• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

[TWEET]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Just finished my live on Instagram here: <a href="https://t.co/lPjhqVYaGO">https://t.co/lPjhqVYaGO</a><br><br>As promised— here is the email from the rabid activist declining to give me a test, plus my response to her. She clearly isn’t stable enough to work in health and is a danger to the Aspen community. <a href="https://t.co/nV7xMGqVN3">pic.twitter.com/nV7xMGqVN3</a></p>— Candace Owens (@RealCandaceO) <a href="https://twitter.com/RealCandaceO/status/1433250041314136067?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 2, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/TWEET]

The responses are golden.

Oh my... why does she even need to get tested? I thought it wasn't a big deal? Her husband got it... just like a cold, so why would she care if she has it? Besides, I'm sure there is a livestock feed store near by, as well as a doctor who provides medicine for people with Lupis, and there is plenty of bleach in stock at the grocery store.

Also, why does she have an email from the site? Why didn't she just go there? I had to wait several minutes n the drive-up at the local pharmacy to pick up meds for my Mom while someone was clearly doing a self-administered Covid-19 test.

And bleach I hope.

And maybe he can shove a UV lamp down his throat and another one up his ass.

Light sabers work better.

As regards the lightsabers that have been invented to date, I would pay money to watch that.*

*I would actually not .. I don't want to really see or even hear about people coring themselves out with packpack powered plasma throwers... Except trump. I might watch that out of morbid duty to see it through to the end.

Conservatives Posting Their L’s on Twitter: "Candace Owens tried to book a covid test (which is confusing, considering that Owens calls the coronavirus a hoax), the owner of the private testing center denied her request in the attatched email. It's awesome. (pic link)" / Twitter
I've just learned of this testing request and as the owner of this business am going to refuse this booking and deny service. We cannot support anyone who has pro-actively worked to make this pandemic worse by spreading misinformation, politicizing and DISCOURAGING the wearing of masks and actively dissuading people from receiving life-saving vaccinations.

The only other local testing option is the free kiosk by city hall. They mail their tests to Texas and have inconsistent result times, do not take appointments so its walk in only midday weekdays in their back alley.

My team and myself have worked overtime, to exhaustion, unpaid and underpaid this past year, spending our own capital to ensure that our community remains protected. It would be unfair to them and to the sacrifices we have all made this year to serve you.
CO responded "HOLY CRAP!! I was banned from taking a Covid test because of my politics!"

I love the sight of right-wingers refusing to take responsibility for their actions.

Conservatives Posting Their L’s on Twitter: "Candace Owens tried to book a covid test (which is confusing, considering that Owens calls the coronavirus a hoax), the owner of the private testing center denied her request in the attatched email. It's awesome. (pic link)" / Twitter
I've just learned of this testing request and as the owner of this business am going to refuse this booking and deny service. We cannot support anyone who has pro-actively worked to make this pandemic worse by spreading misinformation, politicizing and DISCOURAGING the wearing of masks and actively dissuading people from receiving life-saving vaccinations.

The only other local testing option is the free kiosk by city hall. They mail their tests to Texas and have inconsistent result times, do not take appointments so its walk in only midday weekdays in their back alley.

My team and myself have worked overtime, to exhaustion, unpaid and underpaid this past year, spending our own capital to ensure that our community remains protected. It would be unfair to them and to the sacrifices we have all made this year to serve you.
CO responded "HOLY CRAP!! I was banned from taking a Covid test because of my politics!"
Don’t the conservatives support businesses choosing to whom they provide service?

I was watching this, by a former House candidate, Donna Imam: "Texas Heartbeat Law, COVID Origins, Afghanistan, Reconciliation" and I found something on the origins of COVID-19 that got very little attention.

Statement by President Joe Biden on the Investigation into the Origins of COVID-⁠19 | The White House
This week, I received the report on the 90-day sprint I asked our intelligence community to conduct into the origins of the COVID-19 pandemic. I am grateful for the thorough, careful, and objective work of our intelligence professionals, and while this review has concluded, our efforts to understand the origins of this pandemic will not rest.
Meaning that there are still some gaps in our knowledge of this bug's origin.
Critical information about the origins of this pandemic exists in the People’s Republic of China, yet from the beginning, government officials in China have worked to prevent international investigators and members of the global public health community from accessing it. To this day, the PRC continues to reject calls for transparency and withhold information, even as the toll of this pandemic continue to rise. We needed this information rapidly, from the PRC, while the pandemic was still new.
That raises the question of why the leaders of Communist China have been so secretive about this virus. Is it some general secretiveness? Or something else?
We will also continue to press the PRC to adhere to scientific norms and standards, including sharing information and data from the earliest days of the pandemic, protocols related to biosafety, and information from animal populations. We must have a full and transparent accounting of this global tragedy. Nothing less is acceptable.
That's good. It's great to have a President who acts like an adult, not like a toddler in the middle of a temper tantrum.

Office of the Director of National Intelligence has that report.

ODNI Issues Summary of Assessment on COVID-19 Origins
As directed by the President, the Intelligence Community completed its 90-day review on the origins of COVID-19. The Office of the Director of National Intelligence released the declassified key takeaways from the assessment that was provided to the President and policymakers last week. The key takeaways are available here.

The Intelligence Community recognizes the historic nature of this pandemic and the importance of informing the American public of our work while protecting sources and methods. To that end, the IC will continue to review the classified assessment with the goal of issuing a declassified version in the near future.
Donna Imam asked why they didn't release the whole thing. I think that they had good reason not to. Communist China's leaders have been very secretive about this virus, and getting information about the virus's origins has likely required some espionage.

Unclassified Summary of Assessment on COVID-19 Origins
The IC assesses that SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, probably emerged and infected humans through an initial small-scale exposure that occurred no later than November 2019 with the first known cluster of COVID-19 cases arising in Wuhan, China in December 2019. In addition, the IC was able to reach broad agreement on several other key issues. We judge the virus was not developed as a biological weapon. Most agencies also assess with low confidence that SARS-CoV-2 probably was not genetically engineered; however, two agencies believe there was not sufficient evidence to make an assessment either way. Finally, the IC assesses China’s officials did not have foreknowledge of the virus before the initial outbreak of COVID-19 emerged.
IC = intelligence community.
After examining all available intelligence reporting and other information, though, the IC remains divided on the most likely origin of COVID-19. All agencies assess that two hypotheses are plausible: natural exposure to an infected animal and a laboratory-associated incident.
In effect, they consider a weak version of the lab-leak hypothesis a likely possibility. The strong version, the bioweapon hypothesis, they consider very unlikely.
Four IC elements and the National Intelligence Council assess with low confidence that the initial SARS-CoV-2 infection was most likely caused by natural exposure to an animal infected with it or a close progenitor virus—a virus that probably would be more than 99 percent similar to SARS-CoV-2. These analysts give weight to China’s officials’ lack of foreknowledge, the numerous vectors for natural exposure, and other factors.
It may take a lot of searching for the virus's closest relatives, however.
One IC element assesses with moderate confidence that the first human infection with SARS-CoV-2 most likely was the result of a laboratory-associated incident, probably involving experimentation, animal handling, or sampling by the Wuhan Institute of Virology. These analysts give weight to the inherently risky nature of work on coronaviruses.
Moderate confidence? That's stronger than the earlier one, but it is only one assessor who says that.

Analysts at three IC elements remain unable to coalesce around either explanation without additional information, with some analysts favoring natural origin, others a laboratory origin, and some seeing the hypotheses as equally likely.

Variations in analytic views largely stem from differences in how agencies weigh intelligence reporting and scientific publications, and intelligence and scientific gaps.

The IC judges they will be unable to provide a more definitive explanation for the origin of COVID-19 unless new information allows them to determine the specific pathway for initial natural contact with an animal or to determine that a laboratory in Wuhan was handling SARS-CoV-2 or a close progenitor virus before COVID-19 emerged.
The different opinions are a typical side effect of inadequate information -- that's actually rather common in cutting-edge scientific research.
The IC—and the global scientific community—lacks clinical samples or a complete understanding of epidemiological data from the earliest COVID-19 cases. If we obtain information on the earliest cases that identified a location of interest or occupational exposure, it may alter our evaluation of hypotheses.
Seems plausible. But short of that, one can collect gene sequences from instances of the virus and attempt to infer the ancestral one. That's  Ancestral sequence reconstruction and it's been done for some proteins.
China’s cooperation most likely would be needed to reach a conclusive assessment of the origins of COVID-19. Beijing, however, continues to hinder the global investigation, resist sharing information and blame other countries, including the United States. These actions reflect, in part, China’s government’s own uncertainty about where an investigation could lead as well as its frustration the international community is using the issue to exert political pressure on China.
Good luck with that.

The virus's origin is not really a question best suited for intelligence agencies to answer, it's mostly a scientific question, barring any smoking gun evidence of shenanigans. And a paper came out a couple of weeks ago that yet again explains that the virus most likely had a natural zoonotic origin.

The Origins of SARS-CoV-2: A Critical Review

The pdf is 33 pages, but the main text is 9 pages. It's mostly readable for a general audience.

It goes over how this virus fits in with other known zoonotic viruses and its lineage and geographic history, and how it is similar to the other known ones. It then goes over lab leak hypotheses and shoots them all down. I'll quote a little from that section.

There are precedents for laboratory incidents leading to isolated infections and transient transmission chains, including SARS-CoV (Parry, 2004). However, with the exception of Marburg virus (Ristanović et al., 2020), all documented laboratory escapes have been of readily identifiable viruses capable of human infection and associated with sustained work in high titer cultures (Geddes, 2006; Lim et al., 2004; Senio, 2003). The 1977 A/H1N1 influenza pandemic, that most likely originated from a large-scale vaccine challenge trial (Rozo and Gronvall, 2015), is the only documented example of a human epidemic or pandemic resulting from research activity. No epidemic has been caused by the escape of a novel virus and there is no data to suggest that the WIV—or any other laboratory—was working on SARS-CoV-2, or any virus close enough to be the progenitor, prior to the COVID-19 pandemic. Viral genomic sequencing without cell culture, which was routinely performed at the WIV, represents a negligible risk as viruses are inactivated during RNA extraction (Blow et al., 2004). No case of laboratory escape has been documented following the sequencing of viral samples.

////

The WIV possesses an extensive catalogue of samples derived from bats (Latinne et al., 2020) and has reportedly successfully cultured three SARSr-CoVs from bats – WIV1, WIV16 and Rs4874 (Ge et al., 2013; Hu et al., 2017; Yang et al., 2015). Importantly, all three viruses are more closely related to SARS-CoV than to SARS-CoV-2 (Ge et al., 2013; Hu et al., 2017; Yang et al., 2015). In contrast, bat virus RaTG13 from the WIV has reportedly never been isolated nor cultured and only exists as a nucleotide sequence assembled from short sequencing reads (Cohen, 2020). The three cultured viruses were isolated from fecal samples through serial amplification in Vero E6 cells, a process that consistently results in the loss of the SARS-CoV-2 furin cleavage site (Davidson et al., 2020; Klimstra et al., 2020; Liu et al., 2020b; Ogando et al., 2020; Sasaki et al., 2021; Wong et al., 2020; Zhu et al., 2021b). It is therefore highly unlikely that these techniques would result in the isolation of a SARS-CoV-2 progenitor with an intact furin cleavage site. No published work indicates that other methods, including the generation of novel reverse genetics systems, were used at the WIV to propagate infectious SARSr-CoVs based on sequence data from bats. Gain-of-function research would be expected to utilize an established SARSr-CoV genomic backbone, or at a minimum a virus previously identified via sequencing. However, past experimental research using recombinant coronaviruses at the WIV has used a genetic backbone (WIV1) unrelated to SARS-CoV-2 (Hu et al., 2017) and SARSCoV-2 carries no evidence of genetic markers one might expect from laboratory experiments (Andersen et al., 2020). There is no rational experimental reason why a new genetic system would be developed using an unknown and unpublished virus, with no evidence nor mention of a SARS-CoV-2-like virus in any prior publication or study from the WIV (Ge et al., 2012; Hu et al., 2017; Menachery et al., 2015), no evidence that the WIV sequenced a virus that is closer to Journal Pre-proof 8 SARS-CoV-2 than RaTG13, and no reason to hide research on a SARS-CoV-2-like virus prior to the COVID-19 pandemic. Under any laboratory escape scenario SARS-CoV-2 would have to have been present in a laboratory prior to the pandemic, yet no evidence exists to support such a notion and no sequence has been identified that could have served as a precursor.

So there was no known virus that could have served as the backbone for this one. The closest one they had was only as sequences not live virus, and it was too genetically different anyway.

Joe Rogan, anti-vax podcaster, has covid.
He's reportedly taking antibodies and ivermectin.
And bleach I hope.

Rogan took more than that, so he says. Monoclonal antibodies, ivermectin, Z-Pak, prednisone, NAD drip and a vitamin drip. What a chump, but at least he got one useful treatment in there. The thought process here is so bizarre - covid is such a nothing that it's not worth taking a vaccine over, but when they get it it's so scary they have to take this extravagant random drug cocktail.

Here's another antivax dewormer case, if Milo can believed about anything.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/PacificChorus/status/1433184245174784010?s=20[/TWEET]

And here's another antivax radio host dead from the hoax disease.

Florida radio host Marc Bernier dead of COVID | Miami Herald

In deep-red Idaho.

All unvaccinated, mostly middle-aged, paralyzed and sedated, reliant on life support and locked in a silent struggle against COVID-19.

Down the hall, another pregnant woman, just 24 and hooked to a ventilator, is lying prone — on top of her developing fetus — to get more air into her ravaged lungs.

Republican Gov. Brad Little urged residents this week to show love for their neighbors by getting vaccinated and announced he was using federal programs and mobilizing the Idaho National Guard to bring in hundreds of additional health care workers.
In response, Lt. Gov. Janice McGeachin called the statement “shameful.”
...people should make their “own health choices.”

They are. Who better?

Not talking about covid and ivermectin, but the assertion that it is not rock solid FDA approved for it is not a sensible reason for it not to be used at all. Maybe the evidence actually is crap and it is a bad idea or maybe it meets a threshhold of risk/reward. But again lack of full rock solid FDA approval does not rule out off label usage. This is from the CDC website about ivermectin for use with scabies.

I bolded the part saying it is a last resort

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/scabies/health_professionals/meds.html

Ivermectin Brand name product: Stromectol* Ivermectin is an oral antiparasitic agent approved for the treatment of worm infestations. Evidence suggests that oral ivermectin may be a safe and effective treatment for scabies; however, ivermectin is not FDA-approved for this use. Oral ivermectin should be considered for patients who have failed treatment with or who cannot tolerate FDA-approved topical medications for the treatment of scabies. If used for classic scabies, two doses of oral ivermectin (200µg/kg/dose) should be taken with food, each approximately one week apart. The safety of ivermectin in children weighing less than 15 kg and in pregnant women has not been established.
Note that although ivermectin guidelines recommend taking on an empty stomach, scabies experts recommend taking with a meal to increase bioavailability (CITE NEJM Currie article).

Are you lunatic radicals going to the CDC headquarters with pitchforks over this scabies usage allowance?

Can you explain how ivermectin is effective against the covid virus?

I feel sorry for the horses. First we take their tranquilizers, and now their deworming drugs.

The virus's origin is not really a question best suited for intelligence agencies to answer, it's mostly a scientific question, barring any smoking gun evidence of shenanigans. And a paper came out a couple of weeks ago that yet again explains that the virus most likely had a natural zoonotic origin.

So there was no known virus that could have served as the backbone for this one. The closest one they had was only as sequences not live virus, and it was too genetically different anyway.
Then why Chinese refuse to cooperate with investigation?

Then why Chinese refuse to cooperate with investigation?

Because Chinese culture has some major flaws surrounding knowledge of abject failure, and any investigation would merely put a spotlight on China even more glaring and make the things they did fuck up concerning (come on, selling fucking BAT MEAT?!?) Zoonotic transfer even worse.

In essence, they could easily be concerned about being revealed as a third world shithole so poor and poorly educated that their citizens buy and trade and sell and EAT bat meat.

And bleach I hope.

Rogan took more than that, so he says. Monoclonal antibodies, ivermectin, Z-Pak, prednisone, NAD drip and a vitamin drip. What a chump, but at least he got one useful treatment in there. The thought process here is so bizarre - covid is such a nothing that it's not worth taking a vaccine over, but when they get it it's so scary they have to take this extravagant random drug cocktail.

Here's another antivax dewormer case, if Milo can believed about anything.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/PacificChorus/status/1433184245174784010?s=20[/TWEET]

And here's another antivax radio host dead from the hoax disease.

Florida radio host Marc Bernier dead of COVID | Miami Herald

tud1egpmw5j71.jpg

Back
Top Bottom