of Americans are traveling for Thanksgiving, despite repeated warnings from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to stay home to help fight the spread of COVID-19. AAA is also predicting that almost 48 million Americans will hit the road over the Thanksgiving holiday, a 4.3% decline from last year, and Wednesday's weather is making road conditions miserable.

News

Control freaks? More like survival freaks.

At this point it's highly likely the healthcare system overloads and the death toll goes way up--not just from Covid but from all the other things that put you in the hospital.

News

Control freaks? More like survival freaks.

At this point it's highly likely the healthcare system overloads and the death toll goes way up--not just from Covid but from all the other things that put you in the hospital.

And before he claims "ThAtS NoT dEaThS fRoM CoViD ThOuGh", yes it is. It's called "opportunity cost", and even the rankest of amateurs know that, as long as they didn't sleep through econ 101. The opportunity cost of treating someone for anything respiratory is treating someone else for anything else respiratory, and old people soak beds just as readily as adults and wasn't it TSwizzle who was bitching about the DNR request stuff?

Seriously, we are WAY fucked because the administration did nothing. Oh, and now someone at my workplace may have spread it there, and now I'm having to quarantine in my own home from my own at-risk husband for fucking Thanksgiving. So fuck TSwizzle and everyone who walks around cavalier about a disease, and has done so FROM THE FUCKING BEGINNING, that has unnecessarily spread it and contributed the spread through irresponsible rhetoric to the point it was at LAST month, let alone this one.

People like that are the reason I'm afraid I could become the vector that kills my own goddamn husband: I can't change how other humans behave if they don't care about other people. All I can do is tell them that this is why they will continue to sit outside any fire I tend.

Back
Top Bottom